Palelo Support Group?

Options
Anyone doing the Paleo diet or some form of and would like to start a support/advice group? This is only my 2nd day on it and I need some help!? It's hard. I would love to have some advice/tips/support from people that have been doing it longer!

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    bump, I know there's not many of us, but there's gotta be somebody!? anybody?
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I did the Paleo diet for about 3 weeks and now am currently modifying it a little! It is definitely tough at first, but you lose the cravings for processed foods very quickly!
  • MissKim
    Options
    What's your modified version? I'm still eating dairy and dairy products. I've only cut out all grains and sugars/refined sugars. The day time isn't so bad, but when I get home, I crave carbs soooo bad! I swear I could eat a whole loaf of bread by myself! and it's only day 2!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I follow it 85%. the other 15% is calories from cheat foods. What source are you using for info on Paleo? Book? Web? I'm sure the Primal Blueprint folks will be along at sometime to. There's also dedicated forums at other web sites. I know cross fit use to have an active one. stick this in google "paleo forum"

You can create one but it will get locked around 500 responses and you would have to start an new one with references back the the old ones. MFP should create sub-forums for the different nutrition plans.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    What's your modified version? I'm still eating dairy and dairy products. I've only cut out all grains and sugars/refined sugars. The day time isn't so bad, but when I get home, I crave carbs soooo bad! I swear I could eat a whole loaf of bread by myself! and it's only day 2!!!

Give it much more time. You'll go through withdrawal, cold turkey is tough. I felt hungover for quite a while, but it eases up as you go.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Hey Pyro! I've read alot of posts you've made, I've kinda been stalking you for a couple days, sorry ;) but I checked out the websites you offered too. I've read alot on it. Alot of the versions differ! The reason I started it is b/c a doctor at a weight loss clinic put my friend on a version of the diet. So I thought I would try it with her. The more research I do on it, the more I like the "idea" of it. I'm sure I won't be 100% either, but I really need to get off the carbs and sugars. My cravings are horrible, and my only reason for failure!

If I could get a few friends on here that are doing it, we could always keep opening a new one. I do that with another group I've been in for over a year. but it would be nice to have some friends that are eating the way I eat.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing just what you're doing. Cut out one thing at a time. I know there's a school of thought suggesting cutting everything out for 30 days and then adding things like dairy back in to see how you respond, but if that's too hard, just take it a step at a time. For me, cutting out the grains made a HUGE difference and the cravings did go away fairly quickly. I add in cottage cheese every once in awhile and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect. Good luck!
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I am doing the same mostly 85% and 15% other foods not Paleo. I have found that dairy is important and I often use fat free shredded cheese to add flavor and protein to a variety of meals. It also doesn't taste bad! Another example is protein shakes, they're not Paleo, but so important when trying to aleviate post workout soreness!

I reccomend purcharsing the book "Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson. It is an eye opener and will make your journey not so difficult when you realize the HUGE difference in eating habits. Also, marksdailyapple.com is a great resource as Mark Sisson regularly posts recipes and helpful fitness tips!

Remember it takes 21 days to make anything a habit, you're already 2 days down only 19 days to go! You can do it!
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Hey Pyro! I've read alot of posts you've made, I've kinda been stalking you for a couple days, sorry ;) but I checked out the websites you offered too. I've read alot on it. Alot of the versions differ! The reason I started it is b/c a doctor at a weight loss clinic put my friend on a version of the diet. So I thought I would try it with her. The more research I do on it, the more I like the "idea" of it. I'm sure I won't be 100% either, but I really need to get off the carbs and sugars. My cravings are horrible, and my only reason for failure!

If I could get a few friends on here that are doing it, we could always keep opening a new one. I do that with another group I've been in for over a year. but it would be nice to have some friends that are eating the way I eat.

It you find it being a hard start, maybe cold turkey quitting all the grains/refined/process isn't the best idea. Maybe add some fake entries in MFP to see how many grams of the bad you were getting and the serving sizes. Then taper them off over time.

Say you had 200 grams of the bad most days and ate them in large portions at one sitting.

Week 1 150 grams and takes 200 calories out of daily intake
    Week2 100 grams " " 400 "
    etc. You're weened off in 28 days. Stay off a couple more weeks, then consider adding them back in as cheat calories or in open meals.

Can also replace those with some fruit.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I'm in for the group thing. I'd like to focus more on what I do in the forums then always be all over the map. Hopefully MFP will start adding sub forums to organize subjects better. All the current ones could use subs. They could enlist volunteer moderators in good standing with the site.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I am also in for the group thing as well! The more support the better :smile:
  • MissKim
    Options
    yAH! I just subscribed to sisson's newsletter on marksdailyapple and I ordered the book. So maybe I won't be so "dumb" about this diet before long. but any tips and advice you guys have to offer would be great! Everything he says makes so much sense! Even the part about getting sun. I always feel so much better when it's summer and I've been in the sun. and I've always thought that all the chemicals in sunblock and tanning oil were probably worse for you than the sun itself. Yeah, limit your exposure, too much of anything is bad, but I don't think some sun is bad.

I don't think I want to keep eating starchy carbs at all, even though I'm sure it would be easier to wean myself off of them. but i'm a strong person. i think i would rather suffer for a couple weeks and get it out of my system! some carbs=worse cravings for me. and i don't want to prolong the cravings. How long did it take you guys to start feeling better after you started the diet?
  • MissKim
    Options
    Yall come up with some ideas of names we can call our group?? it needs to be something that is obviously a paleo/primal eating group, so we don't have all the skeptics trying to ruin our thread. which by the way, there are alot of people that think this diet is the devil!? I don't get it? it's so natural, even if you are a skeptic, how can you be against meat and veggies? really?
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I felt "off" for about 6 weeks. Real "off" the first three and off and on the rest of the time.
  • MissKim
    Options
    so your saying i'm never going to just feel good?? :(
  • MissKim
    Options
    when do the cravings go away? do they ever?
  • jurgitafit
    Options
    Marksdailyapple is a great website in general, not only the book. There is so much good info there! :happy:
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    when do the cravings go away? do they ever?

They do go away. And you will feel good. Giving up grains was the best thing for me. My stomach is never gurgly anymore. And you know how you can wake up and feel all thin and like your stomach is sorta flat, but as soon as you eat you feel poochy again? Doesn't happen to me anymore. I'm convinced it was the grains.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    so your saying i'm never going to just feel good?? :(

No, I meant first 3 weeks rough, next 3 on and off, then fine. You might get them back if you binge those carbs at all afterwords, but it goes away rather quick,
  • MissKim
    Options
    Yah! Sorry Pyro, I misunderstood! glad to here that. what is six weeks in the grand scheme of things?? how do you guys feel about fake sugars? do you drink diet sodas or chew sugarless gum??