Next time you go to subway

Options

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date. and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets. Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced. There is nothing authentic about subway, and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

I think you are describing conditions at any fast food restaurant, not just Subway. The owners want to cut cost so they serve things beyond their expiration date or pick them up off the floor. Keep in mind that these places are being staffed by minimum wage earners who may not have the motivation or maturity to maintain high standards.

I think the healthy marketing of Subway is largely fraudulent, and they aren't any better than any other fast food dump. If having bread made with 30+ ingredients or their version of “chicken” (I’m being kind in calling that spongy processed wad of crap with nearly 20 ingredients chicken) is eating fresh, our standards have dropped hopelessly low.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date. and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets. Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced. There is nothing authentic about subway, and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

I think you are describing conditions at any fast food restaurant, not just Subway. The owners want to cut cost so they serve things beyond their expiration date or pick them up off the floor. Keep in mind that these places are being staffed by minimum wage earners who may not have the motivation or maturity to maintain high standards.

While that is more than likely true there's no reason why it should be that way. If I were to get a job at a fast food restaurant and was told I had to sell food past expiration dates and it's fine if you drop the bread on the floor, just dust it off and serve it any way to "cut costs" you bet your butt I would not only quit but call corporate and the health department and let them know what was going on.

If you (and I am using that term blanket. Not you specifically) wouldn't eat there because of how they handle their food then why would you even think it's perfectly fine for the general public?

Slightly OT: what really grossed me out and made me more aware of restaurants and bars was watching Bar Rescue.

Woah. :noway: :sick:

And again, sitting there watching the show and how disgusting the places are before they get rescued I can't help but be blown away by the fact that the owners let that stuff happen! A recent one the floor behind the bar was so nasty and the grease in the fryer was so old it looked like car oil! They were told to clean it up and they all stood around asking each other 'What are we supposed to do? How do we do this?" I mean really?! Again, if you wouldn't think to get a drink or food at the place you work because it's so nasty then how is that ok for the general public?
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm amused at how you think people should be surprised. Is this your first job? It has to at least be your first job in food service. I worked at a handful of fast food places during and after high school, and this is how it is everywhere. Wendy's, Sonic, McDonald's, Jack in the Box... Maybe you thought it was a shocker because people think of Subway as somewhat "healthy"...? Don't get me wrong, I love subway. It's affordable, and better for you than other fast food joints, but seriously, this is everywhere. I'm honestly perplexed about how many people on this thread have said about that they worked in food service and NEVER saw anything like that. Honestly, I always tried my best to wash my hands, do everything according to code, avoid cross contamination, etc. But most people that work fast food jobs are high schoolers. They don't give a rats *kitten* if you get sick from the food.

And as far as the changing dates on food goes, they don't just keep doing it for an unreasonable amount of time and let the food go bad. Most fast food chains have unreasonably short food holding periods. At sonic, sliced limes can't be stored for more than 4 hours. Even if they're covered and refrigerated. So, of course, I've seen people change the date on them. While this is an unethical practice, food costs would be through the roof if fast food places abided by the expiration date rules set by the company.

Geez. I didn't mean to make this that long. :| sorry, guys.

Who doesn't order "ice" with their drink...right?
    Most people do!
    Besides the fast food places where You might get your own drink, you don't know that the waiter didn't either A: dip the cup in the ice w/out gloves on or B: didn't use the ice scoop and instead fished out a handful of ice w/ their bare hands :sick:
    Their hands have not only contaminated Your ice but all the other ice that will be used for others...that same hand that scratched their heads, wiped their face (etc), picked up something dirty.
    I never take a lemon wedge w/ my drink.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I don't do this stuff, my manager teaches me to do this stuff. I haven't been in a situation to change the labels and haven't dropped bread yet.
    Let me ask you, would you bother to serve it to your relatives and/or family? If not, then WHY AREN'T YOU REPORTING IT?!!!!

If you're serving it KNOWING full well this is going on, you're just as RESPONSIBLE for causing the issue. Don't get how you don't understand this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Id rather keep my job, thank you.
    Ironic. So you come on here reporting that people shouldn't go to whatever Subway place you serve at because the food is "tainted", all the while KNOWINGLY willingly (note that because you want to keep your job) that you will serve it even though it may cause someone to get ill?
    Lol, then let's say that Food Protection services comes in and closes down the place. Would you still have a job?
    Honestly it doesn't sound like your that "concerned" about the food or else you'd do something about it. At the very least confront the manager. But it sounds like you're more concerned about losing a deceptive job, rather than do what's right.

Should probably become a politician.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tripsup
    Options
    If I were to get a job at a fast food restaurant and was told I had to sell food past expiration dates and it's fine if you drop the bread on the floor, just dust it off and serve it any way to "cut costs" you bet your butt I would not only quit but call corporate and the health department and let them know what was going on.

A lot of people at fast food jobs don't have the luxury of being able to just up and quit because they think the way the manager runs the place is gross.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    I don't care if what the OP said is true or not.. have you walked into a subway and smelled it? that right there is enough for me to turn around and walk out..

Subway = :sick:

Literally the last 2 times I ate subway, i was sick.

I dont mind the smell of cooking Subway bread and I eat there many times (at least once a month) and never got sick from it yet.

Mind You, I havent eaten from OP's Subway - might be a different story there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If I were to get a job at a fast food restaurant and was told I had to sell food past expiration dates and it's fine if you drop the bread on the floor, just dust it off and serve it any way to "cut costs" you bet your butt I would not only quit but call corporate and the health department and let them know what was going on.

A lot of people at fast food jobs don't have the luxury of being able to just up and quit because they think the way the manager runs the place is gross.
    Well heck, then why shouldn't selling cigarettes or alcohol to minors be legal then? I mean it would improve the income of the store that does it so they can hire more employees right?
    This sounds all fine and dandy, till someone gets brought up on charges. While money is important, I would think that people's lives would trump it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about the "chemicals" in it.

I'm more concerned about the overpriced wads of garbage they tout as "sandwiches" that all taste the same (i.e. 'crap") and don't keep me full for longer than an hour. Over it. I'd rather make a bomb-@ss sammy at home.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Why can't you make an anonymous complaint to a health inspector if you are worried about job security? (Understandable.)
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

As long as there's no dihydrogen monoxide. Did you know that stuff is the major component in EVERY tumor found in human bodies?!?
    I see what you did there.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My cousin manages a subway and would be appalled at the activities the Op has described. She is very proud of her job and her store.
  • shamrock432
    Options
    I used to work at Subway and they are so strict on hygiene.
    Out of date food is never used, not even if it goes over by one day.
    Anything that is dropped on the floor goes in the bin immediately, my hands used to get chapped from the amount of time we HAVE to wash our hands.

Yeah I know all the food isn't the healthiest or nicest but there's no need to take to an online forum to try and taint a business with false accusations just because you had a bad experience.

OP claims to work there and the practice they are talking about is implemented by the manager and they HAVE to do it that way.

S/he would rather sit quite and wait for someone to get violently ill than speak up and lose h/his job. Which I doubt they would if they were to speak up. Chances are the manager would be the one to get fired. But if s/he's willingly going along with the manager then perhaps they should be fired as well.

If you care about the quality of your food just make it yourself then. Subway is fast food and every chain of fast good is like eating pure garbage!!!!!!!!!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    Anything that is dropped on the floor goes in the bin immediately, my hands used to get chapped from the amount of time we HAVE to wash our hands.

Yeah I know all the food isn't the healthiest or nicest but there's no need to take to an online forum to try and taint a business with false accusations just because you had a bad experience.

OP claims to work there and the practice they are talking about is implemented by the manager and they HAVE to do it that way.

S/he would rather sit quite and wait for someone to get violently ill than speak up and lose h/his job. Which I doubt they would if they were to speak up. Chances are the manager would be the one to get fired. But if s/he's willingly going along with the manager then perhaps they should be fired as well.

If you care about the quality of your food just make it yourself then. Subway is fast food and every chain of fast good is like eating pure garbage!!!!!!!!!

How is that post relevant OP?

Anyway I do make home made food many times - but sometimes I like to buy take away and sometimes my choice is Subway. Sometimes it is KFC or pizza or whatever else.

Some people may not like fast food and some of it may not be that nutritious (but of course depends what you choose to get there) - but saying it is pure garbage is just silly nonsense.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Um, pretty much all of the meals that I eat are made at home. I go out to eat once, maybe twice a week and that is at a real restaurant.

The only time I will eat at places like Subway is if I'm traveling and need to grab something quick.

Seriously OP you just sound like a disgruntled employee. If you're so outraged over what is going on in that particular restaurant that it prompted you to make a post about it then perhaps you should say something to Corporate or the health department. Either way -- whether you say something or not -- if someone gets sick you're going to lose your job.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sounds like the REAL issue here is that you're trying to convert people over to "non fast food" eating. See real "garbage" can't be eaten or digested without consequences of botulism, bacterial infestation, etc.
    Fortunately for us that can eat fast food, this isn't an issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    OP must own stock in Jimmie Johns.

+1

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Why is this in Fitness and Exercise??
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes??
    My friend owns a subway- I can double check from her- but I can promise you she's never done that at HER"S.
    and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes? PS I eat food off my floor at home all the time- and I'm pretty sure cats are not remotely close to sanitary.
    Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced.
    and you're point? The meat I buy for dinner comes prepackaged- and sometimes when i'm lazy?? PRESLICED!!!
    There is nothing authentic about subway,
    it's a hoagie- not a cultural appreciation stop.
    and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

the air you breath is significantly full of chemicals as well- I guess you should just stop breathing too.

LOVE this! I eat food off the floor too as I have three cats!! And a dog. And a child. I'm disgusting.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    By these rules, my husband probably shouldn't eat any of the food I cook either....

THIS
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    food-on-floor.jpg
    tumblr_ls400eJKpe1r317bvo1_250.gif

^^ YES!!! I love Sophia -- ALLLLLL the G.G's!

But yea, I eat sandwiches at home (with pre-sliced meat and cheese **gasps** from home) and its just the same. Filled with all that delicious sodium and what not.

Seriously though, I use to work for Subway back in my high school days, and none of us ... EVER ... used ANY food that had fallen on the floor. If veggies were even remotely old/slimy, they got tossed. If bread was crusty or old, they got tossed. If any of the meats were "iffy" ... yep, they were tossed! I don't know where you live, or where you go, but that crap didn't happen where I worked. If you actually SAW that? Report them??

Sure, no doubt some ppl are dirty a$$es, but honey, you get that anywhere ... not just "fast food" restaurants. I like subway. Even after working there for over a year. So yep, you stay clear from there, and the rest of us will eat it hahaha
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone just got fired from Subway...

Generalizing doesn't do anyone any favors. Unless you're making your bread and lunchmeats at home, from scratch, all of the time, just don't eat sandwiches.

Even sandwich-hating is full of chemicals...oxytocin, to be exact. The same chemical that's released when you're in love too...like, in love with sandwiches, for example.

Mmmm...sandwich....nomnomnomnom.