Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    oilphins wrote: »
    I use to lift really heavy when I was in my 30's and it wasn't worth it because I gave myself a hernia. Not sure how old you are peeps but I would be careful because it is not worth the aggravation with surgery and not being able to ever lift heavy again. I think it gets to a point when your older you can only get to a certain weight before your overdoing it. Not trying to sound like a negative nelly either but unless your a power lifter in competitions, I don't see the point. Bench press is fine but the squats and deadlifts, I just don't quite get it. And if you hurt your back even once, it will never be the same. Good luck to you peeps and hope you stay healthy and injury free.
    Oh please. I'm 44 and I pulled 480 last week and I have only been deadlifting for a year.

If you are lifting incorrectly you will injure yourself - same with bench press -- but these dire warnings against squats and deadlifts I just don't get.

There exercises that take focus to learn and perform correctly. BTW today is squats and deadlifts day :lol:

Exactly and some would say that the bench press is by far the more technical lift and the lift with the most risk due to the complexities of the shoulder.

Have fun lifting!

I tore my right pectoral on the bench doing a very very lousy 190x5 set about six years ago. You want to know why? too wide of a grip. I still touched my chest. I did not tuck my elbows in. Flared them out at almost 90 degrees.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    I use to lift really heavy when I was in my 30's and it wasn't worth it because I gave myself a hernia. Not sure how old you are peeps but I would be careful because it is not worth the aggravation with surgery and not being able to ever lift heavy again. I think it gets to a point when your older you can only get to a certain weight before your overdoing it. Not trying to sound like a negative nelly either but unless your a power lifter in competitions, I don't see the point. Bench press is fine but the squats and deadlifts, I just don't quite get it. And if you hurt your back even once, it will never be the same. Good luck to you peeps and hope you stay healthy and injury free.

I think some folks would disagree with you.

This guy is 70. He looks so young.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Last time I reported in I was -35 lbs under the 1000 mark.

This past week, I test my maxes. Results below:
    • Bench: 285 lbs (129 kg) (03/25/2015)
    • Squat: 360 lbs (163 kg) (03/25/2015)
    • Deadlift: 440 lbs (199.5 kg) (03/28/2015)
    • TOTAL: 1,085 lbs. (492 kg)

Yesterday morning, I nailed the 440 lbs. on the second attempt deadlifting. Few minutes later I attempted 445 - nothing but utter failure. But that's a failure I am proud of. Since end of September I added +10 to my bench (training through a shoulder injury so that affected my performance), +65 lbs to my squat, and +45 to my deadlift. Overall since Sept '14, among the three lifts I've added a total of 120 lbs. (FYI: Lifts beltless.)

When I got back into the gym and back into barbell work three months later in June/July of 2014, I strained my back just trying to attempt a 115 lbs pull. Enter ice packs, heat pads and muscle relaxers. I think what really helped me was by forcing myself to take a 6-8 week detour by assigning Sumo and Front Squats as my primary lifts and not touching (back) squat or conventional deadlifts for that period. I also made a slight adjustment in the how wide I squat. You know *that* back pain you can sometimes get from either doing the dl or the squat? Well no longer.

Permit me to humblebrag, but I feel awesome.

Nice stats bro!

Thanks!

I now know who I want to be when I grow up!
    Oh please. I'm 44 and I pulled 480 last week and I have only been deadlifting for a year.

If you are lifting incorrectly you will injure yourself - same with bench press -- but these dire warnings against squats and deadlifts I just don't get.

There exercises that take focus to learn and perform correctly. BTW today is squats and deadlifts day :lol:

Exactly and some would say that the bench press is by far the more technical lift and the lift with the most risk due to the complexities of the shoulder.

Have fun lifting!

I tore my right pectoral on the bench doing a very very lousy 190x5 set about six years ago. You want to know why? too wide of a grip. I still touched my chest. I did not tuck my elbows in. Flared them out at almost 90 degrees.
    I think we had this conversation in the the 225 ~RM thread. Seems like you've more than mended.
  • rmboehm67
    rmboehm67 Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sadly because I Crossfit I haven't benched since college.
    Best recent gym lifts have been 435 squat and 535 deadlift so I'm going to make the bold statement and say I'm good to bench at least 30 pounds to get over 1,000
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Yesterday morning, I nailed the 440 lbs. on the second attempt deadlifting. Few minutes later I attempted 445 - nothing but utter failure. But that's a failure I am proud of. Since end of September I added +10 to my bench (training through a shoulder injury so that affected my performance), +65 lbs to my squat, and +45 to my deadlift. Overall since Sept '14, among the three lifts I've added a total of 120 lbs. (FYI: Lifts beltless.)

When I got back into the gym and back into barbell work three months later in June/July of 2014, I strained my back just trying to attempt a 115 lbs pull. Enter ice packs, heat pads and muscle relaxers. I think what really helped me was by forcing myself to take a 6-8 week detour by assigning Sumo and Front Squats as my primary lifts and not touching (back) squat or conventional deadlifts for that period. I also made a slight adjustment in the how wide I squat. You know *that* back pain you can sometimes get from either doing the dl or the squat? Well no longer.

Nice stats bro!

Thanks!

Have fun lifting!

I think we had this conversation in the the 225 ~RM thread. Seems like you've more than mended.

Oh yeah we did that was your thread I think.

Options

Nice stats bro!

Thanks!

Have fun lifting!

Oh yeah we did that was your thread I think.

Yep, I've changed names since then.

I'm testing max this weekend, about 65 pounds away from the 1200 club.
    Options
    rmboehm67 wrote: »
    Sadly because I Crossfit I haven't benched since college.
    Best recent gym lifts have been 435 squat and 535 deadlift so I'm going to make the bold statement and say I'm good to bench at least 30 pounds to get over 1,000
    Guess this means you'll have to re-enroll back in college.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    !

I agree with this. I just spent the last 8 months patiently reworking my bench press so I can engage my lats on heavy weights. At first, I found it fairly easy to engage my lats on light weights, but as the weight got heavier, I'd revert to my old form and press too much with arms and shoulders. It hasn't been until these last few weeks that I've been able to bench heavier weight (finally over 225) with my lats engaged.

It's still a struggle to get the form right at heavy weight, but I'm way better than I was last year.

So yeah, for me at least, I think the bench is the most technical lift of the big three. To do it right really takes some work. I find it difficult to get my shoulders to squeeze together while my back is on the bench... But it's been worth it to re-work my form.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Somebody better tell grandpa Joe about that. In June he went 120/85/200 for a 405kg total, at 67kg body weight and 85 years young.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Somebody better tell grandpa Joe about that. In June he went 120/85/200 for a 405kg total, at 67kg body weight and 85 years young.

Link to an article about Joe if anyone is interested. He's been lifting for years. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/85-year-old-weightlifter-from-alberta-sets-3-world-records-1.3161857

Plus for additional reference, I'll be 51 in the fall, have been lifting and competing for years. While my total isn't 1,000, I hit 667 at 125bw last Saturday.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I think you're in the wrong thread.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Link to an article about Joe if anyone is interested. He's been lifting for years. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/85-year-old-weightlifter-from-alberta-sets-3-world-records-1.3161857

Plus for additional reference, I'll be 51 in the fall, have been lifting and competing for years. While my total isn't 1,000, I hit 667 at 125bw last Saturday.

You are awesome! Keep it up!

My lifts, all gym no competitions.
    Deadlift 505
    Squat 425
    Bench 305

I actually will be testing this week after two more strength cycles so I hope to increase those a bit.
  • rmboehm67
    rmboehm67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I would gladly go back in heartbeat. But do I get to be 21 again?
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm like at the 300 club...lame...lifting hopefully to start next week.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just wrapped up 1rm week.
    Bench: 385 lbs
    Squat: 435 lbs
    Deadlift: 445 lbs

I weigh somewhere between 212 and 225 depending on day/time/diet/whatever.
    Options
    rmboehm67 wrote: »

I would gladly go back in heartbeat. But do I get to be 21 again?
    Me too, but as thirty-year old. A young thirty-something and with my present bank account, not my college poverty bank account.
    Options
    !

I agree with this. I just spent the last 8 months patiently reworking my bench press so I can engage my lats on heavy weights. At first, I found it fairly easy to engage my lats on light weights, but as the weight got heavier, I'd revert to my old form and press too much with arms and shoulders. It hasn't been until these last few weeks that I've been able to bench heavier weight (finally over 225) with my lats engaged.

It's still a struggle to get the form right at heavy weight, but I'm way better than I was last year.

So yeah, for me at least, I think the bench is the most technical lift of the big three. To do it right really takes some work. I find it difficult to get my shoulders to squeeze together while my back is on the bench... But it's been worth it to re-work my form.
    What has helped my bench tremendously is to do a little rowing before hand. I just grab those bungee tube things and work on engaging the lats and warming up the shoulders. A couple sets of 20 and I am ready to go.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Wow, you might have the closest spread of lifts I've ever seen. 60lbs between all three lifts!

In comparison, my spread is almost 300lbs.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Wow, you might have the closest spread of lifts I've ever seen. 60lbs between all three lifts!

In comparison, my spread is almost 300lbs.

Yeah, I'm weird. It goes way back. Benching was always my "good" lift. I've only been doing traditional deadlifts for a year, so some of that is likely form related and/or psychological (we were pushed to do trap bar dl's for football). That being said, I've only been lifting again for a year, so I'll gladly take having my lifts be back to where they were (or slightly higher) fifteen years ago.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Current

Bench 265
    Squat 275
    DL 335

^^is a good reason to tell young'uns to not skip leg day
    Currently in a cal deficit so I'm just trying to hold on to what I have.
    Hoping when I start a cal surplus in Oct those numbers start climbing.