"NO FAT CHICKS" Bumper Stickers

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Wait a second...

I am a straight, white, middle class, male. I think this means I was born into priviledge

I need to know my privileges ASAP plz

Maybe trying to be funny ... but it's not working.

Here's a quick summary of some of your privileges, based on just one of the items on your list:

-If you have a bad day or are in a bad mood, people aren’t going to blame it on your sex
    They blame it on my cray
    -You can be careless with your money and not have people blame it on your sex
    Um...yes they do
    -You can be a careless driver and not have people blame it on your sex
    Aren't women considered better drivers?
    -You can be confident that your coworkers won’t assume you were hired because of your sex
    I was hired because of my sex. Women are rarely hired into construction related positions.
    -If you are never promoted, it isn’t because of your sex
    Women don't get promoted?
    -You can expect to be paid equitably for the work you do, and not paid less because of your sex
    My company has pay grades and most women in non-factory positions get paid more than me.
    -If you are unable to succeed in your career, that won’t be seen as evidence against your sex in the workplace
    If a woman doesn't succeed, she can blame it on sexism
    -A decision to hire you won’t be based on whether or not the employer assumes you will be having children in the near future
    That is a legitimate concern to a business owner.
    -Work comfortably (or walk down a public street) without the fear of sexual harassment
    As a highly desirable male I deal with sexual harassment daily.
    -Walk alone at night without the fear of being raped or otherwise harmed
    As a man I could be jumped by degenerates, while walking alone, to prove their manhood.
    -Go on a date with a stranger without the fear of being raped
    During my last first date I said no repeatedly and was forced.
    -Dress how you want and not worry it will be used as a defense if you are raped
    I'm fairly sure that is no longer a valid defense.
    -If you are straight, you are not likely to be abused by your partner, or to be told to continue living in an abusive household for your children
    I've been hit by women.
    -You can decide not to have children and not have your masculinity questioned
    Yes it is. Men are told all of the time that "they will want to have children in the future".
    -If you choose to have children, you will praised for caring for your children, instead of being expected to be the full-time caretaker
    Plenty of women give SAHMs grief for choosing to stay at home and not entering the workforce.
    -Balance a career and a family without being called selfish for not staying at home (or being constantly pressured to stay at home)
    See above.
    -If you are straight and decide to have children with your partner, you can assume this will not affect your career
    Of course it would.
    -If you rise to prominence in an organization/role, no one will assume it is because you slept your way to the top
    If I did it will likely be because I did just that.
    -You can seek political office without having your sex be a part of your platform
    No, just my sexual preferences and relationships with the opposite sex scrutinized.
    -You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
    I'm pretty sure that this is false.
    -Most political representatives share your sex, particularly the higher-ups
    So?
    -You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
    So?
    -As a child, you were able to find plenty of non-limiting, gender role stereotyped media to view
    I don't understand this.
    -If you don’t spend much time on your appearance, you won’t have to worry about about being criticized at work or in social situations
    My appearance is scrutinized daily.
    -You can spend time on your appearance without having people criticizing you for upholding unhealthy gender norms
    What?
    -If you’re not conventionally attractive (or in shape), you don’t have to worry as much about that negatively affecting your potential
    This is 100% false. Studies have shown that attractive people are promoted more.
    -You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
    Yet that pressure is still there.
    -You’re not expected to spend excessive amounts of money on grooming, style, and appearance to fit in, while making less money than the opposite sex
    Women are not pressured to do so either. Most women look fine with basic grooming.
    -Have promiscuous sex and be viewed positively for it
    Who thinks a man *kitten* is a good thing?
    -You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of
    Those types try to take advantage of everyone.
    -Expressions and conventional language reflects your sex (e.g., mailman, “all men are created equal”)
    So?
    -Every major religion in the world is led by individuals of your sex
    I'm atheist.
    -You can practice religion without subjugating yourself or thinking of yourself as less because of your sex
    See above.
    -You are less likely to be interrupted than members of the opposite sex
    I get interrupted by women all of the time.

(h/t http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/11/30-examples-of-male-privilege/#sthash.mIRp814T.dpuf)

Also white privilege isn't real because some white people are poor.

It's not white privilege, it's majority privilege. It's just a fact of life. Try finding white privilege in South Africa or Japan. It doesn't exist.

Straight hair privilege pisses me off. Straight hair privilege is being able to walk into a store and easily finding a shampoo suitable for your hair, or finding a hairdresser who knows how to cut your hair type. Boob privilege is being able to find shirts that fit you correctly, or bathing suits outside of the girls section. Free boob jobs for all!!! Screw average boob privilege.

...are you point to South Africa of all places and saying white privilege doesn't exist?

For. Real?

I cannot.
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    I think the fake testicles hanging from pick-up trucks are worse personally.

I get good laugh every time I see the blue balls myself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think we need to get back on topic.

3606f656-6896-45b8-bcf2-24402e64397c_zps4878b4f6.jpg

But never in his truck
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Try finding white privilege in South Africa
    giphy.gif
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    18ww6id72icdkgif.gif
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Wait a second...

I am a straight, white, middle class, male. I think this means I was born into priviledge

Here's a quick summary of some of your privileges, based on just one of the items on your list:

-If you have a bad day or are in a bad mood, people aren’t going to blame it on your sex
    They blame it on my cray
    Um...yes they do
    -You can be confident that your coworkers won’t assume you were hired because of your sex
    I was hired because of my sex. Women are rarely hired into construction related positions.
    -You can expect to be paid equitably for the work you do, and not paid less because of your sex
    My company has pay grades and most women in non-factory positions get paid more than me.
    -If you are unable to succeed in your career, that won’t be seen as evidence against your sex in the workplace
    -A decision to hire you won’t be based on whether or not the employer assumes you will be having children in the near future
    -Work comfortably (or walk down a public street) without the fear of sexual harassment
    As a man I could be jumped by degenerates, while walking alone, to prove their manhood.
    -If you are straight, you are not likely to be abused by your partner, or to be told to continue living in an abusive household for your children
    I've been hit by women.
    Yes it is. Men are told all of the time that "they will want to have children in the future".
    -If you choose to have children, you will praised for caring for your children, instead of being expected to be the full-time caretaker
    Plenty of women give SAHMs grief for choosing to stay at home and not entering the workforce.
    -Balance a career and a family without being called selfish for not staying at home (or being constantly pressured to stay at home)
    See above.
    -If you are straight and decide to have children with your partner, you can assume this will not affect your career
    Of course it would.
    -If you rise to prominence in an organization/role, no one will assume it is because you slept your way to the top
    -You can seek political office without having your sex be a part of your platform
    No, just my sexual preferences and relationships with the opposite sex scrutinized.
    -You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
    So?
    -You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
    So?
    -As a child, you were able to find plenty of non-limiting, gender role stereotyped media to view
    I don't understand this.
    -If you don’t spend much time on your appearance, you won’t have to worry about about being criticized at work or in social situations
    -You can spend time on your appearance without having people criticizing you for upholding unhealthy gender norms
    What?
    -If you’re not conventionally attractive (or in shape), you don’t have to worry as much about that negatively affecting your potential
    This is 100% false. Studies have shown that attractive people are promoted more.
    -You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
    -You’re not expected to spend excessive amounts of money on grooming, style, and appearance to fit in, while making less money than the opposite sex
    Women are not pressured to do so either. Most women look fine with basic grooming.
    -You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of
    -Expressions and conventional language reflects your sex (e.g., mailman, “all men are created equal”)
    So?
    I'm atheist.
    -You can practice religion without subjugating yourself or thinking of yourself as less because of your sex
    See above.

(h/t http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/11/30-examples-of-male-privilege/#sthash.mIRp814T.dpuf)

It's not white privilege, it's majority privilege. It's just a fact of life. Try finding white privilege in South Africa or Japan. It doesn't exist.

Straight hair privilege pisses me off. Straight hair privilege is being able to walk into a store and easily finding a shampoo suitable for your hair, or finding a hairdresser who knows how to cut your hair type. Boob privilege is being able to find shirts that fit you correctly, or bathing suits outside of the girls section. Free boob jobs for all!!! Screw average boob privilege.

Pfff, boob privilege...

(go go new profile pic)

*gives you all of my privileges....and takes some of Dav's to give you as well*
  • Sleevarilla
    Sleevarilla Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Anyone been lucky enough to see one of these on the back of some *kitten*'s car? Makes me want to take a sledgehammer to it.

Imagine if there was a similar sticker referring to another group based on appearance. I can think of a few examples that would not be legal. These should be illegal too I reckon.

This is the logic that got Obama elected. Twice.

Its called freedom of speech. You can read about it in the US Constitution. While I personally think you are a turd if this is on your car, i also feel you shouldn't have your right to look like an idiot infringed upon...

This. And this again.
  • douglasedward
    douglasedward Posts: 20 Member
    Options

...are you point to South Africa of all places and saying white privilege doesn't exist?

For. Real?

I cannot.

9CScZOM.jpg
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You might want to research what is going on in South Africa right now. Black privilege in South Africa not having your homes burned to the ground, your children raped and beheaded, your husband tortured and you forced to eat his penis during the ongoing boer genocide.

I'm South African, please tell me what is going there right now? Please tell me how many of these tortures and murders are investigated and justice handed out?

Pfft.
    Wait a second...

They blame it on my cray
    Um...yes they do
    I've been hit by women.
    See above.
    Of course it would.
    So?
    So?
    I don't understand this.
    What?
    So?
    I'm atheist.
    See above.

For. Real?

I cannot.
  • Daiako
    Options

I KNOW!!!!

This has to be a joke. It can't be serious! My mind is blown.

Next people will be telling me racism doesn't exist in Australia and it's just American perception!
  • Daiako
    Options
    You might want to research what is going on in South Africa right now. Black privilege in South Africa not having your homes burned to the ground, your children raped and beheaded, your husband tortured and you forced to eat his penis during the ongoing boer genocide.

I'm South African, please tell me what is going there right now? Please tell me how many of these tortures and murders are investigated and justice handed out?

Pfft.
    Wait a second...

They blame it on my cray
    Um...yes they do
    I've been hit by women.
    See above.
    Of course it would.
    So?
    So?
    I don't understand this.
    What?
    So?
    I'm atheist.
    See above.

For. Real?

I cannot.

Oh.

So. You just don't understand what white privilege means.

I see where your issue lies now.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Srs answer: I'm not saying that minorities/women/-sexuals aren't treated substandard on a social level. But rather this "privilege" that is thrown around isn't a privilege. It is how all people should expect to be treated as a standard.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Goes on and on about white privilege, meanwhile hasn't even heard of the ongoing genocide against the Boers in South Africa.

I KNOW!!!!

This has to be a joke. It can't be serious! My mind is blown.

Next people will be telling me racism doesn't exist in Australia and it's just American perception!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Wait, aren't white people in South Africa pretty well off?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I understand it fine. You are the one who is mistaken. I recognize white privilege, but it's not some nefarious plot, it's the privilege of the majority. Travel around the world and see the majority of privilege of other countries. Then try convincing them how awful it is.

Pfft.
    Wait a second...

They blame it on my cray
    Um...yes they do
    I've been hit by women.
    See above.
    Of course it would.
    So?
    So?
    I don't understand this.
    What?
    So?
    I'm atheist.
    See above.

For. Real?

I cannot.

Oh.

So. You just don't understand what white privilege means.

I see where your issue lies now.
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Srs answer: I'm not saying that minorities/women/-sexuals aren't treated substandard on a social level. But rather this "privilege" that is thrown around isn't a privilege. It is how all people should expect to be treated as a standard.
    This 'privilege' isn't like when your mom says that birthday parties are a privilege that needs to be earned, and not a right... this is kind of a different concept from that?

I fully agree, it'd be great if we could all be treated as well as straight white men are. But we aren't, and discussions of privilege are a way of acknowledging that. That's what we're talking about when we use the word privilege.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    18ww06h4c97yagif.gif
  • Daiako
    Options

In spite of being the minority they control the vast majority of industry, land, and wealth.

That is white privilege. The notion that hard times, even overwhelming gross and disgusting circumstances, invalidates this is..laughable and shows a lack if understanding of the concept.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Sure, if you are rich and can afford your own security and mercenaries.

Everyday farmers are being slaughtered. And who could have seen this coming when Zuma (the president) sings "kill the boers (whites) at televised events and celebrations? If white privilege exists in South Africa right now, why have none of you heard about what's going on? Why hasn't the UN stepped in when South African whites were placed on the genocide watch list? Nobody cares, that's why. That's some good white privilege right there.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We could just make a similar sticker that says "No Stupid People" and weed out 70% of the population. ;)
This discussion has been closed.