Has anyone ever been dumped because of their weight?

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I agree that it was just an excuse... the issues lay with him, not your weight.

When my ex broke up with me, one of the things he brought up that he said was a major issue for him about me was that I had let myself go, I was too big and he just didnt find that attractive. I was a size 4 and maybe 5lbs more than I was when we first started dating. We'd been together over 3 years.

I totally spiraled out of control and then I really did gain a lot of weight, but turns out, breaking up with me had nothing to do with anything wrong with me, hed been seeing several other women behind my back, and just needed an out because he was having more fun with that and just wanted to be single again. I guess making me feel horrible about myself seemed like a good out, I have no idea.

But I wish I knew then what I know now, I looked great then, and even though Im now a 12/14, I feel more confident about my body now than he made me feel back then. But anyway yeah, just sounds to me like hes using an excuse, any excuse, because he has other motives, and felt he had to think of something...anything...to say as a reason to end the relationship. But like I said, the issue is with him, not you or your weight, cause he was fine with it all that time, and now its an issue? Nope! Not likely.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I've never been dumped because of it...but my ex did tell me the reason he cheated on me was that I was too fat. So it was my fault he cheated, because he couldn't get what he needed at home. You're better off with out him, you should find a guy that likes you for you, and isn't overly concerned about your weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I've never been dumped because of it...but my ex did tell me the reason he cheated on me was that I was too fat. So it was my fault he cheated, because he couldn't get what he needed at home. You're better off with out him, you should find a guy that likes you for you, and isn't overly concerned about your weight.

Just wow. I don't understand how people do this.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I had guy tell me (we were on a blinddate) once a long time ago that I'd be really pretty if I lost some weight... I told him he'd be really handsome if he got rid of the dead cat he wore on his head and grew some hair.

There was NOT a second date.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Why does a person have to be shallow and immature because they want to be physically attracted to a person they may spend the rest of their life with? I work hard everyday in the gym so I can be what turns my wife on physically. When she sees a good looking guy on TV or in a magazine with his shirt off, I want her to think of me and know she already has that.

I thought the same thing.....

But w/ my ex, didn't seem to matter
    She couldn't enjoy it...

She was more upset with how I ate, when I ate and that my waist was smaller than hers.....

So go figure.....

Kinda frustrating for me....it was like "Damn, can't you just say 'Wow!! You look great'"?
    I mean I would compliment her if she came down the stairs looking nice and all dressed up......she wnated to hear it.
    But for some reason I didn't???
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I had guy tell me (we were on a blinddate) once a long time ago that I'd be really pretty if I lost some weight... I told him he'd be really handsome if he got rid of the dead cat he wore on his head and grew some hair.

There was NOT a second date.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Women are so feisty.....
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Why does a person have to be shallow and immature because they want to be physically attracted to a person they may spend the rest of their life with? I work hard everyday in the gym so I can be what turns my wife on physically. When she sees a good looking guy on TV or in a magazine with his shirt off, I want her to think of me and know she already has that.

She couldn't enjoy it...

She was more upset with how I ate, when I ate and that my waist was smaller than hers.....

So go figure.....

Kinda frustrating for me....it was like "Damn, can't you just say 'Wow!! You look great'"?
    I mean I would compliment her if she came down the stairs looking nice and all dressed up......she wnated to hear it.

That sucks man. A lack of appreciation when you are putting in hard work is worse IMO than a person losing physical attraction in a case of someone letting go and not caring. Before I get all the butthurt people. I'm not saying the OP's case is one of letting go. I'm using letting go as a general term.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago, my boyfriend of 7 months broke up with me because I am 'too fat for him.' He is 170 pounds and 6'3. I WAS 192.2 pounds and 5'3. Right now I'm 174.4 pounds. He said that for the past few months he lost all attraction towards me, he said I was too fat and I need to lose weight. Has anyone else ever been broken up with because their partner wasn't attracted to them/because of their weight? It is a horrible feeling, but he opened my eyes on my health.

Hello fellow CTer.

The guy is a scrub. It is good to be attracted to someone physically but to just give up on someone and say that they are too fat is immature. If he is 6'3 and 170 pounds then maybe he should start lifting because he is a pencil.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    nope-i dumped him after being threatened for 10 years that he would leave me if i gained weight.
    best loss ever!
  • InnerFitChick
    InnerFitChick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No, this has never happened to me, no matter my weight.
    I guess I should feel good that I date men who know a good woman when they see one.

Sorry that happened to you. Best of luck with bettering your health.
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes my spouse of 17 yrs. left me because I had gained weight. I look better now than I did when we met & he tried once to come back. So sorry not happening. LOL
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but I'll say this. At least he was honest, told you what he thought and moved on. So you can now do the same. There will be many ways to look at this, but for me he told you straight and there's some value in that. Just do what makes you happy! Oh and no, that's never happened to me (so what do I know eh).

I am moving on, I'm not dwelling on the past. He gave me a wake-up call and our breakup was a blessing in disguise. I will do what makes me happy, thank you! :)

Good for you!! I was going to say that you are better off without someone shallow!! When my boyfriend and I starting dating he was a little heavier than me but not by much. now I am A lot heavier than him but he never mentions it! he's very supportive because he wants me to be healthy and knows I would feel a lot better. I'm really lucky and grateful for that. I hope you find someone who deserves you :)
  • alligatorrawr
    alligatorrawr Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes my spouse of 17 yrs. left me because I had gained weight. I look better now than I did when we met & he tried once to come back. So sorry not happening. LOL

Good for you!!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Never had someone leave because of my weight...

I did have my (ex) fiance leave me and our daughter,after being together for 3 years, because I was not good enough for God.... God told him. They are homeboys and they talked about it. *nods* Some bull like that.
  • MityMax96
    Options

She couldn't enjoy it...

So go figure.....

That sucks man. A lack of appreciation when you are putting in hard work is worse IMO than a person losing physical attraction in a case of someone letting go and not caring. Before I get all the butthurt people. I'm not saying the OP's case is one of letting go. I'm using letting go as a general term.

All good.

Moving on.
  • soinfinite
    Options
    When I was 20, I got into my first serious relationship. We were together for 6 months, and were living together. One night, I slept over at my parents, and the next day when I got home he told me he had cheated on me with a co-worker of his. He was the first guy I had slept with, so it completely broke my heart. But it hurt even worse when he told me that he couldn't handle how big I was.

It hurt worse than anything, but once I was out of the relationship, my life changed for the better. He messaged me on facebook a couple of months ago, and told me that he regretted breaking up with me because I was the best thing to ever happen to him. I laughed, because I hadn't even thought about him in so long.

Now, I'm in an amazing relationship, with someone who appreciates me for everything I am and everything I am not, and I can't imagine being happier. Sometimes, things like this need to happen, in order for us to realize our own worth. :)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    When I was 20, I got into my first serious relationship. We were together for 6 months, and were living together. One night, I slept over at my parents, and the next day when I got home he told me he had cheated on me with a co-worker of his. He was the first guy I had slept with, so it completely broke my heart. But it hurt even worse when he told me that he couldn't handle how big I was.

It hurt worse than anything, but once I was out of the relationship, my life changed for the better. He messaged me on facebook a couple of months ago, and told me that he regretted breaking up with me because I was the best thing to ever happen to him. I laughed, because I hadn't even thought about him in so long.

Now, I'm in an amazing relationship, with someone who appreciates me for everything I am and everything I am not, and I can't imagine being happier. Sometimes, things like this need to happen, in order for us to realize our own worth. :)

well as much as that sucks.

You can be grateful of the fact he told you point blank.....
    So you could move on and find something better for you. :wink:
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago, my boyfriend of 7 months broke up with me because I am 'too fat for him.' He is 170 pounds and 6'3. I WAS 192.2 pounds and 5'3. Right now I'm 174.4 pounds. He said that for the past few months he lost all attraction towards me, he said I was too fat and I need to lose weight. Has anyone else ever been broken up with because their partner wasn't attracted to them/because of their weight? It is a horrible feeling, but he opened my eyes on my health.

Sounds to me like you just lost a lot more weight. About 170 lbs of dead weight. I've never been dumped for being overweight, at one point I was 260 lbs and still hit on by what I thought were very attractive men. He said it has been "months" that he was no longer attracted to you...yet after you lost 20 lbs he decided to dump you? I call BS.
  • wellz6
    Options

Sorry to hear what happened. If your goal is to lose weight then just use this experience as motivation to keep pushing yourself to do better. I'm sure everything will work out just fine for you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Nope. I only got fat after getting married, was only fat for about a year, then turned it around. Not long enough for husbando to decide that cushin wasn't worth pushin'. :laugh: