do men prefer skinny women?

Options

Replies

• audreybeaner
    Options
    It was interesting reading some of the responses on here...

My Hubby said it like this...

"When I was young and worried about what other guys thought of my girl; I went for the skinny chicks -- I didn't necessarily find them attractive but everyone else did. Now that I'm older, put on a few pounds of my own and don't really care what the other guy likes I've found myself more attracted to a real woman. One who doesn't look like she'll blow away in a strong wind or break if I bear hug her."

Har har...apparently I got too comfortable with my Husbands love of chub and went overboard ;)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    well I have been on both ends of the spectrum, I have been heavier and I have been skinny and I can honestly say I got WAY more attention when I was on the heavier side...had more boobs and butt and always had a flat stomach. I think overall men like women who look fit...skinny minnie is not fit for everyone, nor is being heavy for everyone. Basically I'm saying, as long as you are healthy and work what you got! And if you're confident, you have all the power =) Like everyone's been saying, it just depends on the guy and what he prefers because everyone has a differing opinion.
  • 04warrior
    Options
    I am one who prefers the thin or skinny woman. I think 5'7, 125 or 130 is about right. 150+ is just too much - provided everything is height weight proportionate. I like a woman into health and fitness who looks and feels good. I think the reason women on the heavier side get more attention is that they are less threatening to men, usually men are not confident enough to approach a then wonamn, especially if they themselves are not thin. I think they are going for what they feel is attainable based on thier own looks / situation and not being totally honest about their preferences - just my opinion. If all men who thought "curvy" was hot actually believed it the models and ads we see everyday would reflect that....think about it. There have only been a few models / celebrities who are "curvy" - Kim Kardasian and Anna Nicole Smith come to mond, but they are few and far between - by today's standards, Marilyn Monroe would have a hard time getting a full-time gig. :)
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Men are, from a biological standpoint, generally attracted to women with a thin waist, large breasts, and wide hips.. This is simply because these are some of the best indicators of a female's fitness as a mother: a small waist indicates she has not had many pregnancies already and is young and healthy; wide hips will allow for easier child birth and an increased chance of survival; and large breasts are important to provide adequate amounts of milk. Clearly now none of these is that important in determining a child's survival, but old habits die hard!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Breast size in no way reflects ability to provide milk. That is a complete myth. I started off with 32 a's and have nursed my children for a few years now. That's purely anecdotal in itself- but if you read up on it you'll find that it's the truth.
  • AnneRenee155
    AnneRenee155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • AnneRenee155
    AnneRenee155 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sorry to be pedantic but most men DO NOT LIKE skinny women

"skinny" conjures up ribs showing through hollow cheeks and thin gangly arms and legs - NO WAY

On the contrary though men do not like FAT women either.

If I know anything about men (and have been one for some time) they prefer a female to be iN PROPORTION
    this may also mean a preference for larger bust or longer legs etc but it all (the whole package) has to be in proportion. That means that there is some latitude for carrying some or maybe extra flesh.

I hope that helps because I've read some garbage above "answering" this question.

I completely agree! It's all about proportion. Of course the extremes are not attractive as is true of most things in life. I think some women love to hear a man say 'i like a woman with meat on her bones, not stick figure' but meat on her bones doesn't mean overweight---and that's why we're all here trying to lose weight! 'Curvy' is pretty much what you were born with :) You have the shape or you don't...
  • aja0071
    Options
    Does anyone else see a patten reading these comments? The question is Do men prefer skinny women?, and most men on here said no. More like curvy or healthy. But most women on here said men dont like fat women or want big chest and little waist. Girls listen to yourself. Stop being your own worst critics. I believe men love women who are healthy and love their own bodies.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm lovin' the men's comments here. Those comments tell me that what the media is telling us is pretty is NOT what real men think is pretty. THANK GOD!

Makes me wonder, though, what the "younger generation" of men think is pretty. (i.e. teens and early twenties) They have been raised with the media's image of pretty - skinny skinny skinny but big grapefruit boobs. I would hate to be a 19 year old girl right now...

19 year old girl right here!

Teen Girl magazines have been preaching for years (or at least since I was 13) that a girl with confidence and a cute wardrobe will always snag the guy. She doesn't have to be pretty or popular or trying to be somebody she's not -- just herself. Although it helps if she isn't "fat", although the magazines won't say that but real-life experience does. You see these lovely girls who are bigger than the desired "norm" try and compete with these stick figures. The fashions available for girls today just make anyone bigger than a size 8 look well, wrong. Denim short shorts anyone? The amount of bigger girls I've seen walking around in tight little short shorts to look like their skinnier friends is crazy. They look so uncomfortable and unhappy!

Of course guys love the girls with the grape-fruit boobs and tiny waists of the adult industry. Many, including my boyfriend, love watching the fantasies played out but would never date a girl who looked like that for their girlfriend. They want someone a little more healthy, real and who leaves something to the imagination. If you flaunt it all, men will look and enjoy themselves but won't pursue a serious relationship with you.

My boyfriend loved me when I was a thin, starving student and he loved me when I ballooned up three dress sizes. He loves me most now when I'm healthy and trying to tone. He loves my jiggles. Ultimately though, healthy with some goods (boobs or butt or legs -- depending on what they're personally into).

Phew! Long comment. Sorry :)
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If they prefer "curvy girls" why do all of the ads geared toward men feature skinny girls? Why are cheerleaders so skinny? Why are calendar girls and playboy models all skinn? And no I do not consider breast implants and perfect butts to be considered a curvy girl as it is being used here. (This is a site for weight loss right? so I assume you mean a plus size girl)

I would suggest it is a couple of things.

First the target audience is very young so as I said above the almost teenage look is what they are shooting for.
    That has sort of become self perpetuating now knows nothing else.
    If they started putting out a more mature role model you would see that become the norm.

Maybe I am way off the mark here but I think the ad industry attempting to sell to the most impressionable has caused great harm.
    In fairness they are doing what they need to do to stay in business so not sure the answer.

I agree in a way, but I also disagree. To say that this is marketing geared towards the young seems to dismiss the fact that older men still find those things to be very attractive. Obviously the marketing and advertising industry has a lot to do with body perception and what people are willing to do or believe they have to do in order to meet standard. I find smaller women to be attractive because I am supposed to be a big, strong man. My most substantial comparison is going to be the person that I am most intimate with. If she is smaller than me then on some warped level, I feel better about myself. On the same note, at my low weight, I surprised her by coming out of the bedroom wearing a pair of her pants to show her that I could fit into them. Not the best decision, the look on her face, not because I was wearing women's jeans, but because I could fit into HER jeans, had her visiting Mr. Billy Blanks and Ms. Jillian Michaels religiously for the next months. In her eyes and most women's eyes, she is supposed to be smaller than her man.

Fat girls want to lose weight, scrawny dudes like me want to get ripped, bald guys want hair, and many women are forgetting that it is possible to age gracefully. Media dictates what we like and even as free thinking, mature adults, we have all been influenced by our cultural norms.

Just on the pants thing. I tried on my boyfriend's jeans the other day. We were both shocked they fit perfectly. We're actually the same size in shoes and pants. I think it's cute. His Tees are more like dresses on me, which is weird because I'm the tall one but he's broader. Bottom line? I love his shape, I'm learning to love mine and I love how we fit together. Sometimes he has the urge to be the big strong man and I let him.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    Does anyone else see a patten reading these comments? The question is Do men prefer skinny women?, and most men on here said no. More like curvy or healthy. But most women on here said men dont like fat women or want big chest and little waist. Girls listen to yourself. Stop being your own worst critics. I believe men love women who are healthy and love their own bodies.

Well said and was noticing the same thing. Pages of men saying they like "curves" (defined however you want) and women refusing to believe it.

I would say confidence is what's attractive - whether you are confident losing weight and being thin or confident as someone who carries more weight - guys will notice. It's not really about being skinny, but about being healthy and fit...and the confidence that comes with it.
  • audreybeaner
    Options
    I got to thinking about this a little more and have to agree with some of the other posters.

Shame on "us" as women.

Who cares if some men prefer skinny women, and who cares if some prefer toned women and who cares if some just like big, "fat" women.

If YOU love you...then you will find someone who loves YOU just as you are. You can not base your weight loss, self worth or self opinion on what some guy may or may not like. There are men out there who want nothing more than to be with a woman who some of us would consider a bag of bones...and others who absolutely adore women whom we would consider morbidly obese. In the end...what it boils down to is this; you are who you are...no one's approval is needed...as long as you're living healthy then...shake what ya Mama gave ya :)
  • monstertwelve
    Options
    I am one who prefers the thin or skinny woman. I think 5'7, 125 or 130 is about right. 150+ is just too much - provided everything is height weight proportionate. I like a woman into health and fitness who looks and feels good. I think the reason women on the heavier side get more attention is that they are less threatening to men, usually men are not confident enough to approach a then wonamn, especially if they themselves are not thin. I think they are going for what they feel is attainable based on thier own looks / situation and not being totally honest about their preferences - just my opinion. If all men who thought "curvy" was hot actually believed it the models and ads we see everyday would reflect that....think about it. There have only been a few models / celebrities who are "curvy" - Kim Kardasian and Anna Nicole Smith come to mond, but they are few and far between - by today's standards, Marilyn Monroe would have a hard time getting a full-time gig. :)

interesting...i have to say...i agree
  • monstertwelve
    Options
    Men are, from a biological standpoint, generally attracted to women with a thin waist, large breasts, and wide hips.. This is simply because these are some of the best indicators of a female's fitness as a mother: a small waist indicates she has not had many pregnancies already and is young and healthy; wide hips will allow for easier child birth and an increased chance of survival; and large breasts are important to provide adequate amounts of milk. Clearly now none of these is that important in determining a child's survival, but old habits die hard!

i heard that somewhere! thats it all about fertlilty or looking like you can carry and care for a child!

like its their natural instinct or something...
  • ItsMissMuffy
    ItsMissMuffy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you can group it into a category. There is a LARGE spectrum of men. I'm sure there are men who like skinny women, men who like curvy women, men who like larger women, and men who like men rather than women. Just like us women, we don't all like ONE type of man or weight for a man. Every man is different, to each their own liking.

Couldn't have said it better

<3
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Yeah? Try finding pants long enough. I can only get them from Victorias Secret's catalog, they are the only ones I can find that go up to 36" inseam. It really stinks sometimes. I would love to buy clothes off the rack on clearance just once!!!!

Amen, sister! I'm only 5'8" but my torso is short enough that I have to buy "tall" or "long" jeans, and if I want to wear heels with the, then sometimes extra long. Talk about frustrating shopping. That's why shorts are just so much easier. But did you know the Express is carrying longs now? They're not super long but at least it doesn't look like we're waiting for a flood!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    where all you guys????? i have been told by almost every man i date im too fat or compared to a sickly thin waitress and told she has a perfect body
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    where all you guys????? i have been told by almost every man i date im too fat or compared to a sickly thin waitress and told she has a perfect body

in total agreement.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yeah? Try finding pants long enough. I can only get them from Victorias Secret's catalog, they are the only ones I can find that go up to 36" inseam. It really stinks sometimes. I would love to buy clothes off the rack on clearance just once!!!!

Amen, sister! I'm only 5'8" but my torso is short enough that I have to buy "tall" or "long" jeans, and if I want to wear heels with the, then sometimes extra long. Talk about frustrating shopping. That's why shorts are just so much easier. But did you know the Express is carrying longs now? They're not super long but at least it doesn't look like we're waiting for a flood!

Honestly I did not know that! Thank you. Finally off the rack! You just made my weekend.
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    nope, I like a lil meat on the bones, something to hold onto, a woman is suppose to have some curves