Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Did another 2.1 walking after lunch.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Way to move it everybody!!! I got in 3.3 on the elliptical this morning and 2.2 walk in this afternoon!!
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    7 miles walked today :happy:
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    update
    nothin' for 3/12 or 3/13
    3/14: 2.4 miles walked
    3/15: 1.2 miles walked
    3/16: 2.5 miles walked
    3/17: 5 miles run, 2 miles walked
    March total: 41 miles

ETA: Thanks for the cool charts--I LOVE charts with my name on them!
  • vhuber
    Options
    QUOTE:

Current Mileage: 32
    Goal Mileage: 75

my half marathon went really well yesterday. Really glad I did it!

Skinnyack my congratulations on your accomplishment, but come on, is this all you have to say about running a freaking half-marathon ?? This is the non plus ultra of laconism. Could you elaborate a little? I know people who could write a whole book about it

@ Dinos- Haha- I'd like to add that since my half marathon I haven't moved at all!:laugh: So behind in miles! Ok well here are some details... It was my first half. I ran it with my fiance. It was his first anything race like (I've done 3 5Ks). When we started training the farthest he'd ever jogged consecutively was about 1 mile (most likely in high school). After some research we (me- I'm the bossy, nose in the book, one) decided on Galloway method to handle the 13 miles. I've mentioned it before but quick re-cap, Jeff galloway has this well proven method that based on how fast you can run a mile, you can also do run/walk intervals over a longer distance in about the same time it would take you to just run it straight, but due to the ability of your muscles to relax while walking, you won't "bonk/get cloudy/ freak out/ become delirious" and will incur less injury. From my experience- totally correct. We first started training with 1 mile walk/ 1 mile run intervals... but then after more research started doing 3 min run: 1 min walk intervals. If you have an interval watch it's super easy to keep track of.
    Anyways- enough about that- The actual half was great! There were two 100 ft climbs on the course- which were ridiculous, and did make my calves sore the next day. We ran toward the back of the pack with a goal of finishing within 3 hrs- we did it in 2:43 flat- despite the devil hills. This was about 13 minutes faster than our best practice run. I did start to get cranky toward the end (let my bike-racing- uncle talk me into jelly bean supplements- which tasted great! but totally spiked my sugar levels so at about mile 11 I was grouchy). I've always used low glycemic cliff bars prior-which have kept me more mellow- and more full. Note to self- DON"T EXPERIMENT ON RACE DAY! I think I will try something in the future more convenient like the beans but looks for the low glycemic type. The marathon was for the benefit of the San Diego safari park new expanded tiger habitat. We actually got to run past rhinos, and horses, elephants and flamingos, which is SUPER cool! I love that. Other than sore calves, 3 miles of grouchiness, and the desperate need for a nap (did I mention it was day light savings= extra hour early wake up?) it was great. I can't wait for my next one! I ultimately aspire to do a full marathon, and really, to be honest... my secret wish is to do an ultra. What a great way to see the world! Going to give myself a couple years to work up to that-- haha!

Since I don't have any runs planned currently I want to focus on some hiking and trail running, and also move closer to doing more barefoot work. Will keep my eyes open for my next half!

Happy St. patty's day!
    Aewsome job! Great attitude, great determination & great goals!!
  • vhuber
    Options
    5 miles on the treadmill for me today.

Today marks an anniversary, of sorts, for me. Since January 3, I have logged 300 miles walking and jogging for exercise (meaning, that doesn't include the walking I do as part of my normal routine--such as walking the dog, walking across campus to teach, etc.). I have progressed from walking 2 miles for a workout, to, today, jogging 5 miles with two 2-minute walking breaks. And, this is, really, all due to the MYA monthly challenges.

So, to all of you: THANK YOU. I appreciate all of you and don't say it very often. You inspire me by your efforts. You inspire me by being here. And a very special THANK YOU to those that create the monthly MYA topic and (DINOS) track our efforts.

Coni
    What progress!!! Way to go Coni and happy anniversary!:wink:
  • bri1720
    bri1720 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Another 2.6 miles on the treadmill running/jogging. I even upped it to 5.0 mph for about a quarter mile. I'm starting to see why so many people like running. I always feel so invigorated (sp?) :huh: afterwards.
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Only got in 3 miles this morning - had all ki8nds of issues (household mechanical problems) this afternoon so no beach walk. Did get more air in my bike tires so I may actually do some mileage on that this weekend to make up for todays miss!
  • amazingmummy
    amazingmummy Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Coni and Happyack! You both are inspiring!

Did another 1.6 miles today walking around the block with my baby.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1/2 mile on treadmill and 1/2 mile on the arctrainer before spin class tonight...updated my siggie...on a personal best note, i burned 1105 calories today between my c25k run at lunch, treadmill, arctrainer, spin class and weights/crunches after spin....1045 was my personal best last saturday and i kicked the @ss out of that a bit LOL....anyway, night all and you're doing great....keep moving your @sses...
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    1/2 mile on treadmill and 1/2 mile on the arctrainer before spin class tonight...updated my siggie...on a personal best note, i burned 1105 calories today between my c25k run at lunch, treadmill, arctrainer, spin class and weights/crunches after spin....1045 was my personal best last saturday and i kicked the @ss out of that a bit LOL....anyway, night all and you're doing great....keep moving your @sses...

Wow. Way to move your @ss, bluiz13! I don't think I've ever had a burn over 1000 calories before....
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    4 miles today...3 from walking, 1 from ellilptical.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    Got another 4.4 miles in on the TM at the gym tonight.
  • toots99
    Options

My hero! :love:
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Adding another 4.35 bike miles for yesterday!
  • bri1720
    bri1720 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    10.8 miles recumbent bike
  • toots99
    Options
    4.5 down today.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    2 miles for lunch today walk/jog
    brings my total to 23.8/50 miles
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    5 miles running today
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone, I'm very glad you like the charts, they turned out to be very popular. :bigsmile: Now please stop thanking me its embarassing.

I'm on a business trip since this morning, however I had a free hour and managed to run/walk 7K on the waterfront of Volos, a city in Central Greece. The temp was in the low 70s.... Some place to do business :tongue:

IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg

The challenge total is now 1,700 miles. You guys rock !!!