Palelo Support Group?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all!!
    Dr bork bork (sorry if your name isn't in your siggy! i'm going to forget it! i have a horrible memory!) I'm doing the 30 day challenge with you! starting monday. i know putting it off, but it's going to be hard letting go of butter and my crystal light packets, need a couple days to mentally prepare! lol

Hi Nikole!! freerange, you did an awesome job at answering her questions! agree 100% i too found coconut oil at walmart. but i guess since she's in france it could be completely different. do they even have walmarts??

hey everyone else!! lol, personally i love drama threads!! esp love seeing all the uptight people stressing about all the booties! personally i love it! it's great when people can have fun with stuff! i wish my booty was picture ready! but it's not! lol. did anyone else see the "supposed" april fools thread bashing the posters for booty/booby shots??? do yall think it really was an april fools joke??? i'm torn. but still amusing! lol

I don't think it was an April Fool's joke.............I think she thought a lot of people were going to agree with her and when they didn't she tried to do the old switch, fake and front routine...........

No one would let her back slide and change her story......... :laugh: :laugh:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Today is my Day 1 of Whole 30, I too am having to modify a bit. but I think that doing it as closely as I can will still do more good than harm ;) Up until last night I was still undecided about giving up fake sweeteners. I wouldn't even drink water if I didn't have my crystal light! and I wouldn't drink coffee if I didn't have splenda, and I am a sugarless gum fean. So yeah, I decided that I was giving it up. It's only 30 days, it won't kill me. and who knows, maybe i won't it even want it after the 30 days. My plan just consists of eating only real food, with only pronounceable ingredients if any ingredients at all.(going to stick mainly to just whole foods) veggies, very minimal fruit, and lots and lots of meat, eggs, and minimal almonds. the hardest part for me is going to be the veggies. I don't like a wide variety of them, so I will be trying new stuff, and retrying old stuff that I used to not like. maybe trying them again i will. my tastes change alot. Dr. Bork Bork, I admire you for giving up bacon. I'm not! lol. I will find the best quality bacon I can though. but bacon is the only way I can even stick to this kind of eating...it's my fav ;)

Okay...Day 1 begins...
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It will be at least another day before I get stricter. Last banana today, last muffin tomorrow. It's been very interesting reading labels. I never realized how much food they add wheat flour too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    the bacon has sugar in it, thus breaking the no added sugar rule. I'm on day 4. Have only had meat the last 4 days. It is not so fun. 11 days left till I add veggies back on

pyro, did you know Ben & Jerry's adds flour to their ice cream (even the ones without dough flavors). So sad.
  • MissKim
    Options
    understandable trish, more power to ya!

I'm having to break several of the rules. mostly b/c i can't afford to buy grassfed beef. but i think it will still be great for me. i am letting go of artificial sweeteners, which is a big deal for me.

I can't believe that about ben & jerry's. it's like adding crack to everything !lol
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Found it in a can of tomato soup yesterday. Guess that goes in the donation box too. Not a biggie since I have 6 gallons of home grown tomatoes in the freezer still.

Don't worry too much about the grass fed, free range, organic thing. Much of what i see in the stores is not certified anyways so it could all be a lie. If you've ever read through the rules of "organic" for produce you might scratch your head a bit. I did when I researched what that would truly mean in my own garden.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Kim, don't fret over the organic/grassfed stuff. Just buy leaner cuts of meat (and make up the fat with some yummy coconut oil). We just buy meat at our local grocery store. In fact, I'm having a bowl of ground beef for lunch. Not sweating it. Although we do try to purchase products that state on the label their livestock have been treated humanely & not treated with drugs.
    Went to store after gym on the hunt for sugar free bacon & ham steak. Can you believe plain ol' ham steak has sugar in it? Oy! I ended up buying a whole shank. It had chemical crap in it, but it was sugar free. Sometimes you have to pick the battles you win carefully.
  • MissKim
    Options
    I'm growing a garden this year ;) I'm excited about it!! Will be planting it within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tips guys! so true so true!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    WTG on the garden, Kim. I told hubby that when we get a new house someday, I want an aerogarden. Been lusting after one for YEARS. We've tried planting a small garden in our yard for years, but never stay on top of it to reap any kind of reward.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I would love a garden!! We were hoping to be in a house by this time so we could get a garden started for this summer.... buuuuuut no house yet. :frown: :grumble:
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Keep in mind that in the USA it's illegal to use hormones in hogs and fowl so that's one way to limit the hormone side of things.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    eat more pig. GOT IT!

have been reading, though, that the price of critter is going to suffer a major spike this summer. *Sigh*

maybe it won't be such a bad thing. If they get to be the same price as grass fed, we'll totally be able to justify buying organic!
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    So, I am interested in this Palelo topic.

I have heard the following and wanted to know if this is true.

Eat none of the following:

· Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles

· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

· Potatoes

· Dairy products

· Sugar

· Salt

I think it's a bummer about the potatoes and the beans because I happen to love lentils.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    So, I am interested in this Palelo topic.

I have heard the following and wanted to know if this is true.

Eat none of the following:

· Grains- including bread, pasta, noodles

· Beans- including string beans, kidney beans, lentils, peanuts, snow-peas and peas

· Potatoes

· Dairy products

· Sugar

· Salt

I think it's a bummer about the potatoes and the beans because I happen to love lentils.

You can read up more on it here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Here is the quick answer

1)yes, grains are evil

2)limited, try cutting them out 100% then add back to see how they affect you

3) try sweet potato in it's place, the problem with potatoes (sweet and white) is their carb load

4) again limited, a lot of us do eat some dairy, some don't eat any, see what works for you

5) evil

6) haven't heard this one except that we all know too much isn't good for you, but you do actually NEED some salt or you will die.
  • mwhartley
    Options
    - Grains are evil :( I love oat meal with Milk - ugh

- I can limit my bean intake or even cut them out. It's just a bummer to find out they are not good. How did our ancestors know they were bad?

Ok, I am dumb. I can have a sweet potato why? The carbs are really that different?

- I can avoid Milk. I have very little now - 16 oz on the weekend (a bowl of oatmeal on Sat and Sun)

- I agree Sugar is the Devil!!! even Mama said so too :)

- Salt - I know this is a real problem and I try like crazy to avoid this as much as I can

Man, this is a tough diet or life style.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Sometimes coconut milk is used instead of dairy. If you adore oatmeal, try grinding up your favorite nuts in a food processor until they create almost a fine meal, pour some coconut milk over them, and warm gently. Serve with cinnamon and other spices. Just like oatmeal!

Beans are off the menu b/c our bodies often have a hard time digesting them (ever notice a kidney bean still in tact after you've gone to the toilet?)

milk is okay in moderation (I love cheese and full fat Fage Greek yogurt)
  • mwhartley
    Options
    So grains are toxic? What happened to the enzymes and proboscis that protect our bodies for these toxins? So our ancestors said, "man this grain stuff is killing me".

I am sure there is some type of rule out there where too many nuts are bad for humans. I know that a cup of mixed nuts is a ton of calories, and are not filling. I like meat, so why waste a lot of calories on a bunch of nuts.

I guess I like the idea's but just fighting it.

oooh busted - you had dairy DrBorkBork...that was on the list of no eats :)
  • pyro13g
    Options
    So grains are toxic? What happened to the enzymes and proboscis that protect our bodies for these toxins? So our ancestors said, "man this grain stuff is killing me".

I am sure there is some type of rule out there where too many nuts are bad for humans. I know that a cup of mixed nuts is a ton of calories, and are not filling. I like meat, so why waste a lot of calories on a bunch of nuts.

I guess I like the idea's but just fighting it.

oooh busted - you had dairy DrBorkBork...that was on the list of no eats :)

This is a Paleo/Primal support thread. You can take your argument's for or against to this thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/156733-paleo-primal-way-of-eating-finally-the-truth-revealed

Paleo and Primal both boil down to managing insulin response which is responsible for driving nutrition into cells and storing what is not needed as fat. You can add Atkins to the cause too, phase one of Southbeach, and some others.

There's no denying the Ansel Keys trickery and grains being a huge money maker stateside and as an export coinciding with Metabolic Syndrome. Sure, your favorite soft drink is low fat and high carb. Stay the course and see where one ends up.
  • mwhartley
    Options
    Sorry. - going off thread. I didn't mean to offend anyone honest.