Replies

• amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    plain greek yogurt ....with cucumbers !!!! super good
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt tastes the same as regular yogurt - I don't understand why there would be any difference in the taste. It's just the texture that's different. Unless American yogurt tastes very different from British yogurt.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't have the patience to read through 8 pages of posts so I apologize if this has been said already...

My favorite is Dannon Oikos in vanilla flavor. I don't do the fruit ones anymore because they're so high in sugar and the plain Greek yogurt tastes like sour milk to me.

It's something to get used to for sure... but if you think that's bad, try the Icelandic yogurt! You'll think Greek yogurt is the nectar of the gods in comparison! :laugh:
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    how do you want to what? make it taste different than yogurt? no good answer to this other than either get to like yogurt or don't eat yogurt.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Initially I was going to recommend adding fruit and honey like everyone else and I still think you should try. But if it is a texture thing for you, just mixing fruit in, isn't likely to take that away. I would suggest, try thinning it out a bit. Add a little skim milk, or almond milk to the yogurt to thin it - mix it good! Then go ahead and add some fruits. One that I find really helps to mask it is bananas, and then add a berry of some sort for the variety. The other option is the smoothies - Done that and it works great.

Really though, if you try some of these things and it just isn't working - why not try low fat cottage cheese? You can mix that with veggies, or fruit for a tasty snack. You can even puree the cottage cheese and make it nice and smooth and creamy.

Good luck :)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Someone probably said this before, but why are you trying to eat something you don't like? You don't need to eat Greek yogurt!
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    I buy the plain fat free. I had a packet of splenda, some lemon, and vanilla extract, and I love it.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    If you think you must eat it, then try a some other brands. I don't like Greek yogurt either so I just don't eat it. I eat other protein rich foods instead like cottage cheese. You can try cottage cheese with fruit if you are looking for the fruity taste, too.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt all the time and think it's great. Only flavour I really don't like is "plain" but that goes with any yogurt, american or greek.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat Greek Yogurt because it is higher in protein.

I bought the Chobani with fruit on the bottom because it had a little more sugar than others and I thought it would taste better.

But...

YUCK!!!

I even added a little packet of sun crystals and that just didn't even help at all!!!

To me, the after taste was like having a stiff, dry goat cheese that missed its maturation mark.

I am sitting here trying to eat bites of it to get used to it, but...I...just...can't.

I read on the internet that it takes getting used to and is an acquired taste for someone who is used to eating American yogurt.

But let me tell you something.

Champagne is an acquired taste. Lamb is an acquired taste.

This stuff is NOT. It is pain on wheels.

The initial taste is not terrible. But I just can't get over the after taste. Ugh!

I absolutely hated it the first two or three times I tried it but now it's like crack. Try eating just a quarter or half of the cup at a time, that way you don't get overwhelmed by the texture. You can also throw it in the freezer for a little while. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd pick a fruity greek yogurt over cheesecake nowadays.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the stuff....but it's good for protein so I use it in my chocolate protein drink :smile:
  • strangewebby
    Options
    The only greek yogurt I've tried and liked is Dannon Oikos Greek. I first started out mixing it with nonfat vanilla flavored regular yogurt and mixing in almonds and bananas. Now I just eat the Dannon Greek Vanilla flavored. The transition helped me to like the taste and thickness of greek over american yogurt, which I now find to be too sweet and runny.
  • hockeymom2x
    hockeymom2x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Apologies if this was already mentioned but I love Greek Gods -- The Honey Vanilla Greek Yogurt.. It's a little high in calories but I just weigh out 4 oz and add some fresh berries and it's delicious.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I never get the plain. It's fruit on the bottom or bust.
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    yes, it is an acquired taste...I used to add TRUVIA sprinkles and add raspberry flavoring or vanilla flavoring to it...along w/ frozen berries and a few sprinkles of go lean crunch cereal for a crunch...all in all, I now love it! I get the vanilla flavored chobani...You might want to start with low fat type first...then move to no fat...I just had my treat for breakfast: nonfat chobani vanilla yogurt, frozen berries and a few go lean crunch cereal...yum! hope this helps
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you don't like something don't eat it - pick something else?
  • jdsmith512
    jdsmith512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    put protein powder in it
  • EmilyJaneRigali
    Options
    my first taste of honey greek yogurt was disgusting! my mom and i bought it to try and we took one bite and threw all the rest away. then, after a while i started seeing my boss eating greek yogurt all the time, so i randomly got it again and i loved it this time. i actually like it better. regular yogurt seems too sweet to me now and it almost seems like a dessert.
  • Lidenbrock
    Options
    Get some plain low fat Greek - 'Total' or something similar - a lot of supermarkets etc. have their own brands but they're not so good. I tend to use as an accompaniment to savoury dishes. Add some chopped garlic and chopped coriander (cilantro) and you have a great raita to go with spicy dishes such as curries (mix well and chill in fridge to allow flavours to instil). Simply adding mixed spice works as well. Also great with fresh fruit if you have more of a sweet tooth.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I just wouldn't eat it. :flowerforyou:

I worked with a girl who was trying to lose weight and had decided she HAD to eat cottage cheese and I watched her try to choke it down day after day, with all different fruits, veggies, honey, salt/pepper, etc. She almost cried telling me how bad she wanted to eat it and like it, as if it were essential to her weight loss....