Profile pics-rant

Options

Replies

• Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't even realize so many people commented on this... AWESOME!!!
  • rosita76
    Options
    LMAO!!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get annoyed when people post photos that are obviously not them? It irks me when someones weight loss ticker says they need to lose 125lbs and they post a photo of a 105lb model on the beach. Or that suddenly Brad Pitt wants to be my MFP friend. I understand that maybe it's for motivation- like putting a skinny pic on your refrigerator or something, but I like seeing the real person.

Ok, just wanted to get that off my chest LOL

Happy Sunday!

that's really silly. I want to be anonymous. I don't want someone to stumble upon here that I know in real life because I have an ED and it's none of their business. I have an icon that represents where I'm from if you know what it is. People don't need to see what I look like, though i do plan on posting before and after pics of my long journey when i reach my goal - my face will be blurred though. And if someone's inspiration is a model on the beach - maybe it's not the weight they're going for in the pic, but more the idea that they want to be confident at the each when they weight a bit less
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    Heehee,
    yep, I guess I get you. Didn't happen to me so far.
    Probably I wouldn't add them either.
    I'm more the "falling for George Clooney"- type anyway. LOL
    ]

Me too... Brad Pitt does nothing for me!! *HEAR THAT GUYS... BRAD PITT DOES NOTHING FOR ME*

I agree with you on this for sure. Brad Pitt is beyond unattractive and never has been. He always looks like whoever he is dating and takes on their style. It's funny and I think he is a joke of an actor.

Though I don't give a **** if someone wanted that as their profile pic Who cares
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    if you could care less... then why comment on this thread?
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    Guess I cared enough to make a comment since I thought yours was pretty dumb and presumptuous.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    So check me if I'm wrong but you meant people that show OTHER PEOPLE NOT MILKSHAKES right...good, whew I like to put my dogs up because I'm an agnostic dyslexic and I worship Dog.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    Guess I cared enough to make a comment since I thought yours was pretty dumb and presumptuous.
    Wow, Wendi, you had better stop using your own noodle and forming your own opinions because "you know who" is geeeeettting annoyyyyyyyyed!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Wow,snark much?

You have a right to your position in disagreement and easily could have expressed it in civil terms.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Some people may have their reasons for not posting their pics...like for privacy or they may be shy.

Totally agree. Like my pic?
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    Hey Wendi, could you add me cuz I'm dumb and presumptuous too!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Anyone else get annoyed when people post photos that are obviously not them? It irks me when someones weight loss ticker says they need to lose 125lbs and they post a photo of a 105lb model on the beach. Or that suddenly Brad Pitt wants to be my MFP friend. I understand that maybe it's for motivation- like putting a skinny pic on your refrigerator or something, but I like seeing the real person.

Happy Sunday!

that's really silly. I want to be anonymous. I don't want someone to stumble upon here that I know in real life because I have an ED and it's none of their business. I have an icon that represents where I'm from if you know what it is. People don't need to see what I look like, though i do plan on posting before and after pics of my long journey when i reach my goal - my face will be blurred though. And if someone's inspiration is a model on the beach - maybe it's not the weight they're going for in the pic, but more the idea that they want to be confident at the each when they weight a bit less

Totally agree with you. The anonymity is key for me. I don't want people from my professional life seeing my profile. I am a private person.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    Wow,snark much?

You have a right to your position in disagreement and easily could have expressed it in civil terms.

I saw enough of her comments throughout this post to come to this conclusion (and many others). Many people on MFP have an issue with making topics that are a no brainer and just serve to act superior for it. This is one of those. Privacy on the internet is probably the easiest issue as to why someone might have a pic of Brad Pitt or some swimsuit model. Doesn't mean they're trying to ~pass off being that person. Just means hey don't want to show their face.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

I didn't say she was dumb. I said the comment was. I don't know her and I don't think she is dumb. I did think some of her comments on this were dumb though. There's a huge difference between calling out a dumb topic and saying someone is dumb.
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    I guess I'm a little more honest and open than others.... if anyone from my 'real' life was to stumble upon my profile here or anywhere else on the internet they would only find what they already know about me. I'm not hiding behind anything. What you see is what you get with me....

But what ever anyone else wants to do is fine with me.... I started this thread just like other have started different ones.... with a personal opinion- everyone is entitled to them, ya know?!?
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

Happy Sunday!

Totally agree with you. The anonymity is key for me. I don't want people from my professional life seeing my profile. I am a private person.

Same here. I am open on the internet about my ED and giving or receiving advice, but it doesn't mean I want to put a face out there because it would affect my personal life in a huge way.

I'm also used to Livejournal where many people don't use their face and usually have something similar to yours or whatever interests them. They're not trying to pass of being Brad Pitt or a super model. They're just using a picture.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Wow,snark much?

I saw enough of her comments throughout this post to come to this conclusion (and many others). Many people on MFP have an issue with making topics that are a no brainer and just serve to act superior for it. This is one of those. Privacy on the internet is probably the easiest issue as to why someone might have a pic of Brad Pitt or some swimsuit model. Doesn't mean they're trying to ~pass off being that person. Just means hey don't want to show their face.

Each to their own I guess.
    There are dozens of threads started here everyday,some by the title hold no interest for me and just don`t bother,some I click on and have no desire to post in...most of the game ones are not my bag but it is fine with me that many enjoy them.

I just don`t think it is required to start an argument in those I don`t care for is all or if I disagreed with a premise would try to not start it off by declaring it silly.

That makes it confrontational no matter what ones opinion is.

Anyways...carry on all.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    I guess I'm a little more honest and open than others.... if anyone from my 'real' life was to stumble upon my profile here or anywhere else on the internet they would only find what they already know about me. I'm not hiding behind anything. What you see is what you get with me....

But what ever anyone else wants to do is fine with me.... I started this thread just like other have started different ones.... with a personal opinion- everyone is entitled to them, ya know?!?

Just because I don't have a picture of myself doesn't mean I'm not open or honest as you are. I rolled my eyes so hard at that. I admit when I screw up and I talk about my ED to get that out there because I could hide behind it forever, but the internet and here gives me a place to talk about issues surrounding it. I don't want my face out there as my personal life outside of the internet (where only a few of my very closest friends know about my ED) could be directly affected in a negative way and I'm not going to risk that.

I'm happy for you that you're confident to put your face out there. That's great it works for you, but I thought it was silly to rag on people who are apparently trying to pass as Brad Pitt (and yes I'm aware you're using that as an example). Also, just because it's your opinion doesn't mean that it's right or doesn't have negative connotations with it.
  • MobiusMan
    Options

I didn't say she was dumb. I said the comment was. I don't know her and I don't think she is dumb. I did think some of her comments on this were dumb though. There's a huge difference between calling out a dumb topic and saying someone is dumb.
    I know at 24 it's less likely that have learned that being critical of others opinions requires critical thought first. Wendi was simply stating her OPINION and you seemed to take it very personally. It wasn't intended, i don't think, to offend, I'll bet it was intended to solve a personal puzzle as to why some people do that. Folks like myself who regularly lay their opinions out there often wonder "why?" Therefore, in the interest of personal knowledge, ask questions formed as opinions to solicit a response on a personal level. It's the old fashioned thing we call conversation. Ask open ended questions to provoke a thoughtful response.

P.S. Wendi, I apologize if I misstated your intent in my own words.
  • Wendi_S
    Options

. I rolled my eyes so hard at that.

My twenty one year old daughter rolls her eyes too.... careful they might get stuck that way! Oh wait... was I being dumb and presumptuous again?