Phrases or sayings that really irk me!!!!

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You know what gets me hot under the collar? What REALLY gets on my wick. No, no, not the random use of idioms and capitalising entire words so that YOU CAN STRESS YOUR POINT.

It's the frickin' word "irk" What's an irk when it's at home exactly? Is it like some kind of distant relation of an elf? Does an irk help Santa makes presents at Christmas? Maybe irks hang out with elves on a Friday night and hang out in "Dungeons & Dragons" bars so they can go and pick up trolls.

Irk indeed. You irkers really irk me.

Don't get me started on people who put things in "quotation marks".

And use ellipsis & aposiopesis...excessively...whilst pretending to be smart....
  • bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    My ex used to asked me, "Are you really going to eat that? I'll teach you how to eat healthy!" Right. Because he belonged on the cover of Playgirl with his beer belly.

There is a reason why he is an ex!!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It's the frickin' word "irk" What's an irk when it's at home exactly? Is it like some kind of distant relation of an elf? Does an irk help Santa makes presents at Christmas? Maybe irks hang out with elves on a Friday night and hang out in "Dungeons & Dragons" bars so they can go and pick up trolls.

? It's just a word. A real one. To irritate or annoy. I'm confused by this one. :-/
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

? It's just a word. A real one. To irritate or annoy. I'm confused by this one. :-/

I know. I was just messing around. It was a play on the word irk and being irked.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying when people don't ask the right question like: "Do you have a restroom?" Duh!!!! Of course!! Shouldn't you be asking where the restroom is?

I also dislike when people make a statement in the form of a question and when you're trying to figure out it they are asking you or telling you and how you should respond they look at you as if you're the one that is stupid.
  • pauldbarnhart
    pauldbarnhart Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    You know what gets me hot under the collar? What REALLY gets on my wick. No, no, not the random use of idioms and capitalising entire words so that YOU CAN STRESS YOUR POINT.

Don't get me started on people who put things in "quotation marks".

And use ellipsis & aposiopesis...excessively...whilst pretending to be smart....

I thought an irk was a neutered ork.
  • cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all six pages, but I'd like to add
    'unthawed' (you can't unthaw something, that would be freezing it again)

or
    'you're so skinny you must be anorexic" :explode:

or

'take AN easy' an easy? really? is that some kind of pill? my husband says this and it drives me i-n-s-a-n-e!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    "Oh, you haven't gained five pounds. It's probably just muscle!"

Makes my eye twitch every time.

Also, "I want to loose weight" (the spelling grates on me).
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

I know. I was just messing around. It was a play on the word irk and being irked.

Gotcha!! :)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I blame 'How I Met Your Mother' for 'epic'.

I used 'Legendary' a lot. ;)
    Buzz words and sayings, such as "epic", "think outside the box", "viral" and one of my new hated sayings, "FML" (if you guys don't know it is f*** my life) UGH!!!!! Oh and anytime "twitter" and "facebook" are used as verbs it really irks the crap outta me.

I totally agree!!!! My son uses epic all the time....and uber (all this word mean is over in German) so uber exciting = over excting...are things really over exciting?

and FML....do I really want the peoel my son is friends with to be this pesimistic. Too many FML's and I begin worring about people mental state.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to hear people reply and say "Well, at least you have a job" when I'm venting about how irritating work can be.
    Since the economy went into the crapper, people say this to me all the time (I guess I complain a lot about work, lol). It drives me insane.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Great thread.

1) Take it to the next level.
    2) He/She is in a better place.
    3) Do what you gotta do.
    4) I am not fat I am big boned.

Amen!
    #2 bugs the crap out of me. My mom passed away Thanksgiving morning 2009. I KNOW people meant well when they said "She's in a better place," but I kept having to restrain myself from asking how they know. That sounds mean, doesn't it? :/
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    All my life, I have hated it when people say "but she has such a pretty face". UGH! As if to say, "She is as fat as a pig and that makes her ugly----BUT, she has such a pretty face"! :noway:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    ...or "alls i have to say"...it's not ALLS! stop putting the "s" on the end of everything? You sound stupid!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    ...or "alls i have to say"...it's not ALLS! stop putting the "s" on the end of everything? You sound stupid!

Like, "yous guys" ??
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Oh yea another irk me word is Journey:grumble: I don't know why but it really does get under my skin.

YES! I'm trying to get in shape. Not lob a ring into a fiery mountain.

Bahahahahaha! I just laughed out loud in the middle of my quiet office and everyone looked up at me like I'd lost my mind! :D
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    What really bothers me is when someone walks into a room and someone always yell "Hey der, hows it be?" Or the popular "Yah der hey." when agree with someone. These are probably just small town Wisconsin things. People do tend to speak a little different around here. Like "bubbler" for drinking fountain and "side by each" for next to each other.

........to each his own.........(that bothers me too)
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    "Special needs"

My son does not have special needs, He needs exactly what every other kid does, just more of it. And if every kid got as much of what they need as my son does, our nations education system wouldn't be 47th of all developed countries!
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    I had an old boss come up to me all the time (while playing with his Blackberry) and say...

"Where are we at with that?" My typical response was..."Where are we at with what?"

I still have nightmares when I think of him!!!!
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    How about this one? I answer the phone at work with my usual greeting and at the end ask "How may I help you?" and get this response: "Uh. Yeah. Uh....can I ask a question?"

I want to respond with: "Yes, but since you're only allowed one and you just asked it, you'll have to call back tomorrow. Thanks so much and have a lovely day."

Ugh.......drives me insane!