Got called Fatty :(

Options
So, Just came back from a 4.26 Mile walk, fairly brisk pace, think I'm doing pretty well, I've lost over 40 lbs, and while walking a car drove past & someone yelled out the window "WALK FASTER FATTY" Made me feel a little like all my hard work is nothing. Not sure if this makes me feel unmotivated, or more motivated to 'show them' Still trying to sort out my feelings right now and needed to vent!

Replies

• Psychdoll74
    Options
    Yup, I get that all the time.
  • ADRsmama
    ADRsmama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Some people are so cruel and idiotic.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been there...many times. Keep pushing
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Ignore them, Paula. Someone has nothing better to do than to criticize others.

Got a Walkman or a Discman? Or an MP3 player? Or a cellphone?
    Got earbuds?

Find a few good stations, an audiobook, or some music you like, and take that on your walks. Boogie on while you're getting your exercise.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the idiots. You just keep on strutting your stuff! 40 lbs is nothing to sneeze at! Keep at it. Probably just some obnoxious little brat whose parents never taught them any manners.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I hate when people yell ANYTHING out of car windows, but that is just evil. It's important to remind yourself that whoever was shouting out that window is a bully, certainly has nothing better to do, and probably suffers from low self esteem (hence feeling the need to bring someone else down, too). I pity them, and you should too. Keep doing what you're doing (:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Wow, that actually speaks volumes more about them than you. I am happy for you that you are doing great things to make your life better. I feel sorry for them, what they have wrong can not be changed with diet and exercise. So sad to me.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Don't let some idiot stop you. Keep going. Also, get some headphones. I can only imagine the things yelled to me over the years, but I'm totally oblivious if I have my tunes going.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I got laughed at and chastised and yelled at with "hey fatboy" my junior year during a basketball game with a rival.

I hit a buzzerbeater to win that game...

Screw the haters, just do you.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    That is so sad and I'm so sorry someone said that to you :( I really HATE humans sometimes.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Remember: you can always lose weight and still be a beautiful person, inside and out.
    That guy will still be a jerk, unhappy and ugly.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he was being encouraging? :)
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Feeling better already (: Thanks everyone for ranting with me!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Anyone who does something like that really says far more about themselves than about you. The only people who do crap like that are people who are unhappy with themselves and can't figure out a way to fix that other than putting other people down. Just ignore them, they're not worth another second of your thoughts.
  • Some people can be jerks. I remember a friend of mine, a recovering anorexic (she was still underweight at the time), was walking to work, and someone slowed down and threw a cheeseburger out the window at her. I guess some sad individuals feel the need to tear others down to feel better about themselves. Don't pay them any mind, their words don't deserve any space in your thoughts.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just move on past it. That person is nothing to you. People say stupid and horrid things all the time. You are doing so well - keep on going :)
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    The hell with them. That speaks more to their immaturity and lack of character than anything else. Some people never grow up and compensate for their own insecurities by hurting other people and thinking it's funny.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't let some idiot stop you. Keep going. Also, get some headphones. I can only imagine the things yelled to me over the years, but I'm totally oblivious if I have my tunes going.

Yeah, who knows what I get called. It's easy to laugh when you're driving a car and not out there doing it yourself. I bet you have better endurance than the jerk yelling at you. Keep going.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Says a lot about them and nothing about you. Keep your chin up. That SOB has an ugly soul and you, my dear, are beautiful.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I remember getting whistled at when I was nine years old. It was really terrifying, and that plus many future catcalls were part of the reason I have always been ambivalent about losing weight. I like my armor you know. I think though your post makes me realize, they are not objective, selective, or even rational these haters. They are just trying to find someone they see as weak: maybe old, maybe fat, maybe young, and they pick on them to make themselves feel better. Some people just aren't worth their air you know. I am so jealous of your forty pounds. You're doing a fabulous job. You better keep striding or I might catch up. ; )