Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    By the way...I have forsythia bushes blooming now and snow flurries predicted tonight:noway:

I wish I could send you some forsythia blooms and daffodils, Sandy.
  • lyn54
    Options
    Hi again...thought everyone might need a smile or laugh.......:wink:

Three mischievous old Grandmas were sitting on a bench outside a nursing home

when an old Grandpa walked by.

And one of the old Grandmas yelled out saying, 'We bet we can tell exactly how old you are.'

The old man said, 'There is no way you can guess it, you old fools.'

One of the old Grandmas said, 'Sure we can! Just drop your pants and under shorts and we can tell your exact age.'

Embarrassed just a little, but anxious to prove they couldn't do it, he dropped his drawers.

The Grandmas asked him to first turn around a couple of times and to jump up and down several times.

Then they all piped up and said, 'You're 87 years old!'

Standing with his pants down around his ankles, the old gent asked,' How in the world did you guess?'

Slapping their knees and grinning from ear to ear, the three old ladies happily yelled in unison - - 'We were at your birthday party yesterday!
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Right, this time I plan to stay!! The computer still wasn't wonderful so the engineer popped back yesterday afternoon and so far so good!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANDY:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: If I knew how I'd post a pretty picture. One of these days I'll get the hang of it.

Went swimming this morning for an hour so am feeling good. Also, after taking everyone's advice about not worrying about scales and weighing myself I have noticed I'm feeling fitter and.... I was going to type slimmer but think less fat would be the correct term!! I won't have time to read all the posts I missed in the past week so will do my best to catch up with what's happening to everyone as I go along but do hope there haven't been too many traumas.

Great to be back.

Jackie

P.S Lynn Just read your joke and laughed out loud!!!
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    The treatment for Jerry is about to get started He is to go Up to the cancer treatment Monday to talk to the doctors about it. and then in 2 or 3 days it will begin. .
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Finally to begin, eh Marie? You may be doing the gardening this year, Jerry will be busy! Will he be picked. Up again on Monday? How did he like that, by the way? I know he is going to have good days and not so good when he will be tired. Maybe some of the sneakers can give you a better picture based on their experiences.
    Anyway, we are here for you and Jerry and Alice too.
    Jackie, glad you got your pc fixed and hope it stays that way! Swimming sounds like fun. The expensive gym in town has swimming pools, indoor and out. I didnt want to join it coz it was so much money, so no winter swims for me.
    More later
  • lyn54
    Options
    My heart is with you, Marie:flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I hope not Phoebe. This is radiationals they are talking about.. Yes he will be going by bus. . He said he would take his car for he had to wait on the other passengers to get thei treatmen. Said he could be home a lot sonners. It is just 30 miles away but the traffic is terrible. That way. Its only a 6 passengers van so there is no way I can go with him. Will that make him sick. We were pretty shook up this monday We have calm down some now.
  • lyn54
    Options
    :smile: Hi,
    I know you all somtimes wonder if this is what I do all day. Well, today you would be right. I went to chiropractor yesterday. I had ribs on both sides out, collar bone out, as well as jaw, neck ...etc.. I am having to take it easy today. I am very sore. Don't want these babies to get out again. So it's the pc or reading. I've been doing both. I have also been catching up on my friends on here and some pc work that my DH wanted me to do. :smile: I don't watch TV very much. The commercials trigger eating.

My 3 year-old grandson was over here earlier. His nose is dripping. I offered him a tissue and he said, "Grandmother, don't need one, I have my sleeve." :noway: Little boys, you have to love them.:love:

Marie, a line in your last post brought this song back to my mind. (you know me and songs.) There are some songs that could apply to lovers, children and friends.
    This was composed by Debbie Boone...back in the day.

So many nights I sit by my window
    Waiting for someone to sing me a song,
    So many dreams I kept deep inside me
    Alone in the dark but now
    You've come along

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days
    and fill my nights with song

Rollin' at sea, adrift on the water
    Could it be finally I'm turning for home?
    Finally, a chance to say hey,
    I love You
    Never again to be all alone

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days

You light up my life
    You give me hope
    To carry on
    You light up my days

It can't be wrong
    When it feels so right
    'Cause You
    You light up my life
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Lynn. Maddi told me to go to youtube and i could hear it pretty often Love that song for you all do light up my life. Thanks you all. I can hear you singing it now.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You see Marie, Lynn and I think alike! You light up our lives!

I don't think that radiation will make him sick but there will be certains things that he will have to be careful about. I'm sure the doc will explain. Well, I'm not sure the doc will but someone will. They should give him everything in writing so he doesn't have to remember it all. Radiation works really well on local spots. Keep your heart open, all will be ok!

mytoy.jpg
  • lyn54
    Options
    This is for all of you but Judi(Old Tyke) in particular. I am sure you are aware that the Beatles influenced our music. It still does.
    This is a song all of us would love to be able to sing. Hopefully soon.
    You can hear this on Youtube.com.

Something you should know about Here Comes The Sun Lyrics

Title: The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun lyrics

Artist: The Beatles Lyrics

Visitors: 450133 visitors have hited Here Comes The Sun Lyrics since June 03, 2010.
    Download & Listen to
    "Here Comes The Sun" for Free
    Listen to The Beatles songs for free!

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter
    Little darling, it feels like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been here
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun
    and I say it's all right

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes...

Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
    Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
    Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
    and I say it's all right
    It's all right

Does this not fit our weather situations for the majority AND our feelings about it. Except Buzz and some lucky ones who live in Florida.:happy:

I'll try to shut up now.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks you so much Maddie, You and lynn really know how to lift a person up/Thanks to both of you. How are feeling today.?
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Sandy! Hope you are having a wonderful day. Let everyone spoil you.

Marie, you are on my mind. Sending love to you and Jerry. I will be thinking of Alice tomorrow. Glad Kathy will be there.

I am on my way to the city for more appliance quotes. Dave just reminded me (like I would forget). Ha!

Back later, take care. Gayla :heart:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Maybe he wont feel sick from radiation. My aunt had radiation first, then chemo. She never got sick, never lost hair. She had expected both to happen. Lol, she thought she would lose weight, so she ate everything in sight, of course she gained weight, and never got sick, so she had to diet!
    Her only side effects were a feeling of sunburn, reddened skin, and tiredness.
    it would help you both to go on that first visit with the actual doctors that will do the treatment and take a list of questions with you. If you are up to it, it might ease your minds to meet them. Maybe someone in your family can volunteer to drive you on one trip, then Jerry can use their van service after that. Your children may have questions about the treatment that you have not thought of. Especially if you have anyone in your family in the medical field.

That is a beautiful song Lynn!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks GAYLa. We are bless to have our kids here. Bruce has been calling more regular now.
    Dave is doing a compleat make over, You are going to have to take some pictures and POst them.
    How is the boy doing. ? I know you are ready for spring. We had a little cool spelled lately but climbing back up gain.
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just caught up and now I understand what's going on with you and Jerry, Marie. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for the radiation as I haven't experienced that myself or with family. But, I can pray for you all, so that's my input!

I didn't allow myself to spend time on Sneakers today unless I put my sneakers into action which is exactly what I've done so I'm feeling really good right now. :happy: After delivering the leftovers from the luncheon to shut-ins this morning, the last stop was near Target, so I treated myself to strolling around Target. That was my warmup. Then I headed over to the mall to mallwalk, something I've never done. I was meant to be there at that time because when I entered the mall I saw two gals right away mallwalking, so I asked them what the distance was etc. It's .8 mile one lap around, so I did 2 laps today in 26 minutes, and really enjoyed myself. There was a bunch of old guys sitting outside Macy's and they were cheering me on. What a hoot! I've been promising myself Leslie Sansone, so I think I'll do her one-mile walk in a little while. Eating's going well today, too.

I have something wierd going on with my left eye that started last night. :noway: There's a floater that is different and I keep thinking I'm seeing a spider out of the corner of my eye. It's driving me crazy. Guess I'd better call the eye doctor. Two of the meds I'm on can directly effect the eye, so I'd best not fool with it.

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day; Dee wants to go out and play.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Dee,I am glad you gave us a shorted name to called you some of us older one has problems wit longer names like me. Sound like you have had a pleasnt day. are you sill going to WW.? Its has been around along time. It does work. And a good Program. I made Life time abck in 1969 Now I am following OA 90 day plan.
    We have another PA. member hereHer name is <amassota We called her Maddie for short. What a hoot she is. Keep up the good work.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Marie said:
    I hope not Phoebe. This is radiationals they are talking about.. Yes he will be going by bus. . He said he would take his car for he had to wait on the other passengers to get thei treatmen. Said he could be home a lot sonners. It is just 30 miles away but the traffic is terrible. That way. Its only a 6 passengers van so there is no way I can go with him. Will that make him sick. We were pretty shook up this monday We have calm down some now.

Again, Marie, maybe I can answer some of your questions. This is still very fresh in my mind, and since our Lori's treatment involved some of the same area that Jerry will be treated for I can suggest what you might expect.

First, and I hope this doesn't freak you out, Jerry may have to wear a kind of whole head mask during his treatment. It reminded me of the masks the Knights of the Round Table wore. It is meant to hold his head in the same position for each treatment. It doesn't hurt but some people find it really uncomfortable.

Some side effects you can expect include Hair loss (more traumatic for women then men), skin irritation at the treatment site, and fatigue. When the head and neck are being treated he might experience a dry mouth, thickened saliva, difficulty swallowing, sore throat, changes in the way food tastes, earaches, sore jaw, and nausea. It is different in each person and he may experience some but not all of these. Our Lori always loved chocolate and after radiation treatments she said it, and all kinds of other things, didn't taste good anymore. She also experienced the sore jaw and the two things combined made mealtimes difficult. We tried to fix tasty meals and she'd just push her plate away. If Jerry doesn't want to eat the meals you fix, don't take it personally.

His oncologist will certainly have more information. Is there no way you can make the trip with him? Two sets of ears listening are sometimes better than one. Men tend to downplay things they are told (sorry to any men on the forum) and to hear only what they want to hear.

Your plate is certainly full my dear, and I don't mean your dinner plate. I'm not much of a Bible quoter but in Philippians 4:13, it says I CAN do all things through Him who strengthens me. It's one of the few Bible passages I remember and it's gotten me through some rough patches.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Sandy - I celebrated yesterday for you .
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Grandee--
    Call your eye doctor IMMEDIATELY!!! I am quite familiar with the symptoms you describe. They can be indicative of a detached retina which is serious and requires IMMEDIATE TREATMENT to avoid vision loss. The symptoms can also indicate a vitreous separation inside the eye. This is not as serious--just annoying as hell since you just have to put up with it.

That is what happened to me last Sept. and I am still experiencing spots before my eyes now and then. This condition usually occurs after a person is over 50 years and is more common in nearsighted people.

I am not kidding about the need for an immediate medical exam, preferably an opthalmologist. If you read this too late in the day to visit a dr. office today, I suggest calling the ER to see if an opthalmologist is available on call. Please don't delay. Your vision is at stake.

Barb

Good luck!!

PS. Edited to add. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SANDY!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: