Options
    I'd like one, Cora.

Send me ur email address.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Where has Curtis Stone been all my life?!? :love:

Ahem...moving on.

I made some fabulous (if I do say so myself) tri-tip this weekend. Tri-tip is nearly impossible to find in Texas, where brisket is king. Apparently all the Californians hog it all for themselves. Anyway - it's about a bazillion times tastier than brisket, fairly lean, and you don't have to cook it for eleventy billion hours to get a great piece of meat. Here's the recipe I used (and if you're in Texas trying to find it - look at Costco. Get the roast. You won't regret it).

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/herb-rubbed-sirloin-tip-roast/Detail.aspx

In other paleo-related news, my crossfit gym had a 7 week challenge, where we were divided up into teams, weighed, body fat tested, measurements and pics taken. We all did a workout the first day, and then we got points for working out, keeping a food log (that's how I stumbled onto MFP!), and keeping a workout log. AT the end, we were weighed and measured again, and we did the same workout to see how our times improved (workout was 3 rounds of 21 box jumps, 15 pullups, and 9 clean and jerks). In 7 weeks, I lost 17 lbs, 16 inches, and 6.8% body fat! And I decreased my workout time by about 3 minutes. That was good enough to earn 2nd place!! :happy: :glasses:
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I keep missing out. I need to check this post daily then since we never get notifications!

My name is Nancy :)
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Labgirl (don't know your name) That is awesome progress! I am telling you. Crossfit+Paleo=Success. Nice job!
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oops - sorry! I'm Leigh. :smile:

The only bummer was that I didn't gain much muscle (although I didn't lose any either - gained about 1.5 lb. lean muscle). I was looking over everyone's results and it seems that those that lost the most weight gained the least amount of muscle. I suppose it's just incredibly hard to gain muscle while eating at a calorie deficit. I figured that would be the case, but it is really obvious when I look at the all of our results. Those who lost the least amount of weight gained on average about 3-5 lbs. of muscle!

That does kind of clarify where I want to go in the next few months though. I'm going to focus on getting the weight off now, and then building muscle when I'm down closer to 20% bodyfat (I'm at about 35% right now - so a long way to go). Wish you could do both at once, but it doesn't seem possible! Until then, I don't expect to see much progress at the gym, except for things like pullups where bodyweight is a big factor.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my primal creation of the day, coconut milk custard.

Going to enjoy it after dinner (baja citrus tilapia, yum!). Also had the pleasure of making and later consuming coconut milk egg nog as my post workout recovery drink ;)

Check it out if you're bored, or whatev-
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com/2011/03/i-like-mondays.html
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Here is my creation for the night, well it's an adaptation from Paula Dean.

Cheeseburger Meatloaf

Original recipe

1 lb ground chuck
    10 slices of bacon
    1 (8oz) package sharp cheddar cheese grated
    2 large eggs
    1/2 large onion
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/3 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoon mustard
    1 3 0z can french fried onions

preheat oven 350

in large bowl combine ground chuck and next nine ingredients, mix well

in small bowl combine ketchup and mustard, stir 1/4 cup ketchup mixture into meat mixture, reserving remainder

press meat into 9x5 loaf pan, spread remaining ketchup mixture on top of loaf, bake 40min, top with french fried onions bake another 10-15 mins

Changes I made, no bread crumbs, mayo, ketchup, and french fried onions

used 2 tablespoons tomato paste with mustard mixed into meat mixture did not spread any on top.

Here are the stats

Calories Carbs Fat Protein

total 2639 8 206 186

per serving (1/6) 440 1 34 31
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    unfortunately the bread crumbs aren't Primal. Anyone know a good substitution for bread crumbs? I'd love to try freerange's recipe!

EDIT: NM, freerange, I just read that you left out the breadcrumbs. Doh! Silly me, SVS
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    unfortunately the bread crumbs aren't Primal. Anyone know a good substitution for bread crumbs? I'd love to try freerange's recipe!

EDIT: NM, freerange, I just read that you left out the breadcrumbs. Doh! Silly me, SVS

Organic, free range pork skins are a splendid substitute for bread crumbs, same consistency and everything..........I use a rolling pin and put them in a zip lock bag and roll, roll, roll..........then store in an air tight container in the fridge for when you need them,
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a wonderful substitute! Crushed walnuts, pine nuts would work beautifully! If you simply must use bread, Sisson recommends rye bread
  • ceebs9
    Options
    I use almond flour a lot to sub for breadings.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I tried almond flour as breading and it was just nas-tay :(
  • AshCarlson
    AshCarlson Posts: 122
    Options
    I use almond flour a lot to sub for breadings.

Where can you buy this? I'd like to at least try it!!!
  • ceebs9
    Options

Really? A lot of times I'll mix some with garlic salt and coat pork chops with it, fry 'em up and my kids devour them.

Ash-I get it at Trader Joe's. You can also make your own if you have a good food processor.
  • ceebs9
    Options
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the 'Roo Carol!! I'll substitute with pork loin (also dense protein!) But yummy recipe

Well, day two of Paleo - I did have some white potato in my spinach casserole - more for my husband and children...
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I made Primal Mexican Casserole last night... sausage, spinach, cream cheese... mmmm!
  • ceebs9
    Options
    Not sure about the 'Roo Carol!! I

Chicken! :tongue:
  • AshCarlson
    AshCarlson Posts: 122
    Options

Really? A lot of times I'll mix some with garlic salt and coat pork chops with it, fry 'em up and my kids devour them.

Ash-I get it at Trader Joe's. You can also make your own if you have a good food processor.

Thanks Carol! I am definitely going to get some this weekend :) Pork chops are a house favorite!