Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Worst Thing You have been Witness to at the Gym!

Replies

• stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Wow, I got nothing compared to some of these stories!
    I don't belong to a gym right now. My gym is the great outdoors but on Monday while I was doing my run through downtown, I happened upon a homeless guy who was taking a leak on the sidewalk. Not by a tree or bush or alleyway -- just out in the great wide open. I was first alerted by the amonia smell, as the wind was blowing my way. Then I had to jog around the puddle as it zigzagged towards me as I went past. It reminded me of the bootcamps where you're running thru that netted thing and trying not to trip and fall. That would've been a wet diaster.

Melanie
  • I hate when people sweat all over the machines and the weight benches, and don't bother to wipe it up. I've handed people spray bottles before and pointed at their mess. It's disgusting.

Also, not wearing flip-flops in the showers is hugely gross. If you aren't wearing some foot wear in the changing room, you're going to get something. You'll be lucky if it's only athlete's foot.
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Wow it is amazing how many of these things go on in multiple gyms. I thought the pube drying was unique to my gym, obviously not! And the guy from the 1970's , yup he is in my gym too. I dont have a particular locker room story but I agree that people are WAYYYY to comfortable in them, seriously folks, just change and move on. Can't for the life of me figure out why people have to wander around naked like they had all the time in the world.
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Last time I was at the gym there was a woman running on a treadmill two down from me and she kept saying things out loud to herself like:

YEAH BABY YOU CAN DO IT
    YOU ARE HOT YEAH YEAH FIVE MORE MINUTES
    MAMA'S IN THE HOME STRETCH
    OH YEAH YOU ARE ON FIRE MAMA
    DADDY IS GOING TO LOVE YOU TONIGHT

I thought it was adorable but it was so weird and I tried not to laugh and I didn't want to get in the way of her self motivational awkward speeches so I ended up moving across the gym to do something else. She was also my mom's age so it was super weird.

She should probably get an ipod and record herself saying these things so I don't have to hear her yell it to herself. Then again if she's anything like my mother (who she reminded me of, which is why it was so weird in the first place) then she probably doesn't know how to use anything like an ipod.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Ok wait nope thought about this more...
    The worst thing I ever saw in the gym was a cardiac arrest -- Im a NP and it was interesting to see off the clock how fast my instincts were... I started CPR and had someone get the AED and he lived (and actually become my patient for many years).
    Now everytime I go to a new gym or YMCA I always ask where the AED is and they think Im nuts... Im telling you this stuff likes to follow me. I have resuscitated people in Epcot, Animal Kingdom, parks, races, church ... hehe!

First, let me say thank you for saving so many peoples lives.

Worst thing I ever saw, I was being shown around YMCA as I was new to the area. We get to womens changing room, go in to show me where hair drying area, lockers, showers, ect are and we go around the corner and there is this older woman, I am talking about 80, sitting on the bench like a horse, with JUST a sports bra on carrying on a conversation with no one there. Talk about creped out
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    i hate when people walk around completely naked as if home alone in the locker room. makes me uncomfortable!

I also want to add, if my body looked anything close to the one in your profile pic thecanface, my happy *kitten* would parade around naked all day long....lol
  • WOW!!!! all these things are exactly why i work out in my house and run in the mountains!!! creepy world peoples creepy world...
  • bump!
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    All I can say is, :noway: You really couldn't make this stuff up!

Mine are not half has funny as these. Along with the naked old lady in my locker room there are also women that always use the bathroom together and fart in the middle of conversation like it's no big deal. I get it, we all have to let it out, but some discretion would be nice!

I also have the lady on the cell phone talking louder than my iPod, and the gross people that don't wipe off the machines. The disinfectant and towels are free people. No excuses!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    There's a GREAT thread that has a ton of stories in it...When you have time go read and laugh your butt off!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100903-the-gym-is-great-for-people-watching?hl=people+watching
  • toots99
    These were some of my answers from the other thread I just posted:

There are some great stories here!

There's a guy at my gym that I call "Under Armour" because he wears an Under Armour t-shirt, Under Armour shorts, Under Armour socks and Under Armour sneakers, and I'm sure his wristbands and lifting straps are probably Under Armour too. Anyway, he grunts soooo bad when he lifts...I don't mind grunting at all, but when people all over the gym are looking at you, that's bad. He grunts so hard, I swear he's going to poop himself. His face looks liek this guy --> :explode:

At my old gym there was this guy that I LOVED to watch. He was skinny has could be and was extremely feminine and had a HUGE and long afro, and he'd get on the stairmaster and dance the whole time. Kicking his hips out here, a fancy two step there, hands flying, singing...he'd just have the best time. Once, I talked to him and told him that I loved watching him. He had a thick Spanish accent and said "I know people are looking at me but I do not care, I come to have fun!"

At that same gym, which was in Los Angeles, it was kind of fun to see what actors and actresses would come in. There was a guy who used to be on 24 who came in every day...his character was such a jerk. I just wanted to go up to him and be like "I know what you're doing to Jack Bauer and you'd better quit it or I'm telling President Palmer!" :laugh:

One of the most interesting people I had ever watched, though, was a blind lady who would come in every day. She'd walk in with her cane, and make her way up to the treadmill, and just feel her way around to get the machine started. One day I watched her when she got on the machine next to me, and she was feeling around for the buttons and was like 1/2 an inch away from the start button, and she'd just keep pressing away. Finally she gave up and asked me for help. Then she started talking to me, and I don't like to talk when I work out. So there I was, thinking to myself "Do I tell her I'm putting my headphones back on, meaning 'be quiet now!' haha, or do I just put them on and hope she doesn't think I'm just rudely ignoring her...?" She saved me by putting on her headphones. :laugh:
  • toots99
    The grossest thing I've ever seen is when I walked into the ladies bathroom in the locker room, and there was water running in the sink, with clothing in it, and around it. More specifically, someone's underwear on the counter. I almost threw up. :sick: I noticed someone was in a stall, so I go about my business, walk out of my stall, and at the sink is a large, naked older woman...washing her underwear in the sink. It was one of the most godawful things I've ever witnessed. Where do these people come from?!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Home from the gym, and alright! I don't know if it was karma for laughing at all these stories or if they opened up a strip club near the gym, but really 'ladies'! Put some clothes on!!!
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    This isn't *bad*, just bizarre.

The woman on the elliptical in front of me last year was eating FRENCH FRIES while working out. I'm not joking. She had a to-go box from somewhere and was chomping away!

hahahaha that happened to me too......this older guy that works at the gym was cycling for about 15 minutes and stop for a break...drinks some water and heads to his desk outside the gym and brings in a newspaper and a BLODDY CHEESECAKE!!! hahahahaha i just stopped running and ran to the bath cos i was gonna barf! mixture of laughing and me taking a sip of water at the same time....i caused a bigger scene but he inspired it! hahaha

The worst that ever happened and i am not happy about it is a bigger lady trying to use one of the machines and accidentally breaks it....:( she looked so defeated and that made me very sa..:(
  • Shawnarose
    Shawnarose Posts: 74 Member
    Need to Bump and put aside for a good laugh in the future! What a howl :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Why am I eating my dinner while reading this? Well I know ill be saving some calories tonight! lolol
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    As I was walking out of the locker room a couple weekends ago I caught the hairy brown eye of a woman bending over to get into her locker. I don't mind nudity and I don't mind people walking around naked, etc. It is a locker room..but I have to admit I cringed and was a tad traumatized lol.

Put your arses towards the lockers everyone!!

too funny..i wish i wasnt such a visual person....got to get that out of my head!:laugh: :laugh:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    The worst that ever happened and i am not happy about it is a bigger lady trying to use one of the machines and accidentally breaks it....:( she looked so defeated and that made me very sa..:(
    That sucks ... that's got to be extremely defeating and the antithesis of motivation.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, I meant for her, not you. I don't know that I'm tough enough a person that I could leave my house after something like that. Hopefully she handled it better than I would.
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Shut up that's crazy! Omg that is too funny but really weird.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    A woman on the treadmill beside me with the walking farts. They stunk to high hell. Glad I was not directly behind her. lmao