Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's take on eating dairy? I've seen some people say to stay away from it altogether, while others seem to think it's okay? Do yall drink only whole milk and real cheese? no american? this stuff is really hard to do! I think the hardest thing for me, besides getting over not having bread or cakes ;( will be learning to love veggies, i've never been a big veggie person

I do what Pyro does with the 85% Paleo and 15% non. It is just sometimes so hard to keep all natural foods for some things. I have found that fat free cheddar shredded cheese is really a life savor in getting the large amount of protein I would like for some meals. I do drink skim milk, but I get organic. What are you thinking about trying?

Well, I am drinking 1% milk, and eating cheese. Just not sure if it's what is best for me. I have a 2 month old and I am breastfeeding. (by the way, do yall think this diet will affect that in any way?) anyways, he has really bad gas, and I'm thinking it's b/c of all the milk i drink and the cheese i eat. and the best way for me to find out would be to cut dairy out. but i just love it so much! but if it would help him, i would try it. but just the idea of eating nothing but meat and veggies seems rough. maybe if i just cut the milk out, that would help? maybe i'm drinking too much? my diary is open, i'm trying my best to do this, i welcome any of yall to check it out anytime and offer advice and tips, even to let me know if i'm doing something right. btw, my birthday is in a couple weeks, and i am planning on going out and getting wasted (hope theres no judgement!) but i haven't drank since before i got pregnant which has been over a year ago and i haven't been out either. how do you think this will affect my diet, if i have a cheat night??
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Well, I am drinking 1% milk, and eating cheese. Just not sure if it's what is best for me. I have a 2 month old and I am breastfeeding. (by the way, do yall think this diet will affect that in any way?) anyways, he has really bad gas, and I'm thinking it's b/c of all the milk i drink and the cheese i eat. and the best way for me to find out would be to cut dairy out. but i just love it so much! but if it would help him, i would try it. but just the idea of eating nothing but meat and veggies seems rough. maybe if i just cut the milk out, that would help? maybe i'm drinking too much? my diary is open, i'm trying my best to do this, i welcome any of yall to check it out anytime and offer advice and tips, even to let me know if i'm doing something right. btw, my birthday is in a couple weeks, and i am planning on going out and getting wasted (hope theres no judgement!) but i haven't drank since before i got pregnant which has been over a year ago and i haven't been out either. how do you think this will affect my diet, if i have a cheat night??

No judgment here! I am with you, my best friend from PA is coming to visit in TX and I plan to do the same :smile:

I think that possibly you should look into what is best for you since you are breastfeeding. I think that maybe cutting back on dairy may help. Are you taking supplements?
  • MissKim
    Options
    Yes, I take a pre-natal vitamin everyday. I really don't think eating no grains or sugar will affect anything, b/c hey, those things are bad for you! so therefore would be bad for my baby, right? as long as I'm getting enough vitamins and nutrients from the healthy food I'm eating. If anything DJ (my baby) is overfed! Probably from all the junk I was eating! He was 15lbs at his 2 month appt! He is the biggest baby in his daycare class but yet the youngest! so def not malnourished. and if I noticed he was losing weight instead of gaining i would take a look at how i'm eating again. but from what i know about it, even if i was lacking anything, it would hurt me, not him. he gets what he needs first. and if i'm going to "believe" that grains and sugars are not required in our diet, then that should be "believed" in all circumstances. If "cavemen" ate this way, then they also ate this way bearing children. Yes, I've thought alot about this ;) and as far as the dairy thing, I really feel in my gut, i should cut it down a bit. i thought maybe it was the protein shakes that were causing his gas, but i'm thinking its more dairy than that. protein shouldn't cause him to have gas. right?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    High protein diets often cause gas. I think you are worrying to much, sound stressed. Eat a healthy diet that satisfies you and just let your baby feed. Dairy is not on the menu in the Paleo I follow so it goes in my cheat bucket(that 15%). I'm getting wasted for my B-Day so no judgment from me. I love cheese, but oh well.
  • MissKim
    Options
    You are right Pyro, I do tend to worry too much, and over analyze everything! drives me crazy!! I'm just going to eat as healthy as I can and hope that's enough! and I do plan on trying to cut dairy out. a little at a time.
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Mind if join?

Today is my day 1 Paleo "reboot" Last year I went head first into Paleo. I found that the only way I was able to do it was go 100% cold turkey. I went 3 months, lost 35lbs and started to slowly fall off. Since then I have completely fallen off and went extreme into the junk food/fast food and gained all my weight plus some back. Today I call my "reboot" because I am back to 100% cold turkey.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I go to a Crossfit gym, so the workouts vary. Today is a strength day focusing on squat cleans. As for when to fast. Yes. It's much easier for me to go from afternoon to afternoon. I know other people who find that difficult. Some times when I fast it's only a 12 hour to 18 hour fast. And I only fast occasionally. There are so many options out there.

I think I will need to look into Crossfit, unfortunately though the gyms are just so expensive! How often do you go? Any other advice for working out at just a basic gym or outdoors?

I think I'm going to try my first fast this weekend!

I spent a year living in Ireland doing CF workouts on my own in a hotel gym. But I'd already had instruction in all the lifts and stuff before that. It is $$, but the amount of personal training you get makes it worth it for me. BUT, that's because I can afford it. Not everyone can. I know several people who just follow the CF main site, but most of those people know what they're doing. It's impossible (or nearly anyway) to learn proper technique for snatches and power cleans and whatnot just from watching a youtube video.

I do have a website i can post that lists workouts you can do at home or on vacation that don't require equipment. Or not much anyway. Let me know if you're interested.

As for dairy...I cut it all out when I started Paleo. Eventually I added it back in a little bit and found it doesn't bother me. I still rarely eat it, mostly because I don't care about it. Except for cheese. I love cheese. I just really limit it to special occasions now. And as for wine....I ain't giving it up.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Ofcourse your welcome Hilary, the more the merrier, esp since I've noticed there's not many of us ;) most people seem against our way of thinking. must be the strong addiction to carbs that causes such anger. lol
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Today turned into an open meal day. I forgot CISCO Systems was bringing lunch, Panera Bread Asiago Roast Beef. The carb crash should be coming very soon. Good thing is I don't have to pack for tomorrow, just throw my lunch sack in the fridge tonight.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Welcome Hillary! I'm glad to have you on here! Can you share any advice for us that are just beginning? I'm only on week 3!

Pyro- a cheat day every so often is not a bad thing :smile: I am in the same boat when it comes to dairy, I enjoy putting that in my 15% cheat "bucket" as you called it! Happy early Birthday!
  • MissKim
    Options
    So, don't make fun, but how do you calculate the 15%? is that like one meal a week? one thing a day? (like cheese), how do you determine if your not over doing the cheating thing?
    Yes, Hillary, I want tips and advice too!!

I feel like crap!!! Just so yal know. very tired and lethargic.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread. I've been doing about 80% for a month now. I do still consume full fat dairy (whole milk and full fat greek yogurt and very occasionally cheese). I'm trying to get my carbs down, but these sneaky veg keep bumping it up.

I haven't seen any amazing progress yet (weight loss or inches loss) but I understand that some people can take several months for their body to shift over.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    So, don't make fun, but how do you calculate the 15%? is that like one meal a week? one thing a day? (like cheese), how do you determine if your not over doing the cheating thing?

Total calories to eat for the week * .15 * 7.

Me = 1500 x .15 * 7 = 1575 for the week. No rules to how I eat them, spread out, one sitting, one meal, or daily.

Or compute it daily 1500 * .15 = 225 a day

It's usually a daily thing for me. often covers my muffin with eggs and a little something in my coffee or eating a burger in a bun with cheese.

I keep track on paper or notepad in my phone or in my head
  • AshCarlson
    Options

For me, its a mental note that i I ate primarily Paleo throughout the day, I am able to eat small things that are not. For example, the fat free shredded cheese or a skinny tall latte...those low calorie snacks are not part of the primal diet, but keep me sane!
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I found the 85/15 or 80/20 and even 90/10 split very hard personally. But I think it is because I lack will power. I know if I had a bite of macaroni and cheese, or just cheese in general I would not be able to stop.

Oh here is a tip for beginners that I was told when I started. the first week or two, do not work out. Because you are already tired and your body needs to adjust. you will get your energy back.. Promise!
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

I found the 85/15 or 80/20 and even 90/10 split very hard personally. But I think it is because I lack will power. I know if I had a bite of macaroni and cheese, or just cheese in general I would not be able to stop.

Oh here is a tip for beginners that I was told when I started. the first week or two, do not work out. Because you are already tired and your body needs to adjust. you will get your energy back.. Promise!

That is some interesting advice to not workout! Anyone else's thoughts?
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I guess I was lucky in that I never felt the low energy, "Paleo flu" symptoms. My advice would be to listen to your body, but don't let it be an excuse, ya know? I think I'd still work out, but just adjust my intensity.
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    AshCarlson, I was actually shocked that the gym trainer recommended that.. However part of it could have been also that I hadn't worked out in almost 5 years since before I had my kiddos. So he might have wanted to make sure I didn't hurt myself. I think that if you are listening to your body cues it will be ok. I tried to research it further after I posted that, but I am at work so my research didn't go far. I am still planning on walking twice a day on my work breaks.
    I will see what I can find when I get home on my work computer.
  • MissKim
    Options
    I almost gave in to binging...but i managed to eat an omelette instead. my honey was going to taco bell..and it took every ounce in me to say no, it was awful. i'm full now, but still sad. this is so hard. am i the only one this addicted to carbs that i'm having such a hard time?
  • pyro13g
    Options
    It's not usually easy at first. It gets easier and easier as you go. And, when the fat starts coming off, pretty nice.