Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Great Job Ash!! I thought about trying a fast, but I think I'd better get more into this diet first. My sugar drops real low if I don't eat for a few hours, so I know a fast would be awful for me! But I'm very proud of you!!

I did good this weekend, but I had one lil slip up. It's so hard to not eat carbs!!! Esp when going out to eat or eating on the run. I had mexican and ordered a fajita, i wasn't going to have any tortillas, but i caved and had some chips and cheese dip :( I'm so ashamed! but today is a new day! and I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought tons of healthy options! Grocery shopping is pretty easy when you only visit the produce, meat, and nut sections!

This week is going to be a good week!!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Where do you set your MFP carb/protein/fat ratios for Paleo/Primal? So far, I've adjusted mine to 45%carb/25%protein/30%fat. I haven't had any trouble working within the calorie goals or being hungry, but my fat and protein goals are still off a bit.

30 protein 40 carb 30 fat for me but i think I'm going to up my fat and change to 30/35/35 or 35/30/35.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Great Job Ash!! I thought about trying a fast, but I think I'd better get more into this diet first. My sugar drops real low if I don't eat for a few hours, so I know a fast would be awful for me! But I'm very proud of you!!

I did good this weekend, but I had one lil slip up. It's so hard to not eat carbs!!! Esp when going out to eat or eating on the run. I had mexican and ordered a fajita, i wasn't going to have any tortillas, but i caved and had some chips and cheese dip :( I'm so ashamed! but today is a new day! and I went grocery shopping yesterday and bought tons of healthy options! Grocery shopping is pretty easy when you only visit the produce, meat, and nut sections!

This week is going to be a good week!!!!

When you up your fat and protein intake it balances the insulin response and allows your blood sugar levels to stay even and level without the highs and lows, therefore fasting is easy for many hours at a time.

Once you get over the carb cravings give it a try!!!
  • pyro13g
    Options
    @MissKim, just curious if you have been monitored to know that your sugar is actually dropping real low.
  • MissKim
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, I also was diagnosed with gestational diabetes while pregnant. I have my own sugar tester b/c of those things. with the low blood sugar i was on some meds for a while. metformin., but i didn't like the way it made me feel, and i decided i would just control that with my diet. I also was diagnosed with high blood pressure, but I've lost enough now that that is no longer a problem. Every doctor i see just trys to prescribe me meds, and i hate taking prescriptions. i also tried to see a doctor for my anxiety, and they put me on antidepressents and it was awful!!! every one i tried gave me horrible migraines. so now i am off all meds and have been for a couple years. i don't want to take any meds, i just want to eat right and feel healthy. but yeah, all that to answer your question (sorry i'm a rambler) yes, when i go without eating i get real shaky, cold sweats, etc, and i test my own sugar and can usually see that its dropped below 65. but that was while eating mostly carbs. so i'm experimenting with it now and testing ever so often trying to see what has changed. so far i can def tell i can go longer without eating. i didn't eat but once saturday, and never had the shakes or anything.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Kim--i never tested my blood sugar, but I used to feel like I had low blood sugar. Particularly when I tried to eat a mostly vegan diet...even when I loaded up on nuts and avocados, I found that if I didn't eat every 3 hours, I would get light headed and feel like I was going to faint...which was really hard to sustain when a 20 something working really long days! I had to drag so much food around with me all the time, you'd think I was hiding a gaggle of small children in a knapsack somewhere. When I changed my diet, as Grokette said, I did stop having that problem (of course, i never had a diagnosed health problem either...so, take that into consideration as well. Just sharing my personal experience.).

So, I'd suggest you keep experimenting with how your dietary changes are effecting your blood sugar. (Although, you also shouldn't feel compelled to try all kinds of dietary changes at once. If you're really worried about hypoglycemia, there's no reason why you have to try fasting right now. Its up to you.) If you get nothing else from this whole experience, it should be to figure out what works best for you...not in the abstract or what's the "best diet," but what makes you feel your best.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks pyro13g,

I changed my ratio to 35Carb/30Prot/35Fat, since that matches up reasonably well with what I've been eating the last week. Just found on Mark's Daily Apple that the recommended amount of good carbs for "Effortless Weight Loss" is 50-100 grams/day. and this ratio puts me just below 100g--attainable and so far, effective.
  • MissKim
    Options
    So far I have felt great on this diet. Yes, I have cravings and they suck, but I just do things to take my mind off of them. but I've already had more energy then I did before. and feel very light, even though I'm not! lol. but you know what i mean, not bloated or anything. no problems going a few hours without eating either. I'm loving it. just a question about the fasting thing, does the hours your sleeping count?? I don't think i'm going to try one anytime soon, but just for fyi. if you wanted to not eat anything after say 5pm and not eat anything til the next morning would that be considered a short fast? I'm sorry, I'm really new to this, just trying to learn. waiting on the book to come in the mail.
  • MissKim
    Options
    a couple other questions, do yall believe in drinking a ton of water a day? how much should we be drinking?

oh, and is it okay to eat things like slim jims and beef jerky? I'm having a hard time with snacks. almonds are getting old fast.

Thanks for yalls help!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Nice to know this place exists... and while right now I'm going through some personal difficulties - I'm staying mostly on track but my emotional drinking is really steering me off course.
    I went 100% cold turkey in November for 4 weeks. I lost 6 pounds all while maintaining my muscle mass (I crossfit). While CF and Paleo eating usually go hand in hand, I decided to try eating this way because of metabolic resistance (IR).
    I felt great, never tired
    less irritable
    slept more soundly
    I sweat less during my workouts
    muscle recovery was quicker, less DOMS

For me grains are not so hard to cut... my two achilles heels are dairy and alcohol. I love cheese and I seriously go through a tough first two weeks withdrawal. I love my wine too, but I found fermented Glutamine helps with the sugar craving, so I add a scoop of unflavored powder to my water.

Hope it's not too late to join you all... I'm on my way to getting back on the primal path.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    a couple other questions, do yall believe in drinking a ton of water a day? how much should we be drinking?

oh, and is it okay to eat things like slim jims and beef jerky? I'm having a hard time with snacks. almonds are getting old fast.

Thanks for yalls help!

Starting at 5pm and using sleep time as fast time is a good place to start. You really only need to be hydrated, light colored urine, and replacing liquids if your using caffeine or other diuretics(not prescribed) Some say gallon + of ice cold water for optimal fat loss(it takes like 140 some calories to warm it up to be absorbed). I've done both the super hydration and just my normal daily thing with not difference in results so it's "busted" for me. They say your body adjusts to the high volume of water but I never did. Having to urinate every 20 minutes is not fun and near impossible unless you are home all day.

Slim Jims and jerky are going to be high in sodium so you'll have to watch it.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I've also found that snacks with high in sodium actually make it harder to feel hydrated. I recommend having dried fruit around at all times. Also, good snacks to have are available for nuts too. You can purchase small bags to just keep in your purse! I do this and have found them at Costco!
  • MissKim
    Options
    I'm trying to stay away from fruit as much as possible, I know it spikes my sugar. so basically when i want a snack i mostly just eat raw almonds.

Thanks yall for the tips and advice.

How many grams of fat would be considered too many?? protein too?
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I'm trying to stay away from fruit as much as possible, I know it spikes my sugar. so basically when i want a snack i mostly just eat raw almonds.

There is an excerpt from Cordains book with a chart it in it here. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Paleo-Diet/Loren-Cordain/e/9780471267553#EXC

Personally, I think one better be very careful what type of fatty acids and their ratios of them are, when going above half of calories from fat for extended periods. I think the jury is still out a bit out on fats. Even when wild game was it's fattest, and they gorged, that's still pretty low - moderate percentage of fat to protein.

There is such a thing a protein toxicity, but you shouldn't have to worry about that unless that's all you eat for prolonged periods. Easy enough to just google and decide what level you want to set as max.
  • Grokette
    Options

There is an excerpt from Cordains book with a chart it in it here. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Paleo-Diet/Loren-Cordain/e/9780471267553#EXC

Personally, I think one better be very careful what type of fatty acids and their ratios of them are, when going above half of calories from fat for extended periods. I think the jury is still out a bit out on fats. Even when wild game was it's fattest, and they gorged, that's still pretty low - moderate percentage of fat to protein.

There is such a thing a protein toxicity, but you shouldn't have to worry about that unless that's all you eat for prolonged periods. Easy enough to just google and decide what level you want to set as max.

I eat upwards of 60-65 % fat daily. I keep my protein moderate.

One important thing to impart is that I tend to eat long chain and medium chain saturated fats. They are natural occurring (animal fats and coconut oil), keep me full for long periods of time and keep my blood sugar stable.

I find that if I eat too much protein, my blood sugar spikes and causes hunger. Fat keeps me full and this works for me.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Good Morning!

How is everyone doing?

You know what sucks for me? We don't have any good supermarkets around here! I guess that's what I get for living in such a small town! The only grocery stores we have are walmart, food world, and foodland. which all suck. hardly anything is sold organic, and i've yet to find anything grassfed. and i know i could order meat offline, but i make 14,000 a year right now with a new 3 month old baby and a hubby that is going to school full time, so that's not happening! any advice on things i could do to help with not being able to have the "natural" stuff. even butter? what brand butter should i be using?

i got ahold of some deer meat, but that's not always available either. my mom has chickens, but she feeds them grains! go figure! by the way i could never kill my own chicken! lol, i'm talking about eating their eggs! i know our ancestors used to kill their own food, but all i got to say is Thank GOD I don't have to do that b/c it would be bad!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    You know what sucks for me? We don't have any good supermarkets around here! I guess that's what I get for living in such a small town! The only grocery stores we have are walmart, food world, and foodland. which all suck. hardly anything is sold organic, and i've yet to find anything grassfed.

It's not just small towns... I live in the Philadelphia area and our supermarkets are horrible here too... I've tried 4 different ones within 30 min of my house. Best produce is still at Aldi's. No true farmer's markets or butcher shops unless I want to make an hour drive... you'd think these things would be "available" in a big city. Guess not! :grumble:
  • Grokette
    Options
    I feel very fortunate to be able to have access to raw dairy and farm raised meats, farmers markets with locally grown vegetables.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I feel very fortunate to be able to have access to raw dairy and farm raised meats, farmers markets with locally grown vegetables.

I lived in Columbia, MO for over 15 years... we had all of those resources there too (I miss raw dairy!), plus a nice large natural foods store.... Philly, we got tastykakes and cheesesteaks. :grumble:
  • pyro13g
    Options
    All the industry groups for Beef, Pork, etc. have lists of leanest cuts. My grocer carries High Plains Bison but all grass fed is special order at over $2.00 an once. Yeah $16 a pound for Strip Steak isn't going to happen. Premium is grain fed for at least 3 months before harvesting. I just do the best I can within my budget. I also don't want to live forever, I can't afford it.