Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - March Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was able to reach my goal of 4+ 8 oz. of water today. :)
  • Hizzle85
    Hizzle85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So, last thursday we went to the doctor and my husband had a bit of a scare as they told him he had really high blood pressure and that he needed to start cutting out sodium and eating a lot less. We've been taking that hard core, my husband has started eating probably half as much less than before, if not even less than that. I'm joining him in his changes because I know its easier to not have to do it alone.

We've been eating salads and very low sodium things, like fish and chicken, and my husband has decided he'd like to go the next 3 months without red meat. (he goes back to the dr in three months) So I guess I'll be giving that up too.
    I completed my 200 squat challenge (woo!!) and I've got to finish the pushup challenge. I'm starting a couch to 5k next week.
    Also I'm going to start doing the dreaded 30 day shred again. yuck. i hated it last time I did it, but it worked and showed results.
    The fact that I've been exercising, drinking so much water because I'm trying not to be hungry, cutting back on what I'm eating so much, cutting back majorly on my sodium, and trying to eat more healthy foods has really made a difference in my progress.
    I've lost 4 pounds since last tuesday.

The only thing I'm disappointed in myself for is not getting up in the morning to do pilates. I've just not been able to make myself do it since i got sick a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that once I get used to the time change I'll be able to start doing it again.
  • Hizzle85
    Hizzle85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I've decided to try to start drinking more water.
    Even though I hate having to run to the bathroom so often, i feel like the results are worth it.
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Hizzle- That's awesome that you are joining your husband on his dietary changes. I think that working as a team is really great. May I suggest clean eating magazine because it has some really great recipes that are very low sodium. Just because he needs to cut out sodium and red meat doesn't mean that either of you should be consuming an extremely low amount of food. If you are truly feeling hungry then you should eat something. Fruit and veggies will become your best friend, and you can always add a litlte homemade humus on top for a treat. If you are doing all the working out and you aren't consuming enough calories you might end up actually doing more harm then good. Just my 2 cents and I hope you find out what works best for you.

prila- WAY TO GO!

Cait- That is so sweet of you to say I was your inspiration- *tear! I just can't get over how awesome you are!

AFM- Not much time this morning to update but I wanted to get in here and add in my breakfast and exercise. Did my usual Tuesday morning spin followed by a mini bootcamp. It was 15 minutes, 3 minutes of each exercise, 20 seconds on 10 seconds off. We did- squats, push ups, lunges, sit ups, burpees. BRUTAL! But I did burn a killer amount of calories which is always awesome- means more delicious food today!!!! I hope everyone has a great Tuesday and I will be back later to check in!

Megan
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Had a great shopping day, despite my troubles finding clothes (oh man - bathing suits are brutal!) - Heading to the gym before I lose my motivation. It's run time, folks! And this foot better cooperate.

I'll be back with some updates and to respond to all you lovelies later. Sounds like you're all doing fabulously! Miss ya! :heart:
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good Morning :happy:

I'm back from my 3-week long vacation which wasn't relaxing at all yet lot of fun. Got back Sunday night and I'm trying to get back to my routine. In no mood of counting calories and have no energy to hit the gym yet, thanks to the hectic vacation with 2 weddings and jet lag. I will, however, get back on track soon and start replying to everyone soon.

Hope you are all doing well! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So my goals for the month went something like this...do the 30 day shred, eat less processed foods, try 2 new work outs and be down 4 lbs....
    Well today is the 15th (half way there) and heres where Im at....Im on day 15 of the shred and man is level 2 kicking my butt! I could still cut out some more processed foods but I am doing waaayyyy better. I have tried 1 new workout this month (jackie warner dvd) and I have lost 4LBS!!!!! So so far March is a much better month for me than Feb was! Good luck everyone on meeting their goals!!
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I've decided to try to start drinking more water.
    Even though I hate having to run to the bathroom so often, i feel like the results are worth it.

I hear you! But, you'd be surprised that water doesn't make you have to go as much as sodas. I have overactive bladder and take medicine for it. I've been off my medicine for 2 weeks because I've been drinking water more. I talked with my Dr. and he said that sodas contain things that cause the bladder to fill up too quickly causing frequent trips to the restroom. Some people tell me that isn't true but I have seen drastic changes in my bathroom trips. LOL
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I hear you! But, you'd be surprised that water doesn't make you have to go as much as sodas. I have overactive bladder and take medicine for it. I've been off my medicine for 2 weeks because I've been drinking water more. I talked with my Dr. and he said that sodas contain things that cause the bladder to fill up too quickly causing frequent trips to the restroom. Some people tell me that isn't true but I have seen drastic changes in my bathroom trips. LOL

i pee a lot. i am wondering how much you were peeing before to be diagnosed with an overactive bladder. i'm thinking of bringing this up to my doctor the next time i go in! i pee ALL THE FRICKING TIME. it gets really annoying. i know if i go on a hike or something, i would most definitely have to pop a squat somewhere no matter how little water i consume.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I hate that you can only read the last half a page a posts once you click reply!! You either have to have super memory to comment on what people wrote or make notes! (I've done this)

@meag - Glad that the shopping went (mostly) well. i think bathing suits are the undoing of everyone. Or that's what I tell myself anyway ;-) My former roommate worked at a bathing suit store and she said that she only saw a few people that ever really genuinely enjoyed the experience. (And they were body builders and cougars! haha)

@spellbinder - Welcome back! Hope the jet lag gets better soon, it will feel good to get back in the groove of things. :)

@jaccilatt - 30 day shred is intense! you are much more committed than I ever was to it. I managed a few good go's with it. I still do it in a pinch, I just got sick of it (not to mention sore) after about day 4. And sick of yelling "I HATE YOU JILLIAN!" to the screen during "skaters" and all the crazy jumps. Congrats on the 4lbs! That's huge and awesome. Imagine what it will be in 15 more days! yay

@prila & lolahippie - LOL! I was giggling at your comments about peeing all the time. i feel like I'm always peeing too. I hate it at school because I feel like I need to excuse myself almost every class and if not I NEED to hit the bathroom in between each one. Seem some of my friends go all day without needing to, they don't like using the school washrooms so they just hold it? This is not an option for me and my fellow water drinkers hey? haha

AFM -
    Yesterday was kind of stressful with the home garbage. (Groceries, laundry, etc etc). I wanted to get up this am and get my 0630 cardio in at school but I was up too late and then by the time I DID wake up an started packing my food for today it was already 0630! So I'm going to a class at the gym this evening with my friend.

I came home from school early to try and get a handle on "my life" (what I told my school mates). I finished the rough-draft of my portion of a group assignment (we are meeting tomorrow morning to discuss it), completed most of my resume (applied for two casual positions today but need to submit the resume sometime this week) and made dinner for my husband (my lunch for tomorrow). I have some studying I could technically squeeze in right now (I have a midterm on thursday) but I need to leave for the class in 30mins and thought I'd just chill for a few before I go pack my bag.

The class tonight is called a "Force" class and it's one of those weight circuit type things where you do multiple (MULTIPLE) reps of exercises with relatively light weights. It's a bit more intense than the little purple dumbell type but the same idea. I think it's still a pretty a decent burn though and I'm aiming to get 30mins of cardio on top of the matter. Definitely beats what I'd be doing at home (watching Biggest Loser and Glee and complaining about not having enough time to do anything). Downside is I will hardly see my hubby today because once I get home from everything he will be nearing his (super early) bed time. Oh well.

I cant remember if I posted today's meal plan earlier so I won't do it again. I had to switch my dinner meal because my fat was just too high (I may just need to sacrifice my egg at breakfast for egg whites...or you know not eat the chocolate for a snack that I chose too..Anyway.) I'm saving the butter chicken I made to eat for lunch tomorrow and I'm having cereal and protein shake for dinner (haha, i know classy right..)

Tomorrow my meal plan is
    #1 - oatmeal with berries & 1/2c scrambled egg whites
    #2 (PWO) - protein shake with 1/2c apple cinnamon cheerios
    #3 - "better butter chicken" recipe with 1/2c cooked rice
    #4 - apple with almond butter (OR greek yog with berries - depending on how the calories fall when i punch it all in)
    #5- beef & veggie slow cooker stew (assuming i actually get it all in the cooker before class tomorrow!)
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    prila-great job on the water....I know this one took me a while to get used to and I still find myself having a hard time getting in my 80oz/day everyday, but it will become more natural for you and get easier the more you do it :)

hizzle85-sorry to hear about your hubby's BP...it sounds like you are both on the right track to making yourselves healthier though so WTG on that! Great job on the working out and the 4lb loss!! Thatis great :)

Megan-you continue to inspire/motivate me with all of your awesome workouts! wtg!!

Meag-as always you rock, but be sure to take it easy!! :)

spell-welcome back!! hope you get back into it soon cuz the month is halfway over!! LOL Glad you had an awesome vaca!!

Jaccilatt-great job on your March goals so far...you are gonna have great final results if you keep going at this pace!!

Erin-Cait had a great idea of opening a notepad and minimizing as you reply, and then copy and paste when you are ready!! This is what I have been doing! LOL Good luck on your workout tonight!!

AFM-WI day tomorrow...nervous more than usual due to those few higher days that I had...we shall see though *fingers still crossed*! as far as my March goals so far...3/6 lbs lost, everyday with at least 80oz of water, 3/3 on arms for both weeks so far, and 3298/5000 cals burned for the month so far! So I guess I am on track for that!!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Very happy at my weigh in this morning. CW 145 after being sick all week!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    K folks - today has been an emotional disaster. Total meltdown. I am really *not* coping with life right now. My foot issues combined with my job problems and major life stressors in my life and with Tyler's moving and work have all come to a head and are causing me some epic sadness, stress and pure exhaustion.

I am going to continue logging food and exercise when I can, but will be taking a break from posting regularly here. I'll keep checking in and reading posts to keep up with you guys - of course! - but I can't be bothered to share all my complaining and sadness with you folks when you're doing so well. I also just have no motivation at all to post these days.

Keep working hard folks - You're all doing a fab job working toward your goals!
    Meag :heart:
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great job Prila on reaching your water goal!

Hizzle- I agree, I think it’s wonderful you and your husband are doing this together. My husband has had high cholesterol since he was 12 years old, and slightly elevated blood pressure. He is physically active and has never been overweight… genetics suck sometimes. He loves to go out to eat, but claims he is making healthy choices. You know grilled chicken and salads all the time. I have been working with him to stop going out to eat and packing healthier lunches. Trying to explain there is hidden fat and sodium levels in restaurant foods that are not good for his heart. We have been packing his lunch and snacks most days for the last couple of weeks, and he seems to be doing well. Funny thing is he stepped on the scale the other day and lost 8 pounds. He wasn’t trying to lose weight, but I’m sure he is getting a lot less sodium than he was before so a lot of it was probably water weight. Have you tried substituting ground turkey for ground beef? I know a lot of people that don’t like it, but it would help with not eating red meat for a while. I’m also doing the 30 day shred. I’m almost done with level 2 and the harder stuff is still kicking my butt. Good luck!

Megan- Sounds like you got a great workout in yesterday. What are burpees?

Meag- glad you had a great day shopping. Sorry the swimsuit shopping didn’t go well. I’m hoping to get a speedo swimsuit for when I swim laps. Then waiting until I’m closer to my goal weight for getting a cuter swimsuit for the summer. I’m sorry you have been so stressed lately. Job related issues are very stressful add to that helping Tyler move, and not being able to run without foot pain, your plate is full. I hope you find a way to help you relax and cope.

Jaccilatt5- Great job on getting so many of your goals and your only half way through! Awesome job on the weight loss keep up the good work.

Spellbinder-A 3 week vacation would be nice. Glad to see you back!

Kbell- I might need your recipe for the beef and veggie slow cooker stew. It sounds good!

Edryer- glad you had a good weigh in and your feeling better!

AFM- I weighed in today and lost 0.8lb. I'm excited because I think upping my calories actually works better for me. I get to eat more and lose weight! :love: Today I start week 3 of the c25k program. I'm a little nervous. Hopefully I can keep up the pace I've been running for the new routine. I also have only 3 days left of my level 2 30 day shred, and I'm worried about level 3, but to get my goal for the month of finishing the 30 day shred I will have to try and push my way through. On a funny note I bought a cardio dance workout video from Dancing with the Stars. I tried it the other day when no one was around, and it was comical. I forgot how uncoordinated I am in the dancing division. I think I will stick with running and jillian michaels video for now. Have a great Wednesday
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    Meag - I can only speak for myself - but I don't think you should feel guilty about not being able to be on here all the time. Even though I LOVE MFP (I think we all do) and I DO think that it's important, i think that real life is more important. And we're on here talking about how we want to get healthier - 4 hours of sleep!! Poor you - I could not handle that, I'd be a zombie. You are a superwoman! I think you deserve a break.

I know that we all greatly appreciate you on here (you are totally our "leader") but because we love you we want you to take care of yourself first! I hope you get a chance to relax this weekend (after your 5km) and that it can be guilt free relaxing. Rest is an important part of health. blah blah I know this isn't anything new to you. Just wanted to give you my permission to not be everywhere all the time. :wink: since obviously it's my decision. :tongue: Enjoy your weekend!

AFM

Yesterday had some unexpected turns. Had my food all packed - hit the road to get all my stuff done. On my last stop I got back into my car only to find it completely dead. (Those who have been reading my car drama since February, YES this ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME! haha) Anyway - after some deliberation, two phone calls to my husband, the purchase of a pair of needlenose pliers and my probably getting battery acid on my hands I managed to get the car to start. (I should also add that my Dad drove over and helped me and that I am not some super car girl) Since it was still in need of a minor fixin' I drove to my parents which was much closer and waited for my Dad to get off to work to fix it. I also excluded how when I had to go BACK into Canadian Tire to buy the pliers a Reese's Easter Egg somehow made it into my possession, and then into my belly. Once at my parents I ended up going out for dinner with them to Chili's. Now I looked up all the nutrition information and made what I think to my a pretty healthy choice. I actually managed to stay in my calories despite everything! Although my fat content was SUPER high. yikes.

At the moment I'm sipping my coffee getting ready to brave the double-class madness. (my paper is still anxiously awaiting me to work on it..oops) An hour of spin followed by an hour weight circuit class. I poured some gatorade into my waterbottle to get my through it. Usually I wouldn't advocate two hours of straight exercise but tomorrow is a rest day and I could really use the *kitten*-kicking after yesterday. I also have to work tonight so it's gonna be a long day.

Have a good weekend girls.

meal plan today
    #1 - ww egg muffin
    #2 (PWO) - pp shake - 1/2c apple cinnamon cheerios
    #3 - toast & cottage cheese
    #4 - chicken veggie soup
    #5 - greek yogurt with berries
    #6 - apple with cinnamon (if I'm hungry at work tonight)

Ahh Kelly...er I mean Erin I think you hit the nail on the head....MFP ROCKS and is very important in this process but I agree...you have to take care of things in the real world...I :heart: mfp as much as the next person but somedays it takes all I have to log my calories....and I don't have time to even get to the boards....
  • jbars11
    jbars11 Posts: 71
    Options
    Ok, so after a few days away I see Meag called me a slacker...ha ha...just kidding...but seriously here is my check in.

I'm having total mommy guilt about working out. It's slowly starting to get nicer out here any son loves to be outside and active....when I drive off to head to the gym I feel so bad leaving...Mommies...I need help/advice.....

On a side note I need to MAJORLY step up my water intake.....
  • cheralicia
    Options
    Hello all... humongous selfish post/rant...But I'll try to keep it short.

I have been so all over the place and not keeping up with anything. So much stress going on with work and law school apps, it's absolutely way too much to handle. On top of it, one of my good friends just moved to the city and I spent the first half of March having way too much fun with her and trying to ignore all the other BS going on. Aka - a lot of going out and drinking combined with some bad late night food choices. Of the food, I still try to maintain my restrictions, but even still - it hasn't been good. Gym-wise I kind of did the bare minimum but not enough to counteract the binge behaviour.

So I step on the scale this morning - the 3lbs I fought tooth and nail to lose are back...plus they brought a couple friends. 5lbs! I've been avoiding the scale because of this...so sad! Sucks because I'm at the point where it's the last few lbs to lose, and it always happens this way.

Anyway, lucky for me my friend is feeling the weight gain too so she's on board.

I'm in dire need of some motivation, gonna get caught up on the thread because I've been MIA and it moves so fast! Hopefully hearing about all your March goals will kick my *kitten* in gear... I'll start replying soon.

I hope everyone else is having a better day!
  • cheralicia
    Options
    @jbars - I'm not a mommy but do you like to do any of your exercise outside? I guess it would be the most natural suggestion, to try and incorporate at least some of your routine outside with your son so you don't feel guilty when you want to do a more intense routine at the gym?

I always see mothers jogging with their children in strollers and they seem to be enjoying the ride, and get to be outside. You can hit up a park, do a little running around with him, maybe hook up with other moms and go for walks?
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Jbars- what cheralicia said is great advice! How old is your son? I have a 3 yo girl and running up and down the sidewalks with her riding her bike is keeping me active. On days when I just need light exercise, like on a recovery day, I still put her in the stroller and go for a long walk around the neighborhood. If your son is big enough to play on playground equipment, that can still be some good exercise chasing him around the playground equipment and lifting him up and down. I have never counted calories from that but surely it is as much as you would do on a rest day.

That said, lol, I am totally slacking in the exercise portion of this week! I ran on Sunday but it was only a short run because I got new running shoes on Saturday and I didn't want to overdo it. I have just been run into the ground this week with life though! I am definitely going to Zumba class with the most intense instructor at my gym tonight, but then I will be out of town and unable to exercise on Thursday and Friday.

I have met one of my March goals of losing 4 lbs but I still have to get on my bike more! Ahh...my sprint tri is fast approaching and I am totally unprepared for the bike part!
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bstamps- You still have some time so I am sure that if you start now and put your mind to it you will be kick *kitten* at the bike part of your tri in no time! Keep up the great work!

cheralicia- Welcome Back!! You have the right idea of just getting back on track and that is totally awesome that your friend is going to join as well.

jbars- I'm sure you will figure out a way to work in your workouts and time outside with your son. Just keep trying new things until you find what works best for both you and him.

meag- I can only speak for myself, but we don't want our fearless leader so concerned about us that she forgets to take care of herself. So I say- take your time, work on you, and try and think about all the amazing things you have in your life. If I find myself getting really negative I always list a few things I am truly thankful for and that generally makes me feel MUCH better. Good luck! HUGS!

AFM- I took today off from exercising because my legs are so sore from my killer spin and mini bootcamp yesterday. Tomorrow is a regular bootcamp class, and the instructor informed us that is going to be a lot more weights- which I am very thankful for, but I will have to find a way to get my cardio in. Actually it might be a good thing, because I am still struggling with 2.5 miles and I need to hit it this week with confidence in order to move on to 2.75 and then 3 and then 3.1 to complete my goal of being able to run a 5k without stopping by the end of the month. In other news, I am having some food struggles lately with temptations and such every where so I am really struggling. I am still making my clean recipes, but some of them aren't as good as others, and just in general I have felt really tired and worn out. I told my husband that I need his help getting back on the healthy eating wagon because right now I'm holding on by like three fingers and I don't want to go backwards. Needless to say, because I have been eating pretty crappy I don't think my 7lbs this month is going to happen, but I'm not worried about it and I'm just going to keep putting on foot in front of the other. This is a good test because it won't be the last time I have these struggles and I need to figure out a way to work through them. I think I might leave work a little early today because I am still feeling pretty tired (which my bad eating is probably not helping this!) and just rest and start fresh tomorrow. Its always a new day!

Keep up the great work!

Megan