Rudeness of a total stranger!

Options

Replies

• Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I think he was well intentioned, but it was handled poorly on his part.

I think I would have also said "I appreciate your offer, but I have already started a program of my own choosing and am already seeing results."

And left it at that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Be glad he was trying to help.

When I first started losing, I had a problem with a man who was verbally assaulting my child for running into his kid at the pool. He turned his verbal lashing of her to me and called me "big mama." I was down 18 lbs at the time and completely crushed by the incident.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I guess it was rather rude but he could have been trying to be helpful and phrased it rather awkwardly.

As a newbie at various sports over my life I've had a number of people want to "adopt me" to help me on my way. Some of them have been rough around the edges lets say but they have been well intentioned.

A few people have made comments like this. I think the analogy fails because he SINGLED HER OUT of a whole group of people. He made assumptions based on her appearance that she wasn't already taking steps to improve herself, or that she even WANTED to lose weight.
    It would be different if someone were at a gym and using a piece of equipment incorrectly, or struggling with a sport, or something like that. Not to speak for the OP, but I think in that case it becomes much less rude to offer help or advice.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think there are two sides to every story. Yes, he could have handled his approach very differently. He humiliated you publicly. You are working hard and doing the right things for you. However, you don't know his story either. Perhaps with all the obesity stories and shows in the media, he really felt inspired to try to find someone to help. He could have worded things differently, but maybe you're the first person he tried to help, and maybe he's cringing inside thinking of how he went about it the wrong way this first time and how he'll do things differently next time. Perhaps he saw what you were eating, and thought "at least you're already trying, so now let's take the next step". Don't judge too harshly; you don't know where he's coming from either.

If the guy didn't want to be perceived as rude, he shouldn't have done a rude thing - no matter his intentions or childhood history.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    This was rude.

She didn't ask for his help. He gave her unsolicited advice. How does he decide who should get his advice and who shouldn't? Does he stop every person he perceives as fat and offer them the same thing?

Further, to approach her in a group and call her out for needing to go to the gym is just absolutely unbelievable. Rude, hurtful, presumptive... If he had a shred of common sense or decency, he would have known that.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Why does your profile say your 36, yet you mention in 38 years of life? Skeptical cat is skeptical.

Probably for the same reason my screen name is Twinteensmom and my twins are 21 and no longer teenagers. Time marches on!
  • jupe314
    Options
    Wait...what? Nowhere did she say anything about anything being free, nor did he tell her he was a trainer who would forgo his normal fee. Not only was he thoughtless in what he said but that whole scenario just sounds "off". Not only rude, but incredibly creepy.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think the analogy fails because he SINGLED HER OUT of a whole group of people. He made assumptions based on her appearance that she wasn't already taking steps to improve herself, or that she even WANTED to lose weight.

Maybe he found her attractive and her problem was that they weren't dating so he was using the "you should let me take you to the gym" as a little segue into that play.

Is that an assumption? Sure. Is what you are thinking an assumption? Sure.

Seems to me if I can choose between a negative and a positive view of events in my life where I have incomplete information to make a truly accurate assessment then I will choose the positive...
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    And OP, I think the guy could have been more tactful, but I think his heart was in the right place.

As someone who has lost a bit of weight, I occasionally want to reach out to people that I see that are just like I was - I don't think I'd ever do it, but it's crossed my mind.

I agree with this. The delivery was wrong. The idea of going up and saying that to someone you don't know is wrong, but he was genuinely attempting to help you, though misguidedly. He showed concern for you, even if it was none of his business to do so. So while I don't agree with what he did, maybe instead of focusing on the negative side of this encounter you should focus on the positive. A stranger saw something in you that was worthwhile and worthy and they (albeit poorly) wanted to help you in being the best person you can be. It is of course, your decision on how to be that best person and none of his. But when you look at it in a positive light you can see his motivation as well - which does not necessarily have to be malicious in nature.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I think it could have been a really clumsy attempt at seduction.

I would have laughed at him.
  • 415sarahb
    Options
    What an awful and embarrassing situation... can we take the sting out of it by sharing embarrassing moments forced on us by total strangers? Because EVERYONE has them:
    - like the time a good friend of mine (who is in fact one of the skinniest people I have ever met) went to a high school reunion and was having a 'bloated stomach' day (yes, even thin people get these), and a former boyfriend rushed across the room to congratulate her on her non-existent pregnancy...
    - or the time my best friend was on a third date with a guy she REALLY liked and they were ordering their meal (fish) in a restaurant when an older woman at the next table leaned over and exclaimed "Oh no, women of childbearing age shouldn't order that fish because of the mercury in it, you know!"
    - or the many, many countless times when I was six months pregnant and strangers would comment kindly in public: "Oh, you must be due any day now". (No, not anywhere near, but thanks for making me feel like a heifer and creating anxiety about the size of my baby).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    what did he say that was rude?

Really? You don't think that approaching a stranger to point out their weight problem is rude? Where I come from - very rude!!!

Does your church ever go around offering to "help" nonbelievers with their "problem?" Do you consider that rude?

After this comment I would have to say "Amen"

Church people do make life hell knocking on door and wanting to "HELP ME".

OP, I'm wondering have you or the Church you believe in ever went around trying to help people revisit their belief.

If yes, Karma is a beautch. What goes around comes around.

Above posters comment hit me so hard b'coz jus' this Sunday they flocked in wanting to "Help Me" and I kept saying "Nope". And then the lady wanted to know "What was that I believe in"
  • msmichelelynn
    Options
    I have no doubts that the stranger meant well, but the approach was very crude, embarrassing and hurtful. If someone had pulled me to the side with this approach and it was one-on-one, it may have been taken completely differently, but to do this at a table full of my peers would have made me, personally, feel completely humiliated. I really do try to find the best in people and sometimes people don't stop to think before they act.

I'm super sorry that you had to go through that.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd punch him in the throat.

It's got nothing to do with the weight issue, and everything to do with the rudeness issue. I can't abide rude people.

Ok........
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Rude? Probably.. But it could also be motivational. You are on the right path: You want to lose weight. If you put in the effort, it will happen, and you will see results. If you half-*kitten* your attempt not so much. You should have said: Sure, when can we meet up :)
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The fact he said you had a "problem" ...eeesh how tactless and embarrassing.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Wow. How rude. Honestly... anytime I see someone that is overweight and they are eating say Subway instead of 5 items from the McDonalds $1 menu I think to myself "well good for them". Either way I wouldn't feel compelled to go a "help them" with their problem. But... you know what? You can't let it get you down and you gotta keep on trucking. You're working hard and it sounds like you've got a plan so that's all that matters. Haters gonna hate! ;)
  • _saphyre_
    Options
    Wow! That is EXTREMELY rude and that dude needs to mind his own business! *sends hugs* try not to let it get to you :(
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that happened to you. I can't take away the sting, but misery loves company right? I used to take care of an elderly woman with severe Alzheimer's disease. She used to ask me approximately every 15 minutes if I had to special order all of my clothing or drive really far for them. She said it with disgust. She was stuck in about 1940, so people were obviously much skinnier and their weren't "plus sizes" like there are today. She asked me questions all day like I was literally a circus freak. I've made a little goal for myself to compliment strangers when I think something positive (and appropriate of course) in my head. I think comments from strangers can be more powerful because they're not usually biased from knowing us. Not that that's the right way to feel, but I know I feel that way sometimes. So I try to compliment someone on their hair or their great style or something along those lines. Maybe it'll bring someone up when they're having a bad day. As for the person who confronted you...I would've been furious and probably said something like "**GASP** I'm overweight?!!? I had no idea..."
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    what did he say that was rude?

Really? You don't think that approaching a stranger to point out their weight problem is rude? Where I come from - very rude!!!

Agreed you don't just approach some complete stranger in public and point something like that out. Honest private criticism from a friend is one thing but all what he was doing will do is humiliate people.

And good luck OP. I know it can be slow sometimes. But just keep trying things till you find a lifestyle that works for you.

he offered to help, he didnt point and shout 'fatty'... misguided yes, but hardly the worst thing someone could say!

So if this guy wasn't rude...how about if...someone walked up to you...a total stranger...and said..."Let me help you with your attitude...how to be kind to others...how to show compassion."

Would you be insulted???

Problem some people have is learning their boundaries...if you need help with that...just let me know.

I know my response to you is rude...however...I thought that you needed help in learning what is appropriate in life...and what is not.