Walking out on a fitness class/instructor???

Options

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Where do you work where being 15 minutes late is such acceptable behavior? Where do you train where you don't have to explain what "the next set of reps" even is? Where do you live where you get to decide what's acceptable for people to inconvenience other people and it's nothing.

She missed 30% of the class. But hey, you go ahead and run your class however you feel

1) Ive been late to work - frankly, they get more than enough evening and weekend work from me and deadlines met. Its a non-issue.
    2) It was a beginners class - you can have the new person join in the next time youre explaining something. Or you say "sorry youre too late to join this class". Saying nothing was immature on the teachers part
    3) Oh please, some people are inconvenienced just by the fact other people live and breathe. If you cant get over someone turning up 15 minutes late to a gym, youre far too precious for me. lol.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is where I can definitely I feel give my two cents I actually am a former martial arts instructor who just left my job just a few days ago in order to move to a new state. At my old school, we did NOT allow students into class 15 minutes late, no matter whether or not they were old or new students. This will help us to prevent not only injury but it also would prevent our school from liability. The reason why you were seeing students come in before you was probably because they came in before that bench mark time when they were doing the lighter warm ups and the risk of injury wasn't high (So probs at the ten min mark, or pretty close), and then when she saw you, it was close to the fifteen min mark when things were getting more serious. Or so I would assume. Boxing and Martial arts are extremely similar in the contact sports category and also in the liability sense, so us instructors have to be extremely careful. I do NOT blame her for her actions, but I do feel that people were coming off as kind of rude. As a newbie, I don't think it was fair for you to understand that you HAVE to come in early. This isn't a class that you can JUST jump in on, you have to be early if not right on time and you have to be ready for a good burn, if you're not feeling well or if you are late, stay home, ok? Don't let the rude instructor be the one to get you to stop going, nor the rude people on this site. This is kind of out of hand, as a few are now jumping in to say, I'm having a bit of hope seeing some others jump in with me too :)

at my local gym reception wouldnt sell you a ticket after a certain time for classes as you miss the warm up. If members sneak in, the instructor will politely say too late. This is what really needs to happen.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

NO. A person's situation means nothing. Late is late. You're 15 minutes late, you don't interrupt the class. I don't care if you pulled your car over to give mouth to mouth resuscitation to Jesus Christ on the cross, you still don't get to inconvenience 20 other people.

Haha such delightful nonsense!

They were in a boxing/thai boxing class not managing air traffic control. The class does not fall apart if the instructor has to say "warm up and join in for the next set of reps" to someone who was late.

Thanks for using your first sentence to inform us the rest of your post is nonsense. You were correct about that.

Shouldve probably kept that one to yourself....
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I think that people forget that MA instructors didn't get a certificate on the wall from a 2 day workshop.

They trained diligently for several decades to earn their title. Most MAs are steeped in Eastern tradition, which revolves around respect and honor. Respect has been demanded of them by their teachers, and they in turn demand the respect of their students. There's a reason you refer to them as 'Master' or 'Grandmaster'.

Most MAs have minimum time requirements between black belt grades. It varies, but you can expect to spend three years earning 1st Dan. Then you are required to train at least another two years before 2nd Dan, no matter how good you are. Then three years for 3rd Dan. Four more years for 4th Dan, etc...

So if you're being taught by a Master (varies by style, but lowest Master I've known is 4th Dan), you can work on about 10 to 12 years of experience at minimum. If you are privileged enough to be taught by an 8th Dan Grandmaster, you can expect that they have been training for nearly four decades at a minimum.

You bet your *kitten* they demand respect, and have no patience for someone not showing humility or commitment. Especially on the second damn class.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    I think that people forget that MA instructors didn't get a certificate on the wall from a 2 day workshop.

They trained diligently for several decades to earn their title. Most MAs are steeped in Eastern tradition, which revolves around respect and honor. Respect has been demanded of them by their teachers, and they in turn demand the respect of their students. There's a reason you refer to them as 'Master' or 'Grandmaster'.

Most MAs have minimum time requirements between black belt grades. It varies, but you can expect to spend three years earning 1st Dan. Then you are required to train at least another two years before 2nd Dan, no matter how good you are. Then three years for 3rd Dan. Four more years for 4th Dan, etc...

So if you're being taught by a Master (varies by style, but lowest Master I've known is 4th Dan), you can work on about 10 to 12 years of experience at minimum. If you are privileged enough to be taught by an 8th Dan Grandmaster, you can expect that they have been training for nearly four decades at a minimum.

You bet your *kitten* they demand respect, and have no patience for someone not showing humility or commitment. Especially on the second damn class.
    so is it beyond the instructor just to say you are too late for my class come back next time.?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

NO. A person's situation means nothing. Late is late. You're 15 minutes late, you don't interrupt the class. I don't care if you pulled your car over to give mouth to mouth resuscitation to Jesus Christ on the cross, you still don't get to inconvenience 20 other people.

They were in a boxing/thai boxing class not managing air traffic control. The class does not fall apart if the instructor has to say "warm up and join in for the next set of reps" to someone who was late.

Thanks for using your first sentence to inform us the rest of your post is nonsense. You were correct about that.

You keep reinforcing that all you have to offer is nonsense.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I doubt a highly trained and experienced MA instructor would act so childish. They would simply tell her to leave. MA instructors are usually level headed and humble people with a high standard of propriety. I have never met a MA instructor with an inflated ego. Demanding respect and treating other disrespectfully do not go hand in hand.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

so is it beyond the instructor just to say you are too late for my class come back next time.?
    not to mention the OP payed for the class so is a customer, the class wasnt a freebie.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

not to mention the OP payed for the class so is a customer, the class wasnt a freebie.

So did every other student that the OP was inconveniencing. Show up on time or don't show ... it doesn't matter if it's a fitness class, movie, flight, or concert. The start time is part of the social contract for the entire group. The OP broke it with their actions.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

So did every other student that the OP was inconveniencing. Show up on time or don't show ... it doesn't matter if it's a fitness class, movie, flight, or concert. The start time is part of the social contract for the entire group. The OP broke it with their actions.

And my question was why cant the instructor let her know where she stands so she knows?
    People are late sometimes get over it.
  • rogerOb1
    Options

You keep reinforcing that all you have to offer is nonsense.

Wow, youre really adding to the conversation. Keep it up. This thread needed the additional petulance and pettiness that only you know how to bring.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The op deactivated. We weren't there. We don't really know what happened or how long the op waited. If the instructor was mid instruction with a pair, she isn't going to stop. Everyone has a different style. It was only her second class. She was 15 minutes late. I think she over reacted. Maybe she clashes with the instructor. So, maybe they aren't a good match. Personally I would want to give the instructor a chance before jumping to all these conclusions. I care more about what she can teach, not all this other stuff about vibes. It's easy to misunderstand vibes.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

And my question was why cant the instructor let her know where she stands so she knows?
    People are late sometimes get over it.

I'm not the one who needs to get over anything. The OP rage quit the class then rage quit MFP when they didn't get the special treatment they think they deserve in either situation. Their actions are telling.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yep, agreed with the other teachers here. It's basic classroom control. When my students arrive late, I will refuse to acknowledge them. I don't give them the silent treatment, but I refuse to give them any special attention, either. It's disruptive and unfair to both me and the other students. They know to come in as quietly as possible and that they have to wait to turn in their homework until after class is finished. If they have an excuse, I'll take it then. If not, they're going to get chewed out and staying for break detention. I don't get a lot of late kids since I started doing this. :wink:

My students aren't at an age where it's appropriate, but if I were teaching adults, I'd definitely want to implement a policy that if you're too late, you shouldn't bother coming. 15 minutes is NOT a little late. That's a huge chunk of the lesson, and you're most likely missing vital information in the introduction.

I'm in a Police Academy. If you're late to a class for ANY reason 3x over the course of a semester, you're immediately booted from the Academy (1 verbal warning, 1 written warning, then you're gone). End of story. Many employers are the same way with people being late to work, eg 3 unexcused tardy punch-ins within a given time frame (6 months was the time frame where I previously worked), you're fired. College professors simply locked the door once the class started; if you're late, too f'n bad.

If you want the job, the training, etc, you will learn to get out of bed/tell time/leave your house a few minutes earlier/whatever. If you don't, then you simply don't deserve it. Move aside & make room for someone who does.

Being on time isn't some new-fangled politically correct BS.

And breastfeeding as an excuse for bad posture? WTF?
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Yep, agreed with the other teachers here. It's basic classroom control. When my students arrive late, I will refuse to acknowledge them. I don't give them the silent treatment, but I refuse to give them any special attention, either. It's disruptive and unfair to both me and the other students. They know to come in as quietly as possible and that they have to wait to turn in their homework until after class is finished. If they have an excuse, I'll take it then. If not, they're going to get chewed out and staying for break detention. I don't get a lot of late kids since I started doing this. :wink:

My students aren't at an age where it's appropriate, but if I were teaching adults, I'd definitely want to implement a policy that if you're too late, you shouldn't bother coming. 15 minutes is NOT a little late. That's a huge chunk of the lesson, and you're most likely missing vital information in the introduction.

I'm in a Police Academy. If you're late to a class for ANY reason 3x over the course of a semester, you're immediately booted from the Academy (1 verbal warning, 1 written warning, then you're gone). End of story. Many employers are the same way with people being late to work, eg 3 unexcused tardy punch-ins within a given time frame (6 months was the time frame where I previously worked), you're fired. College professors simply locked the door once the class started; if you're late, too f'n bad.

If you want the job, the training, etc, you will learn to get out of bed/tell time/leave your house a few minutes earlier/whatever. If you don't, then you simply don't deserve it. Move aside & make room for someone who does.

Being on time isn't some new-fangled politically correct BS.

late is late, but sometimes people may be abit relaxed a when its not work related
    the issue here is expectations were not set from reception or from the instructor. In your classroom your students know the rules. The Op saw others late from the previous session so made assumptions prob not realising their is a cut off point.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL My BF's co-worker got canned for being late 9 times in the last year. 5 of those times was less than 10 minutes late. (considering they work in NYC- I'd say that's pretty brutal)
    Yeah- I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one- 7 pages into this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

See. Everything's a commodity now.

Now we expect "customer service" from the martial arts? That's too funny...

QFT
  • Therealobi1
    Options

LOL My BF's co-worker got canned for being late 9 times in the last year. 5 of those times was less than 10 minutes late. (considering they work in NYC- I'd say that's pretty brutal)
    Yeah- I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one- 7 pages into this.

she prob needed to sit upright rather than bending over to the child
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Lols cant believe this is still going. She handled it poorly, but give her a break, she might deal with things differently next time. The instructor didnt sound customer friendly either.

OP go and focus on your diet and a different class if you are lurking. Lifes too short to bother about nonsense like this.

See. Everything's a commodity now.

Now we expect "customer service" from the martial arts? That's too funny...

QFT

not agreeing, Why wouldnt you expect a certain service if you are a paying customer.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The OP made a lot of claims in their first post ... others were late, the instructor was rude and didn't acknowledge her, etc. They are biased and given the content of subsequent posts, I don't find them as a credible source. The consistent quitting when not getting their way is a revealing personality trait.
This discussion has been closed.