Got called Fatty :(

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Part of reaching your goals is to mentally block ALL negativity.

The world is a mean place full of mean people. As Tyrion Lannister says, "“Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.” "
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Also, where's your headphones?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Never get into a back and forth with people like this. Avoid any sort of comebacks because it only makes you look like you put thought and time into it. Just take what people say, let it go, and move on. There will always be nameless nasty piece of **** people who will fade into nothingness after they die. That is just how the world is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, Just came back from a 4.26 Mile walk, fairly brisk pace, think I'm doing pretty well, I've lost over 40 lbs, and while walking a car drove past & someone yelled out the window "WALK FASTER FATTY" Made me feel a little like all my hard work is nothing. Not sure if this makes me feel unmotivated, or more motivated to 'show them' Still trying to sort out my feelings right now and needed to vent!

It happens. I beat the crap out of a guy in Davis Square in Somerville, MA because he said that to me while I was running.

Sometimes people are ****s. Water off the duck's back. Keep on doing you, and just be happy that they'll die of colon cancer in three years.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    4.26 mile walk!!! great job!

They are morons
  • voraciouszest
    Options
    I understand how you feel. It's people like that that make it so hard for me to feel comfortable exercising in public..

People are judgmental and any idiot driving around yelling at anyone on the street is not worth knowing or listening to.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Some people are just idiots. Seriously. I'm so sorry this happened to you but honestly it would've probably happened if you where over weight or not. They probably would've yelled a different slur if you where thin, or whatever. What I'm trying to say, is that some people are jerks and set out to act like *kitten*, so they probably would've picked on you no matter what your weight was, no matter if you where older or younger, and so on. Just know that you are on the right track and that they are just idiots.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    What a d0uche canoe... you rock on Paula.
  • allielikesjazz
    allielikesjazz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aw, man. I'm really sorry that happened to you. It stinks, and it's difficult to feel good about yourself and motivated when there are idiots who are cruel enough to hate on random people. Imagine how much they must dislike themselves, though, to be so mean to someone random.

I used to have similar issues when I used to run in my neighborhood, and that was when I was 50lbs lighter (sadly, I've lost and gained over the last two years). There was this specific house I ran past, and these folks would make remarks from the safety of their porch all while holding onto their cigarettes and beer. One day I ran past and, as they made comments about my fat while puffing away on their smokes, I stopped and remarked, "Yeah...I may be a little chubby, but I'm sure I could still beat you in a race around the block." They snickered...but shut up real quick. ;) I don't recommend doing that, because I am mouthy and will probably get my a** kicked if I'm not careful. Point is, just keep doing what you're doing. There's always going to be someone who's got something to say no matter what you look like or what ability level you're at. The important thing is that you're making progress for you. Congrats, by the way, on that progress!
  • juliepate1111
    Options
    That is about them, not about you. Celebrate your accomplishments and don't pay attention to haters.
    I am proud of you.
    Good luck on your journey. Keep walking on the sunny side of the street:)
    Julie
  • theonepercentile
    Options
    ignore them and keep working hard
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What a nasty thing to say to someone!
    Remember: you can always lose weight and still be a beautiful person, inside and out.
    That guy will still be a jerk, unhappy and ugly.
    Better to be overweight than dumb, mean, sad, classless and worthless
    This.

I would caution against having headphones, or at least keep the volume down low enough that you could hear someone coming up behind you. Can't tune the world out... good way to get attacked.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Jay Sus I hate people sometimes. I'm sorry that happened to you. I haven't forgotten the times it happened to me.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Ditto from what everyone has said. Don't let this a*****e bring you down! Keep moving forward and don't give this jerk a second thought. You are way far better than he is!
  • pirate_john_75
    pirate_john_75 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Such people aren't worth your time.
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had some one call me fat once while I was riding my bike. We were at a stop light. I just yelled to her: So you're a hag and that will never change. I am at least riding my bike.

She was like: well I got a car....

Me in my brain: Um.... Okay???

I just laughed!!! I don't let it get me down.

Don't let it get you down either.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    “If someone calls you a failure it's more than likely they feel like one.”― Donna Lynn Hope
  • free2beany12
    Options
    I walk my dog every day... he too has a few weight issues :) but together we are getting there... We do 45 mins every lunchbreak and I've seen the s******s and the laughs as we both waddle along but I'm going to keep on going.. yes it gets me down too sometimes but I just think to myself every day is a step nearer to where I want to be .. so glad you ranted and you're feeling better.. today I got a toot from a truck driver.. maybe things are improving :)

Good Luck and keep going WE will get there xx
  • mybeesknees
    Options
    And while you were walking they were driving. I wonder who is fitter...

Great point!

Listen, that person does not deserve to stay in your mind for free; kick their *kitten* out. Their opinion means nothing and as I can tell, you showed that you were the better person by not reacting to their ignorance and hatefulness. Remember this: the wolf does not lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Keep on keeping on!
  • shesang
    shesang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    40 lbs! Well done :) Years ago someone laughed at me while I was trying to ride my bike up a small hill. I remember the anger, sadness and disappointment in myself but I kept riding and since have completed a triathlon other personal fitness goals. Keep walking, you have done an amazing job!
  • emilysw02
    emilysw02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To anyone this happens to I guarantee they were in a car with friends they were trying to impress. You weren't thought of as a person but as a target. People yell dumb stuff all the time. Someone yelled at my friend that she was ugly but she is really very pretty and it really bothered her. Most of the people who do this if they sat down with you and talked to you and knew how their little drive by had actually affected you would feel like ****. Just chalk it up to people acting dumb and trying to get a reaction for a laugh to be childish.

Just remember that you are the one with the drive, changing your life for the better one step at a time. Don't give someone who can't recognize that kind of greatness power over you.