Guys perspective on low maintenance gym girls

Options
willywonka
willywonka Posts: 743 Member
So, the thread I responded to got me thinking and my friend and I had this discussion as I would love for her to meet a nice guy and there are quite a few at our gym... When I am at the gym first thing in the mornings, I brush my teeth, my hair and wash my face- that's pretty much It. I have always been extremely focused and love the way I feel when I look in the mirror and see myself drenched in sweat and I feel strong and confident and I smile at my friends there and chat a little. And then I see the women come in, perfect hair, perfect makeup and this is at 5:00 in the morning-, not a single bead of sweat and I think, wow maybe I should be a little embarrassed by my lack of "trying" but you know what -I feel my strongest and my sexiest when I am myself and I see what I am capable of doing. My time at the gym may look to others as the freckled faced sweaty girl, but for me - i shine . Rock it out ladies

Replies

• choosing_fitness
    Options
    I love this post! I think it is true that you perform best based on your confidence. And if you are most confident in no makeup and sweats, or whatever it is... do it! :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Not kidding you, one time I went to the gym and walked into the locker room with another woman. See that she goes to get herself ready, I'm assuming like.. doing her hair (I am not gonna say anything if someone wants to have cute hair while working out!). So a few minutes later I walk up to the gym. About TEN minutes later, she comes in... decked out. Makeup, clothes, hair... like, clearly not there to work out. And yes, no sweating. Whereas I will go in wearing oversized shirts if I'm feeling bloated, and when i did have hair (before buzz cutting it) I would just braid or pony it, and I would sweat like crazy.

I don't know why but I also feel super confident and reaaally sexy when i see myself working out and I'm super sweaty and working hard. Maybe it's because of all the hormones or something, or associating sweating and all the grunting with sex LOL. But I feel more attractive (to myself and others) when I'm working out and "low maintenance" compared to if I go in wearing makeup. Which doesn't happen often, it's so uncomfortable to work out wiht makeup on!

ETA: I actually kind of feel sexier in general when I'm more low-maintenance, but still well put-together. This is one reason I've grown out of the extensive makeup I used to wear that took an hour to do. I find that most women look better when they don't look like they've spent hours getting ready unless it's for a specific purpose.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I must say that one of the most freeing decisions I have ever made was not caring about what random strangers thought of me. Think I'm too made up for the gym? Cool story, brah. Think I'm not made up enough to even show my face in public? Still, cool story. This might be because I'm still chunky and I don't expect any sort of attention based on how "good" I look, but I would much rather be in a relationship with somebody who fell in love with my personality or intelligence.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    What is this "gym" of which you speak?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority because I pay attention to NO ONE when I'm there. I'm completely zoned out lol. I show up in my crappy clothes, get in and get out - I don't even notice what anyone else does.
  • Katiemac142
    Katiemac142 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only time I wear makeup at the gym is when I come straight from a school meeting or something like that haha.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    I'm WAY more into low maintenance gym girls who don't get made up to work out! What attracts me is seeing you bust your *kitten* and work hard. If you're there to be seen, all made up and NOT working out, then I have no use for you.

Note to self: wear a lot of makeup to the gym more often.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    If someone is wearing make-up and has their hair did at the gym, does that make them automatically "high-maintenace"?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I want to look like crap at the gym, I look like crap. If I want to take the extra 45 seconds to put on makeup or am coming from work, I do that too. People are so overly judgmental of anyone who wants to look nice at the gym, as they might when doing other normal, daily things. No one cares if a girl puts on lip gloss to run to the grocery store. If I do it at the gym I'm there to be seen by guys? Don't get it.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It really boils down to what you're going there for. If it's a social event & you're looking to meet people then I guess you worry about things like hair, makeup, what outfit you're wearing, etc. If you're there to work out then I would assume comfort, mobility, safety, etc. would be the priorities. I would assume if you're there to work out makeup & hairdos would be a waste of time if you're serious about what you're doing because they would get all messed up anyway. Thankfully, being a married guy, I don't need to worry about these things - not to mention that I go to the gym to swim, so it wouldn't matter anyway........
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    People are different so I doubt theres one view. Some will like the attractive girl who has prepared herself to look so, even though it might not be that practical and others will go for the fun girls who is natural and looks as though shes enjoying herself. Horses for courses.

So my point is theres going to be a whole variety of views, dont underestimate how superficial and predictable men can be, but by no means all. If you dont want supericial, then better be happy being yourself , self confidence is attractive on its own. See where she gets and then adjust accordingly.
  • Forty6and2
    Options
    If I want to look like crap at the gym, I look like crap. If I want to take the extra 45 seconds to put on makeup or am coming from work, I do that too. People are so overly judgmental of anyone who wants to look nice at the gym, as they might when doing other normal, daily things. No one cares if a girl puts on lip gloss to run to the grocery store. If I do it at the gym I'm there to be seen by guys? Don't get it.

It's the same logic that's used to say that any girl wearing makeup to class is just there to pick up guys, not to learn. Because wearing eyeliner makes me completely unable to retain any information.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ewww, make-up at the gym??? All I can think about is the gunk filtering into your sweaty pores and waking up covered in pimples.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority because I pay attention to NO ONE when I'm there. I'm completely zoned out lol. I show up in my crappy clothes, get in and get out - I don't even notice what anyone else does.

This is the other side of the coin - you would have to think people are checking you out to bother with getting all made up. I'm in the pool, so it's easy to keep to myself - but on the rare occasions I'm doing something else there my iPod is on & I'm more concerned with doing what I set out to do. It seems that the majority of people I see at my gym (both men & women) are the same way - unless they happen to be working out with a friend they all seem to be in their own little worlds.......
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If I'm coming in straight from work, yeah, I'm gonna have hair and makeup. No telling what it's going to look like by the time I'm done, though.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

Most girls who wear makeup to the gym wear a full face:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Which to me makes no sense if you are there to work out. I work out after classes, I take 2 minutes to remove my makeup beforehand. If I want to look good at the gym, I wear fitted clothes and try not to grunt and make weird faces as I lift weights.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Most girls who wear makeup to the gym wear a full face:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Which to me makes no sense if you are there to work out. I work out after classes, I take 2 minutes to remove my makeup beforehand. If I want to look good at the gym, I wear fitted clothes and try not to grunt and make weird faces as I lift weights.
    So what if they wear full face make-up and wear fitted clothing? What does that have to do with your work out?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    They should pass out colored wristbands at the gym so everyone knows who's cruising for hookups and who is there to work out. It would really make things simpler.

I don't care if some women want to wear makeup or whatever. Excessive perfume (or excessive cologne for the guys) is terrible though.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    Both in and out of the gym, I appreciate the effort someone makes when it comes to looking good. However, I do dock points if you don;t get the purpose of where you are. If you're at the gym and you're just strutting and not working out, then I might find you pretty but I probably would find you annoying which might make me want to sleep with you but won't make me want to call you after.

As for women who don't make the effort, you probably still look good. In fact, a fit girl in normal gym gear sans makeup is still eye catching. You have the added bonus of being more than just a pretty face and cute butt. ;)