Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options

Replies

• PhitnessWorks
    Options
    I think you guys missed the part where I said there were several others late before me during the first class and it did not bother her at all. She was polite to them. It seems like an inferiority complex some women have. 3 kids and breastfeeding does affect posture. She gave off rude vibes in the beginning. a friend who knows her also said she thinks shes superior to others.

How is it that breastfeeding three children has affect your posture?? I breastfed my baby and my posture is just fine!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I bet OP shows up late to her hair appointments then throws a fit when the hairstylist can't rearrange her schedule to fit her in. Yup. I see it all the time.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It isnt a fitness class. Its a full contact muay thai training. Where the instructor goes one by one to each partner and teaches them to their level. So it is not like i interuppted her class. Please read the 1st post.

It's a martial art class, please treat it as one.

Not a martial art nor a martial arts class. Its a boxing gym and is a sport.

Muay Thai is a martial art. As is boxing at it's core.

Instructor probably mentioned that at the beginning of the class

gt_zps33f50dbe.gif
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yep, agreed with the other teachers here. It's basic classroom control. When my students arrive late, I will refuse to acknowledge them. I don't give them the silent treatment, but I refuse to give them any special attention, either. It's disruptive and unfair to both me and the other students. They know to come in as quietly as possible and that they have to wait to turn in their homework until after class is finished. If they have an excuse, I'll take it then. If not, they're going to get chewed out and staying for break detention. I don't get a lot of late kids since I started doing this. :wink:

My students aren't at an age where it's appropriate, but if I were teaching adults, I'd definitely want to implement a policy that if you're too late, you shouldn't bother coming. 15 minutes is NOT a little late. That's a huge chunk of the lesson, and you're most likely missing vital information in the introduction.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It isnt a fitness class. Its a full contact muay thai training. Where the instructor goes one by one to each partner and teaches them to their level. So it is not like i interuppted her class. Please read the 1st post.

It's a martial art class, please treat it as one.

Not a martial art nor a martial arts class. Its a boxing gym and is a sport.

Muay Thai is a martial art. As is boxing at it's core.

Instructor probably mentioned that at the beginning of the class

I'm dying over here. I need a medic. Too late, I'm ded.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow. I breast fed three kids too, and here I thought my poor posture was from slouching. I stand stooped and corrected!
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    FYI unless you are held up by an emergency being late is just plain inconsiderate and rude.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to how having kids ruins your posture. Can someone help me understand this?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to how having kids ruins your posture. Can someone help me understand this?

It doesn't.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have anterior pelvic tilt after my third and it absolutely makes some sports difficult. Overhead squat and some other Oly lifts are very difficult for me. I'm working on correcting it through stretches/chiropractic work. Just because everyone who has kids doesn't have bad pasture doesn't mean that some people don't.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Martial Arts is a class that demands discipline. Apart of discipline is showing up early and not making excuses (example about your bad posture). You should give your best and more. As a black belt, I had to show up to class early. If I didn't, I would be required to do over a 100 knuckle push ups with a 4 year old white belt sitting on my shoulders. Lol, I kinda would have preferred being ignored now...
  • Missfit35
    Options
    Sorry to seem harsh but DON'T BE LATE. I have instructed several different classes in my time and it's disrespectful. Maybe you should have spoke with he or she ahead of time to say hey I have a hard time making it to your class on time for whatever reason but I really want to take your class this way they know ahead of time. Communication solves a many problem as well!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the dissenter. Yes, showing up late is rude, but it's not highschool where the fitness instructor is an authority figure. She is getting paid to do a job. If she wanted to close the class to late arrivals she should've said so. You DO NOT ignore people. She should have went up to OP and either let her join, or explain why she can't. Her actions were unprofessional and a tad arrogant. If she wants to keep and expand her client base then she needs to act like an adult.

I would've left too. And I would be damned if she saw me back in her class again. And yes, I would go and get a refund and tell her exactly why I wanted one.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the dissenter. Yes, showing up late is rude, but it's not highschool where the fitness instructor is an authority figure. She is getting paid to do a job. If she wanted to close the class to late arrivals she should've said so. You DO NOT ignore people. She should have went up to OP and either let her join, or explain why she can't. Her actions were unprofessional and a tad arrogant. If she wants to keep and expand her client base then she needs to act like an adult.

I would've left too. And I would be damned if she saw me back in her class again. And yes, I would go and get a refund and tell her exactly why I wanted one.

While I understand where you are coming from, I see two major points you are not considering -

1. In order to accommodate the late comer, the instructor must disengage from those that actually turned up on time. The instructor would have to catch her up on what they were doing, demonstrate technique again, etc.... In martial arts, drills can be complex, and getting the move right is important. It's not step-aerobics or zumba where you can just follow along and have fun even if you aren't doing quite the same movement. By engaging the single new comer, the instructor is instead being rude to the 15 other people in the class, who also paid.

2. Again, unlike an aerobics class, in martial arts you are basically being taught how to beat the snot out of someone. Students are expected to have a level of discipline and responsibility commensurate to this. Most MA instructors take this very seriously. Again, it's not a lifestyle that is for everyone. The money argument is understandable, but learning discipline is an integral part of MA and therefore you are actually paying the instructor to be like this. To then say "I don't have to abide by your rules because I pay you" is completely counter to what you are paying to learn.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

While I understand where you are coming from, I see two major points you are not considering -

1. In order to accommodate the late comer, the instructor must disengage from those that actually turned up on time. The instructor would have to catch her up on what they were doing, demonstrate technique again, etc.... In martial arts, drills can be complex, and getting the move right is important. It's not step-aerobics or zumba where you can just follow along and have fun even if you aren't doing quite the same movement. By engaging the single new comer, the instructor is instead being rude to the 15 other people in the class, who also paid.

2. Again, unlike an aerobics class, in martial arts you are basically being taught how to beat the snot out of someone. Students are expected to have a level of discipline and responsibility commensurate to this. Most MA instructors take this very seriously. Again, it's not a lifestyle that is for everyone. The money argument is understandable, but learning discipline is an integral part of MA and therefore you are actually paying the instructor to be like this. To then say "I don't have to abide by your rules because I pay you" is completely counter to what you are paying to learn.

I never said it wasn't suppose to be like this, as I take striking classes. But when I signed up, they told me if I was late I wouldn't be able to participate. I also signed that I wouldn't be given a refund. If a person walks in late, the instructor tells them they can't participate.

This woman did none of these things. She treated OP like dog chit. There is a difference between Instilling discipline and just being an *kitten* hole. My instructor is a mentor, not a tyrant or a smug person. If I feel disrespected, I'm not going to participate. And any teacher worth a damn feels the same. Yes push me and hold me accountable, but treat me like I'm dirt under your heel and I am gone. This instructor needs to learn the difference between being a hard teacher, and being an arrogant *kitten* hat. If I had been in her class and witnessed how she treated OP, I would not be returning. All she had to say is "if you are late, you cannot participate". Instead she treated OP subhuman in refusing to acknowledge her presence.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It's probably for the best. Combat sports and hypersensitivity don't generally mix well.

^^^ This may not be the best class for you
  • Ophelia40
    Options
    I think you have too many excuses already. Other people will always be other people, i.e. those that were late before you. You're posting this topic based on your reactions but comparing what you observed prior. I think a deep breath back, rethink if the class is important to you & decide for yourself what its rewards will be for you. Putting ego aside is important to one's growth, both physical & emotional. Active participation is key too. You may have been giving off negativity to the trainer by simply standing there then harumpfing your way out the door. No loss on her part, she came there to work, not judge.

BTW your posture will improve when your attitude does. Sounds like you're carrying some burdens instead of releasing them. Let it go & love the gym, with all of its quirks. Strength comes in all forms. Try the class again without being so critical of where, why or how this trainer got there. Be confident & good luck.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I think you have too many excuses already. Other people will always be other people, i.e. those that were late before you. You're posting this topic based on your reactions but comparing what you observed prior. I think a deep breath back, rethink if the class is important to you & decide for yourself what its rewards will be for you. Putting ego aside is important to one's growth, both physical & emotional. Active participation is key too. You may have been giving off negativity to the trainer by simply standing there then harumpfing your way out the door. No loss on her part, she came there to work, not judge.

BTW your posture will improve when your attitude does. Sounds like you're carrying some burdens instead of releasing them. Let it go & love the gym, with all of its quirks. Strength comes in all forms. Try the class again without being so critical of where, why or how this trainer got there. Be confident & good luck.

No. Correcting posture and rounded shoulders is a long and arduous process. Muscle strain, fatigue and amnesia cannot be overcome with a simple attitude change. Dafuq?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It isnt a fitness class. Its a full contact muay thai training. Where the instructor goes one by one to each partner and teaches them to their level. So it is not like i interuppted her class. Please read the 1st post

I find it amusing Im being labelled for blaming my kids about my posture...it seems like too much hormones and testosterone flowing on this forum. I didnt blame my kids. I said after breastfeeding my posture got worse. Theres a difference.

If it was my class, I would make it clear that 15 mins late and you're not coming in.

On the one hand, I think you were wrong to be so late and then think you're owed royal treatment. The martial arts ask tough questions of a person - how you respond to them demonstrates your character (or lack thereof).

But on the other hand, I'd also like to ask why this instructor doesn't have a cast-iron rule in place if she feels so strongly about it?
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I never said it wasn't suppose to be like this, as I take striking classes. But when I signed up, they told me if I was late I wouldn't be able to participate. I also signed that I wouldn't be given a refund. If a person walks in late, the instructor tells them they can't participate.

This woman did none of these things. She treated OP like dog chit. There is a difference between Instilling discipline and just being an *kitten* hole. My instructor is a mentor, not a tyrant or a smug person. If I feel disrespected, I'm not going to participate. And any teacher worth a damn feels the same. Yes push me and hold me accountable, but treat me like I'm dirt under your heel and I am gone. This instructor needs to learn the difference between being a hard teacher, and being an arrogant *kitten* hat. If I had been in her class and witnessed how she treated OP, I would not be returning. All she had to say is "if you are late, you cannot participate". Instead she treated OP subhuman in refusing to acknowledge her presence.

I think you need to reread the OP. The instructor didn't kick her out of the class, she just didn't run over to her when she strolled in a quarter of the way through class. There is nothing rude or disrespectful about what the instructor did. It was not "treating her like dog chit."

However, considering it's not high school, the fact that the OP was 15 minutes late is even worse on her part. She was not the only person who paid to take the course, and strolling in 15 minutes late shows disrespect not only for the instructor whose responsibility it is to educate and teach students proper and safe practice, but for the other students who did show up on time. To expect the instructor to drop everything when someone arrives 15 minutes late to class is ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.