Pacific Northwest peeps look here!

Options

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I think I'm going to head to the store tonight and look for Vitamin D.
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look into it too! Anyone have any suggestions on brands and/or dosage amounts?
  • GingerKid
    Options
    Hi all you PNWers! I'm one too. Born and bred! :) Currently, I live a pinch East of Seattle....

I *should* be taking VitD, but have fallen off the wagon on that (and other things *blush*). My doc recommends 2000 IU a day for us in the PNW. She checked my VitD level a year or so back and it was LOW LOW LOW.

I think one challenge I have during the darker months, is when it gets dark, I go into 'nighttime mode'. Curl up on the couch, etc. When the sun sets at 430, you can see how that impacts productivity and activity! LOL
  • outersoul
    Options
    Hi all you PNWers! I'm one too. Born and bred! :) Currently, I live a pinch East of Seattle....

I *should* be taking VitD, but have fallen off the wagon on that (and other things *blush*). My doc recommends 2000 IU a day for us in the PNW. She checked my VitD level a year or so back and it was LOW LOW LOW.

I think one challenge I have during the darker months, is when it gets dark, I go into 'nighttime mode'. Curl up on the couch, etc. When the sun sets at 430, you can see how that impacts productivity and activity! LOL

I know exactly what you mean. I get up for work and it's dark. I go home and it's dark. We're like vampires.
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Yes, I hate that working through all the daylight hours thing!! If it wasn't for taking the kids out to recess (I teach) I'd never see the daylight at all! I actually take 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day. I don't know if it's overkill, maybe, but I think it helps. I'm not sure, but I think that may be the highest dose you can get over the counter.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    We hibernate on the "other coast" too. Maybe I do it because I grew up in the PNW? I dunno, but as soon as the sun starts to set early my body just wants to curl up and go to sleep. I have been taking 2000 units of D3 every other day. Out here it is getting difficult to find any of the full spectrum light bulbs. Everyone has stocked the shelves with those fluorescent curly cue things.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THE PNW!!! This is PARADISE to me!!! Where else can you go snowboarding and surfing in the same weekend??? Where else can you climb ice covered volcanoes or hike through temperate rain forests to secret hot springs within a day's drive of a hopping metropolis??? There is adventure all over this place. I don't even go to a gym because I wouldn't want to be inside running on a machine when I could be hiking a mountain, scaling a rock wall, or SUP'ing across the Sound. The weather is cold and wet, but if you wanna really enjoy this place, you just have to be ok with it. I bought a wetsuit from a local surf shop so I can play in the Sound year round (went paddling this past weekend). I also think the weather is good for running.. put on some polar fleece and a ski hat and hit it! You'll be happy it's raining around mile 2 or 3!!

I will admit I don't care much for biking in the rain, though.... but still... hiking, surfing, paddling, swimming, running....all of these are, at least in my opinion, perfectly wonderful activities to do in the rain....I'd be interested in what other folks do to keep active an enjoying life in this weather.....

BTW, I consider myself the poster girl of the PNW. I really do love this place.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm from Vancouver, WA - next to portland,OR border. The weather is so depress with all the rain and flood.
    I have a 24 fitness club membership so I go there every other days.
    I take fermented cod liver oil with butter .. natural vitamin D.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    HI all! I'm in Portland and the rain doesn't phase me most of the time...I start going a bit stir crazy by march usually. I just started taking Vitamin D regularly a few months ago.
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Agreed maremare! March is the worst! Is the vitamin D helping you? It did me... :)
  • ih8marshmellows
    Options
    Yay! northwest people are my favorite! I'm from portland, but I live in Arizona now, I miss the northwest so much!

Hey there! I just moved back to Portland from Phoenix. Definitely missing the sun!!!

Oh my gosh! Too much sun for me! I actually miss the rain, and snow!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D hAs been bought and first dose taken!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and thought I'd poke my head in. I'm east of Everett along the Cascade Foothills so I get to enjoy the rain clouds squashing up against the base of the mountains and squeezing a little extra rain out before they go over. At least we were smart enough to avoid living on a flood plain!

I recently started taking Vitamin D and I do think it's beginning to help! Most of my activities are indoors (with the exception of cleaning out the chicken coop but I don't do that when it's raining so they need their house cleaned BAD!)

Spring will be here soon and it will be glorious!
  • outersoul
    Options
    I heard on the news that we might have sun. I'm stoked for that. I got new Oakleys but have barely used them. Happy Monday all!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Agreed maremare! March is the worst! Is the vitamin D helping you? It did me... :)

I really think it is! I swear I sleep better and have more energy.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I heard on the news that we might have sun. I'm stoked for that. I got new Oakleys but have barely used them. Happy Monday all!

It was supposed to be sunny, but I washed the car on Saturday. Thus, the rain this weekend :/ Sorry.
  • outersoul
    Options
    It was supposed to be sunny, but I washed the car on Saturday. Thus, the rain this weekend :/ Sorry.

You know I'm blaming you right?
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I'm stationed at Fort Lewis, only been here since July. It's absolutely beautiful here, but DANG...can we get some sun please? Cold doesn't bother me, it's the gloom and the rain, everything is wet ALL THE TIME! *sigh* I'll be alright come summer!

Saturday was gorgeous, actually got to do my run outside instead of the treadmill!
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options

You know I'm blaming you right?

It's the balls.
  • BEEKER8897
    BEEKER8897 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey PNW Peeps! I live in Oak Harbor Washington. I have three little ones, so most of my exercise time is spent in the gym, especially during the winter time. I did get to walk to the track last week!!