Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the dissenter. Yes, showing up late is rude, but it's not highschool where the fitness instructor is an authority figure. She is getting paid to do a job. If she wanted to close the class to late arrivals she should've said so. You DO NOT ignore people. She should have went up to OP and either let her join, or explain why she can't. Her actions were unprofessional and a tad arrogant. If she wants to keep and expand her client base then she needs to act like an adult.

I would've left too. And I would be damned if she saw me back in her class again. And yes, I would go and get a refund and tell her exactly why I wanted one.

While I understand where you are coming from, I see two major points you are not considering -

1. In order to accommodate the late comer, the instructor must disengage from those that actually turned up on time. The instructor would have to catch her up on what they were doing, demonstrate technique again, etc.... In martial arts, drills can be complex, and getting the move right is important. It's not step-aerobics or zumba where you can just follow along and have fun even if you aren't doing quite the same movement. By engaging the single new comer, the instructor is instead being rude to the 15 other people in the class, who also paid.

2. Again, unlike an aerobics class, in martial arts you are basically being taught how to beat the snot out of someone. Students are expected to have a level of discipline and responsibility commensurate to this. Most MA instructors take this very seriously. Again, it's not a lifestyle that is for everyone. The money argument is understandable, but learning discipline is an integral part of MA and therefore you are actually paying the instructor to be like this. To then say "I don't have to abide by your rules because I pay you" is completely counter to what you are paying to learn.

I never said it wasn't suppose to be like this, as I take striking classes. But when I signed up, they told me if I was late I wouldn't be able to participate. I also signed that I wouldn't be given a refund. If a person walks in late, the instructor tells them they can't participate.

This woman did none of these things. She treated OP like dog chit. There is a difference between Instilling discipline and just being an *kitten* hole. My instructor is a mentor, not a tyrant or a smug person. If I feel disrespected, I'm not going to participate. And any teacher worth a damn feels the same. Yes push me and hold me accountable, but treat me like I'm dirt under your heel and I am gone. This instructor needs to learn the difference between being a hard teacher, and being an arrogant *kitten* hat. If I had been in her class and witnessed how she treated OP, I would not be returning. All she had to say is "if you are late, you cannot participate". Instead she treated OP subhuman in refusing to acknowledge her presence.

I think you need to reread the OP. The instructor didn't kick her out of the class, she just didn't run over to her when she strolled in a quarter of the way through class. There is nothing rude or disrespectful about what the instructor did. It was not "treating her like dog chit."

However, considering it's not high school, the fact that the OP was 15 minutes late is even worse on her part. She was not the only person who paid to take the course, and strolling in 15 minutes late shows disrespect not only for the instructor whose responsibility it is to educate and teach students proper and safe practice, but for the other students who did show up on time. To expect the instructor to drop everything when someone arrives 15 minutes late to class is ridiculous.

You need to reread my post. I said she should have kicked her out of class, or let her join. Refusing to acknowledge someone's presence (as OP stated she waited and the instructor looked at her but chose to ignore her) is treating some like dog chit. I don't care if OP was rude by arriving late, that does not give the instructor the right to treat her as if she was beneath her. He instructor needs to take control of her class and herself. If I were instructing that class and neglected to make this rule clear in the beginning, then I would let her join. Once the class was over I would clearly state the rules, and what to expect if you were late. At the very least I would tell her she could not participate that day. If OP has a habit of this, then it would remove her from my class.

It's called propriety. Just because OP doesn't practice it doesn't mean the instructor has a right to be rude. If somebody is rude to me I am not rude back. We aren't children.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the dissenter. Yes, showing up late is rude, but it's not highschool where the fitness instructor is an authority figure. She is getting paid to do a job. If she wanted to close the class to late arrivals she should've said so. You DO NOT ignore people. She should have went up to OP and either let her join, or explain why she can't. Her actions were unprofessional and a tad arrogant. If she wants to keep and expand her client base then she needs to act like an adult.

I would've left too. And I would be damned if she saw me back in her class again. And yes, I would go and get a refund and tell her exactly why I wanted one.

While I understand where you are coming from, I see two major points you are not considering -

1. In order to accommodate the late comer, the instructor must disengage from those that actually turned up on time. The instructor would have to catch her up on what they were doing, demonstrate technique again, etc.... In martial arts, drills can be complex, and getting the move right is important. It's not step-aerobics or zumba where you can just follow along and have fun even if you aren't doing quite the same movement. By engaging the single new comer, the instructor is instead being rude to the 15 other people in the class, who also paid.

2. Again, unlike an aerobics class, in martial arts you are basically being taught how to beat the snot out of someone. Students are expected to have a level of discipline and responsibility commensurate to this. Most MA instructors take this very seriously. Again, it's not a lifestyle that is for everyone. The money argument is understandable, but learning discipline is an integral part of MA and therefore you are actually paying the instructor to be like this. To then say "I don't have to abide by your rules because I pay you" is completely counter to what you are paying to learn.

I never said it wasn't suppose to be like this, as I take striking classes. But when I signed up, they told me if I was late I wouldn't be able to participate. I also signed that I wouldn't be given a refund. If a person walks in late, the instructor tells them they can't participate.

This woman did none of these things. She treated OP like dog chit. There is a difference between Instilling discipline and just being an *kitten* hole. My instructor is a mentor, not a tyrant or a smug person. If I feel disrespected, I'm not going to participate. And any teacher worth a damn feels the same. Yes push me and hold me accountable, but treat me like I'm dirt under your heel and I am gone. This instructor needs to learn the difference between being a hard teacher, and being an arrogant *kitten* hat. If I had been in her class and witnessed how she treated OP, I would not be returning. All she had to say is "if you are late, you cannot participate". Instead she treated OP subhuman in refusing to acknowledge her presence.

The part in bold is based 100% on the version provided by the OP who not only showed up to class late then walked out all butt hurt but then rage quit MFP. Based on the OP's admitted and demonstrated behavior, I give them little credence and highly doubt events transpired as she claimed.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    People who stick with the martial arts tend to be a certain kind of person.

I don't predict long-term adherence from the OP.

The instructor is supposed to be better than you. It's not arrogance. It's a fact.

Of course, now rather than being students trying develop our skills (which we lack) from someone who has spent a long time cultivating theirs to a high degree, we're all consumers buying a product. That's the problem. It's not an improvement, btw...
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Hahaha. So I just realized when I tried to pm her some corrective posture techniques.

But I have seen some very arrogant and narcissistic fitness instructors. I am by no means excusing OPs behavior, but a I hold fitness instructors to a higher standard. As a instructor myself, we will always have lack luster and unmotivated clients. How you conduct yourself in these situations is important, and says a lot about you as an instructor.
  • jill604
    jill604 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I think you need to reread the OP. The instructor didn't kick her out of the class, she just didn't run over to her when she strolled in a quarter of the way through class. There is nothing rude or disrespectful about what the instructor did. It was not "treating her like dog chit."

However, considering it's not high school, the fact that the OP was 15 minutes late is even worse on her part. She was not the only person who paid to take the course, and strolling in 15 minutes late shows disrespect not only for the instructor whose responsibility it is to educate and teach students proper and safe practice, but for the other students who did show up on time. To expect the instructor to drop everything when someone arrives 15 minutes late to class is ridiculous.

You need to reread my post. I said she should have kicked her out of class, or let her join. Refusing to acknowledge someone's presence (as OP stated she waited and the instructor looked at her but chose to ignore her) is treating some like dog chit. I don't care if OP was rude by arriving late, that does not give the instructor the right to treat her as if she was beneath her. He instructor needs to take control of her class and herself. If I were instructing that class and neglected to make this rule clear in the beginning, then I would let her join. Once the class was over I would clearly state the rules, and what to expect if you were late. At the very least I would tell her she could not participate that day. If OP has a habit of this, then it would remove her from my class.

It's called propriety. Just because OP doesn't practice it doesn't mean the instructor has a right to be rude. If somebody is rude to me I am not rude back. We aren't children.

Someone is making sense here. No need to stoop to someone else's level. The instructor should have told the OP "sorry you can't join" and be done with it.

To the OP, I personally would not have shown up if I were 15 minutes late.

Also remember there is one side to the story we are not hearing. It's hard to judge who was right or wrong since none of us except the OP were there in that situation. Maybe the instructor was trying to teach and didn't have time for her or maybe the instructor was being an *kitten* but we'll never know.

OP pick your head up, move on, and know that if you truly were wronged Karma is a bigger B@#$% than the instructor.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

The instructor is supposed to be better than you. It's not arrogance. It's a fact.

Of course, now rather than being students trying develop our skills (which we lack) from someone who has spent a long time cultivating theirs to a high degree, we're all consumers buying a product. That's the problem. It's not an improvement, btw...

The instructor is better than them when it comes to a specific skill. They are more knowledgable in certain subject area. But they are not simply "better than you" in general. Any instructor who feels that they are needs to find a new line of work. I would never presume to be better than my clients.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Rage quit... HAHA what a whacko! I hope she pulls a White Goodman

e0299dbf55c6ee3d9e42ed5cf2c8bc442986201b2dae26dd14214359a4911285.jpg
  • jimmmer
    Options

The instructor is better than them when it comes to a specific skill. They are more knowledgable in certain subject area. But they are not simply "better than you" in general. Any instructor who feels that they are needs to find a new line of work. I would never presume to be better than my clients.

If that skill-set includes discipline and the student can't show the requisite discipline, then they're not the equal of the instructor yet.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Most classes have a rule that anything over 5 minutes late and you can't take the class. They typically have a warm up period before they jump into the actual workout and if you miss the warm up then you could injure yourself.

Also it's rude to show up to a class late. 15 minutes is ridiculous. Why even bother going?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    15 min late= skip the class. Arriving that late shows disrespect for everyone's time. In many of my fitness classes (especially yoga) the door is locked a couple of minutes after the class starts.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

See. Everything's a commodity now.

Now we expect "customer service" from the martial arts? That's too funny...
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

If that skill-set includes discipline and the student can't show the requisite discipline, then they're not the equal of the instructor yet.

I guess you missed my point. Maybe he is better than me when it comes to discipline, but he is simply not "better than me". I never said we are equal. I said we are human and because you are better at striking than me, does not give you the right to disrespect me or treat me as less than you as a person. As an instructor, I would assume he has a higher sense of propriety, than he can balance with being a good and tough instructor.
  • KornishPiskie
    KornishPiskie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    lol, some of you make it sound like OP was interrupting surgery. Being 15 minutes late to a fitness class isn't ideal, but isn't exactly a signal for the end of times either.

I would've at least tried to signal the teacher in a quiet moment before opting to leave though...and I wouldn't overblow the posture comment either.

Finally, someone with perspective. It's a class. Being 15 mins late is not good but you can always be better next time. If she was acting like this then don't bother with her. I she wants people to come to her classes then she should be more friendly. I know the type you mean . Go somewhere where you will feel good about yourself and not an underling. You're there to get fit and enjoy yourself not pump yourself up to join the military
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    I used to be an instructor for technical classes. Students who were late got little notice from me, quite deliberately, because it lets them know that being late is unacceptable.

Would it not be more appropriate to ask why they are late before being ignored? You don't know that person's situation.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think you guys missed the part where I said there were several others late before me during the first class and it did not bother her at all. She was polite to them. It seems like an inferiority complex some women have. 3 kids and breastfeeding does affect posture. She gave off rude vibes in the beginning. a friend who knows her also said she thinks shes superior to others.
    Try not to externalize this. you were late. While it may not be for you, for some it is a sign of disrespect. It can be interpreted that your time is more important than hers AND everyone else in that class that DID make it on time.

If you're still interested in continuing the class, I recommend you try the following:
    1) show up early next time and apologize to the instructor for being late previously
    2) don't be late again. If you're not early, you're late

If you are going to be late, you should probably avoid the class for that session and practice on your own during the remaining time you had planned for it.
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    Did you not read valateenarab? I did apologize and i did ask her for tips to fix my posture. Obviously i breastfed after kids so breastfeeding would mean i screwed up my posture. This forum is full of ridiculously rude and angry people. And i was never late except today. She cancelled her class. But yeah perhaps i wanted others take on her. I spoke to a few ppl she knows and they agreed shes miserable. Perhaps her negative energy is what affected me to be annoyed and post this here.

I'm with you on this. People are getting a bit agro at you. It's obvious that the instructor is uptight. It sounds like she is annoyed as her class has halved. Being late isnt a hanging offence! Any class i have been too the instructor has not been like that.
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    Her having an attitude doesn't excuse your rudeness in showing up late. You were the one in the wrong in this particular situation.

I totally disagree with this and other responses in this thread. You were right to walk out. You are the customer/client or whatever. Her job depends on people coming to her classes and wanting to come back. She failed miserably giving you an attitude and back talk.

Should you have been late? Of course not. But to call it rude or so horribly bad like some of these other holier than thou posters suggest is just ridiculous. It sounds to me like the instructor had the problem. And if her classes are empty, it is clear that her act is wearing thin.

exactly! :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If she's a provider of a service and she wants to get paid then yes. Nothing wrong with being polite. If she wont do it then am sure there will be other instructors who can handle clients effectively. The situation could have been handled better by both of them and this drama avoided. They now both lose.
  • KornishPiskie
    Options
    Wow I guess nobody here has ever been late! Wow nice attitude people real understanding. So every time you go some place you never hit a red light or have traffic problems. Nothing stops you guys from getting some place on time. Wow I thought everyone here was nice, but I guess I just found the group of jerks.

I've seen other threads on here where people attack a poster. I don't post because I don't want a tirade of rants.
This discussion has been closed.