Senior Golden Sneakers - January 2011

Options

Replies

• LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share with everyone a project in which I am involved.

Each year, death certificates that are 50 years old become public record in Missouri. This year, some 50,000 death certificates were scanned and the images loaded into a database. To make them "searchable" some information on each certificate has to be transcribed and entered as text into the same database. The county where death took place, date of death, and name has to be entered by hand.

There are a couple of hundred of us who are tackling this job. In two days I've transcribed almost 800 certificates. It is hard to just go through them and pull out the information needed and not peek further, especially when the person is less than 50 years old. I am shocked to see how many people, men and women, in their 30s and 40s died of hardening of the arteries, heart failure, or heart attack. I hope that the 50 years since 1960 have brought us a better understanding of what being healthy means but I'm afraid it has not. We are heavier than we have ever been and our children are following in our footsteps.

It's a real eye opener.
    Hopefully, we will all learn something from this information. Thanks for sharing!
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    funny.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Love it Maddie!!!!
  • bushman124
    bushman124 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all! I am amazed that every single day I feel better than the day before. I still depend on the pain pills though and my appetite hasn't returned. (that doesn't bother me too much!) I really need groceries so we will be going tomorrow to get some food in the house. I ventured out tonight to go to the new Aston Kutcher movie "No strings Attached", it was real cute.

Marie, I eat Lean Cuisine's and think they are pretty good. My favorites are spaghetti with meatsauce, glazed chicken, chicken in peanut sauce and a new one my daughter said was good was the chicken, mushroom, spinach panni. The tuna one that was mentioned sounds good too so I will have to try that one. Marie, just want you to know that my prayers are with your hubby. Have a pleasant evening my friends. JoAn
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi gang! it's good to be back. I have to remember how to do this now - i forget how to go back to see what everyone has said so i can respond!

Hi Sandy! Let me know if the new walking thing gets you going again. I keep thinking about zumba - i have to find out if there's a class aruond.

Glad you have Jerry home Marie!

Where's Jeffrey?

Hi JoAnn - glad you're healing!

Connie - if my own 2 sons are any indication i think our kids ARE learning from us! They're both pretty health concious - tend to not eat fast food and stay active. That's pretty interesting stuff.

I posted some new pictures - Marie, I DID have a garden last summer. It was such a relief to have it back after the "year of the house"!

Tomorrow I'm fixing brunch for Dakota and his wife - both their birthdays are in the next week. it will be Kodi Graces 2 week birthday and her first trip to Grandmas! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: I'll be going off my diet a little bit - but i won't go crazy. Glad I have you guys to be accountable to again!

Everyone have a great weekend - talk to you soon!

:heart: elli
  • Sandydur
    Options
    JoAn, I am so happy you are getting around so well, it sure is encouraging for any of us who might need a new knee in the future.:love:

Marie, just take good care of Jerry, remember all those times he took care of you? :heart:

Elli, those grand babies couldn't be any cuter!! Your house looks amazing!! You can cheat a little but don't overdo and get right back on track come Monday!! I did love the walking DVD and really had a good 3 mile workout!! :blushing:

Connie, my boys and daughter are like Elli's, they watch what they eat and exercise. However my step son and his wife eat whatever they feel like eating and eat lots of dessert, unfortunately they do the same with their 5 year old daughter who is over weight. :grumble:
    This poor thing is wearing size 10 and 12 clothes to conceal her tummy. She is more than beautiful, but I worry about her getting teased at school or worse. The parents don't listen to reason and have every excuse such as her being malnourished when they adopted her. When she cries they reward her with sweets, it is very frustrating for my husband and I to watch. :angry:

Have a good evening, will talk in the morning.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: after too many years of extravagant living we've made the decision that we will probably have to sell our house and move to something less expensive now that our expenses for health care and medical insurance will be going sky high.......so we've been busy packing and exploring our options......in the middle of the mess I'm trying to do the income tax......so being at the computer has taken a back seat.....I still track food and exercise, go to dance class and the dog park but life has gotten very busy.

:drinker: :drinker: best wishes to Jerry and JoAn for speedy recoveries

:flowerforyou: Elli, I understand about not wanting to drive a long way to exercise .....that's why I do so much of my exercise at home.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Gosh Barbie, that sounds kind of sad. :sad: Do you plan on staying in the same area and around the dog park? Do you have a big home now? I wish you all the luck in the world on your new adventure and know that you and Jake will always manage and stay happy with how much you love each other.:heart::heart: Just post now and then just to let us know things are going well or at least on the home page. Love you kiddo!!! :heart:

Marie, hope Jerry is doing better today and keeping quiet. :tongue: Is he is in any pain? I know you are a wonderful wife and taking excellent care of him. I bet Sammy is also glued to him wondering what is going on with pop. :laugh:

JoAn, you are remarkable going to a movie with just having surgery, good for you!!! :bigsmile: You must be on some pretty good pain pills with all that you are doing. :laugh: Just don't over do please. :heart:

Gayla, I can't remember which surgery Neil is having in February, is this for his foot? Did he miss you?? I am glad you had a wonderful time and hope you get to do it again soon. We missed you and glad you are back. :heart:

Elli, have fun with the family today and check in with us tomorrow. Let us get rid of these pesty pounds together. :drinker: :drinker:

A lot of us post on the home page if you are too busy to write on this post, it is a good way of checking in and seeing how everyone is doing with their diet and exercise.

Keep on exercising, drink water and start recording those lost pounds.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! We had some melting weather for a few days and our driveway is now like a skating rink! I hope nobody falls on it. Day 2 of WW is going well. We had some nice lettuce wraps for lunch and to my surprise Dave really enjoyed them. I used a little leftover pork tenderloin in them and the rest was just vegetables. I didn't put a sauce on them but they were very tasty anyway. I didn't have as much success with the lettuce as they do in the Chinese restaurant. I don't know how they get the lettuce so crispy but still able to roll it. Not to worry, it was good anyway.

Marie -- Thinking about you and Jerry today and hoping it is a good day. Is he on a restricted diet?

Sandy -- Neil's surgery is for his toe. It is an outpatient surgery and I haven't decided if that is good or not good. :wink: I am hoping for quick healing! I think he did miss me and missed coming home for the weekend. Our house is so torn apart that Dave chose not to bring him home last weekend even though he called and asked to come home. Dave finds it frustrating to try to hear him, his hearing loss makes it more difficult. This weekend Neil asked to come home yesterday so he will be home for two nights. I have tried to keep it to one but he is talking about going 'home' so I guess things are going well there.

Barbie -- I hope you are able to find something that you will be happy in. I am sure it is stressful making that change.

Jo-An -- Way to go, getting out in the real world so soon!!

Take care everyone and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Sandy - thanks for keeping me accountable! I did well today - i ate food that's not really on my "plan" but i definitely didn't overdue. 1 more thing to get through tomorrow then monday back to skimpy. I had a really good workout today too. Glad you like the walking tape!

Barbie - it sounds stressful.....having to look for a new place and everything else going on. Check in when you can! I keep thinking about setting my basement up as a work out space, but i really like the class thing - and the hot yoga - there's just nothing like that........

Hi everyone! hope you're all having a fabulous weekend!

elli
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    My goodness, so much has happened since I last tried reading all your posts! I'll try to get the main things down before my eyes can't read the rest!

MARIE, Like everyone else, I know Jerry is lucky to have such a caring love waiting on him, and you don't mention it, or I missed it, but I sure hope the results are positive and he will feel better very soon! :love:

JoAn, wow! the knee is done, and you are going out already! What an example you set for cowards like me! :flowerforyou:

BARBIECAT; that downsizing move was such a hard decision we made, 17 years ago! But it turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made! Unbelievable what we had gathered and seldom used, and I'd like to get the courage to do it again, and perhaps move to one of those Continuing Care Communities where one is assured of lifetime care, should we ever require it! We'd start out in Independent Living, which is not too different from house we now have. But knowing someone is right there in case of an emergency is becoming increasingly important. My dear hubby is turning 87 2/4 and though he seems 30 years younger, we hear about people younger than he every day, and it's a bit scary, since our closest kid is 850 miles away! We have friends who recently movede from Florida to Pt Townsend, where they are renting in a lovely community without the heaqache of ownership, and they have a son nearby. They are so happy to be there in such a lovely location. Your sunny attitude will work for you wherever you move! :wink:

CONNIE, what an unusual area of volunteering you ae doing! I never even heard of such a thing! One more amazing facet of CS!!! :flowerforyou:

BARB: double ouch! :cry: Next summer, use polish to paint a fake nail until it grows back! Mine looked great!

GAYLA, I'm sorry about Neil's surgery coming at the time of your planned trip.. I'll have to try reading posts back to your explanation :ohwell: Hope you can make it up soon!

Sorry, the eyes are going; back as soon as I can read, as I want to say hi to each one of my lovely friends at Golden Sneakers!

Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    IRENE: I wanted to say hello again, and with everything you have on your plate, you are amazingly good-spirited. What a splendid example you set for us, with your positive attitude!
    Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hello Buzz, So great hearing from you. Love hearing from you.

We wont know the outcome of jerry surgery untill sometime this week. But he is doing great. and it sure is peaceful without him talking. . Tuesday morning he can try talking again. I am going to try to post my Apple Quilt i made a few years back/

100_0917.jpg
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    Hello Everyone. It is a beautiful day here today. That is if you are inside looking out. Outside is pretty cold, but the sun :glasses: is so nice.

Marie...another beautiful quilt. I especially like the block with the bite out of the apple. You are so creative. One of these days I'll upload a quilt photo so I can post it here. My quilts are all pieced..I've never tried the applique patterns. My machine doesn't do applique, so it would have to be by hand. I'm not that adventurous. My favorite quilt to make is Log Cabin and all its variations. The most complicated I've made was Bargello.

Buzz. Thank you. But I really can't take any credit for strength or attitude. I am just blessed that I can depend on God for those things. I have so much to be thankful for: husband, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren who all love me and tell me I am the best. An adequate income, a little house I can come home to, food to eat, good doctors, good friends nearby and on facebook and MFP. :heart: :heart: :heart: With all that, how could I not be happy and feel blessed?

I found a video on ytube on how crayons are made and watched it with Mariah (great granddaughter 5). She was so impressed she had me sharpen her crayons and has been coloring ever since. She said, "Granny you do a lot of stuff with me." And I said, "That's because it isn't easy being the best. I have to try harder." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My poor Ralph...and his new teeth. Yesterday he had some crackers in his soup. He said it was like having a steak. :bigsmile: I think he is on his way to better times now.:drinker:

All of you on this thread....Have a really good day. YOU ARE THE BEST!
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Happy Sunday! Hope you are all feeling fine. We are in sunny Florida for the weekend. We begin loading in the morning for a trip to California. Tuesday, Feb 1 is my official start of the Met Miracle program, so I am having a bit of a binge right now. Lol! Any excuse works for me! It is so nice today and yesterday too. About 72 degrees, sunshine! And a walmart nearby! Wheeee! Got about a half mile round trip in going to and from wm. Plus, a little weight bearing toting groceries walking back to the truck!
    Marie, you are so funny re: its. Quiet. Without Jerry talking! He may pay you back for that on Tuesday! Lol!
    Its. Good to have time to read your posts. We are watching a movie Jim bought 'Red'. I am sorta watching it, lots of blow up shoot em up, not my style. Be safe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Irene, You do lovely work too. I have made a log cabin. But didn't keep them. I used to make quilts and sell them in a booth I had in a Mall. I love going to antinque malls and fine blocks and quilt them.I still have some blocks to work up and get quilted. If I ever get around to it. But I think my quilting days are about over with.The eyes and mind slowly fading. I hardly ever went by a Pattern Just do what came to mind. I have gobs of quilting books to get my ideals.

I am still enjoying the peace and quite around here Phoebe. What do you eat on the MM diet? Diane the arthur of the book told me I should not be on it with my bad kidneys. Too much meat.
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone!!!

We got back a few weeks back, I haven't been able to retire yet, the couple the purchased the Company needs help so my partner and I are staying until the end of the month:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: I couldn't get back posting so Marie came to my aid, thank you Marie you're the best:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Cancun was fabulous, we did sightseeing and lots of walk on the beach, :glasses: :glasses: the beaches are back to normal and its just beautiful, the weather was great high 70's we had only one bad day :sad: :sad: so that day we went to El Centro shopping, the grandkids loved it, was like nothing they have been seeing before and all the people were very friendly. Everyone got along great:love::love: They surprised us with a Special Book, written by their own words even the grandchildren, all about when they were growing up in our home, our grandchildren prospective of us and our son in law, they called it "A Toast to You Both" was the best gift ever, tears were everwhere but they were tears of joy and memories, Mike & I were surprise of all the pages in the book, was fantastic. The family picture turn out greta I will be sharing with everyone soon.

I'm so happy to be back with all of you, I missed you all very much.:cry::cry: :cry:

JoAnn - good news about only one knee and your progress, so glad you're doing so well:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie - readed some of the post on Jerry, so happy he is doing ok, our prayers are with both of you, again thanks for help, you're the best.

Irene - good job walking & keeping up with everything:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gayla - so glad you had a great vacation, now back to ww, good luck, keep up the good work, I know you can get back on track

Barb - sorry to hear about your enjury sounds like it's so painful, take care:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Sandy - Way to go winning at Bingo, I think Bingo is your game:happy: :happy: :happy:

Barbie - hope you are able to find something smaller and that you & Jake will be happy, please keep us posted with the progress, God Bless you both.:love::love: :love:

So happy to be able to be here again:heart::heart: :heart:

Gigi
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    LotsofPicturesOld001.jpg

:mad: :grumble: :explode:

Yes, Marie....the quilts I had the most fun with were the ones I made up as I went along. I sold them as fast as I made them when I lived in Alaska, but I don't have a market now...besides I'm not as ambitious as I was. I tried selling on Ebay, but it was too much hassle.

One customer wanted "the craziest quilt you can make." I tried to post a picture, but it didn't work.

I'm doing better with my health issues, especially making sure I get in the exercise. I moved my exercise bike facing the TV. Not too convenient for the living room, but much more convenient to use. Before, I had to move it away from the wall to use it, and sometimes I just didn't WANT to! The other thing I am working on is the blood sugars. And BOY am I HUNGRY!

God Bless!
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    LotsofPicturesOld001.jpg

:mad: :grumble: :explode:
    That makes me so mad when that happens!!!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Just popping in to say "Hi".

Just wanted to let everyone know. One one of my MFP friends has lost 174+ pounds. She will be on Rachael Ray's show tomorrow. Monday 31st.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Take care,