*Snowflakes to Sunshine Challenge* : Discussion Week #1

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Each week I will post a thread, with this same title. Only thing that will be different is the week number, and I may start abbreviating the Snowflakes to Sunshine to S2S! :) It is designed to be a space for us to chat, give advice, motivate, and vent.

Ok! So two days in...how does everyone feel? Anyone find things that are working for them...or not working for them? Do you feel a lot of pressure knowing we have so many people in the challenge, or is a more of a motivation?

Let's have an awesome first week, and show that scale and tape measure who is boss on Friday! lol

Replies

• Shannonk507
    Shannonk507 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Still too late to join? What are the rules/guidelines? Thanks!
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 rest day a week and i've noticed that i tend to eat crap on that rest day. So new plan is to do something on rest day. be it yoga or just going on a slow walk. I need the workout so my mind doesn't say ooooo is she slipping lets it the world lol.
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My biggest issues so far is that I'm sore! But I think that's a good thing! I'm struggling with the scale a little- not sure why... I keep within my calories... I think it has to do with water retention and the intro of exercise. I actually like the idea of so many people participating... I'm a really competitive person so it will definitely keep me focused and on track. Hoping for a very productive and successful week! Thanks again Krys! Good luck all!!!
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am more motivated so far!! My calories are under but I am constantly trying to keep my sodium low, 1500 mg would be great a day per my doctor since I recently got put on blood pressure meds, but I am finding that impossible, 2500 mg is hard too, so I continue to work on this!! I am trying to drink more water than 64oz a day too, I heard you are suppose to drink half your weight in oz. from somewhere BUT that means I have to drink 132oz a day, idk if I can do that but I am trying.... Have a good day everyone, it is one day at a time!!
  • helengator1
    Options
    I only have 1 rest day a week and i've noticed that i tend to eat crap on that rest day. So new plan is to do something on rest day. be it yoga or just going on a slow walk. I need the workout so my mind doesn't say ooooo is she slipping lets it the world lol.

Try Hatha yoga! It is like a massage from the inside out...while getting in a nice stretch and slight calorie burn. It is gentle and detoxes your organs and gets all that 'chi' flowing through your body, mind, and spirit. Canyou tell I'm addicted, lol :) enjoy!!
  • helengator1
    Options
    :laugh: I am grateful for all the participants and am excited to be motivated by all of OUR success. I also like the friendly competition and accountability! :)
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Try Hatha yoga! It is like a massage from the inside out...while getting in a nice stretch and slight calorie burn. It is gentle and detoxes your organs and gets all that 'chi' flowing through your body, mind, and spirit. Canyou tell I'm addicted, lol :) enjoy!!

WIll be looking that up today THANKS!!!
  • christydufrene78
    Options
    Hi, everyone is it too late to join in? Would love to participate!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My biggest issues so far is that I'm sore! But I think that's a good thing! I'm struggling with the scale a little- not sure why... I keep within my calories... I think it has to do with water retention and the intro of exercise. I actually like the idea of so many people participating... I'm a really competitive person so it will definitely keep me focused and on track. Hoping for a very productive and successful week! Thanks again Krys! Good luck all!!!

When your muscles are sore, you will retain more water. Has something to do with the inflamation process. Give it time and the numbers will start to go down.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I am more motivated so far!! My calories are under but I am constantly trying to keep my sodium low, 1500 mg would be great a day per my doctor since I recently got put on blood pressure meds, but I am finding that impossible, 2500 mg is hard too, so I continue to work on this!! I am trying to drink more water than 64oz a day too, I heard you are suppose to drink half your weight in oz. from somewhere BUT that means I have to drink 132oz a day, idk if I can do that but I am trying.... Have a good day everyone, it is one day at a time!!
    '

The water thing is such a joke. The original 8 glasses a day was just a number thrown out by some counsel with NO science behind it. Current studies show that our bodies can regulate our fluid intake just fine if we first get back in balance. You have to get properly hydrated, so for a couple of weeks you drink whenever you are thirsty, or hungry, as well as not going more than a couple of hours without sipping water. Because we are out of balance our thirst signals get messed up and we interpret them as hunger, or tired, so if we over-hydrate for a couple of weeks, our bodies will start sending the right signals, and then we can listen to our bodies instead of formulas.
    The amount you need will vary wildly by your activity and environment, so get balanced and then listen to your body. Best wishes!

Joan RN, MSN
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    Options
    I am excited by the the turnout of participants and I think it makes it more fun (although a lot more work for Krystal).. My issue is also being sore. I somehow pulled a muscle in my shoulder blade and its running pain there, through my shoulder and into my neck. I'm thinking it was when my husband and I were having a Wii boxing competition lol. Anywho, I'm icing it today and doing other exercises to not irritate it and hopefully it will be back to normal tomorrow.

Hope that everyone is having a fantastic week!
  • kizzy_muss
    kizzy_muss Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i heard though that if u drink water when u feel ur thirsty or hungry ur dehydrated and that we shouldn't let ourselves get like that

WEIGHT: 177

Exercise goals this week:

JAN 1 -Sat-JILLIAN MICHAELS CARDIO KICKBOX AND WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS

JAN 2 -Sun-JILLIAN MICHAELS VIDEO FORGOT THE NAME, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEP, GEORGE WALK N BOX

JAN 3 -Mon-JILLIAN MICHAELS CARDIO KICKBOX, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS, @ JMS VIDEO (FORGOT THE NAME)

JAN 4 -Tues-JILLIAN MICHAELS VIDEO FORGOT THE NAME, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS, @ GEORGE WALK N BOX

JAN 5 -Wed-JILLIAN MICHAELS CARDIO KICKBOX, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS

JAN 6 -Thurs-JILLIAN MICHAELS VIDEO FORGOT THE NAME, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS, JACKIE WARNER WORKOUT

JAN 7 -Fri-JILLIAN MICHAELS CARDIO KICKBOX, WALK @ LEAST 5000 STEPS, GEORGE FOREMAN WALK N BOX

Nutritional goals this week:

-NO FRENCH FRIES

-NO MUSHROOM N SWISS BURGER/SNACK WRAP

-Log all food every day.

-Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday.

-Stay between 1200 - 1500 calories everyday

-BEVERAGE OF CHOICE: ONLY WATER AND GREEN TEA

I haven't done any of these since i been out of town visiting my aunt since dec 31st...so i will be marathoning it til i get caught up to today's workouts. I also need to plug in my bodybugg when i get home and upload the info there to see how many more steps i need to walk to catch up to 15,000 steps. Like I said I want to do @ least 5000 steps a day and I'm pretty sure I haven't done all 5000 steps a day...but i do know that i've walked @ least some
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly motivated by the people the people in this challenge. I even mentioned MFP and S2S challenge to my mom and sister, who I hope will join me in some way shape or form in an effort towards a healthy weight. The challenge for me so far, is to stay off the scale. A few years ago, the scale would dictate whether I was having a good day or a bad day and apparently I had many bad days because I've regained a lot of lost weight in the last 18 months but I was still weighing myself daily.

I am getting my mind and body yo to understand that I am NOT on a diet! If I am NOT on a diet, then that's just another reason to stay off the doggone scale everyday. I am on a path towards balanced eating of unprocessed foods and regular exercise with S2S challenge as a friendly motivator along the way. I am so incredibly excited and happy to have found MFP and this challenge group right at the right time.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling good this week! I tried on my size 12 (doesn't my butt look awesome in these jeans) jeans and I got them zipped and buttoned! They definitely don't fit yet, but I'm on my way! I'm hoping to be wearing them comfortably by my 25th birthday on March 1st!

I'm also excited to get under 200 in the next 3 weeks or so!! :smile:
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    It's great to know that I'm not alone and the support is fantastic. Did my treadmill with 1.0 incline for 40mins. Also did my bowflex extreme for 30 mins. Feels great. I read this morning that before you can physically lose weight or continue with an exercise regime you need to change your mind set on exercise and diet. You have to want to do the exercise and fuel your body for the energy. I've heard this before but for some reason this morning it really clicked. The famous quote" When the puple is ready the teacher will appear" really holds true. Well hope you all have a great day and let the scales show our progress.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    I am very excited that we have this many people in our challenge. I think it is great to have support from all these amazing people.

As to how I am doing 2 days in ... well I am up 1.4lbs from New Years food and drinking. I know I will flush that out by Friday. It's only motivation for me to work out harder this week. I think I am going to add some crunches in. Anyone have any good yoga or stretching videos? I would like to add some yoga or stretching into my routine.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I didn't do so well the last 2 days. I had a family get together for NY day and binged a bit on snacks and soda. Yesterday I couldn't resist the fried fish because well, it's just so much cheaper than the healthy stuff. But today is a new day. I have my meals planned out for today and I'm going to try to get in my first day of exercise for the week.

Here's to a great week everyone!!
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did not start yet! I had a few others invites for a brunch, a fish fry and one other meal so it was hard to work out and eat right since I wasn't at home but Today is the day! I will have my three meals and snacks all day... Last night I was hungry at midnight...:huh: I can't remember the time I felt like that since I started at the end of September to eat my three meals and my snacks!!!

I don't feel good at all this morning... I don't know if it's all that bad eating during the holidays(high sodium) but I'm all swollen on my feet and ankles and my body hurt all over! I guess I will start slowly today and this will change gradually.

I will be starting on my clothing rack... oups treadmill:laugh: this morning since the streets are too icy. I will also try to play on the kinect.

I'm glad we are such a big group. It will help to stay focus and succeed.

@kizzy_muss I like your idea of 5000 steps a day. I will try that idea this might help me.

Thanks Krys for doing this for us!:flowerforyou:
  • mbrownks77
    Options
    Good monday morning all! I did not have a good last 2 days. everyone home for the weekend and too many get togethers. I will start my day by cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Back to work tomorrow and really hope to get back into my routine!!!! Hope everyone kicks but this week!:flowerforyou:
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    The challenge for me so far, is to stay off the scale. A few years ago, the scale would dictate whether I was having a good day or a bad day
    I am getting my mind and body to understand that I am NOT on a diet! If I am NOT on a diet, then that's just another reason to stay off the doggone scale everyday.

I hear you on this! I am obsessed with the scale. I usually get on it EVERY morning. Sometimes I am not affected by what is says because I know it is just a gauge of where I am, but sometimes it really messes with my head. So I am trying to only weigh once, maybe twice, a week.