Senior Golden Sneakers -March 2011

Options

Replies

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    CONNIE wrote
    42 years ago today I lost a whole lot of weight. His name is Hal Jon and he was our second, but not last son. Whenever my kids celebrate a birthday, I try to remember what it was like when they were born. After all these years, I don't remember much, but back then they put women in labor to sleep. No epidural in 1969.

CONNIE, I slept through my firstborn's birth and never forgave myself, so I chose "Natural birth" for my darling second daughter, and it was a drawn-out nightmare, no epidurals (1952) and it was something like 14 hours labor with no one trained to help! But the bonding was immediate once she decided to arrive! My 3rd, a son, barely allowed us to get to the hospital, and was born just as they wheeled me, totally unprepped, into the delivery room! Wow, were those days different from today, when new Mothers are sent home the day they deliver! I had to stay in the hospital 7 days after my daughters were born, and 9 after my son, so he could be circumcised in the hospital!!! It was boring, maybe, but cirtainly I was more rested than today's new mothers, poor babies! :ohwell:

MARIE, glad Jerry's back home!

BARBIE, just Enjoy your special meal out! You are so disciplined you'll be right back on track immediately, and it'll never make a difference in the long (or even, short) run!

Buzz
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies;

Connie, thanks for the warning, we just had a session with that with my sister's account on yahoo. It is a good thing to write down everyfriends id number or have a secret word between you so you know you are talking to the right person.:glasses:

Barbie, peanut butter on a banana, frozen vanilla yogurt, and a drop of sugar reduced strawberry jam, and behold a banana split.:love:

No exercises today, however a 40 minute walk (brisk) and my buttocks are sore. The dentist wants more of me now! Oh man will this ever end. My fathers side of the family had bad teeth, most of them had dentures by the age of twenty. :sad:

Anyhoo another day down, have a good night all!

Marilyn:yawn:
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    hi all - hope everyone had a good beginning of the week.

I just did a prevention work out dvd and took a steam. Ihadn't steamed since i got my last tattoo 'cause it had to heal. Man i love that thing! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is going to renovate a bathroom - especially if you live in a dry climate like i do. Speaking of renovation - GAYLA, how's it going? When you talked about ripping up the floors - i remember it well! Hang in there- it will be worth it!

MARIE - i'm sure glad you didn't swallow your tooth. I hate tooth stuff - it's the WORST! You've had way too many challanges lately. Hang in there - you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. I know you said your granddaughter has had problems of her own - i sure hope she will get on a better path now.

BARBIE - i think it probably helps so much that you and Jake do all this diet/healthy lifestyle eating together. I'm a believer in whatever works for each individual. I'd miss crunchy food way too much if i tried to depend on shakes like you do. But clearly, it works for you!
  • elli
    Options
    oops - i didn't mean to post that already........

MADDIE - sure glad you got into the doc quick and got on meds. That HAS to be scary with your history! OMG - the puppy and the lipstick - too funny! Awesome that the doc commented on your weight loss!

CONNIE - thanks again for the facebook warnings - to me and everyone else! My niece said she was going to "report" it? hopefully it will be resolved. what a pain! Anyway - this is the REAL me!!!!!!

MARIE - you're right - there's no pain (that i know of) worse than labor - that's why we women have the babies! God knew men couldn't handle that kind of pain!!!!!!!!!! The thing though (i always tell my doula clients) it WILL get over and when it does - you get the BEST prize!!!!!!!!!! I've always been an orgo/natural/old hippie girl. I would have had homebirths but the boys dad was SO against it. I never had any painkillers or anything and with my 1st i went home in 6 hours. i stayed a night with the second one.

OK guys - i'm getting up even earlier than usual to go babysit my baby granddaughter! woot hoooooooooot! talk to you all tomorrow.

love,

elli
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

My mind is all abuzz trying to wrap my brain around all the goings on. Some really funny posts, some anxious news and definitely lots of inspiration for me. You are all a great group.

My day was going great (I walked 2 miles on my treadmill) until I developed a nasty bout of cystitis. At least that's what it seems to be. Awful, awful, awful. However I was able to get into an after-hours clinic and now have a prescription. Sure hope it works. It could be an awful night tonight. No doubt I won't be up extra early to get my treadmill workout in.

Do any of you have a heart monitor? I'm wanting to buy one. I want to track time, distance, calories burned and I'd like It to have a gps for outside walks. I find things like that inspirational. My Mom gave me some $$$$ for Christmas and it is burning a hole in my pocket. LOL

Until tomorrow. Keep up the good work and laugh lots.

Jeri in Calgary Alberta
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Jeri said:
    Do any of you have a heart monitor? I'm wanting to buy one. I want to track time, distance, calories burned and I'd like It to have a gps for outside walks. I find things like that inspirational. My Mom gave me some $$$$ for Christmas and it is burning a hole in my pocket. LOL

Hi, Jeri,

I have and use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and find it very easy to use. It looks like a clunky watch but it's not too clunky so is comfortable. It comes with a very comfortable chest strap and a transmitter. It stores up to 10 "training" files. It can be programmed for your height, weight and age. It calculates your training zone based on what you want to do - cardio or fat burn.

You can wear the chest strap without the watch and the professional gym equipment will pick up your heart rate from the transmitter. I like to compare the two and find it very accurate. I believe I paid around $75 US for it. There are other more expensive models that actually hook up to your computer and download your information into an online program but I really only wanted to know how many calories I was burning. It doesn't have gps, or distance walked. There are higher priced models that will do all that.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Maddie,
    I LOVED the pic of the "lipstick" hound!! LOL

I am posting on my phone, so this will be a short one. I am laying in bed trying to sleep, hoping if I don't get up, I might get sleepy.

Marie,
    I hope things work out for Alice to have the small incision surgery. I had my procedure before I lost any weight & my surgeon planned all along to do it that way. I was at least 100 lbs. overweight at that time.

Connie,
    Jeff Gordon isn't really my type, but you GO girl!!

Well...still not tired, but my fingers are feeling this is a bit tedious, so bye for now.

Barb
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I,m on way to the airport, have a wonderful day everyone, I'll miss you all today, hope to be in touch tomorrow.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, busy Sneakers!
    marie, prayers for your family are being said. Hope Alice gets the less invasive surgery.
    barb, sorry you cant sleep. Sometimes my clock gets upset, and I stay up late and sleep late. I dont like it, but I do it again every time.
    Well, on a sour note, it looks like those who can will be growing our own food as much for necessity. As for pleasure. These gas prices will eventually coz the grocery prices to skyrocket, again. If I were eating bread, I guess it would be a good time to practice making it. Of course, frozen vegetables and such are still a good value right now.
    Dh is in walmart getting his glasses repaired. I decided not to go in. Wow! That is a big shock for me! Lol, although it would be good walking, I dont need to buy anything.
    Hope you all have good days and stay safe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sneakers, I have been up since 8:00AM. Had my coffee , breakfast and read all the post on MFP Just all of the sneakers. Well not all the post just . See we are going to have us some moderators here. That will be nice.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome moderators:heart::heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: Gigi. Have a safe trip, Hope you find your Mother in fine spirit
    Be looking for you to reporting in o us.

:flowerforyou: Barbs Sure hope you end up having a good night. Jeff Gordon is my Daughter 's man she buys everything that got his names on it..

:flowerforyou: Connie thats for the information on the scrams that is going on here. Be on the watch for it.

:flowerforyou: Jeri. doing good on you exercise Keep up on the good work

:flowerforyou: Elli, elli, Have a wonderful day with that precious grandaughter.

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, Look like you had a wonderful day yesterday.

:flowerforyou: Buzz. Interestingstory on Reader digest Article. What is your take on this diet I am on with Xyla. It is keeping me full and not wantingg any of the junk food i used to eat. But the cooking is a pain in the neck.

Will get to the rest of you when you post here. But do want to say Good morning to you all.. Where is Phoebe?? She must be in the drivers seat.? Good morning to Sandy, Gayla Barbiecat, she usally post in the evenings. Jeffrey is still MIA ,Sandy whats the lasted on Jeffrey from twitter? lynn hope you headache is better, Judi , Pam,

Well my mind has gone blank. and I can't find my list from Connie with all the names and where you are from, My daughter clean out my Word pad where I have save them , Heavens knows wher she put them. She was trying to put things in a folder. I found the birthday list but not the posters. And by the way we still lack some birthdays from some of the new ones I think. Let Sandy know your Birthday so we can celebrate with you. I think Connie is up on the new posters And connie I do need a update on the posters . Could \you send me a complete list again for Alice may have deleted my copy. Thanking you in advance
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Good afternoon sneakers,

Exercises done, and had a half hour with all my kids, they got a nice comb, with smelly shampoo dip, teeth brushed and faces wiped, boy, that was tiring, everyone but me got to nap!:ohwell:

Getting better at the exercises, I'm worried that soon I will be working the two jobs at normal pace again, less time, to spend on me and the babes. :grumble:

Time to get busy again, have a great day,

Marilyn:smile:
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. Still under the weather. Posted on main page that my antibiotic was changed because the first one was making me sick to my stomach. The steroids make me feel like bugs are crawling on me but they work so I'll just go with it. I've decided to name the bugs.

I think I will be feeling better tomorrow. This combination works rather quickly, at least, cross your fingers for me!!

I saw a few daffodil stalks coming up along my driveway....yea!!!

I tried to be funny yesterday with lipstick dog. Did you notice that in the second pic she had on booties to keep her out of trouble??? I may be funny tomorrow....I just don't know...hmmmmmm

:ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell: :ohwell:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Happy "Fat" Tuesday!!! For those of you not Catholic, tomorrow starts the 40 days of Lent and today is the day everyone eats everything in sight that they give up for Lent. :laugh: The Polish people, which I am, eat what is called paczki a pastry filled with fruit and cream and whatever. My DIL usually brings us two but I told her today not to bring them since they are filled with so many calories. :explode: Tomorrow we only eat three meatless meals with nothing in between and the Fridays of Lent are also meatless. :drinker: I usually give up all sweets during Lent but since I already watch my sugar I am going to give up all snacks and stick to fruit or yogurt. :bigsmile: I plan on doing this for the 40 days except for when Bryanna and I go to Arizona, although I will certainly try to stick with it even then. :glasses:

I am going to attempt to go back and respond to most posts, but if I miss someone please forgive me. :blushing: :blushing:

:flowerforyou: Maddie, you are funny everyday sick or not. :happy: And yes I did notice the booties on your very funny joke. I hope you feel better soon.

:flowerforyou: Marilyn, glad you are feeling better but please don't over do. Don't be letting that job interfere with your social life.

:flowerforyou: Marie, up bright and early, good for you. I hope your day is wonderful and things work out with Jerry and Alice.

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, just when my son is starting to get loads the gas goes up, it is a never ending battle.

:flowerforyou: Gigi, hope all works out with your mother.

:flowerforyou: Barb, I hate when I can't fall asleep but I make myself stay in bed to at least rest.

:flowerforyou: Connie, I ordered the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor on Amazon this morning.

:flowerforyou: Hi Jeri and welcome. Sorry about your bout of cystitis, not what you needed right now. Take it easy and take care of yourself.

:flowerforyou: Elli, hope you have a better day today and things are improved on Face Book.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, I had four C Sections so I didn't have any labor to speak of. The first one I was in "labor" for 2 days, but kept going up and down so when the babies heart beat was getting weaker they took him by C Section. I had a spinal and it was great although I was still in the hospital for over a week. The second I tried for a normal delivery but that didn't work and neither did the spinal which felt like they were sticking my body in an electric current each time they tried. So I was put to sleep and the last two they just again put me to sleep. Glad those days are over.

:flowerforyou: Barbie when I read your post about you going out for a dinner and not worry about calories I was so excited for you. I should have known better that you would consume so many calories. :laugh: We went to Panda Express for my granddaughters school fundraiser and I ordered the 250 calories broccoli and beef. My husband ordered the orange chicken with fried rice. He complained it was too spicy so I traded with him. When I got home and checked the calories of the orange chicken I almost had a heart attack. It was over a 1000 calories and I didn't even exercise yesterday so I wanted to just die. (well not really die but you know what I mean) I just want to stay home and eat my normal meals, now I understand what you mean. With my birthday being this week, I know I will be out more than usual so I am looking forward to Lent. (see above)

I think I have addressed everyone since my last post, at least I hope so. I am grateful for all of you and am happy even when I mess up with calories or exercise no one lectures me or makes me feel awful. Thank you all!!

Have a great day!!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hello Pretty Ladies,:flowerforyou:
    I have been reading to catch up. I had a headache most of the weekend and into yesterday. :tongue: Last night, I had 2 hours of sleep. After having migraines, you have that feeling for a while, that it could come back.:noway: I tried reading and doing some pc work last night and had to stop. I'll try to address each of you but I usually leave someone out. When I go back and look, it makes me feel "bad." That is not a good feeling to be the one left out. Just know when I do, it is never intentional.:flowerforyou:

Marie:flowerforyou: -My thoughts have been with you. I am sad that you are dealing with so many issues at one time. I am glad Jerry made it through his first treatment so well. I implore you to take care of yourself through all of this. We (I feel I can speak for all of us about this) do not want you to be sick.:noway:
    I remember seeing your lakes when I visited your city. They are huge and beautiful.:flowerforyou:
    Barbie- When my husband loses his wallet, I always look around the "john.":laugh: :happy:

Phoebe- I hope your trip back to Ca is a safe one.:flowerforyou: Even though Wally World is a good place to walk, I don't go in there either, unless it's a necessity. :noway:

Connie:flowerforyou: Thanks for letting me know about Irene. If that was in a post, I missed it. Our experiences having our children are probably all different. I was in labor 6 hours with my first son. I was in labor 2 hours with the second. I watched my DIL's go through many hours. (20+) I always reflect back to the day I had them. :heart: The time.:heart: All of it.:smile:

Gigi-:flowerforyou: Have a safe trip today. I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Jeri:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: -Welcome

Elli - I noticed you are spending quality time with your baby girl. Kodi Grace is a cute name.:love:

Buzz-:flowerforyou: I am so glad you have the "dreaded" tax info finished. That is such a "downer" for everyone. So glad you enjoyed your show. That was good timing after your taxes were finished. A lot of the Alternative Practitioners get a "bum wrap."

Gayla-I know you will be happier when Spring comes AND your remodeling is over and done with. I don't handle having my space "all in a tumble." I agree with Buzz you will have a new kitchen to enjoy.:flowerforyou:

Xyla- I think what you're doing to help Marie is wonderful!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Judy-:flowerforyou: I am so glad this site and your plan is working for you. Your country is still in my thoughts.:flowerforyou:

Maddie-:flowerforyou: I am glad to see you back. Hopefully, you will feel better tomorrow. Re: steroids, sometimes you just have to do what gets you through a "rough patch." I would suggest that you drink lots of water. The dog pictures were funny.:laugh: :laugh:

Jackie- So glad your pc is fixed again.:flowerforyou: None of us like it when that happens! :noway: I am lucky. My son lives next door. He can fix them.

Barb - your dreams are as weird as mine.:laugh: :laugh: Do you ever wonder where "stuff" like that comes from?:glasses:

Marilyn- You were awake when I was.:tongue: I was reading a Micheal Connelly book. My eyes weren't up to looking at posts. I hope we both get some sleep tonight.:yawn:

Sandy and Phoebe- These gas prices are a real worry. :noway: :noway: Sandy, why in the world, would we lecture you? :heart: You inspire all of us!:flowerforyou: I am with you on the child birth thing. I am glad those times are over:noway: . You had times similar to my DIL's. Rough!:tongue:

A funny story may be called for at this point......a friend of mine was sitting outside the dressing area while her husband tried on a suit. She was reading a receipt from a previous purchase. A man came out without shoes and was looking in the three-way mirrors. She said, "why did you take your shoes off?" It wasn't her husband. :happy: :bigsmile: She is a very timid person. So she leaves the area and goes into the mall because she is so embarassed. Her DH comes out and she is no where to be seen. I told a similar story before. These were true stories.

Aren"t there some people missing, lately?

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Oh Sandy, the things we do to make dh's happy! Swapping foods sounds just like me! We tried Panda Express once, but we didnt like it. We went to our Chinese restaurant today, ordered steamed stuff and egg drop soup.
    Maddie, sweetheart, you dont have to be funny lady all the time, but you are good at it.
    marilyn, i thought you were speaking about yourself getting a comb! Lol, but what really got me was why would you wash your hair with stinky shampoo?! Ok, I reread and got it straight.
    Marie, I'm here! I snuck in. Ahead of you
    Sandy, if prices keep rising, they may want us to hitch a lot of horses to this wagon and head west. Thats ok with me, my dh calls me an old pioneer woman. Take care
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    maddie:flowerforyou: and lynn:flowerforyou having you both under the weaather at the same time made a very dull bunch of sneakers here. so sorry you both have been sick.

Phoebe:flowerforyou: you did sneak in on me. ...... You should have went into Wally World to do some walking.

Sandy:flowerforyou: Have a nice visit with your ex SIL when you and bryanna goes to Arizona.

Irene:flowerforyou: I sure have miss you around here. be glad when you get back here.
    :
    :: Jackie:flowerforyou: .... I have been having pc problems too. But mostly it has been me.

Gayla:flowerforyou: ...y ou will have a new house when Dave get thru with it. I don't really think Jerry voice will ever be back to normal. But we can live wih that. But who knows it might. But I can understand him without talking. almost 55 year together I know him like a book. This has been a rought week for me not knowing the outcome on both Jerry and Alice. I just pray for the best.

I know I have not address everyone today But did read all the post. See you later
  • elli
    Options
    Hi everyone - just hopping on here for a minute - I'll try and post to everyone later.

I had so much fun with baby Kodi this morning! It sure was hard on her mom to leave her though - and it was no more than an hour and a half. It was the first time though. AND she couldn't figure out the breast pump so, having nothing to feed her it's a good thng she wasn't gone long! But Kodi was happy and smiling and kicking............SO cute!

LYNN - so sorry you've had such a rotten headache!

JERI - what's systitis? hope you're better now!

MADDIE - you too - so sorry you had problems and stuff "crawling" on you with the medication! omg - that sounds AWFUL. I hope today's a better day!

MARIE - keeping Jerry and Alice in my thoughts and prayers.

On Thursday my Soldier/Son and his family are coming up for the day - it's his birthday - and SANDY'S!!!!!!!! So i'm fixing food (of course.........and NOT diet food.........5 cheese ziti, homemade sourdough and chocolate brownie cheesecake..........). Don't worry - leftovers will go home with someone!

On Saturday Angela and i are taking off for Chesterfield, MO. We have a meeting there with Manna Pro on Monday. I'm HOPING this will be the "thing" that will add enough to my old family business that will give us all the security we're looking for and allow me to retire SOMEday!!!!!!!!! Anyway - i'll be incommunicado (is that a word?) for a few days - Sat 'till Wednesday i figure.

Happy Fat Tuesday!

:heart: elli
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Elli said:
    On Saturday Angela and i are taking off for Chesterfield, MO. We have a meeting there with Manna Pro on Monday. I'm HOPING this will be the "thing" that will add enough to my old family business that will give us all the security we're looking for and allow me to retire SOMEday!!!!!!!!! Anyway - i'll be incommunicado (is that a word?) for a few days - Sat 'till Wednesday i figure.
    Elli - if you take on the Manna Pro line, be sure to include the Calm Coat products. Their natural coat spray works miracles on horses and short-haired dogs. And I use Calm Ears on my hounds - keeps their long ears (which are incubators for bacteria) clean and smelling great.

Wish it weren't so far - I'd drive up and say hello!!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Speaking of Wally World::bigsmile:
    Tired of constantly being broke & stuck in an unhappy marriage, a young husband decided to solve both problems by taking out a large insurance policy on his wife with himself as the beneficiary, and then arranging to have her killed.

A 'friend of a friend' put him in touch with a nefarious dark-side underworld figure that went by the name of 'Artie.' Artie explained to the husband that his going price for snuffing out a spouse was $5,000.

The husband said he was willing to pay that amount, but that he wouldn't have any cash on hand until he could collect his wife's insurance money. Artie insisted on being paid at least something up front, so the man opened his wallet, displaying the single dollar bill that rested inside. Artie sighed, rolled his eyes, & reluctantly agreed to accept the dollar as down payment for the dirty deed.

A few days later, Artie followed the man's wife to the local Super Wal-Mart store. There, he surprised her in the produce department & proceeded to strangle her with his gloved hands. As the poor unsuspecting woman drew her last breath & slumped to the floor, the manager of the produce department stumbled unexpectedly onto the murder scene. Unwilling to leave any living witnesses behind, ol' Artie had no choice but to strangle the produce manager as well.

However, unknown to Artie, the entire proceedings were captured by the hidden security cameras & observed by the store's security guard, who immediately called the police. Artie was caught and arrested before he could even leave the store.

Under intense questioning at the police station, Artie revealed the whole sordid plan, including his unusual financial arrangements with the hapless husband who was also quickly arrested.

The next day in the newspaper, the headline declared -

(You're going to hate me for this.)

'ARTIE CHOKES 2 for $1.00 @ WAL-MART!'

Gives a new slant to veggies :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Lynn,

Two can play that game...Did you hear about the fellow who worked in produce and was too shy to propose to his beloved in person, so he wrote to her instead?

"Rosemary,

My heart beets for you!! Do you carrot all for me? If I am your sweet pea, lettuce marry, and be the apple of my eye. Someday we could have a pear of sprouts together.":wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Marie,

I am thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Whomever asked me if I ever wonder where my dreams come from. In the case of the one I described, there is no doubt it was a combination of falling asleep to the NASCAR race, with the dialogue inspired by the infomercial that was playing while I dozed,

BTW,

I am watching "The Doctors," and they just said that a brain scan revealed that shopping lights up the same pleasure centers in your brain that making whoopee does!! Who knew? Makes me wonder if the reason the economy hasn't recovered is due to Viagra. How, you ask? Well, because of Viagra, everyone is too "busy" to shop and stimulate the economy.:noway::wink::wink: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, I need to get some other things done, so BFN

Barb