Pacific Northwest peeps look here!

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,682 Member
    Options
    I live in Puyallup. I was born in Salem, spent my early youth in Portland, grew up in Federal Way, and settled in Puyallup when I met my hubby, who grew up in Tumwater. When we met, he was working in Lacey, and I was working in Federal Way, so Puyallup was a nice halfway point for us, and we had friends who lived on South Hill. We've been here for 20+ years now. I hate the winters, but I love the summers. We get away to Orcas Island for a few days every summer. I would love to have a summer house there and a winter house in Vegas. I can dream, can't I?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    A complaint about the weather: this dry rain dry rain dry rain dry rain dry I get in Eugene (and I'm sure up north too) kills me every year...sinus pressure headaches ensue and make me one cranky woman.
    Frankly I'd like to leave work, hit a pub, order a pitcher of bloody mary's and chill with my peeps the rest of the day!

Still taking vitamin D in the hopes it kicks in soon!!!
  • PJilly
    Options
    LOL. I just took my vitamin D and am sitting here with my "Happy Light" going. True story.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    I live in Puyallup. I was born in Salem, spent my early youth in Portland, grew up in Federal Way, and settled in Puyallup when I met my hubby, who grew up in Tumwater. When we met, he was working in Lacey, and I was working in Federal Way, so Puyallup was a nice halfway point for us, and we had friends who lived on South Hill. We've been here for 20+ years now. I hate the winters, but I love the summers. We get away to Orcas Island for a few days every summer. I would love to have a summer house there and a winter house in Vegas. I can dream, can't I?

Amen to that! Can I share the houses with you?

A question about Orcas Island - is that literal? A good place to do whale watching? I'd like to come north this summer or fall for a long weekend with my husband and daughter so we could be at the beach and whale watch. never have before.
  • Laceylala
    Options
    LOL. I just took my vitamin D and am sitting here with my "Happy Light" going. True story.

We keep trying to convince our boss at work to buy some happy lights for us girls so we can bask once or twice a day...
  • PJilly
    Options

Amen to that! Can I share the houses with you?

A question about Orcas Island - is that literal? A good place to do whale watching? I'd like to come north this summer or fall for a long weekend with my husband and daughter so we could be at the beach and whale watch. never have before.
    Orcas is the biggest island in the San Juans, and it's our favorite one. That's definitely home of whales, but you're not likely to see any unless you go on a whale-watching tour. We've done that once, and it's pretty cool. Here's a good link to check out the San Juans: http://www.visitsanjuans.com/

We stay at the same place every year. It's three cottages on 2.5 acres of beach property. You can rent one, two or three of them, depending on how many are in your party. We always rent two — one for us and one for our teenaged kids. Here's a link to where we love to stay (but there are all kinds of wonderful places in the San Juans): http://www.orcas1.com/Peapod.htm There are tons of deer. We've seen otters, eagles, heron, you name it. It's so, so beautiful and peaceful there.
  • sassietigger
    Options
    Tacoma here. :)
    looking forward to getting to know some of you PNW'ers.
    Just joined MFP and having fun with the site and info that is available.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Hi ya'll! I'm stationed at Fort Lewis, only been here since July. It's absolutely beautiful here, but DANG...can we get some sun please? Cold doesn't bother me, it's the gloom and the rain, everything is wet ALL THE TIME! *sigh* I'll be alright come summer!

Saturday was gorgeous, actually got to do my run outside instead of the treadmill!

Welcome! I used to drive past JBLM everyday. The traffic was unbearable so I found a new job. I actually used to live on Ft. Lewis in Old Hillside. Not sure if they still call it that. I even interned there when I was in college. I worked right by the parade field.
    Hey PNW Peeps! I live in Oak Harbor Washington. I have three little ones, so most of my exercise time is spent in the gym, especially during the winter time. I did get to walk to the track last week!!

Welcome and good job on walking the track!
    Tacoma here. :)
    looking forward to getting to know some of you PNW'ers.
    Just joined MFP and having fun with the site and info that is available.

Welcome to the group! I worked near Tacoma General for many years.
  • outersoul
    Options
    We have sun! We have sun!
  • Laceylala
    Options
    :drinker: I have grey! I have grey!

(Sorry...couldn't resist! LOL)
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am from Kenmore, WA just north of Seattle. Born in Seattle, moved to Kansas until I was 8 then back to Seattle. I have to say rain here is way better than a tornado there. I don't mind the rain its the gray sky that goes with it I don't like.
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Agreed maremare! March is the worst! Is the vitamin D helping you? It did me... :)

I really think it is! I swear I sleep better and have more energy.

Yeah, I noticed a difference almost immediately when I started taking it, but my D levels were pretty abysmal according to my doctor... lol.
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just spotted this thread! I'm currently living in Seattle for school, but was born and raised in the Portland area! :) The weather doesn't really get me down too much - I actually like the rain! But I hate it when it gets really misty in Seattle. There really is no good way to dress for mist. Haha.

And I am definitely looking forward to summer!
  • outersoul
    Options
    The mist is tough. It's not really raining but it's no NOT raining either.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I saw a big shiny thing in the sky today and about freaked out....until someone educated me on the SUN...LOL!!! Fog was thick this morning!
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    I saw a big shiny thing in the sky today and about freaked out....until someone educated me on the SUN...LOL!!! Fog was thick this morning!

Oh, is THAT what that thing was??? I thought it was a UFO! lol
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Born and raised Oregonian here, and yes, I'm ready to be done with the rain. I live in Hillsboro (West of Portland). Being able to exercise outside is a definite challenge. I long for a walk in the summer evening. But for now I'm working out to exercise dvds in my livingroom. I've been walking during my breaks at work... weather permitting of course.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    yay i like this thread! i'm a student up in bellingham at WWU, i'll be sure to check back with this thread to see how you guys are doing :D feel free to add me if you like!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    North of Seattle in L-wood.

The sun yesterday was weird. I may have to start wearing my sunglasses when riding home from work.
  • outersoul
    Options
    North of Seattle in L-wood.

The sun yesterday was weird. I may have to start wearing my sunglasses when riding home from work.

You are one dedicated rider! I ride a month or two out of the year. I'm most definitely a fair weather rider.