Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Why can't we all just agree to disagree on this? Why can't people understand that you can literally convert 0 people to your point of view by telling them how wrong and stupid they are for thinking what they think?

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

THANK YOU for this elusive nugget of wisdom that has thus far bypassed me. Now I know the secret!

*eatshawtfashionablerichhappywomenbecausethatswhatshewantstobeforevah*
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The ops diary is interesting. Obviously the definition of clean is rather broad. And includes processed deli turkey string cheese ........
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You shoudn't be sorry!

I just 'tried' to have this conversation with someone - you get out what you put in. Eat poorly, workout half *kitten*, lose no weight, feel bad, then give up! Eat better, kick a&& workouts, lose weight, feel great, keep going - increase your health outlook!

I admit, we all reach this point in our own time but don't knock it until you try it!

hmmm...what about the combo of eating "ok", having kick-*kitten* workouts, losing body fat, feeling great, continuing to succeed?
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why so many people try MFP...fail....try again...fail...people will find anything they can to eat what they want and call it healthy...

Oh? So my success at losing 60lbs is a lie (as well as the keeping it off for the most part for a few years) because I couldn't do it being restrictive but rather flexible? Not to mention me getting out of a few deficiencies I was facing because of the restrictiveness and my overall health improvement (especially my back issues)?

Oh. Okay.
    So you lost your weight eating twinkies and hohos? Probably not...and I never said restrictive... just saying all these people saying 1,000 calories of Big Macs is the same as 1,000 of fruit, vegetables and lean meats is just silly and misleading. But I'm not here to argue...lol...if people want to chow that crap and pretend they are healthy...have at it...no skin off my back
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

I think your statment "But that's not the point of all this" is where the issue may lie. A broader concept of being healthy may be the point from YOUR perspective, which means that "point" fits here, on your post. But that doesn't mean that your concept of "the point of all this" fits THEIR post. Lots of people, especially those who are starting out, are focused on just losing weight because that's often the quantifiable metric they use to judge themselves.

So, if the individual is here for weight loss and that is their personal point for being here, then emphasizing focusing on caloires over types of foods can be a good initial approach. For them, they might not agree with you that "The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life" at this time. They could just be looking to lose the weight they're carrying *now*, see the number on the scale go down, and feel their clothes getting looser.

If we can get them to lose weight with focusing on a calorie defecit, then we will likely have fulfilled the goal of an individual for whom the "point" of an MFP membership is weight loss.

After that, there's usually opportunities to address food types because that's usually when issues of satiety and energy levels start to come up. They start saying "I'm meetign my calorie goals, but I'm always hungry" or "I'm tired". That's a time to discuss food choices like moving away from pre-processed foods and even suggesting your concept of clean eating. But those topics are easier to motivate them to address if they see that they're already fulfilling the point of their being here.

You don't want to scare them away or make them frustrated by tacking the additional objectives of moving away from the processed foods that they eat AND embracing a concept of "clean eating" (which isn't always well defined) on top of the concept of using a caloric defecit to lose weight to fulfil their personal goal.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'm one unhealthy happy person that's in for the drama...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I see people on my friends list losing weight and eating lot's of processed/fast food. I think eating healthy and losing weight can be two different things Eating clean is definitely good for you but I see people lose weight eating fast food and crap as well. I think basically we are talking about two different things. A deficit eating crap will allow you to lose weight but absolutely eating clean with lot's of fruits and vegetables is a healthier way to do it.

What about people who eat processed foods, fast food, and lots of fruits and veggies? There's a middle ground here that too many clean eaters ignore.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Double Post.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    *yawn

tumblr_inline_mijwfbrkQJ1rnvwt1.gif
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do agree with you to a certain extent, but for a lot of people, they just need to get started.

I know when I started out, I just restricted calories. That was it. And it worked for a while. But yeah, you get into it and realize that while that Big Mac is "only" 700 calories (or whatever it is), I'm freaking hungry again two hours later. So rather than spend 700 calories, I can spend 200 on some eggs and cheese, and I'll be satisfied for just as long, if not longer, and I'm getting so much more out of it.

People gotta figure this out on their own time. Some do, some won't.

This. This lady makes sense
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why so many people try MFP...fail....try again...fail...people will find anything they can to eat what they want and call it healthy...

Welcome the fruititarian to the discussion everyone! This should be good for a laugh or two as well as some feverish facepalming.
    Lol...you can read an awful lot into one sentence.... you should be quite impressed with yourself
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You shoudn't be sorry!

I just 'tried' to have this conversation with someone - you get out what you put in. Eat poorly, workout half *kitten*, lose no weight, feel bad, then give up! Eat better, kick a&& workouts, lose weight, feel great, keep going - increase your health outlook!

I admit, we all reach this point in our own time but don't knock it until you try it!

hmmm...what about the combo of eating "ok", having kick-*kitten* workouts, losing body fat, feeling great, continuing to succeed?

15rgvwk.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    *yawn

tumblr_inline_mijwfbrkQJ1rnvwt1.gif

LOL fave
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Unhappy, unhealthy, unfit person here checking in.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Oh? So my success at losing 60lbs is a lie (as well as the keeping it off for the most part for a few years) because I couldn't do it being restrictive but rather flexible? Not to mention me getting out of a few deficiencies I was facing because of the restrictiveness and my overall health improvement (especially my back issues)?

Oh. Okay.
    So you lost your weight eating twinkies and hohos? Probably not...and I never said restrictive... just saying all these people saying 1,000 calories of Big Macs is the same as 1,000 of fruit, vegetables and lean meats is just silly and misleading. But I'm not here to argue...lol...if people want to chow that crap and pretend they are healthy...have at it...no skin off my back

Those are two different arguments. 1000 calories of anything is 1000 calories. Now if you want to talk nutrition, that's a different subject.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmxloiapfq1s1k3jho1_500.gif

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

I'm a donut.

Mmmmmmm!

Agreed!! You are deliciousness wrapped in awesomeness!! I'd take a bite outta you even if you weren't healthy :blushing:

tumblr_inline_nbjdi0RZMV1s61ro0.gif

Back in for donuts!!

I may have a cookie after I eat my roast chicken and garden vegetable
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Unhappy, unhealthy, unfit person here checking in.

2ilixlj.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The ops diary is interesting. Obviously the definition of clean is rather broad. And includes processed deli turkey string cheese ........

And lots and lots of pickles.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You shoudn't be sorry!

15rgvwk.gif

meet me at the squat rack and lets find out.

715.gif