Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options
Hey everyone, I just want some peoples opinion on this or what you would have done if you were in my shoes.

I joined a boxing class a few weeks ago. It was new to the area so it was her new class trying it out in someones boxing gym.

It was once a week.The first class had mostly teenagers and some adults. I loved it and was pumped to go again. The next class came and I admit it was my fault for being a tad bit late 15 minutes. However, the first class there were several people late who were greeted by the instructor and given instructions on what they should do.

So today, when I came in, she saw me, did not acknowledge my existence, I got undressed and stood there like an idiot and she continued teaching the class jab, cross hook etc. Walking around. She saw me for sure. Did not care. I know disrupting a class is rude, but there were partnered people waiting for her to come approach them one by one so it's not like she was teaching a lesson or a yoga class. People were waiting their turn.I got a very bad vibe, got dressed and walked out. There was even less people than last time. With an attitude like that no wonder she just came to this boxing ring. Half the people did not even show up.

I got a bad vibe from her the first class when I told her I had a bad posture after 3 kids. She said well everyone has kids. I have a son too...it was pretty rude the way she said it..

Anyways, I just got dressed and walked out without a word. Did I overreact? What would you have done? Waste of money but I'm not going to lower myself and ask for my $20 back.

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would not have been late.

Being late is rude. It tells the instructor that you don't care enough to be on time. I do not blame the instructor at all.

The instructor is going to give their time to people who show up on time.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Being late, especially in a class that requires the instructor to interact with everyone, is incredibly rude. If this class is important to you, then you need to show up before the class starts.

Saying you have bad posture because you had children is a little strange. Did you have a difficult pregnancy or something? If anything, the weight from carrying a baby probably exacerbated an existing problem. Posture is something you can fix. Lots of people have children and go on to have good posture. You were giving her an excuse, she was letting you know it's just an excuse.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    since fitness classes are usually 50-60 minutes, arriving 15 mins after the start is not "a tad bit late". not only did others make it on time, i'm betting quite a few arrived early so they could ask questions of the instructor about things they weren't sure about. everyone else was there in time to get partnered up, put in the right positions, and hear the instructions about the day's class.

for you to get there after missing 30% of the class and expect everyone to stop, drop, and roll at your arrival is rude. don't blame your kids for your rudeness.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    If you miss the first 15 minutes of a class, you should probably just skip it. I'd think you didn't care enough about the class to make the effort to show-up on time. Are you late for work? Treat your fitness class like you would your job. It's supposed to be "work."
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm the one being a jerk, I try to make it out like the other guy is being the jerk. It's human nature I think.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    On the very rare occasion that I have been late for my kettlebells class I find a space at the side and do a warm up routine so that I am ready to join the group at an appropriate time. I am talking 5 mins late, 15 mins late is too late to join a class.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's extremely rude to be late like that, and it was only your second class (not like you had been on time for a year and then you were late once).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    "There is nothing so annoying as to have two people go right on talking when you're interrupting." - Mark Twain
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    At my gym if you miss the warm up time the instructor says you can't join in with the class. It's a fair rule as you could injure yourself.

Don't be disruptive. Case closed.
  • mariahk89
    Options
    I think you guys missed the part where I said there were several others late before me during the first class and it did not bother her at all. She was polite to them. It seems like an inferiority complex some women have. 3 kids and breastfeeding does affect posture. She gave off rude vibes in the beginning. a friend who knows her also said she thinks shes superior to others.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Her having an attitude doesn't excuse your rudeness in showing up late. You were the one in the wrong in this particular situation.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think you guys missed the part where I said there were several others late before me during the first class and it did not bother her at all. She was polite to them. It seems like an inferiority complex some women have. 3 kids and breastfeeding does affect posture. She gave off rude vibes in the beginning. a friend who knows her also said she thinks shes superior to others.

You're right, she was just jealous of you
  • mariahk89
    Options
    Right but I apologized...What is her issue since the beginning? Ive been to several classes and never had an instructor so arrogant.

Davpaul who the heck is blaming my kids?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's probably for the best. Combat sports and hypersensitivity don't generally mix well.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    Right but I apologized...What is her issue since the beginning? Ive been to several classes and never had an instructor so arrogant.

Since we weren't there, how can we tell? YOU, however, seem to have kind of an attitude and excuses at the ready. Who cares if she has a problem? Stop making excuses, show up on time, get your workout, and leave. She's not there to be your buddy, she's there to lead the group fitness class. She's SUPPOSED to be confident and kind of pushy. What good is a trainer that's wishy washy and just accepts an excuse? Her JOB is to not accept excuses and to make you perform your best.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    lol, some of you make it sound like OP was interrupting surgery. Being 15 minutes late to a fitness class isn't ideal, but isn't exactly a signal for the end of times either.

I would've at least tried to signal the teacher in a quiet moment before opting to leave though...and I wouldn't overblow the posture comment either.
  • mariahk89
    Options
    I am in a kickboxing class already so Im pretty experienced with combat sports. Maybe it was the fact that I was older than her and most of the class. Did you miss out of 30 people only 12 showed up on her 2nd class? And a fyi she cancelled on her 2nd class too. Technically this was supposed to be the 3rd.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think you got your answer. People being late on another occasion has nothing to do with you coming in 15 minutes late now.

Probably best to just find something else to do.

Usually people here are pretty divided.. not this time. It was you :D
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    lol, some of you make it sound like OP was interrupting surgery. Being 15 minutes late to a fitness class isn't ideal, but isn't exactly a signal for the end of times either.

I would've at least tried to signal the teacher in a quiet moment before opting to leave though...and I wouldn't overblow the posture comment either.

No, it's not ideal, but it's not like a Zumba class either where you can just take a spot in the back and jump in. This class sounds like it needs a lot of direct interaction with the instructor and actually needs proper warming up.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know with aikido it is really hard when parents don't get their kids on the mat in time. The class is only an hour long and if they miss warm ups, they miss out on some of the most important techniques. It's not as bad with the adults, but warm ups are just as important. I would think she would have said something the first class when people were late, but maybe she isn't used to running her own class yet? Also if people were already working together you can interrupt their instruction. She would be supervising their training while teaching others, and really is spread thin already.

As for the posture thing, mine as never being great and it's something I have to work on. I certainly don't blame my kids.

Also if you don't like this lady, find someone you do like.
This discussion has been closed.