Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I don't. I don't like the the trickery some say it plays on your system. Aspartame gives me migraines and I get them from another one when I grabbed a zero calorie item by accident. I jut stay away from them all because migraines really suck.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    HHHMMM....not sure i can give up the crystal light packets yet. Maybe after a couple weeks without grains or sugar I can :)
  • MissKim
    Options
    I only have like one flavor packet a day though, and i drink about 120 ozs of water a day that doesn't have flavoring in it.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I really don't think that little will hurt anything
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I have a question for you all with Paleo....what do you think/feel about Intermittent Fasting? I know that the "Primal Blueprint" mentions that women should fast for at least 24 hours every 8 days and men at least 24 hours every 5 or 6. Have either of you heard about this?

I would acutally like to try it, but scared I'm going to put myself into starvation mode!
  • MissKim
    Options
    I'm new at this, but look forward to hearing what everyone says about it. That's the part I'm having a hard time grasping about this diet? How is it good for your metabolism?? If you go longer periods without eating, even to the point of fasting? How is it a good thing to skip breakfast? it confuses me
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I'm hoping to get some answers too. I read that the old "hunter/gather" way of eating was so sporadic and yet effective. It would have to be a weekday that I fast because there is no way that I would even be able to on the weekends!

Read this article:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/#more-19683

This is why I am asking for others' opinions!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I thought I'd responded to this post this morning. Guess I'm a moron and forgot to hit post reply.

I recommend you guys reading up on the subject. You can search Mark's Daily Apple for info or Eat Stop Eat. Actually there are lots of different books on intermittent fasting. Google it and read up. I can't begin to rattle off the scientific stuff, but you really don't have to worry about starvation mode or metabolism when your just fasting 24 hours or less. Remember, this is INTERMITTENT fasting. You don't do it all the time. And again, it doesn't have to be 24 hours. Let's say you eat dinner at 7pm. Next morning you wake up, have some coffee, get the kids off to school, go to the gym, stop at the grocery store or laundry on the way home, put groceries away and take a shower and get dressed. Now it's 11am and you have successfully fasted for 16 hours. Easy.
  • MissKim
    Options
    well darn, i do that alot then! esp on the weekends, i'll sleep til 11 then forget to eat til that night. unfortunately in the past, what i do eat is full of carbs, so basically, i can keep my same habits, but just change what i eat when i do eat. I'm bad about skipping meals on weekends.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I don't plan any fasts but they happen naturally on a regular basis. I'm usually not even hungry on a weekend day if I'm not doing much, especially winter. I may eat around 6PM Friday and rarely eat before 3PM the next day. Spring, summer, fall is so busy on the weekend that Sunday night tends to be a feast of sorts. Then food doesn't cross my mind the beginning of the week and usually catch a fast monday or tuesday.. I can vouch, by example, that it doesn't waste muscle or hurt metabolism. It's much like cycling macro nutrients, but a step farther.I feel quite refreshed after it happens. Many feel that the stomach needs a break and shouldn't constantly be working.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I like all of your points. Do you all think that a 24 fast is bad? I am trying to learn to just naturally fast, but I believe I am still in the works of "shrinking" my stomach. I love all of your advice!
  • ceebs9
    Options
    I like all of your points. Do you all think that a 24 fast is bad?

Nope. I'm doing one today.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I like all of your points. Do you all think that a 24 fast is bad?

Nope. I'm doing one today.

Do you still workout? How do you do it!
  • ceebs9
    Options
    I'm going to workout here soon. Working out in a fasted state honestly doesn't bother me. In fact I feel better doing it. Will I be hungry come 11:00 or so? Probably. But I only have about 3 hours after that before it's time to eat. Here's what I love about fasts...I learn the difference between real hunger and just feeling a little uncomfortable. Or just wanting to eat because it's a certain time of the day. Usually that hunger pang goes away after just a short time. Honestly. After I break my fast, I'll go back to eating small meals throughout the day until my next fast. Listen, IF may not be for everyone and I would never try to talk anyone in to it. But it's worked for me. That along with Paleo and hard work in the gym. But everyone is different and there's no one way to being fit and healthy.
  • MissKim
    Options
    What is everyone's take on eating dairy? I've seen some people say to stay away from it altogether, while others seem to think it's okay? Do yall drink only whole milk and real cheese? no american? this stuff is really hard to do! I think the hardest thing for me, besides getting over not having bread or cakes ;( will be learning to love veggies, i've never been a big veggie person
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I'm going to workout here soon. Working out in a fasted state honestly doesn't bother me. In fact I feel better doing it. Will I be hungry come 11:00 or so? Probably. But I only have about 3 hours after that before it's time to eat. Here's what I love about fasts...I learn the difference between real hunger and just feeling a little uncomfortable. Or just wanting to eat because it's a certain time of the day. Usually that hunger pang goes away after just a short time. Honestly. After I break my fast, I'll go back to eating small meals throughout the day until my next fast. Listen, IF may not be for everyone and I would never try to talk anyone in to it. But it's worked for me. That along with Paleo and hard work in the gym. But everyone is different and there's no one way to being fit and healthy.

Thank you for that advice! I think that by fasting from afternoon to following afternoon will make it much easier! I was thinking from wake up to wake up and that might be very hard!

What kind of workouts do you do? Any advice helps!
  • AshCarlson
    Options

Thank you for that advice! I think that by fasting from afternoon to following afternoon will make it much easier! I was thinking from wake up to wake up and that might be very hard!

• AshCarlson
    Options
    What is everyone's take on eating dairy? I've seen some people say to stay away from it altogether, while others seem to think it's okay? Do yall drink only whole milk and real cheese? no american? this stuff is really hard to do! I think the hardest thing for me, besides getting over not having bread or cakes ;( will be learning to love veggies, i've never been a big veggie person

I do what Pyro does with the 85% Paleo and 15% non. It is just sometimes so hard to keep all natural foods for some things. I have found that fat free cheddar shredded cheese is really a life savor in getting the large amount of protein I would like for some meals. I do drink skim milk, but I get organic. What are you thinking about trying?
  • ceebs9
    Options

I go to a Crossfit gym, so the workouts vary. Today is a strength day focusing on squat cleans. As for when to fast. Yes. It's much easier for me to go from afternoon to afternoon. I know other people who find that difficult. Some times when I fast it's only a 12 hour to 18 hour fast. And I only fast occasionally. There are so many options out there.
  • AshCarlson
    Options
    I go to a Crossfit gym, so the workouts vary. Today is a strength day focusing on squat cleans. As for when to fast. Yes. It's much easier for me to go from afternoon to afternoon. I know other people who find that difficult. Some times when I fast it's only a 12 hour to 18 hour fast. And I only fast occasionally. There are so many options out there.

I think I will need to look into Crossfit, unfortunately though the gyms are just so expensive! How often do you go? Any other advice for working out at just a basic gym or outdoors?

I think I'm going to try my first fast this weekend!