Phrases or sayings that really irk me!!!!

Options

Replies

• Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great thread.

1) Take it to the next level.
    2) He/She is in a better place.
    3) Do what you gotta do.
    4) I am not fat I am big boned.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    The morning-drive guy on Sirius Patriot talk show says, "I'm not SAYIN', I'm just sayin'." Makes me laugh every time.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I hate the phrase, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Bullpucky. I've been skinny. I've been a perfect weight. I've been a little overweight. Being skinny wasn't so great. I was always cold. My immune system wasn't so great. I wasn't physically strong. Honestly? Chicken bacon ranch pizza is better. Physically, I feel way better a little overweight than I ever did when I was underweight.

"Skinny" shouldn't be anyone's goal. Being healthy should be.

I hate that one too. Even if they switch skinny to thin. It just makes me think the person has never eaten good food! Plus I immediately get the impression the person is super shallow - even if they aren't - it is just the feeling the phrase gives me.
  • jodi_e40
    Options
    '' I know...RIGHT'' makes me mad!!
  • runningneo122
    Options

Bullpucky. I've been skinny. I've been a perfect weight. I've been a little overweight. Being skinny wasn't so great. I was always cold. My immune system wasn't so great. I wasn't physically strong. Honestly? Chicken bacon ranch pizza is better. Physically, I feel way better a little overweight than I ever did when I was underweight.

I hate that one too. Even if they switch skinny to thin. It just makes me think the person has never eaten good food! Plus I immediately get the impression the person is super shallow - even if they aren't - it is just the feeling the phrase gives me.

Hear Here!!
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people say "My Bad" It doesn't sound complete to me, annoys me so bad.
  • Jbone23
    Options
    I don't like the easy out "it is what it is"
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It is what it is.

I just cringe every time I hear that. Imagine if everyone had that attitude!

I also hate when people misuse the term "literally".
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Not a phrase but when people who(usually) trash suck their teeth in annoyance or anger. It shows a lack of class..
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I can not stand when people pronounce "specific" as PACIFIC!.. I actually bust out laughing :laugh:
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

"Irregardless" ---- This is NOT a word and you sound IGNORANT when you're trying to sound intelligent by using big words.

Agh! I hate "irregardless!" With a passion!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Really? Come on, REALLY?!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Oh my I hate that one too and also "A moment on the lips is a life time on the hips."

The saying that really irks me though, this is coming from living in the south. "Ohhh bless your heart." Ugh just come out and say "I don't agree with you but I don't want to argue with you as your are stupid in my opinion."
  • LoseItCorinne
    Options
    " its not the end of the world"

I know its not but its pissing me off at this moment so i am going to be man about it.. My boyfriend always says this and i want to punch him every time he does! LOL :0)
  • LoseItCorinne
    Options
    Or a moment on the lip is forever on the hips... Ugh!
  • AprilWillis
    Options
    Last year, I lost 25 pounds. I'm a teacher, so when I came back after summer break, I really looked like a different person. I came into a meeting and the room was FREEZING.

"If you gained weight, it wouldn't be so cold."

WTF? Who tells someone to gain weight? You don't go up to a fat person and say "well, you wouldn't be sweating so much if you would lose some weight." Or, "You could fit into that booth without moving the table if you'd lose some weight."

After that, I noticed people saying that more to me. "If you would gain some weight......"

GRRRR....
  • runningneo122
    Options
    Really? Come on, REALLY?!!

No, I'm lying to you!!
  • runningneo122
    Options

The saything that really irks me though, this is coming from living in the south. "Ohhh bless your heart." Ugh just come out and say "I don't agree with you but I don't want to argue with you as your are stupid in my opinion."

I've been told that "Ohhh, bless your heart" in the South is the way a proper Southern belle says, "F$#% off!"
  • BuckeyeLuvvvva
    BuckeyeLuvvvva Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ohhh man, I am guilty of quite a few of these... including "I know, right?" and "it is what it is," only with the latter I don't think of it as a pessimistic statement, I'm just sort of letting whatever roll off my shoulders, having the wisdom to know the difference between the things I can and cannot control if you will, and moving on. Moreso than phrases/sayings that irk me are spelling errors:

If you LOSE weight, your pants will be LOOSE.

And of course, the endless perils of the homophones:

They're/their/there
    To/too/two

....just sayin' :laugh:
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    I hate the phrase : I'll reach out to "someone". I have a friend who uses this constantly- why not just talk to them or call them why reach out? Augh!