Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Marie, Thinking of you and wishing a good outcome for Jerry.

JoAnn, Belatedly, Happy Birthday, and I hope you are making a good recovery from your surgery.

To all those who shared their personal stories about missing relatives, my thoughts are with you. I don't have any hidden relatives. Guess if they are hiding, I wouldn't know, would I??? :ohwell: :wink:

Today is Pepper's 6th birthday. Not sure how we will celebrate. At the moment, he appears to be having a dream that involves barking. LOL. My options for celebration are limited, due to the following:

On 1/24, it was one year to the date since the fall and concussion that landed me in the ER. My accident happened on a Sunday evening, so THIS year, would you believe I had another one???

I was attacked by a killer can of spray whipped cream,:noway: which jumped out of my refrigerator and the bottom edge of the can made a direct hit on the big toe of my right foot.:mad: <-(this little critter is throbbing and red, much like my toe). I was barefoot at the time, and talk about HURT!!

I went to the doctor on Monday afternoon. Nothing was broken, but my entire toe is black and blue, and I have only found one pair of shoes that I can even consider wearing, unless I break out the sandals--not an option when the temperature is in the 40's (F) or below. It looks like I will probably lose the nail, so that is liable to make summer footwear a challenge if it takes a while to grow back.

Needless to say, even though we finally have some decent weather, my walking is not going to be starting up any time soon. Phooey!!

Barb
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Prayers for marie jerry and joann. Got to scoot
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Sorry I've been "gone" for so long. I've missed you guys. Since I got the new business in May I just haven't had the time to post. The business isn't that great - so that's a little scary.

I almost got back up to 130 after the holidays so i freaked out and got serious again - started actually "dieting", doing 1000 calories a day. I still have 7 more pounds to take off. ugh!

The grand daughters are AWESOME! Kodi Grace will be 2 weeks on Saturday. Leena (Katalina) will be 6 months beginning of Feb. i LOVE LOVE LOVE being a g-ma!!!!!

Marie - wishing good health and healing to Jerry!
    I didn't have time to read too many old posts but now I'll try and keep up with you guys.
    Gayla - how's Neil?
    Hi Sandy, I kind of keep up with you and Marie on fb a little bit!

Zumba sounds like so much fun! I may look for a class around here - i REALLY need to get back to hot yoga. It's a little scary after a long absense 'cause you KNOW what you're going to be doing :)

hugs!

elli
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful gift to hear from Elli. Its been a long long time. But so delighted to see you back.
    Gonna do a garden this year? We have a bunch of new people here. they are all just great! I know Sandy will be glad to see you.
    Those babies are so cute.Happy Grandma. I know you are thrilled. Be looking for more of you. More of your post that is .Marie

welcomebackhound-1.gif
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    :smile: I'm back! :smile: It turns out the paperwork was wrong and I wasn't supposed to have both knees done at the same time. Thank goodness the doctor knew best and only perfored the right knee because I sure don't know how anyone could have both knees at the same time. I am doing great. This is the first time I've been at a computer. I went to my first physical therapy last Tuesday (5 days after surgery) and at that time I was promoted from having to use a walker to using a cane. After I got home from therapy today, I tried walking down the hall with nothing and did great. So, ever since, I am getting around with no assistance--just very, very slowly!!

I can't thank all of you enough for the prayers, support, messages and Marie, your getwell card! Just wanted to check in. I missed so many posts that I haven't caught up on all of them yet. The Honda and Ice story was funny--especially since I am a Honda lover! Marie, I hope your husband recoups as fast as I am. Oh, and thank you for the birthday wishes too! Talk to you all later. JoAn
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    :smile: :smile: Hello everyone! :smile: :smile:
  • elli
    Options
    Marie - thank you so much for the wonderful welcome back! I'll try and get some baby pictures posted pretty soon. Being a grandma is awesome! I just talked to my dil who is mom of the 5 month old and she just started sitting up tonight! So exciting!!!!!!!!!!! Sending really good healing thoughts to Jerry.

elli
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Elli!! So good to hear from you. Glad you are enjoying those grandbabies.

JoAnn-Glad to hear you are on the mend. I am glad you enjoyed my "cool" story about the ice delivery!! LOL

My toe was much less bothersome today. I wasn't on my feet at all and I only wore soft slippers. Tomorrow I have to get into some shoes in order to attend a weekly meeting in my office.

Marie, I will be thinking of Jerry and you tomorrow.

Edit to add Hello Irene!! Hope all is well with you.

Good night, all

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We have been super busy and the computer is at the bottom of the priority list

:flowerforyou: Marie, we send warm wishes to Jerry for a speedy and successful recovery

:flowerforyou: JoAn, glad to hear that you are recovering and that it was only one knee this time

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday to Pepper....sorry to hear about your toe......will you be OK walking your dogs?

:flowerforyou: Elli, I am super happy to hear from you again......congrats on the new grandbabies...........now that you're back with MFP i know you'll get rid of those pesky pounds that sneaked up on you...........I hope you'll get back to hot yoga...I remember how much you liked it and how beneficial it was

:heart: :heart: hugs to everyone else.
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi Barbie,

The doggies are having to content themselves with hanging out inside, and using the doggie door as needed. I hope by Saturday that I can think about taking them out again--as long as the weatherman cooperates.
    Options
    Congrats Joann on making such great progress!
    Marie, we are thinking of you and Jerry, well your whole family.
    hi Elli, hope you are well.
    Tuesday, I restart Metabolism Miracle. Now that I took the time to read most of the book, I see that my frustrations with the almost no carbs phase was unfounded. After eight weeks, I will be able to begin adding good carbs in slowly,so I shouldnt be so discouraged as last time, when I began to miss my summer veggies(beans,peas, corn) and cornbread!
    plus, 30 pounds in two months was good progress for me. I noticed the puonds stayed off for quite a while. Now Ive gained 10 or so back.
    Have a great Friday, time to drive.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Jerry is in surgery now. He cannot talk until Tuesaday morning! That should be interesting. No results from biopsy until tues/wednesday. We will post an update later.
  • elli
    Options
    Hi Phoebe - 30 pounds in 2 months is killer! Definitely sounds like a plan that works for you - especially since you can add good carbs after 8 weeks. I have a hard time with NO carbs at all. I can eliminiate breads for awhile but never fruits and veggies! I'm just trying to keep under 1,000 calories a day right now with all healthy eating and light on breads. I've been doing it since beginning of Jan and have lost 8 pounds since then - it's just these last 6 that i know will be tough. We all have to just keep on keepin on!

Hi Barb - sorry about your toe! I'm sure the dogs will forgive you for a few days! At least they can go out the doggie door. My dogs are getting old (the big ones will be 13 this spring and the dox is 9) and aren't such great walking buddies anymore. Billy is deaf, and he turns around and goes home about 15 minutes in. Hercky (the doxie) wants to walk REALLY slow, and Bonnie keeps up with me but pants so hard i worry about her! I need to make our walks more about THEM and get my exercise at the gym!

Barbiecat - when i look at your weight loss history you are my inspiration! You have done SO amazing! I will get back to hot yoga - part of the problem is it's a half hour drive there and back so that adds an hour to the 90 minute class.......the older i get the LESS i like driving into town! I need to get over it though!

Zumba sounds like so much fun - i'm going to see if there's a class somewhere i can try.

Marie - thinking about you and Jerry. Hope on Tuesday he talks and his biopsy is good.

Have a great day all.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!!! So much to catch up on!!! :tongue:

:flowerforyou: Marie, prayers are with you, Jerry and your family. I hope the surgery goes well and the biopsy comes back with a clean bill of health. Resting his throat will be an issue, better stock up on paper and pencils. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Elli!!! So happy you are back!! I have seen the pictures of your grandchildren and they are just beautiful!! I knew you would love being a grandma, it is a wonderful miracle. :heart: :heart: I am still trying to shed those last 5 pounds, but it seems the more I do the more I gain. :laugh: :laugh: Just bought Leslie Sansone walking DVD, to change up my routine. Keep on track with me so we can get to that goal once and for all!!! :laugh:

:flowerforyou: JoAn I am so happy to hear you making such an amazing recovery. :heart: Also glad to hear you didn't have both knees done at the same time, that seems like it would be a hard recovery. :noway: Hope you got to do a little something fun for your birthday if only being with the one you love. :heart:

:flowerforyou: Phoebe good luck with the new plan, I hope it works great. :heart: Be careful on the road and try and keep in touch.
    You were right about it being a hard time to start in the trucking business, my son is having a hard time finding loads. :sad:

:flowerforyou: Barb, a little late but give Pepper a kiss for me (or have him kiss you) and tell him happy birthday.
    th_bday_kit.jpg

:flowerforyou: Barbie, you live a very busy life, but enjoy it to it's fullest. Don't ever get too busy for us please. :heart:

I went to bingo on Wednesday and won $65 so another good night. :bigsmile: Went to a productive meeting yesterday although no exercise yesterday. :sad: I am going to try my walking tapes today and hopefully with all these different exercises I can get rid of these last pounds once and for all. :explode:

Have a great Friday!!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Jerry is in surgery now. He cannot talk until Tuesaday morning! That should be interesting. No results from biopsy until tues/wednesday. We will post an update later.

Good thoughts going south.
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Caught up reading your posts this morning. There are so many of us now :love: that I get confused of who lives where and who does what. :ohwell: Anyway...I seldom post to you individually, but know that I follow your posts and know who you are when I am reading them. :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: I really enjoy this site. Love you all.

I went to Fred Meyer this morning and got my hour of walking in up and down the aisles. Picked up a microwave popcorn popper....Now I can control the amount of salt (I don't use any) and butter (none of that either).

Dieting is a real challenge for me. My cancer doctor says "You need your nutrition, so don't cut down too much." and recommends 1500 calories. (I can't lose on that.) My primary says, "Looks like you've put on a couple of pounds this time." And I say "Yup!" My diabetes doctor says "Let's try to get that A1c down under 7.0, so watch those carbs." You get the idea....It gets very confusing to try to cover all the bases at once. Tracking on here really does help. How did I get along without MFP!

My sweet Ralph is still getting used to his new teeth. It has been a couple of weeks, and he is still on soft foods. I feel so sorry for him. It's hard to find anything he can eat. I tell him it won't last forever.

Please have a good day. God Bless.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hello JoAn so glad you are doing so good. But don/t overdo it.

We got Jerry home and he is resting good.
    He has done pretty good about not talking. I don't know how he will last till Tues. I am glad the super bowl is not this weekend. The doctor did not know if they could restore his voice, We will just have to wait and see. He goes back to the doctor next Thurs.

Phoebe. I need to get my book out too. and reread it. But gosh I got tired of those old flour tortilla for 5 net carbs. I wanted more.Since I am not during any cooking now. don't know how I will mangage it. I been eating a lot ofTv dinners. Some of them are pretty tasty. tho.I think.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all. No surprise, I am watching tennis. Big surprise, I took the plunge and started back to Weight Watchers last night. The program is different enough that I will have to really pay attention which is a good thing.

We were hoping to make a trip South in Feb. But Neil's surgery is scheduled for the 14th so traveling will be put on hold until he recovers. A good recovery is more important.

Marie -- hoping that all goes well with the surgery today. Lots of good thoughts and prayers going your way.

Elli -- so great to have you back! Your grand babies are both so lovely.

Sandy -- way to go with your bingo win!!

Barb-- sorry about your injury. That is a very big ouch.

Jo-an -- fantastic recovery! Keep it up, girl.

I know there were other things I wanted to say but they escape me at the moment. Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share with everyone a project in which I am involved.

Each year, death certificates that are 50 years old become public record in Missouri. This year, some 50,000 death certificates were scanned and the images loaded into a database. To make them "searchable" some information on each certificate has to be transcribed and entered as text into the same database. The county where death took place, date of death, and name has to be entered by hand.

There are a couple of hundred of us who are tackling this job. In two days I've transcribed almost 800 certificates. It is hard to just go through them and pull out the information needed and not peek further, especially when the person is less than 50 years old. I am shocked to see how many people, men and women, in their 30s and 40s died of hardening of the arteries, heart failure, or heart attack. I hope that the 50 years since 1960 have brought us a better understanding of what being healthy means but I'm afraid it has not. We are heavier than we have ever been and our children are following in our footsteps.

It's a real eye opener.
    Options
    You are right about that Connie, and it is harder to resist convenience foods loaded with too much of everything. Marie, i love smart ones 'tuna noodle gratin'. I steam some veggies and pour it iver them yum