i'm sorry, but...

Options

Replies

• downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Alot of peeps, myself included are dealing with personal issues, divorce, marriage, children, work etc., which tend to be a cause of overeating, bingeing or whatever. Being able to talk about those problems and venting our feelings and being able to get support, help us to deal with our eating issues. So I believe it is appropriate to a degree to post such topics.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I need to start spending more time in the forums here. Who needs television?

No cable TV (too expensive) + bad weather + G*D awful reception with a "digital" TV antenna = More forum time :drinker:

oh, you gotta get Netflix streaming. For less than $10 a month, all the TV you could ever want (okay, not brand new episodes, but no commercials either), movies On demand ......with all the major national news broadcasts......there are even some movies about four guys and a girl, but .....then that's here, too.

Oh, I totally forgot about Netflix. I've had it for over a year and we've only managed to watch 4 of the movies on our DVD list of 200 movies. In fact, I've had my last DVD for 4 months now. My fiance however watches his TV shows all day.

Oh, I LOVE netflix streaming! They have a lot of fantastic documentaries online, if you can't find any good movies to watch. Search "PBS" in the instant database. Then again, I'm a big nerd. That might sound dreadfully boring to you compared to this forum. Haha. Oh, and I only have cable because I get it for free from my landlord. Sometimes it pays to be a renter!

This thread is fantastic. It's nice to meet all of you.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    There is a thread specifically just for chitchat and stuff like that. If you don't like it...don't read it.

agreed. however, if i'm *not* on the "chit chat" board, i wouldn't expect to read unrelated topics.

Yet, you did it yourself. You posted this thread on the 'introduction' board.

Then go to the site feedback/ideas board and ask them to have people start monitoring boards and MOVING off topic posts to the NO TOPIC board. It could easily be done by volunteers. There are enough of us here at any one time that multiple people could be monitoring each board for off topic threads. I used to do that on AOL in a writing games forum. It was easy and it was quite interesting to get to know all of those people too.

i would get about as much of a positive response from everyone to do this as i did by posting this! lol! it really isn't *that* much of a big deal - i just don't feel the need to read about someone's stupid crap when all i was looking for was to see who's new to the site, talk about getting back on the right weight loss track, etc. they can post about their debauchery until their fingernails fall off for all i care - just go do it somewhere else. and o, i don't *have* to read it, but when the subject line looks like something i'm interested in, and then it's totally unrelated when i actually read the post, that's not my fault.

um... what about searching for keywords then? or is it more that the post starts off good but then veers off course over time? I guess in that case it couldn't be moved as I'd suggested or everything would end up in the no topic forum.
  • snowness
    Options
    i think that the off topic subjects really help people and if they can vent these things here why not what harm is it doing.

it's not a matter of "harm", i'm just saying that there are boards for these types of posts. if i'm in the "nutrition/diet" forum, i expect to read those types of posts. that's all.

i just want to point out that you are doing exactly what you are complaining about. You posted a topic about your annoyance of people posting on the "wrong" board in the introduce yourself board (the "wrong" one for you to post this on) isn't that a bit hipocritical?
  • dunztar
    Options
    Lets all be friends
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Lets all be friends

:)
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    There is a thread specifically just for chitchat and stuff like that. If you don't like it...don't read it.

agreed. however, if i'm *not* on the "chit chat" board, i wouldn't expect to read unrelated topics.

Then go to the site feedback/ideas board and ask them to have people start monitoring boards and MOVING off topic posts to the NO TOPIC board. It could easily be done by volunteers. There are enough of us here at any one time that multiple people could be monitoring each board for off topic threads. I used to do that on AOL in a writing games forum. It was easy and it was quite interesting to get to know all of those people too.

i would get about as much of a positive response from everyone to do this as i did by posting this! lol! it really isn't *that* much of a big deal - i just don't feel the need to read about someone's stupid crap when all i was looking for was to see who's new to the site, talk about getting back on the right weight loss track, etc. they can post about their debauchery until their fingernails fall off for all i care - just go do it somewhere else. and o, i don't *have* to read it, but when the subject line looks like something i'm interested in, and then it's totally unrelated when i actually read the post, that's not my fault.

um... what about searching for keywords then? or is it more that the post starts off good but then veers off course over time? I guess in that case it couldn't be moved as I'd suggested or everything would end up in the no topic forum.

lol that's pretty much the case.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

A post that veers off course on MFP. :noway: That would never happen. :laugh:

Dishwashers.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Alot of peeps, myself included are dealing with personal issues, divorce, marriage, children, work etc., which tend to be a cause of overeating, bingeing or whatever. Being able to talk about those problems and venting our feelings and being able to get support, help us to deal with our eating issues. So I believe it is appropriate to a degree to post such topics.

i totally agree - the point i was trying to make before this turned so incredibly ridiculous, is that there are boards specifically for that type of stuff. i don't want to read it on the "fitness/nutrition" or "introduce yourself" board. if i want to read about those types of things, i would go to the "chit chat/games" board. it was really as simple as that.
  • cindy4mica
    Options

A post that veers off course on MFP. :noway: That would never happen. :laugh:

Dishwashers.

i have NO idea what you're talking about :wink:
  • ashers1819
    Options
    Right, I think we might need to rope this in a bit. Cformica, whether you like it or not your original post had a very negative voice. For this reason people have taken offence to your tone. While I appreciate that there are more appropriate boards for people to post on, it goes without saying that while this board is public, threads are going to inadvertently be placed on the wrong board. Also, because threads develop organically topics go off topic as the thread develops. What you need to do is work with this and stop adopting such a condescending tone when people that use this site work very hard to promote a community spirit.

I use this site to be a part of a community that fosters well being and positive living not to have my fellow posters belittled, enough of that goes on offline.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Right, I think we might need to rope this in a bit. Cformica, whether you like it or not your original post had a very negative voice. For this reason people have taken offence to your tone. While I appreciate that there are more appropriate boards for people to post on, it goes without saying that while this board is public, threads are going to inadvertently be placed on the wrong board. Also, because threads develop organically topics go off topic as the thread develops. What you need to do is work with this and stop adopting such a condescending tone when people that use this site work very hard to promote a community spirit.

I use this site to be a part of a community that fosters well being and positive living not to have my fellow posters belittled, enough of that goes on offline.

although your point is valid, please go back and re-read my original post. nowhere was i *ever* condescening, insulting, angry or negative. i'm not entirely certain why people would take offense, except to cause drama. my point was that this website *is* for supporting one another in our journey to live healthier lives & lose weight, and it might not be appropriate for other things - on this particular board. that stuff should be saved for the "chit chat" board or some other website. i'm sorry, but if someone thinks *that* is offensive, he/she has deeper issues to deal with.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

This post is still ALIVE?!

:yawn:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

I was just thinking the same thing. :laugh:
  • cindy4mica
    Options

they won't let me get away!!! lol. i suppose i could just ignore everyone, but that's not in my italian blood:devil:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how everyone handles thier TOM cravings,and how do you get yourself to exercise with such bad cramps......................oh wait am I off topic:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

DITTO! :drinker:
  • StephanieCoel
    Options
    I agree with you! Post it in the right subject column. I don't care who you banged, I want recipes, nutrition and encouragement! You have atleast one person on your side!:smile::smile:
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I was wondering how everyone handles thier TOM cravings,and how do you get yourself to exercise with such bad cramps......................oh wait am I off topic:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:explode:
  • That_Girl
    Options
    I agree with you! Post it in the right subject column. I don't care who you banged, I want recipes, nutrition and encouragement! You have atleast one person on your side!:smile::smile:

We are all on the same side. We're just being dumb.