Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Oh you gals are round up today. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Barb you are funny!

When I was very, very sick. I was told to look for funny things. To laugh as much as possible. I have had many horrible things in my life to deal with....yet I have a happy life. A good friend once told me that I was the only one who could really make me happy. I get "down."..I haven't lost any weight since December. I have stayed the same...well that is something...isn't it? That however is not what my entire life is based on...and THAT is what I have to remember. So humor, from childhood, until now...is what gets me through. I look for humor in things. I laugh at myself. If I start to take myself too seriously, then I start down a road to become depressed. I think everyone needs some "down" time but if you stay there more than a few days or a week...it becomes a problem. When I sense others struggling...I want to help them laugh too.

I heard a speaker the other day talk about prayer. She said that once you have prayed...don't stay sad-faced...that it isn't required for your prayers to be answered. If we pray a prayer and God hears it...we then have to have faith to believe in what we pray. There are always positive things...even in trouble our hearts can have comfort. That is what I pray for all of you who are having troubles, sickness, and whatever troubles your hearts.

In the meantime, if I can make you smile...it makes me smile....:smile:
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A senior moment

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get started."

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a rooster."

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns to her and says,

"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............

Now, lets put all these cornflakes back in the box.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    (You're going to hate me for this.)

'ARTIE CHOKES 2 for $1.00 @ WAL-MART!'

Gives a new slant to veggies :laugh: :laugh:

One of the first jobs I had after high school was at a radio station where I did a little of everything, including writing copy for our advertisers, one of which was W. T. Grant, a small, department-type store that was having a clearance sale on children's clothing. Imagine our announcers chagrin when he read my copy cold and live. It plainly said "Young girls panties are down at W. T. Grant".
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh Lynn, I just had to respond to what you said about humor, prayer etc. I am helping a 50-year gal from church "retrain" her brain. She was struck down by seizures 7 years ago and it's changed her life dramatically. After 7 years of working with Hopkins on her recovery, she's been told "this is as good as it gets" and she didn't respond well to that news. Understand, she has a pacemaker in her brain, and other "gadgets" that were supposed to work, but alas, they don't. :ohwell: That's when they asked me to help her develop skills for her "new normal" and to look forward instead of back at what she used to be able to do. She has a deep faith, but after being told she will never be independent again, her glass became half empty instead of her usual half full. I'm always looking for things to share with her that have to do with attitude, and what you wrote today fits the bill. If it's okay with you, I'd like to share what you wrote with her.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    So do you ladies know that you are choking me to death with all of these funny jokes???? :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I WANT TO ASK A QUESTION OR TWO: WHO REMEMBERS COLLECTING GREEN STAMPS AND WHAT DID YOU GET WITH THEM?

WHO ELSE HAD A WT GRANT STORE, GC MURPHEY'S, WOOLWORTH'S OR MCCRORYS. WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST MEMORY OF THIS STORE???
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    I remember green stamps, but can' t remember what my mother got with them. I worked in a "dime store" which I believe was Woolworths and my biggest memory is taking a piece of paper and writing Hi My Name is Sandy and pinning it on my shirt. I do believe I invented the name tag, but maybe I just stole the idea from somewhere else. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love all the jokes they are really funny and made me laugh out loud. LOL
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I WANT TO ASK A QUESTION OR TWO: WHO REMEMBERS COLLECTING GREEN STAMPS AND WHAT DID YOU GET WITH THEM?

At the chain where I shopped they were Gold Stamps, redeemable for cash. Each of my kids had their own stamp book. They were paid for doing chores around the house with stamps. Five stamps for setting the table, two for making their bed, and so on. When their books were filled they could redeem them for $3.00 in CASH!!! A fortune in the 60s, especially if you were 7 or 8.

WHO ELSE HAD A WT GRANT STORE, GC MURPHEY'S, WOOLWORTH'S OR MCCRORYS. WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST MEMORY OF THIS STORE???

As a kid we had a Ben Franklin store. There was a moving pony outside named Sandy. For a nickel you could get a nice, long ride. There's a wonderful Facebook page called I Grew Up in Port Washington. There are hundreds of pictures posted there of the little city where I grew up, including some of the Ben Franklin store.

As a young married woman in a larger city, we had Kresge's, W. T. Grant, Woolworth, Murphey's, Sears & Roebuck and J. C. Penney and a local department store named Prange's. (It's still around but is currently a Boston Store)
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options

I tried to but my kids used them to get tickets to Six flags. i mention this in facebok to my son when Six flags had there 50 anniversaryI think it was Irene who made a comment that there are still some green stamps places and they still will buy them back Google it and find out more. And Irene can tell you more. I think she said she got her firat cookwear thru them. My father had a grocer in my teens and somehow you got cookwear and difference thing if you spent do muuch

We had a WT grant store in downtown Dallas I work there as a young Bride Road a Streetcar to work..So poor would buy a 10 cents hot dog off of a vender on the street. Later as I got a better job in a Bank after work I would go there to shop and buy
    brownies and take them to see a Movie while I waited for my bus. It was the Greyhound bus line to take me home

Do anyone reminber getting cups and things in quaker Oats znd getting a nickle out of a peanut pkg. I learn the sound of th nickle and could pick them out real quick till my Daddy found out about it and made me quit getting them. It was just a small grocer stor.e he would take orders and delivery them He would dress chickens on Saturday for the customers who order them for there Sunday Dinner. Sugar was ration during world War 2
    We had a Woolworth in the first Mall in Dallas Actually it was in Mesquite Called Big Town Mall. They tore it down just this year. but lots of M. E. Moses 5 &10 in all the neighborhood no Menorys of McCorys or murpheys The built a new Mall several year ago called Town East Mall.
  • lyn54
    Options
    I remember Woolworth's and Green Stamps. :smile: There was also yellow stamps.(Top Value maybe??)..they had a special name but I don't remember what it was. I "bought" my first charcoal grill with green stamps. I also "bought" Corning Ware. There were several other things...but alas, I have forgotten what they were. Re: Woolworth's...one Easter they had a table with glass all round the edges and all different color chicks inside the glass. Mom let us buy a purple chick one year. We took it home and that night some animal must have ate it because we never saw it again. We had it in a box on the back porch but..???
    Woolworth's also had a counter with stools. We thought it was a great treat to sit and order a hotdog or sundae there.

This past fall, while going through some things of my mom's, we found books of ration stamps. I didn't live in that era but my mom did. She was a small child. That was tough time.

I love to sit with people older than me and hear about their lives. Just like the story, you told Marie, that is so interesting to me.:flowerforyou: I wish I had written every story people had told to me. It's a lot of history.

We also had JC Penney's and Sears, Roebuck and Company. I remember a Grant's but not W.T. Grants.

Sandy: I like your story about Woolworth's.:smile:
    Connie- I am going to look up that website. That sounds interesting.:flowerforyou:

Grandee-I think of it as an honor that you would want to use something I have said to help someone. I pray that it touches her.:smile:

Jeannie(pq)-Judi-and anyone else jump in and tell us about your history...:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    Judy, I like your joke:laugh: There were several funny stories...:happy:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Hi Sneakers! You're all too funny tonight!

Judy (i think it was you, i didn't take notes) i love the rooster jigsaw puzzle story!

Connie - actually it's Manna Pro who's interested in distributing one of our products. we'll have to see how the meeting goes but it could be cool!

I had a good workout today at the gym - hoping tomorrow to be able to walk the dogs after work. Then i have to grocery shop for decadent food to fix for dillon's birthday on thursday.

right now though - i'm going to hit the sack! :yawn:

love and hugs,

elli
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    At last I have found you!:embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

I have been gone a week to Oregon and caught up a whole year's bookkeeping for my son's construction business. I was "chained" to the the desk for long days, but I got it done and the information ready for the tax people. I did get away on Thursday evening to have dinner with three of my (four) brothers and my (only) sister at Izzy's. Then on Sunday we all went to the church one of my brothers pastors, then spent the entire day at his house eating, laughing, taking pictures and having lots of fun. I missed seeing my fourth brother, but he was busy being pastor of another church. It was a blessed day.

I haven't read the postings yet. I will have to get to that tomorrow. In the morning I am taking Mariah (5) to the Northtown Mall. She wants to "hang out at the mall." What we acturally do is go to the playground in the center of the mall and I read while she plays. When she gest hungry we go to the food court, then back to the playground for more fun. I am the only one that is willing to stay there as long as she wants to.

I have a confession to make my friends. I'm "using" you!!! The personal experience stories I post here I then copy and paste to the informal family history I am writing for my kids. This is easier and so much more fun to share the stories with you as I write than if I were just working away "alone." Thank you so much!!! And I really enjoy when you share your own stories. Then I feel as though I really know you. I'm so happy to be on MFP with all of you.

God Bless.
  • lyn54
    Options
    Glad you are safely back, Irene. We all missed you!:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Judy, I loved the rooster puzzle story

:flowerforyou: the puzzle story reminds me of the story of the two friends who went into an ice cream shop to celebrate finishing a difficult jigsaw puzzle......naturally someone asked about the puzzle and one of the friends said, "well, the box said 3-5 years and we finished it in only two weeks"

:flowerforyou: Jake took a friend out to lunch today for the friend's birthday and they had so much food that he brought me a doggie bag.....later while he was out with another friend, I got out my chopsticks and enjoyed the chicken and bok choy with green barley noodles

:flowerforyou: Sandy, this is the first time I've known what Fat Tuesday was about.....if I had known earlier in the day I would have eaten a bunch of goodies even though we don't observe lent :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: I remember S&H Green Stamps and Blue Chip Stamps.......I remember getting two beach chairs with my Blue Chip Stamps....I remember the lunch counter at Woolworth's and the yarn I bought there

:flowerforyou: Elli, I'm glad you had a good time with Kodi Grace......I'll miss you while you're gone

:flowerforyou: Irene, I missed you while you were gone.....I'm glad you had good visits with your family.

:flowerforyou: Marie, stay in the moment and try not to fret over all the unknowns right now
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sorry - the pic of the rooster on the cornflakes box did not copy, so story fell a bit flat..never mind, just as well we all have good imaginations LOL had a big day mowing lawns for a friend whose property we are maintaining...hubby is going away for 2 weeks hunting and fishing down in Stewart Island, so it had to be done today even though we have had heavy rain and it was quite hard to do with wet grass.....Stewart Island is actually NZ's 3rd island but not many people have ever heard of it.. at least .i'll be able to eat what I like, but don;t know whether that's a terribly good thing..

off to have an early night - will be an early start in the morning.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    What a fun bunch you all are! Irene, glad you are back. Elli, be safe and good luck on your upcoming trip.
    ill never see a box of cornflakes without smiling after tonight.
    barbie, that explains why I haven't finished my puzzle yet!
    Lynn, i believe in angels unaware, you have helped a stranger today, nothing better than to go to sleep with that under your pillow.
    marie, wish I could lift the worry from your shoulders, but I can only try to keep you company.

Marie, did the Woolworths in Mesquite have a cafe in it? If so, I remember going in there at the mall in Mesquite! We ate there, walked thru the mall, and I think we went to a movie. It was over 25 years ago! We got a parking ticket(no trucks allowed) and we never went back.

I remember green stamps, yellow ones, and gold ones. I loved the stamp catalogs.
    I remember Ben Franklin, T.G.&Y. Stores
    I love the diner style dishes. Homer Laughlin, and Buffalo china, with green stripes on them. I've collected them. Love the coffee cups, so small compared to my big mugs.
  • lyn54
    Options
    Connie your story was funny too! What haven't you done in your life, girl?:huh:

Marie, one other thing, I remember well the glasses and dishes that came out of Wedding Oats? They are collectors items at antique stores now...and I bet my mom has some in her garage..she has some of everything else.:happy: :tongue:

I am wide awake again. I took a Bennedryl...is that how it is spelled...I'm too tired to know...do you write or type words and then the more you look at them ...the more you don't know if they are correct...well that is the place I am at.

Phoebe..what you said about angels..makes me feel very humble...I don't in any way see myself as an angel..Thank you:heart:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all. I think you all are angels! and comedians. I really needed a laugh tonight and I had many laugh out loud moments. Thank you all for that. I think I have made some decisions about appliances. Of course, I didn't find one place that has everything I want. After being the Queen of my kitchen for so many years I am not prepared to settle for something I don't love. Every time I hear a price I wonder where I could travel to for that!! We should be done in a month or so and then take a break before we start the living room and dining room. Dave is having problems with a sore hip so I will be glad when he gets a break for a while.

Neil's toe is infected.:frown: He saw the surgeon today and he took out the pin (hook as Neil calls it). He said it should quickly stop hurting with the metal out of it and a week of antibiotics. Neil called me a couple of times, very angry about life in general but especially about being back in the wheelchair and the after taste of the pills seems to be putting him over the edge.:explode: I told him he needed to get off the phone, settle down and call me back when he was in a better mood. I dozed off watching TV and when I woke up I realized he had not called me back. I felt terrible that he went to bed so upset with the world, especially me. I called the home and was happy to hear one of Neil's favorite caregivers there. He said Neil went to bed early and went to sleep. I hope he calls in the morning. He calls most mornings and says "I thought you might have been sleeping" which of course I was. Dave and I both think that is very funny. :laugh:

Marie -- you and Jerry will be in my thoughts tomorrow. I will pray for good news.

Elli -- thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to my new kitchen.

Irene -- Glad you are back with us. We missed you. You were a very busy girl!!

I was going to say more but my brain is dead!! Can't think, brain dumb, inspiration won't come!! I remember someone writing that in my autograph book many, many years ago. Not sure why it popped into my head. I bet you all had autograph books. So much fun. I think I still have mine somewhere, tucked away in a drawer or box.

Take care and keep smiling. Off to bed for me. Gayla :smile: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So Connie,

I guess your ad copy left the announcer's tongue "flapping in the breeze" along with those little girl undies!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Regarding the questions about green stamps. Yes we had them, but I can't remember what we redeemed them for.

Does anyone else remember getting glassware at the gas station? Mobil had glasses that you got with a purchase of so many gallons, or maybe it was with a fillup. Anyway, we had a whole cupboard full of them. When I moved my parents out of their house, I donated some of them to the Salvation Army, but kept a few as a souvenir. We also have some very large glasses that are actually "King Kelly" marmalade containers, minus the snap-on lid.

As far as stores, there was a Woolworth's both in my little (at that time) town, and across the river in Portland. It was always a treat to have lunch at the fountain/lunch counter when we went across the river to downtown Portland. In the 60's a shopping mall called Lloyd Center was built northeast of downtown, and their was a Woolworth's there also with a fountain/lunch counter. I used to buy makeup and nail polish at Woolworth's when I was in junior high and high school. I can remember when 25 cents was a good price for a bottle of Cutex polish!!

Heck, I can remember when my parents paid 10.9 cents a gallon for gasoline!!:noway: When I filled up my newly purchased car for the first time in 1972, I paid a whopping 37.9 cents per gallon. Yesterday, I filled up at Costco yesterday and paid $3.499 :grumble: :mad:

There was also another chain called Sprouse-Reitz. After it was no longer in existence, I discovered my parents' sailboat was moored next to the son of one of the founders. It is a small world.

Well, that is my trip down memory lane for now. Once again, I couldn't get to sleep, so I guess it will be nappy time later this morning.

Barb

Edited to add: Welcome home Irene!! By the time I caught up on the posts and read that you were coming to my neck of the woods, you were already here, and now you are back home. Glad you had a good visit with your family and got all your bookwork done.

Also, that rooster story was something to crow about!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, now I am really finished.