dumb questions people that don't workout ask you

Options

Replies

• cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ooh, a favorite at work and more like a dumb question people that don't know you work out ask: "do you need some help with that?" when i'm carrying a 10-20 pound box. uhhhhh, i think i'm okay, thanks. :yawn:
  • edenburnin
    edenburnin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get the "how did you do it" one a lot. And when you say watching what I eat and working out, they look at me dumbfounded. Like I just spoke in a foreign language.

Also, they continually refer to running as jogging. I guess it makes them feel better about the fact that they do nothing. Not quite sure why that one.

My favorite is when they ask for advice. And you tell them about MFP or just using something to keep track of their intake, and also to start with any exercise they enjoy....It's like you can see their eyes glaze over. hahahaha
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "Why would you want to run 100 miles? I don't even want to drive 100 miles." Followed by "there's NOTHING I would want to do for 24 hours." (uh, how about breathe?) Followed by "I think I'm going to start a new ultra where I punch myself in the d*#& 100 times. Bet that one will take off too." Yes, these were all from the same person...
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My cousin asked: "How do you lose weight? Is it through exercise and nutrition?"

Seriously, if there is any other way, will somebody PLEASE tell me??
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    ooh, a favorite at work and more like a dumb question people that don't know you work out ask: "do you need some help with that?" when i'm carrying a 10-20 pound box. uhhhhh, i think i'm okay, thanks. :yawn:

This happened to me the other night at Lowes when I bought a new ladder and was carrying it under one arm, the associate kept insisting that I needed a cart, I assured her that "I got this"
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    At church breakfast someone asked me when I started eating pancakes again? I had skipped a few pancakes at some breakfasts at the start of my weight loss.so many ask me what i have given up. Or I hate the ones who ask me if I am ok like I have a disease or something that is making me lose weight.
  • acnoyes
    acnoyes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    At church breakfast someone asked me when I started eating pancakes again? I had skipped a few pancakes at some breakfasts at the start of my weight loss.so many ask me what i have given up. Or I hate the ones who ask me if I am ok like I have a disease or something that is making me lose weight.

That's a good one! The one I get is - "Are you doing that (losing weight) on purpose?"

:laugh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This
    th?id=HN.608004826357960085&pid=15.1&P=0

and the 30+% bodyfat person who asks "How can I just tone my arms"
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    how do you cary so much? how do you do x with out getting out of breath?
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This
    th?id=HN.608004826357960085&pid=15.1&P=0

and the 30+% bodyfat person who asks "How can I just tone my arms"

Tell them to only do their curls in the squat rack.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Is [random food item] good for me to eat? No, you should stop all eating immediately.

Do you lift weights? No, I was born with 21" biceps and they've been that size ever since.

Why do you eat like that? To make you look even worse.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How can you jump rope that fast and still be fat?

OK, I know this is a rude thing for someone to say to you, but I have to admit it really struck me as funny. Keep up the jumping!! :flowerforyou:

He through one of those "I don't mean to offend you then quote above". I told him my diet is trash. We had a good laugh together. It the truth though. If there was a way to outrun a poor diet I would of done it years ago.

I think it's easier for guys to talk like this to each other. We would never say that to a woman. lol

It has to do with me being more accepting to the fact that I was fat then and still am. So what. Time to keep pushing
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Why do you eat like that? To make you look even worse.

lol
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    "Women shouldn't be drinking protein powder"

I've gotten this one. My favorite was that I ordered a low cal whey protein, had it delivered to my office since it would get there faster than my house, and one girl asked "really? you're going to use that?" and another girl told her (in front of me) "she shouldn't, women shouldn't take protein supplements unless they are trying to bulk up. Don't do that." :huh: Yep that was entertaining for me. I looked at them both and said it doesn't matter what I eat or drink if i'm on a deficit and walked away for them to ponder what I meant
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "Women shouldn't be drinking protein powder"

I've gotten this one. My favorite was that I ordered a low cal whey protein, had it delivered to my office since it would get there faster than my house, and one girl asked "really? you're going to use that?" and another girl told her (in front of me) "she shouldn't, women shouldn't take protein supplements unless they are trying to bulk up. Don't do that." :huh: Yep that was entertaining for me. I looked at them both and said it doesn't matter what I eat or drink if i'm on a deficit and walked away for them to ponder what I meant

Their heads exploded trying to figure that one out.
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on running! It took me six months to get to a point where I didn't feel like I was dying, but now I look forward to running. I will probably never love running, but I'm glad I run because it makes me feel good when I'm done. It's hard some days to get out of bed and lace up those shoes, but it gives me a huge mental boost throughout out my day to remember that I've already clocked in those miles. I eat less because I think about how hard I ran this morning and I don't want to undo all that hard work. I'll never be fast but I know I'm burning calories as I chug along.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    how did you lose all the weight?

"Well, it's a little more complex than this, but at the core of it it comes down to a pair of simple things..." I then lean in conspiratorally as if I'm about to tell the secrets of the universe and whisper after looking around to make sure no one's listening in.

"Eat less, move more."

The look of utter disappointment on their faces is delicious.
  • pigiaki
    pigiaki Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ''Why are you eating,you supposed to diet...''
    and i'm like Whaaat?!:tongue:
  • HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat normally?!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not a gym related question, but I rode my bicycle into work today. It was 10C outside when I did it. Every co-worker walked past me, say my helmet, and asked "you rode in today?" as if anyone who had attempted to do so would die from the cold. -.-'

I power walk to work each morning. I don't wear a jacket, and even then I'm sweating. And people still look at me as I am crazy for not having a jacket on. It's still 15C here in the mornings at the moment! If I wear a jacket for that walk, I'll cook!