Got called Fatty :(

Options

Replies

• hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm ... Interesting they can make a comment as such, considering they were driving. At least you were out walking.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Remember: you can always lose weight and still be a beautiful person, inside and out.
    That guy will still be a jerk, unhappy and ugly.

^^^This
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Such support. I actually hesitated to post it because it was so embarrassing. I haven't even told hubby although I know he'd feel bad for me and pissed at them. too embarrassed. (Maybe I will someday when I'm close to goal weight) Anyway today I have a fresh outlook, & double the motivation. I have been wanting to lift for about 4 months and know I should but have been putting it off for fear of wrong technique, sore muscles, less calorie deficit from less cardio burn, (I do some cardio almost every day) And a whole host of other excuses. I have some equipment I bought months ago & TODAY I'm going to use it. So Thanks to you all,.....And even thanks to the a55hole!
  • notyalc66
    notyalc66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately some people enjoy being intentionaly cruel and vicious.

I had Bells Palsy 8 years ago , and had to wear an eye patch for a couple of months,, some of the comments in the street were unbeleiveable. It was a real eye opener (lol). I dread to think what people with serious disabilities have to endure.

I have also had the usual fatty comments, one recent one stuck with me.

I was cycling to work and 2 runners were coming towards me down the cycle/pedestrian path in the opposite direction to me.
    They were running side by side. They did not go single file and i had to stop.
    as they approached me, i said to them "come on guys, we are supposed to share this path".
    I made a point of not swearing or sounding aggressive. The guy on my side of the path said "sorry mate" so i cycled on about 10 yards. The the other guy shouted back " F**K off you great fat C**T.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The world can be a very cruel place. As your self esteem grows these comments will just roll right off!:drinker: Remember, these comments are coming from a person who is very insecure and messed up!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Seriously does the person in that car have ANY relevance whatsoever in your life? NO they don't so why take anything they say to heart? You know how far you have come, you know what your goals are so keep pushing forward and let that kind of loser go on about their way. Don't let is slow you down!!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Such support. I actually hesitated to post it because it was so embarrassing. I haven't even told hubby although I know he'd feel bad for me and pissed at them. too embarrassed. (Maybe I will someday when I'm close to goal weight) Anyway today I have a fresh outlook, & double the motivation. I have been wanting to lift for about 4 months and know I should but have been putting it off for fear of wrong technique, sore muscles, less calorie deficit from less cardio burn, (I do some cardio almost every day) And a whole host of other excuses. I have some equipment I bought months ago & TODAY I'm going to use it. So Thanks to you all,.....And even thanks to the a55hole!

Good for you. Living well is the best revenge!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I bought headphones for this very reason, not just getting harassed negatively by some but hit on by perverted men driving down the road while I'm in regular clothes walking my kids to and from school. Just ignore them, insecure people have to knock down others to lift themselves up.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Seriously does the person in that car have ANY relevance whatsoever in your life? NO they don't so why take anything they say to heart? You know how far you have come, you know what your goals are so keep pushing forward and let that kind of loser go on about their way. Don't let is slow you down!!

^^^This, from my lovely friend! :)
    OP< words are just formed letters...don't give words power. Your action of losing 40lbs already has more power than any words thrown at you. Smile and feel sorry for their pathetic, black hearts. You're the one who's winning.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This speaks volumes about their character.

Focus on you and your end goal and be proud of that!

Ignore the bullys ... humans can be so despicable at times.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Something that really helped me, was when I realized the greatest punishment for the their behaviour is having to live between those ears. These are miserable, unhappy, and stupid people. They are going for a reaction from you, so if you give one, it better be great or nothing at all. [recommend ignore, as if you are hurt, they will relish any expression as such]

By great, I mean you need to be able to whither them down to nothing in seconds. As a part time insult comic, I savaged a few men who expected weakness, and didn't expect to be quickly and judiciously lambasted with every observable flaw in front of their friends. It was probably immature on my part, but it felt great. You can't really do that with a drive by, though.

Young women seemed most likely to do this driving by, with mocking cat calls, wolf whistles, laughs, but never in person, and never anyone I knew. It really hurt. I thought, this must be how all women see me, they just don't all say it. And like your situation, most were when I was exercising.

The guys on the other hand were usually people I knew, and somehow thought it appropriate to "bust my balls" and try to embarass me in front of a group or get a laugh from them, maybe at a party while getting some food, or because I was sweating, etc. This didn't hurt, so much, because I usually got the better, and once ripped, they didn't want to continue looking stupid in front of friends. I can only count on one hand how often this happened. But what I learned, was not to give these types of people any power over your life.
  • danielleforrest00
    Options
    That is so mean :( I am so sorry that happened to you. People can be so cruel. This happened to me last weekend.... I was so embarrassed. It really brought me down, but then I realized that I didn't care what they said. I'm happy with who I am, and proud of what I have accomplished, and you should too!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Just don the b-ltch face during your walk. Most people are scared by this.

"Will she kill me? Should I say that? Nope."
  • fluffygrump
    fluffygrump Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    D-bags in cars yell out all kinds of things looking for a reaction. When I was younger & thin, I got all kinds of sexually explicit things yelled at me and even very odd things like 'Nice pants!!' (They were average black relaxed fit yoga pants, no holes or anything - I think they were suffering from a serious lack of imagination). My point is that you don't have to do anything but be in the wrong place at the wrong time for someone to hurl insults at you from the safety of a car. Has zero to do with you. Rock on, Paula!!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    So, Just came back from a 4.26 Mile walk, fairly brisk pace, think I'm doing pretty well, I've lost over 40 lbs, and while walking a car drove past & someone yelled out the window "WALK FASTER FATTY" Made me feel a little like all my hard work is nothing. Not sure if this makes me feel unmotivated, or more motivated to 'show them' Still trying to sort out my feelings right now and needed to vent!

For some reason, it is still acceptable to treat fat people with naked, open, public contempt.

I totally hear your pain. I've spent decades sucking up that kind of abuse. Hearing the whispers when I walk into a room. Having people look at me with obvious disdain. Shouting insults at me on the street.

Takes a toll. Now I've lost some weight I don't get it anymore. Is that a win? Hard to say. The jerks are just insulting other people.

I don't really have any advice.

Frank
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Small minds and big mouths...

You just keep doing what is best for you and don't let anyone else's issues bring you down!
  • jaimie120
    jaimie120 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So, Just came back from a 4.26 Mile walk, fairly brisk pace, think I'm doing pretty well, I've lost over 40 lbs, and while walking a car drove past & someone yelled out the window "WALK FASTER FATTY" Made me feel a little like all my hard work is nothing. Not sure if this makes me feel unmotivated, or more motivated to 'show them' Still trying to sort out my feelings right now and needed to vent!

Nobody has walked in your shoes, lived your life or knows what you have accomplished. The only reason people bully and are cruel is because they are insecure. You got this, keep going and don't worry about what others have to say.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Update... So I started strength training today. Guess the mean remark did more good than harm. Do I love it like a lot of others say they do? HECK NO! Hated every second! lol. Hopefully that will change over time. Thanks again everyone for your support! :drinker:
  • Tubecat
    Tubecat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some bloke did almost the exact same thing to me on my 2nd ever run in public. But you're doing this for you, not for him. He's clearly an iijit. Go you for carrying on, regardless of rampant muppetry.
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Those are the same very people who will laugh at you for trying to succeed in ANYTHING in life. **** em. You are doing an AMAZING job and I would kill to be 40 pounds down. Dont worry, one day life and age will catch up with them, and we'll be sitting on our decks looking svelte, having a wee suppressed giggle at their hardships in turn. Karma always has a way.