"NO FAT CHICKS" Bumper Stickers

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it is wrong to be against chicken obesity. I get the Foul Acceptance movement is meant to be a good thing, but chickens are dying daily out there and I think that is more important than protecting the feelings of overweight chicks.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Wait. This thing went from "No Fat Chicks" bumper stickers to Obama to reverse discrimination by the 3rd page? This thread needs a round of shots or at least some medical herb.
    So just you know, I blame Obama.

I blame Max Wright.

attachment.jpg
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    Ah,yes yes, these stickers are quite popular in agricultural areas....you see, it is being taken out of context.

They are really referring to actual chicks and it may be related to some sort of Willie Nelson, Farm-Aid movement.

5244438015_143a69d196.jpg
    Hormonal doping of our chickens for faster growth has gone too far! No more growth hormones, no more fat chicks!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    e75bf2425253e9981161b901a0cb36f67dac22b56c162ce5964baa84cb9125db.jpg
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ah,yes yes, these stickers are quite popular in agricultural areas....you see, it is being taken out of context.

They are really referring to actual chicks and it may be related to some sort of Willie Nelson, Farm-Aid movement.

5244438015_143a69d196.jpg
    Hormonal doping of our chickens for faster growth has gone too far! No more growth hormones, no more fat chicks!

Check your privileged, hormonal chickens!
  • awoodfell1117
    awoodfell1117 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we go to a car meet every Saturday and I see those stickers all the time. As a bigger girl I kinda find them offensive. But one of the guys that has them on his car is not small in any means which pisses me off that he would even put something like that on his own car. That just makes him a complete hypocrite and *kitten*.
  • wheird
    Options
    Yeah, we go to a car meet every Saturday and I see those stickers all the time. As a bigger girl I kinda find them offensive. But one of the guys that has them on his car is not small in any means which pisses me off that he would even put something like that on his own car. That just makes him a complete hypocrite and *kitten*.

It isn't hypocritical to have a preference
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What makes him a hypocrite? He's not a chick
  • wheird
    Options

Some people are just fowl
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Actions have consequences.

I'd bet cars with truck nuts or "no fat chicks" stickers get keyed more often than cars without.

Absolutely. A guy in my complex has his lifted-up d-bag truck all decked out with some rather nasty bumper stickers, gun rack, flag, etc., and now parks his car two blocks over because it kept getting vandalized in our family-friendly complex. Not saying it's okay to vandalize someone else's property, but I don't really have any sympathy for the guy either.

Inflammatory bumper stickers are a form of trolling. If you put out bait, you gotta expect to get a bite once in awhile.

Let me see if I get this right...

I don't have the right to put tasteless bumper stickers on my vehicle, but you have the right to deface and vandalize my private property if I do it anyways.

You do have a right to put tasteless bumper stickers on your vehicle, and I don't want to deface or vandalize your private property--but other people do, and so IT HAPPENS.

If you put inflammatory things on your car you have to expect that someone somewhere with low self-control is going to get pissed off and retaliate.

I almost got attacked by a RWNJ just for having an Obama/Biden sticker on my car (But he backed down when I failed to flee his fist-lead charge. Thank you Aikido...).

And even if you are far-right in your politics, you have to admit the guy had to be a nut-job to fly into a fist-flailing rage at the sight of a mere campaign bumper-sticker with no more than the names of politicians on it.

The bolded sounds like, "If you wear revealing clothing, you shouldn't be surprised if something 'happens' to you."
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    As a social scientist and teacher, I could write a loooong post about the psychological harm done by hateful statements like the on the bumper sticker, a sociological examination of what it means that crap like that is sold, and an philosophical essay of how harm factors into decisions of what should be legal and illegal...

But nah. I'm gonna go watch a Sherlock rerun instead.
  • wheird
    Options
    Wait a second...

I am a straight, white, middle class, male. I think this means I was born into priviledge

I need to know my privileges ASAP plz
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Some people are just fowl

Total jive turkeys..
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Actions have consequences.

I'd bet cars with truck nuts or "no fat chicks" stickers get keyed more often than cars without.

Absolutely. A guy in my complex has his lifted-up d-bag truck all decked out with some rather nasty bumper stickers, gun rack, flag, etc., and now parks his car two blocks over because it kept getting vandalized in our family-friendly complex. Not saying it's okay to vandalize someone else's property, but I don't really have any sympathy for the guy either.

Inflammatory bumper stickers are a form of trolling. If you put out bait, you gotta expect to get a bite once in awhile.

Let me see if I get this right...

I don't have the right to put tasteless bumper stickers on my vehicle, but you have the right to deface and vandalize my private property if I do it anyways.

You do have a right to put tasteless bumper stickers on your vehicle, and I don't want to deface or vandalize your private property--but other people do, and so IT HAPPENS.

If you put inflammatory things on your car you have to expect that someone somewhere with low self-control is going to get pissed off and retaliate.

I almost got attacked by a RWNJ just for having an Obama/Biden sticker on my car (But he backed down when I failed to flee his fist-lead charge. Thank you Aikido...).

And even if you are far-right in your politics, you have to admit the guy had to be a nut-job to fly into a fist-flailing rage at the sight of a mere campaign bumper-sticker with no more than the names of politicians on it.

The bolded sounds like, "If you wear revealing clothing, you should be surprised if something 'happens' to you."

FINALLY! A non-inflammatory direction for the thread to go!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I think the correct term is "African American" and not "Black People" :) Live and let live. Just remember, all police officers my not be slender. Karma's a ":^%! :)

i strongly prefer "black people". not even kidding.

As a white guy, can I also prefer "black people"? I mean, I fine with defining as white.

As a non-native speaker of English I am curious to know what you call black people living legally ( I am pointing this out, because I am tired of people telling me " call them illegals " ) in the US who are not Americans ?
    If " black People " is not correct, what is ?

Sounds like 'illegal' trumps 'black'. I guess because illegal aliens don't have legal US status, sooo....yeah.
    This is turning hella complicated :laugh:

But I am not speaking of anyone illegal and made my remark because too many US citizens automatically assume that blacks from Africa or the Caribbean are automatically illegal, while the majority are actually not. They are often legal residents of the US, but are not African Americans as so many assume without thinking. So, what are they called, in case I have to be PC one day.....:o).... ?
    I used to work with a group of people in Haiti who previously had lived/worked in the US, but returned after the earthquake and they complained that so many in the US automatically assumed they were illegal when they heard they were not African Americans.

Yes. I know exactly what you mean.
    <<<< West Indian.

As a teen and young adult, I would go for a job interview and all would be well until they I got to the office. My first and last name is very very Italian. So when I got there, I was not what they expected.

Without fail, I would be asked if I could work legally in this country. :huh: I had no accent other than that of a girl from Queens and could'nt figure out why they would assume I wasn't in this country legally.

I would be asked to produce my green card & each time, it would be scrutinized because I don't think they ever saw one before. Most people were quite perplexed by it. Or maybe it was my ability to produce it :sick: I dunno. I never did understand. Shrug.

I think it's just out of ignorance.

edited to add: by the way, I'm not black :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    As a social scientist and teacher, I could write a loooong post about the psychological harm done by hateful statements like the on the bumper sticker, a sociological examination of what it means that crap like that is sold, and an philosophical essay of how harm factors into decisions of what should be legal and illegal...

Noooooooo! Please tell us all how to recreate society from your unique perspective and using your expertise. Pretty please?
  • douglasedward
    douglasedward Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wait a second...

I am a straight, white, middle class, male. I think this means I was born into priviledge

Maybe trying to be funny ... but it's not working.

Here's a quick summary of some of your privileges, based on just one of the items on your list:

-If you have a bad day or are in a bad mood, people aren’t going to blame it on your sex
    -You can be careless with your money and not have people blame it on your sex
    -You can be a careless driver and not have people blame it on your sex
    -You can be confident that your coworkers won’t assume you were hired because of your sex
    -If you are never promoted, it isn’t because of your sex
    -You can expect to be paid equitably for the work you do, and not paid less because of your sex
    -If you are unable to succeed in your career, that won’t be seen as evidence against your sex in the workplace
    -A decision to hire you won’t be based on whether or not the employer assumes you will be having children in the near future
    -Work comfortably (or walk down a public street) without the fear of sexual harassment
    -Walk alone at night without the fear of being raped or otherwise harmed
    -Go on a date with a stranger without the fear of being raped
    -Dress how you want and not worry it will be used as a defense if you are raped
    -If you are straight, you are not likely to be abused by your partner, or to be told to continue living in an abusive household for your children
    -You can decide not to have children and not have your masculinity questioned
    -If you choose to have children, you will praised for caring for your children, instead of being expected to be the full-time caretaker
    -Balance a career and a family without being called selfish for not staying at home (or being constantly pressured to stay at home)
    -If you are straight and decide to have children with your partner, you can assume this will not affect your career
    -If you rise to prominence in an organization/role, no one will assume it is because you slept your way to the top
    -You can seek political office without having your sex be a part of your platform
    -You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
    -Most political representatives share your sex, particularly the higher-ups
    -You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
    -As a child, you were able to find plenty of non-limiting, gender role stereotyped media to view
    -If you don’t spend much time on your appearance, you won’t have to worry about about being criticized at work or in social situations
    -You can spend time on your appearance without having people criticizing you for upholding unhealthy gender norms
    -If you’re not conventionally attractive (or in shape), you don’t have to worry as much about that negatively affecting your potential
    -You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
    -You’re not expected to spend excessive amounts of money on grooming, style, and appearance to fit in, while making less money than the opposite sex
    -Have promiscuous sex and be viewed positively for it
    -You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of
    -Expressions and conventional language reflects your sex (e.g., mailman, “all men are created equal”)
    -Every major religion in the world is led by individuals of your sex
    -You can practice religion without subjugating yourself or thinking of yourself as less because of your sex
    -You are less likely to be interrupted than members of the opposite sex

(h/t http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/11/30-examples-of-male-privilege/#sthash.mIRp814T.dpuf)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think the correct term is "African American" and not "Black People" :) Live and let live. Just remember, all police officers my not be slender. Karma's a ":^%! :)

i strongly prefer "black people". not even kidding.

As a white guy, can I also prefer "black people"? I mean, I fine with defining as white.

As a non-native speaker of English I am curious to know what you call black people living legally ( I am pointing this out, because I am tired of people telling me " call them illegals " ) in the US who are not Americans ?
    If " black People " is not correct, what is ?

Sounds like 'illegal' trumps 'black'. I guess because illegal aliens don't have legal US status, sooo....yeah.
    This is turning hella complicated :laugh:

But I am not speaking of anyone illegal and made my remark because too many US citizens automatically assume that blacks from Africa or the Caribbean are automatically illegal, while the majority are actually not. They are often legal residents of the US, but are not African Americans as so many assume without thinking. So, what are they called, in case I have to be PC one day.....:o).... ?
    I used to work with a group of people in Haiti who previously had lived/worked in the US, but returned after the earthquake and they complained that so many in the US automatically assumed they were illegal when they heard they were not African Americans.

Yes. I know exactly what you mean.
    <<<< West Indian.

As a teen and young adult, I would go for a job interview and all would be well until they I got to the office. My first and last name is very very Italian. So when I got there, I was not what they expected.

Without fail, I would be asked if I could work legally in this country. :huh: I had no accent other than that of a girl from Queens and could'nt figure out why they would assume I wasn't in this country legally.

I would be asked to produce my green card & each time, it would be scrutinized because I don't think they ever saw one before. Most people were quite perplexed by it. Or maybe it was my ability to produce it :sick: I dunno. I never did understand. Shrug.

I think it's just out of ignorance.

edited to add: by the way, I'm not black :laugh:

Just be thankful that you're not a white male. The discrimination and persecution they have faced since affirmative action is downright atrocious.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Provide an abstract and call it a day.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Wait a second...

Maybe trying to be funny ... but it's not working.

Here's a quick summary of some of your privileges, based on just one of the items on your list:

-If you have a bad day or are in a bad mood, people aren’t going to blame it on your sex
    -You can be careless with your money and not have people blame it on your sex
    -You can be a careless driver and not have people blame it on your sex
    -You can be confident that your coworkers won’t assume you were hired because of your sex
    -If you are never promoted, it isn’t because of your sex
    -You can expect to be paid equitably for the work you do, and not paid less because of your sex
    -If you are unable to succeed in your career, that won’t be seen as evidence against your sex in the workplace
    -A decision to hire you won’t be based on whether or not the employer assumes you will be having children in the near future
    -Work comfortably (or walk down a public street) without the fear of sexual harassment
    -Walk alone at night without the fear of being raped or otherwise harmed
    -Go on a date with a stranger without the fear of being raped
    -Dress how you want and not worry it will be used as a defense if you are raped
    -If you are straight, you are not likely to be abused by your partner, or to be told to continue living in an abusive household for your children
    -You can decide not to have children and not have your masculinity questioned
    -If you choose to have children, you will praised for caring for your children, instead of being expected to be the full-time caretaker
    -Balance a career and a family without being called selfish for not staying at home (or being constantly pressured to stay at home)
    -If you are straight and decide to have children with your partner, you can assume this will not affect your career
    -If you rise to prominence in an organization/role, no one will assume it is because you slept your way to the top
    -You can seek political office without having your sex be a part of your platform
    -You can seek political office without fear of your relationship with your children, or who you hire to take care of them, being scrutinized by the press
    -Most political representatives share your sex, particularly the higher-ups
    -You can ask for the “person in charge” and will likely be greeted by a member of your sex
    -As a child, you were able to find plenty of non-limiting, gender role stereotyped media to view
    -If you don’t spend much time on your appearance, you won’t have to worry about about being criticized at work or in social situations
    -You can spend time on your appearance without having people criticizing you for upholding unhealthy gender norms
    -If you’re not conventionally attractive (or in shape), you don’t have to worry as much about that negatively affecting your potential
    -You are not pressured by peers and society to be thin as much as the opposite sex
    -You’re not expected to spend excessive amounts of money on grooming, style, and appearance to fit in, while making less money than the opposite sex
    -Have promiscuous sex and be viewed positively for it
    -You can go to a car dealership or mechanic and assume you’ll get a fair deal and not be taken advantage of
    -Expressions and conventional language reflects your sex (e.g., mailman, “all men are created equal”)
    -Every major religion in the world is led by individuals of your sex
    -You can practice religion without subjugating yourself or thinking of yourself as less because of your sex
    -You are less likely to be interrupted than members of the opposite sex

(h/t http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/11/30-examples-of-male-privilege/#sthash.mIRp814T.dpuf)

From a female, this is horsechit.
This discussion has been closed.