Guys perspective on low maintenance gym girls

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    If someone is wearing make-up and has their hair did at the gym, does that make them automatically "high-maintenace"?

and low maintenance = no makeup? some of the most high maintenance women i've known in terms of neediness, demands, personality disfunctions and overall drama didnt wear make up . plus any woman who calls herself low maintenance is more than likely not :laugh: just like those people who claim to hate drama in their relationships yet somehow all their relationships are one huge dallas episode
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't wear makeup ever because I don't see a point to it. I would rather look naturally beautiful and everyone is so used to "needing" makeup to look beautiful, they forget how naturally beautiful they really can be (: anyway if I do wear makeup it is only on special occasions and I would def never do my hair or makeup just to work out! it defeats the purpose! Like hello you work out to make yourself look better (and feel better) so why do you need to look good while doing it if you can look good later? Like it's just gonna get messed up anyway unless you don't even work out well. There are hardly any runs I go on that I come back still looking cute. My face gets SOOOO red and I get so covered in sweat it gets uncomfortable tbh and my hair gets all over the place! But I feel so much better after a great workout :D
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been a member of MFP for many years and I rarely ever post and this is why. No, sorry I am the last person that would gather up a posse to make fun of anyone. My post was intended for the sole purpose of getting the guys opinions on what they are more likely to notice but I clearly rubbed some females the wrong way. By the way, my "kind" being that I'm nicknamed sunshine because I am friendly to every single person I meet there. But thanks, I think I'll stay out of the chit chat forums like I usually do.
    I remember this stuff said about girls/women at the public pool. The naturals v made ups. The op is trying to get up a posse of her kind to make fun of the other side. If you really feel beautiful, stop fishing. But, thanks for the teen angst memories.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    If someone is wearing make-up and has their hair did at the gym, does that make them automatically "high-maintenace"?

Yes, that's pretty much the standard definition.
    Amirite? ;)
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options

Yes, that's pretty much the standard definition.
    Amirite? ;)

I think everyone has their own preferences when they go to the gym, but if you are working out at 5am in full make up and hair done, I would question sanity of that woman. Most gyms have showers and I wouldn't want to go to work not showering after working out and getting all sweaty and red faced. If it after work, I would understand, but really? Before you work out at 5am? I work out at anytime fitness, and I've gone in there in all states of dress and make up, but the times I've been in there early in the morning before work, hell no to being made up. I do it after.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Well I wear eyeliner and eyebrow pencil before I leave the house to do anything (except swimming!)Life is to short not to, and my eyes disappear if I don't. It's my warpaint. Foundation, blusher, lipstick or glittery eye shadow would be just weird, but I've often gone to the gym after work with that stuff on my face.

It doesn't make one bit of difference to my lifting. It does make me feel more confident though, which now I think about it, is weird!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I doubt guys have even given this a moments thought.

Pretty much this.
    Also "maintenance" isn't about make up. Correlation not causation. When a guy says "she's high maintenance" do you all think he's talking about makeup? It's about effort-levels needed to keep crazy livable sane.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't own makeup
    The ultimate in low-maintenance!
    Me too, though I wear clear nail polish because my nails are weak & I'm trying to stop them from breaking as easily.
    Not exactly changing my appearance any.
    I honestly do not understand the amount of time and energy that goes into discussing this subject. Is it a feeling of being imtimidated by more attractive or more attentive women? What is it? Do some people think that they're in competition with every other single person out there? I seriously want to know.
    Not intimidated in the least.
    What someone else looks like (makeup-wise) doesn't affect me any, but I do wonder about why she's at the gym, and why she would put so much effort into it when it's going to get destroyed.
    (Or why she's bothering to come to the gym if she's not going to work hard enough to get sweaty & destroy it, wipe it off with her sweat rag. And of course, then she has to wash the rag more often.)
    Either reason seems pretty pointless.
    If I were a guy, I'd avoid that type just because she engages in pointless actions.

Kind of like you attempting to psycho-analyse what others are doing? Does not get any more pointless than that!
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class 3x a week and honestly .. none of the girls even put in much of an effort at all. The instructors cannot
    say anything as they will get ****** and just not come. But then .. everyone has their own reasons for being there.

I have never seen any of them sweat .. and honestly I would be impressed if one of them does. I am still waiting.

They may be feeling uncomfortable around that guy who is checking out the sweat and effort levels of all the women around him. :wink: :flowerforyou:

It's hard to imagine people in a spin class not sweating.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, from a man's perspective - it doesn't matter. If I was attracted to a woman I'd talk to her if she was wearing a clown suit.

Saying that, if she does want to meet people I don't think the gym is ideal.

If I was looking to meet a woman I wouldn't choose a gym. Have you had someone try to start a conversation with you when you're out of breath or trying to concentrate on something? It's really irritating. Besides which, my Gwin has dibs :wink:

Nothing is impossible, of course. She might meet the man of her dreams there. But I think the chances are better if she just finds something she enjoys or cares about, and does that. Everyone looks their best when they're genuinely enjoying themselves, and not that many people in the gym are.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not understand the amount of time and energy that goes into discussing this subject. Is it a feeling of being imtimidated by more attractive or more attentive women? What is it? Do some people think that they're in competition with every other single person out there? I seriously want to know.

^This. Why do these threads about makeup always turn into a s**tstorm? Smh.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    So, the thread I responded to got me thinking and my friend and I had this discussion as I would love for her to meet a nice guy and there are quite a few at our gym... When I am at the gym first thing in the mornings, I brush my teeth, my hair and wash my face- that's pretty much It. I have always been extremely focused and love the way I feel when I look in the mirror and see myself drenched in sweat and I feel strong and confident and I smile at my friends there and chat a little. And then I see the women come in, perfect hair, perfect makeup and this is at 5:00 in the morning-, not a single bead of sweat and I think, wow maybe I should be a little embarrassed by my lack of "trying" but you know what -I feel my strongest and my sexiest when I am myself and I see what I am capable of doing. My time at the gym may look to others as the freckled faced sweaty girl, but for me - i shine . Rock it out ladies

I don't understand the point you're trying to make, perhaps because I didn't read the other thread.

If you wanna come in full makeup with stripper heels and walk at 2 miles per hour on the treadmill, that is fine.

If you wanna come in all business and get your sweat on. That is fine too.

Just leave me alone when I am trying to workout. I personally prefer that you don't wear the kind of outfit that would distract me but I wouldn't complain either because ... you know... i like looking at pretty things.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been a member of MFP for many years and I rarely ever post and this is why. No, sorry I am the last person that would gather up a posse to make fun of anyone. My post was intended for the sole purpose of getting the guys opinions on what they are more likely to notice but I clearly rubbed some females the wrong way. By the way, my "kind" being that I'm nicknamed sunshine because I am friendly to every single person I meet there. But thanks, I think I'll stay out of the chit chat forums like I usually do.

You probably should, with threads like these. :laugh:
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used to wear full makeup to the gym, but I was coming straight from work and I didn't want to waste time taking off my falsies and potentially losing them. Plus I knew I was on limited time because I had to go ick up my kids.
  • fitqveen
    Options
    I put a bit of foundation on because im self conscious without it, shove my hair up and lift heavy ****. I feel my best sweating and covered in chalk.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    Options
    Fine at the gym.
    As y'all get into your 30's you might need a bit of makeup, before that i don't think most girls need much/any.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Fine at the gym.
    As y'all get into your 30's you might need a bit of makeup, before that i don't think most girls need much/any.

Da *kitten*? :huh: :noway:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me either way.

What does bother me however is excessive perfume or body odour because it can interfere with my ability to lift / cycle as the case may be.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I personal don't give a **** who's in the gym and what they look like. I'm there to focus and get it in (LMG's). Although it's scientifically proven that, men lift 18% more when there's attractive woman around. I'd rather have the gym to myself which I had a couple of times where I go wow that was awesome....
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If the original purpose of the thread is for your friend to meet a nice guy, I wouldn't choose the gym. I tend to be focused on working out and don't notice other people who are there unless they are on the machine I want to use. I also tend to get annoyed when someone interrupts my routine with chit chat. A quick hi and it's back to working out, even when it's good friends. Most of the men I know are even more focused on their workouts than I am.

As for makeup, it's doubtful that anyone notices if women are wearing it or not. I usually wear a lightly tinted moisturizer for myself, nobody else.