Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You know what sucks for me? We don't have any good supermarkets around here! I guess that's what I get for living in such a small town! The only grocery stores we have are walmart, food world, and foodland. which all suck. hardly anything is sold organic, and i've yet to find anything grassfed.

It's not just small towns... I live in the Philadelphia area and our supermarkets are horrible here too... I've tried 4 different ones within 30 min of my house. Best produce is still at Aldi's. No true farmer's markets or butcher shops unless I want to make an hour drive... you'd think these things would be "available" in a big city. Guess not! :grumble:

I thought the market in downtown Philly was decent... I barely remember...
    I just wish more of our supermarkets would catch onto the organic meat thing. Right now it's only Chicken & Pork... Some have Bison and Venison but I can never find beef - and when I do it's never fresh, but frozen.

Pyro - Haha on living forever. As someone who just lost her Dad... rethink how you feel, it may make a big difference to someone :flowerforyou:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Sorry Pam, that sucks.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes. I was close to creating a post in search of folks who are doing Paleo/Primal. Let's start a support group.
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when do the cravings go away? do they ever?

They do go away. And you will feel good. Giving up grains was the best thing for me. My stomach is never gurgly anymore. And you know how you can wake up and feel all thin and like your stomach is sorta flat, but as soon as you eat you feel poochy again? Doesn't happen to me anymore. I'm convinced it was the grains.

I can relate to that feeling.. even though, my stomach is not flat at the moment - quite the apple shape. Eating oats or grains for breakfast for instance, would immediately make me feel overly ful/heavy and by the end of the day, my stomach is huge. This is why I'm trying the Paleo/Primal again.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I miss about living in Ireland. All the beef was grass fed. Of course if you went out to eat everything was also served with potatoes or chips and the bread was hard to pass up.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    that's the problem i have with going to eat in the us! everything is served with bread! and bread is my weakness! but i'm going to overcome it!

Welcome lil miss nan, glad you found us!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Yeah...trying to be perfect can make you poor, crazy, or both. I probably eat a little less meat than most paleo folks because I can't be perfect. I eat more eggs than anything else. I can afford good quality eggs, and they are much easier to find. So, you just do what you can. Make good choices where you can and don't' worry about the rest.

On a side note...philly isn't that bad...the amish sell raw and organic dairy, and there are a few farmers markers and small co-ops. No big box organic carrying supermarkets outside of Whole Foods...but not exactly a wasteland. At least not any moreso than the rest of the east coast. Yes...we suffer from living so far away from the agricultural growing regions. Although...if you live close to west philadelphia..the small mariposa food co-op is expanding to become the big mariposa co-op. I'm pretty excited. Okay. Enough philadelphia talk.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm up in the Far NE...... not much in this area in the way of "natural".... whole foods and TJ's are not too far, but it's a special trip. The only Amish market I found so far was in Bristol, but it seemed to be "americanized" (lots of hot pretzels and fried chicken).

We're shopping for a house in Bucks Co. right now - so hopefully after we purchase and move and such I can source out some local farms and make a special "stock up" trip, I think there are some in the doylestown area. :bigsmile:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I feel very fortunate to be able to have access to raw dairy and farm raised meats, farmers markets with locally grown vegetables.

I lived in Columbia, MO for over 15 years... we had all of those resources there too (I miss raw dairy!), plus a nice large natural foods store.... Philly, we got tastykakes and cheesesteaks. :grumble:

Yes, I am in the same area of the country. I live about 20 miles from downtown st louis on the Illinois side.
  • annaleesilva
    Options
    I am with you all the way! Bread is my weakness as well.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Everyone got so quiet! How is everyone doing?

I'm good here!! still losing and I haven't cheated at all this week!! and I don't plan on cheating this weekend! (another weakness) My birthday is next friday and I really want to be below 200!! I started my pregnancy last year in april at 198 and got up to 246. and was 238 post pregnany!! So if I can reach 199! I will be one happy mama!! and that will be 39 pounds down since I had dj!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Can't remember if I joined your little group or not, but if not... "hi!"

I do Primal Blueprint, which is similar to Paleo. Started PB in mid Jan. Haven't really lost any weight, but I did drop a pant & shirt size, and got off of glucophage. I also have a lot more power during workouts (blowing through an 8.5 mph sprint like it's no big deal when I used to pant and die on a 4? done!)

My weakness is converting conventional recipes into primal ones... that includes goodies like brownies and cookies. I have been trying really hard to avoid it this last week, but my computer is right next to the kitchen and the stupid stove keeps calling me!
  • immacookie
    Options
    Hey Trish! Congrats on dropping the sizes!! I'm still waiting for either size or weight to move... although a couple of co-workers have told me that my face looks thinner/less puffy :huh:
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been doing mostly Paleo (probably actually closer to Primal, since I have my occasional cheats) since last November, and with that and crossfit, I've lost over 40 lbs and 4 pant sizes. I stick to meats and egss, veggies and fruit, but I still have Spark in the morning (like Crystal Light plus caffeine - it replaced a wicked diet Coke habit :blushing: ), and a Dove dark chocolate pretty much every night. I also eat random "cheats" like Cardini's caesar dressing and protein shakes.

I'm not 100% convinced by the evolutionary advantage stuff, but I know that this is by far the easiest "diet" (diet = way of eating) that I've stuck to. I think it's mostly the low-carb thing - I have zero cravings now, which is just amazing. There were many many days where I would eat NOTHING but carbs. Ugh. No wonder I was so overweight!

Glad to find other paleo / primal folks here! Now, can someone point me in the direction of a cross fit thread??? :tongue:
  • Grokette
    Options
    Can't remember if I joined your little group or not, but if not... "hi!"

I do Primal Blueprint, which is similar to Paleo. Started PB in mid Jan. Haven't really lost any weight, but I did drop a pant & shirt size, and got off of glucophage. I also have a lot more power during workouts (blowing through an 8.5 mph sprint like it's no big deal when I used to pant and die on a 4? done!)

My weakness is converting conventional recipes into primal ones... that includes goodies like brownies and cookies. I have been trying really hard to avoid it this last week, but my computer is right next to the kitchen and the stupid stove keeps calling me!

Try this Brownie Recipe out:

INGREDIENTS:

6 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. raw honey
    1/2 c. cocoa powder
    1/4 c. coconut flour
    1-2 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut for topping(optional)
    Ground nuts for topping (optional)

Mix together all of the ingredients in a bowl except for the coconut topping. In a loaf pan (it doesn't make very many brownies), spray with Canola cooking spray. Add batter. Sprinkle batter with unsweetened coconut. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Serve with berries on top. This is like hot chocolate on a plate; you're welcome. :)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That brownie recipe sounds great! Once I get the ingredients, I'm gonna try it out.

I'm doing Primal Blueprint, too, and finding it easier and tastier than any other eating plan I've ever tried. Doing pretty well at keeping carb grams at <100 most days this past week.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    labgirl-There's a few of us around here doing Crossfit. Check out the Calling all Women Lifters thread. I think that's what it's called.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    although a couple of co-workers have told me that my face looks thinner/less puffy :huh:

Yeah, I get that a lot too. Hubby says everything seems like it is redistributing itself right now.

Dear giant thighs and ugly gut, can you redistribute yourself to thin air, plz? K, thx!
  • immacookie
    Options
    ^ agreed :laugh:
  • Grokette
    Options
    My stomach, chest, back and arms seem to be shrinking, however my butt and legs are still the same so far. I always look weight in my bottom half of my body last, I lose from the top down.........