Palelo Support Group?

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Hmm, used a teaspoon in a 12# omelet pan , might have to wait a little longer to flip 'em over.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    We had the tornados come through north bama night before last, it was scary. I hate storms like that!! we were lucky enough not to have any damage though. Hope everything gets fixed back up for ya soon Grokette.

I used coconut oil to fry some eggs this weekend too. couldn't really tell a difference. so i guess it's a good thing that they still tasted good!

Hey Ash!! glad to see you back!

I did good this weekend. I had one lil cheat friday night. a glass of wine and a small piece of cheesecake. honestly the cheesecake wasn't even that great. but the wine was, can't lie! lol but didn't seem to affect my weightloss b/c i'm still down!

Well, gotta get some work done ttyl
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    We had the tornados come through north bama night before last, it was scary. I hate storms like that!! we were lucky enough not to have any damage though. Hope everything gets fixed back up for ya soon Grokette.

I used coconut oil to fry some eggs this weekend too. couldn't really tell a difference. so i guess it's a good thing that they still tasted good!

Hey Ash!! glad to see you back!

I did good this weekend. I had one lil cheat friday night. a glass of wine and a small piece of cheesecake. honestly the cheesecake wasn't even that great. but the wine was, can't lie! lol but didn't seem to affect my weightloss b/c i'm still down!

Well, gotta get some work done ttyl

What brand of coconut oil do you use? We use Nutiva brand and it has a mild coconut taste, but not enough to tell. I like the clean taste that it gives. I like to cook eggs in bacon grease too though.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    I had to go to Super Supplements to find coconut oil. Tried my usual grocery stores, even Trader Joe's, and nada.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    So what is the secret to frying an egg in coconut oil? Do I need enough oil so it can't pool up in the pan? In the old days I used bacon grease, etc but the bottom of the pan was always entirely covered. Must find a cheaper source of oil too. $9 a quart at the big box grocery is not gonna work. Hopefully the Asian market will be cheaper. I imagine, since coconut is almost all saturated fat, it could be re-used a couple times?

Are the eggs sticking to the pan? I've found that a good quality non-stick skillet is the key - I don't even really need ANY fat! I usually use about a tsp of coconut oil (Spectrum brand at our local grocery store, HEB) or grass-fed dairy butter or bacon fat and don't have any problem at all. I don't go through a ton of fat so the coconut oil is fine with me! A quart would probably last me 6 months to a year!
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Tornadoes - yikes! Hope everyone is ok! Nothing scarier than tornadoes IMO - they can come out of nowhere, and there's not much you can do about it.

I've been participating in a 7 week challenge at my Crossfit gym, and we weigh in and measure on Friday, then do a WOD (workout of the day) on Saturday - the same one we did at the beginning of the challenge - to see how much we've improved. I know I've lost at least 10 lbs or so, but I'm really curious to see how much body fat and how many inches I've lost. I'm kind of bummed it's almost over - may need to start another challenge on here to keep me on track!

Going out to the Melting Pot for fondue tonight - it's a once a year treat for the cookie moms in our Girl Scout service unit, so we've been planning for a while now. My plan is to stick to veggies and apples with the cheese fondue (I rarely eat dairy, so I'm not terribly worried about it tonight), eat plenty of meat, and go light on the dessert. I've been fine with just a bite for the past few months, so hope it sticks tonight. Oh, and I made myself designated driver, which gives me a convenient excuse not to drink! :drinker: Hopefully the damage isn't too bad!!
  • Good morning!! I am trucking along this morning. We had a tornado last night so I am waiting for the insurance company to come out and evaluate.

I got some good exercise this morning picking up nails from our fence and shingles from the roof that flew off. I think that is the only damage we have, roof and fence damage.

We had a wicked and wild ride last night.

I sure hope that you're okay!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    pyro, I cook my bacon first, then do my eggs in the leftover bacon fat/grease.

Frickin' hungry today! Pushing 1800 cals with no end in sight. 'Bout ready to bust open the 4 lb corned beef roast in the fridge and hork it down!

As for hot breakfasts, I have an alternative. Chop up an apple, and some walnuts. Melt down butter. Toss with apple & walnuts (it will make them warm), sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine well. Enjoy its deliciousness!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    So what is the secret to frying an egg in coconut oil? Do I need enough oil so it can't pool up in the pan? In the old days I used bacon grease, etc but the bottom of the pan was always entirely covered. Must find a cheaper source of oil too. $9 a quart at the big box grocery is not gonna work. Hopefully the Asian market will be cheaper. I imagine, since coconut is almost all saturated fat, it could be re-used a couple times?

Are the eggs sticking to the pan? I've found that a good quality non-stick skillet is the key - I don't even really need ANY fat! I usually use about a tsp of coconut oil (Spectrum brand at our local grocery store, HEB) or grass-fed dairy butter or bacon fat and don't have any problem at all. I don't go through a ton of fat so the coconut oil is fine with me! A quart would probably last me 6 months to a year!

With any oil that pools up they tend to stick. They won't stick with butter or nothing at all. Nothing at all actually works best.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Will one of you kick my *kitten* and remind me how much better I feel and perform when I don't eat crap? For God's sake. I've lost my mind!
  • Grokette
    Will one of you kick my *kitten* and remind me how much better I feel and perform when I don't eat crap? For God's sake. I've lost my mind!

Here is your swift kick!!! Now get your *kitten* back in gear.

You want energy, sleeping well and the overall good feeling to come back!!! No more aches and pains.

Is this enough reasons????
  • AshCarlson
    AshCarlson Posts: 122

Just remember that any food that gives you instant satisfaction doesn't give you life satisfaction! Those crappy foods are only there to remind you of what a strong individual you are for eating healthy and exercising daily! You are a strong woman and don't let the "crap" foods take that away from you!
  • MissKim
    Good Morning Guys, yeah, so my birthday is friday, and I'm having a party sat night at my house, and going clubbing afterwards. that means lots of fried chicken, birthday cake, and alcohol. I'm also getting some meat and veggies trays. I have a plan. I know it's not going to be perfect, but I'm going to try to stick to it. Most of my cheating is going to come from drinks! b/c I haven't drank much at all in the past year b/c of being pregnant and now breastfeeding. but sat i am. anybody got any tips? advice? warnings? anything?
  • ceebs9
    Ok, ok. Thanks for the support. I've written down my meals (Paleo) and will stick with it. No eating out of boredom or eating crap food.

Miss Kim-My advice is to enjoy your birthday!
  • AshCarlson
    Great job! See, just keep us around for motivation!

@ MissKim- Enjoy your birthday! You deserve it for working so hard!
  • Grokette
    Good Morning Guys, yeah, so my birthday is friday, and I'm having a party sat night at my house, and going clubbing afterwards. that means lots of fried chicken, birthday cake, and alcohol. I'm also getting some meat and veggies trays. I have a plan. I know it's not going to be perfect, but I'm going to try to stick to it. Most of my cheating is going to come from drinks! b/c I haven't drank much at all in the past year b/c of being pregnant and now breastfeeding. but sat i am. anybody got any tips? advice? warnings? anything?

Happy Birthday!!!
  • ceebs9
    Just wanted to share this website with you guys. It's sort of a compilation of paleo recipes from lots of different sites all in one place. I *liked* it on FB and now get to see daily recipes when I check FB, rather than having to remember to go check out the site. Just an idea if you're looking for new food ideas.

Have a great day. And thanks again for the encouragement. Had a great day yesterday and actually even logged my food. Shocker.

edited to actually add the link because I'm a moron. :huh:

http://www.thefoodee.co/
  • MissKim
    Thanks guys!!! kinda depressed about turning 27, but still excited about having some much needed fun!! and a little anxious about my first full night without dj! but i'm sure it'll be okay!
  • AshCarlson
    Just wanted to share this website with you guys. It's sort of a compilation of paleo recipes from lots of different sites all in one place. I *liked* it on FB and now get to see daily recipes when I check FB, rather than having to remember to go check out the site. Just an idea if you're looking for new food ideas.

Have a great day. And thanks again for the encouragement. Had a great day yesterday and actually even logged my food. Shocker.

Thanks for this cbarber! What a great resource! How are you feeling this week? I have to admit that I'm feeling drained! I just don't know what to do to amp up my energy! Any suggestions?
  • Grokette

Thanks for this cbarber! What a great resource! How are you feeling this week? I have to admit that I'm feeling drained! I just don't know what to do to amp up my energy! Any suggestions?

Add additional fat to your eating plan. Fat is burned as energy!! It is like gas for our bodies. :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.