Palelo Support Group?

Options

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Kim, don't let perfect by the enemy of good enough. Buy what you can afford, but keep it primal/paleo. When the stress gets to you, and you feel the urge to take it out on food, get up and take a walk instead (or play a fitness game if you have Wii or anything). Just take it hour to hour, and focus on how your body feels.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I am here today off and on and irritated this morning.

There is a forum out there floating around stating the "dangers" of saturated fats and I had to weigh in and give a piece of my mind to the point I changed my signature to spark people to stop and think............

Saturated fat is not the villian they are still trying to make it out to be.

Factory farmed meats, fruits and veggies that are GMO's, hormone filled dairy and refined sugar and grains are what is causing the inflammatory response also known as Coronary Heart Disease (CHD).

People need to stop with the bashing on this site. This site is not only for the low fat, calorie pinching crowd. It is for everyone no matter how you wish to lose weight and what you deem as healthy.

I feel ya, I’m in a “discussion” with a guy over Primal/Paleo being, his words “junk science”. And another that said ketosis will lead to coma and death. COME ON MAN get educated. It’s a good thing I like to argue,,,,, umm debate, and don’t get too worked up about what CW idiots say.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...I'm not doing so good. I've had a rough week....I can't seem to get back on track. Some obstacles have come up in my life, financial obstacles...suprises actually. So I'm just having a rough time. and ofcourse Im an emotional eater and I'm giving in to it. I have to get things back under control. I already feel like crap. I'm swollen and bloated and my sugar is dropping, I was shaking so bad last night I binged on two bowls of cereal! and then turned around and ate a chicken sandwich and hour later!! I feel like such a weak person. I have to get stronger than this.

Grokette, so sorry about your uncle, I'll be praying for him.

hello to everyone else.

anybody have any tips on how they dealt with emotional eating? how to i get my butt up and working too? i just seem to have lost my motivation.

Kim - Things can always be way worse than they are. Focus on the good in your life, hubby,new baby, your health.............

Those are all positive things.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Just made some very delish primal/paleo PB cookies. I went to bed last night craving PB cookies and decided to make them this morning when I woke up with the same craving.... Super easy recipe 4 main ingredients.
    1 cup natural PB (I used creamy)
    1 cup "sugar" (I used coconut sap sweetener)
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking powder

I added 1 oz raw chocolate nibs & squeezed out a vanilla bean stick

350*F/10 minutes to peanut butter-bliss
    IMG_1176.jpg
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Just made some very delish primal/paleo PB cookies. I went to bed last night craving PB cookies and decided to make them this morning when I woke up with the same craving.... Super easy recipe 4 main ingredients.
    1 cup natural PB (I used creamy)
    1 cup "sugar" (I used coconut sap sweetener)
    1 egg
    1 tsp baking powder

I added 1 oz raw chocolate nibs & squeezed out a vanilla bean stick

350*F/10 minutes to peanut butter-bliss
    IMG_1176.jpg

Where did you find coconut sap sweetener?
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    My local health food store - it was stocked with the other sugars/sweeteners. Very low GI!:smile:
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...I'm not doing so good. I've had a rough week....I can't seem to get back on track. Some obstacles have come up in my life, financial obstacles...suprises actually. So I'm just having a rough time. and ofcourse Im an emotional eater and I'm giving in to it. I have to get things back under control. I already feel like crap. I'm swollen and bloated and my sugar is dropping, I was shaking so bad last night I binged on two bowls of cereal! and then turned around and ate a chicken sandwich and hour later!! I feel like such a weak person. I have to get stronger than this.

hello to everyone else.

anybody have any tips on how they dealt with emotional eating? how to i get my butt up and working too? i just seem to have lost my motivation.

Misskim, sorry to hear you are having a rough time, I so look forward to your positive contributions here, a breath of fresh air. All I know is we all go thru this from time to time, if I lived closer to you I would be glad to come over and give you a swift kick in the butt, only out of love and concern for you of course. Just buckle down, and take it one day at a time, make the decision that TODAY you will not give in, you will embrace the hunger, you will not listen to the little sugar eating pimp sitting on your shoulder, you will seek out healthy fats, and filling protein, YOU WILL OVERCOME.

“Remember no poor dumb *kitten* ever won a war by dying for his country, you win a war by making the other poor dumb *kitten* die for his country”
    Gen George Patton

Ok I’m getting carried away with the motivation speech. :smile:

Love it! Thank you! that's just what I needed to hear! I am doing good today. I think I'm going to start out a couple of weeks letting myself have fruit and dairy and then slowly wean off of that. I think jumping so fast on the no carb train messed me up. ofcourse not overdo it on fruit and dairy, but maybe once a day. Hopefully I will be back to my happy self tomorrow!

Thanks again
  • MissKim
    Options

hello to everyone else.

Sorry Kim. Stress sucks. Only advice I can offer is to focus on just ONE thing today. Just today. Maybe focus on water intake and don't worry about food. Then tomorrow you can focus on one other thing. You'll get back on track. Sometimes it just takes awhile. (I should know.) Another thing I do is have a jar filled with slips of paper with activities I can do instead of eating. When I get the urge to eat when not hungry I'll pull out a slip of paper and do that activity, telling myself that if I still want the food I can have it but only AFTER I'm done. Some ideas...Clean 2 bathrooms. Do 10 minutes of double under practice. Send an eamil to someone I haven't been in contact with in awhile.

You get the idea. Good luck. Also, KEEP POSTING. That helps.

Thanks! and btw, I saw you post about that box somewhere else and I stole that idea from you a few weeks ago!!! lol, however, i've been ignoring my lil box!!! I am just a lil depressed. My husbands GI bill money isn't coming this month, my hours are cut at work, and i just got another 400 dollar utility bill that I'm not sure how we're going to pay. and i have a half a tank of gas that has to last for two weeks ;( i know it's a hump and we'll get over it, but i stress eat!!! and my house is dirty and i can't seem to get motivated to clean and do laundry! and that always depresses me even more. but tonight i am going to clean house, so i know i will feel better after that!
  • MissKim
    Options
    Kim, don't let perfect by the enemy of good enough. Buy what you can afford, but keep it primal/paleo. When the stress gets to you, and you feel the urge to take it out on food, get up and take a walk instead (or play a fitness game if you have Wii or anything). Just take it hour to hour, and focus on how your body feels.

You are right on. Money is exactly the problem right now. My mom had to bring us some groceries, its so bad at the moment :( guess what we got? lean pockets and cereal and milk. sandwich stuff, ramen noodles. however, we also got a freezer full of meat. so i can make good choices, that's what i'm trying to do today, regardless of the other stuff that's in our kitchen.
  • MissKim
    Options

hello to everyone else.

Kim - Things can always be way worse than they are. Focus on the good in your life, hubby,new baby, your health.............

Those are all positive things.

I know you are right. The day we found out that hubby wasn't getting his money this month is the same day that the earthquake hit. So I know how blessed I am, even in the hard times. Now if my body will just follow suit instead of insisting on being lazy and depressed.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    GAH! DID YOU KNOW PEANUTS ARE NOT PALEO???:noway:
    http://www.freshlyvegetarian.com/2010/01/articles/health/peanuts-arent-nuts-but-are-paleo-dieters-better-off-cutting-peanuts-out/

THEY FALL INTO THE LEGUME FAMILY. BOO!:grumble: :angry:
  • freerange
    Options

hello to everyone else.

Misskim, sorry to hear you are having a rough time, I so look forward to your positive contributions here, a breath of fresh air. All I know is we all go thru this from time to time, if I lived closer to you I would be glad to come over and give you a swift kick in the butt, only out of love and concern for you of course. Just buckle down, and take it one day at a time, make the decision that TODAY you will not give in, you will embrace the hunger, you will not listen to the little sugar eating pimp sitting on your shoulder, you will seek out healthy fats, and filling protein, YOU WILL OVERCOME.

“Remember no poor dumb *kitten* ever won a war by dying for his country, you win a war by making the other poor dumb *kitten* die for his country”
    Gen George Patton

Ok I’m getting carried away with the motivation speech. :smile:

Love it! Thank you! that's just what I needed to hear! I am doing good today. I think I'm going to start out a couple of weeks letting myself have fruit and dairy and then slowly wean off of that. I think jumping so fast on the no carb train messed me up. ofcourse not overdo it on fruit and dairy, but maybe once a day. Hopefully I will be back to my happy self tomorrow!

Thanks again

I think I understand now. IMO some people get a little carried away with,,,,,,,, whatever, paleo, Atkins, take baby steps, and remember this is not an all meat diet, don’t forget to get your healthy carbs. I know, I have trouble with that. Lately I’ve been having a ¼ cup a Fage Greek yogurt, mix in a dash of cocoa powder (no sugar added) a pinch of stevia (I could do without this) 5 whole strawberries and a ¼ cup of blueberries. Helps me get my carbs, and has the added benefit of an extra boost of protein. Oh and it’s yummy too.

Another thing I do that helps take some of the “pressure” off is to be really strict during the week, I never go over carbs or calories during the week. And on the weekend, I don’t plan a cheat day, I just don’t worry about it so much, if I have something that’s not completely Primal, or well. I do still stay away from the real bad stuff, sugary stuff, bread, and stuff like that.

And again don’t get so wrapped up in the “this isn’t Paelo” stuff, if Milk doesn’t hurt you, a little here and there will be ok. This is supposed to be a healthy way of eating, not some martyrdom of weight loss. Work your way into it, get used to fixing “Primal” foods, and work them into your diet. You know it works, you know it’s good for you, you just need to ease into it. This is a long term life style choice not some overnight quick fix.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    http://www.freshlyvegetarian.com/2010/01/articles/health/peanuts-arent-nuts-but-are-paleo-dieters-better-off-cutting-peanuts-out/

Yeah, was going to say... I've known peanuts aren't nuts for about 3 months :-P

Almond or macadamia butter would make a good substitution though!
  • MissKim
    Options
    http://www.truthaboutabs.com/saturated-fat-is-not-evil.html

stumbled acroos this....pretty good read, i like how he explains it
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

Yeah, was going to say... I've known peanuts aren't nuts for about 3 months :-P

Almond or macadamia butter would make a good substitution though!

I just recently discovered cashew butter :noway: :love:
  • immacookie
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't been around... work is getting the best of me lately... plus I'm going on a short vacation next week, so I can't even IMAGINE what next week will be like before I leave. :explode:

Cora, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle, he will be in my thoughts! :flowerforyou:

To everyone else - keep on keepin on... :drinker:
  • immacookie
    Options
    Another thing I do that helps take some of the “pressure” off is to be really strict during the week, I never go over carbs or calories during the week. And on the weekend, I don’t plan a cheat day, I just don’t worry about it so much, if I have something that’s not completely Primal, or well. I do still stay away from the real bad stuff, sugary stuff, bread, and stuff like that.

And again don’t get so wrapped up in the “this isn’t Paelo” stuff, if Milk doesn’t hurt you, a little here and there will be ok. This is supposed to be a healthy way of eating, not some martyrdom of weight loss. Work your way into it, get used to fixing “Primal” foods, and work them into your diet. You know it works, you know it’s good for you, you just need to ease into it. This is a long term life style choice not some overnight quick fix.

*LIKE*!

My weight loss hasn't kicked in yet but I'm seeing other benefits... my headaches are few and far between... I'm not living off Zyrtec (true test will be in another month when everything starts blooming)... I don't get dizzy and shaky if I don't eat something every 3 or 4 hours...

I just need to get this body fat to fall in line and take a hike!
  • MissKim
    Options
    Hey Yall, I ate breakfast this morning, and now I'm going to attempt a short fast. I'm skipping lunch and dinner. I know some people say wait til after you have done the diet a while, but i really feel like it will be short and painful and will help me get over cravings faster. last night i probably would have killed somebody for something sweet. i don't like that feeling!

any tips on fasting? i know, drink lots of water! will it hurt if i have some flavored water? i'm not trying to start out perfect, but i guess that wouldn't help the sugar cravings much. gah..
  • freerange
    Options
    Flavored water shouldn't hurt any.

man I'm glad I'm not a co worker of yours today :smile:

Good luck, sometimes it takes drastic measures to kick start a new program. Or to get back on the horse.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I prefer to IF from the time after dinner until lunch the next day. I find it easiest. I started doing it pretty soon after I started primal. When I crave something sweet, but don't want the carbs, I go for a stick of gum.