Phrases or sayings that really irk me!!!!

Options

Replies

• SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    when guys say "no homo" grrr I hate that.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    How about when you call somewhere and they say "can I put you on hold" like what am I going to say... no?

When I get paged to a facility and I call back and ask for a nurse, the first thing they ask is "can I put you on hold" cant they just say, hold on one minute?
  • ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A new comeback for dad after his "this too shall pass" is "and now would be good!"
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    A new comeback for dad after his "this too shall pass" is "and now would be good!"

Love this one!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of hearing certain people complain about their jobs constantly. You're employed, that's a good thing. If you don't like your job, go get you another. Realizing there aren't many out there these days, if you can't find another job, just suck it up and shut up, or quit. But don't come crying to me if you quit before you find another one. I'm sure some people are irked by this response, but be thankful for what you have!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This has been an amazing thread. It really brought tears to my eyes.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    My coworker said she inherited her mom's batwings. I wanted to say impossible, you're just freaking lazy. Hear this type of mess weekly.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    If we sat here and compared notes we would come up with even some things you probably say that get under someone else's skin, in cases like that what I do is just not give it life by internalizing it. What it will do is manifest during a time when you are at your strongest struggle when all someone was trying to do probably was be a support. People are not perfect and even more they are not inside you, but we all come to this place for support of some type. I would just be irked and move on. People mean well. Trust me I could write a book on all the pet peeves I have. I have alot, but I choose to attract positive to me so I am learning to give people a break and know someone is always going to do something to irk me and upset a pet peeve I have but oh well.....it's their right of existence. I tend to get bothered by my pet peeves when i'm in a bad mood. Like when my hormones are super high. lol I bet someone is going to be irked by my very post. Anyways best of luck in your adventures......we're all in these trenches together. hugs.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I'm getting tired of hearing certain people complain about their jobs constantly. You're employed, that's a good thing. If you don't like your job, go get you another. Realizing there aren't many out there these days, if you can't find another job, just suck it up and shut up, or quit. But don't come crying to me if you quit before you find another one. I'm sure some people are irked by this response, but be thankful for what you have!

GREAT POINT!
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    "Basically"

Unnecessary adverb.

a guy in my european history class last semester said "basically" SEVENTY-TWO TIMES in a 10 minute presentation!!
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Most improper use of the English Language annoys me! I hate the shortcuts the kids and some adults use to text and post on their messages. It makes them look illiterate.

I've been a military spouse for the last 17-1/2 years so have moved around a lot so it annoyed the crap out of me when people would say I had an accent. My response to them was always the same... "No, I speak the way Mr. Webster intended for us to speak"...
  • pauldbarnhart
    Options
    Speaking of abuse of the English language, how about abuse of the lonely little apostrophe? Do they not teach grammar and punctuation in school anymore?

The rules for use of an apostrophe are pretty simple, so why do so many people insist on inserting an apostrophe in front of the "s" when they are writing the plural form of a word?

Examples:

Joes Radiator Shop: A great place to take your leak's

Let Freds Electric Company remove your short's

Bar none, Tommys saloon is mile's better than other's.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Speaking of abuse of the English language, how about abuse of the lonely little apostrophe? Do they not teach grammar and punctuation in school anymore?

The rules for use of an apostrophe are pretty simple, so why do so many people insist on inserting an apostrophe in front of the "s" when they are writing the plural form of a word?

Examples:

Joes Radiator Shop: A great place to take your leak's

Let Freds Electric Company remove your short's

Bar none, Tommys saloon is mile's better than other's.

I hear you on this one!! I'm amazed at signmakers that get this one wrong!! Or misspell words on a sign. There is a sign in Orlando on the side of a business that repairs/sells lawn maintenance equipment and they spelled it, "Equiptment." The sign was made out of extruded plastic so you would think they would have consulted a dictionary for the proper spelling. There was no "fixing" it only scrapping it and doing it over.
  • pauldbarnhart
    Options
    Yup...those signmakers that work cheap do so for a reason.

There was a little fruit stand near us with a sign out front that read "Proudce" on one side, and Prdouce" on the other. Go figure.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Most improper use of the English Language annoys me! I hate the shortcuts the kids and some adults use to text and post on their messages. It makes them look illiterate.

I've been a military spouse for the last 17-1/2 years so have moved around a lot so it annoyed the crap out of me when people would say I had an accent. My response to them was always the same... "No, I speak the way Mr. Webster intended for us to speak"...

Ugh! I agree. I hear so many people say "Where's it at?", "Where you at?" How about saying "where is it?" Isn't that sufficient? The preposition does not belong at the end of the sentence!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to hear people reply and say "Well, at least you have a job" when I'm venting about how irritating work can be.
    Since the economy went into the crapper, people say this to me all the time (I guess I complain a lot about work, lol). It drives me insane.
    Yes!!! Just because I have a job and you don't doesn't mean that I shouldn't let anything bother me!
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    "Cold enough for ya?"

That one KILLS me.

oh and "muscle weighs more than fat"...not exactly, muscle is more dense for sure but standard weight measurements remain the same...:smile:
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh and "Ginormous" I HATE THAT!

Fun post!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes!! I left my last job a few months ago because the management there was awful! I found myself always complaining about something. I finally hunkered down and found a new position (which I love and it makes me really happy!). Now, I have a couple of former coworkers who like to email me to complain about the things going on at the old job. Well, gee, I left there to get away from all those things (that have been going on for years and aren't going to change) so why do I want you guys to give me a blow-by-blow of it??
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    "it is what it is"
    "I know, right?" do you? do you know right? do you know wrong? lol
    "just sayin"
    "like" between every word
    many many more

I hate "I know, right" more than any of them lol, grrrr !