Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    We are naming him Wade and I looked up the meaning not too long ago and it means "mover." So far it fits him perfectly!

I love that!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Went to see the nutritionist today at the health clinic as advised by my dr about weight management during pregnancy. While she was nice enough, she basically told me that I am morbidly obese and have gained wayyy too much weight so far (9lbs). Recently I have been good though, I have only gained 1lb in the past 3 weeks. Anyways she does not want me to gain any more weight at all and says I must focus on maintaining my weight.

My eating plan is 6+ servings of fruit and veggies, 6 servings of grains, 2 servings of protein, and 2 servings of dariy daily. That is what the "Canada Food Guide" recommends for an average weight, healthy women aged 18-50. (however, my weight is far from average) I am also to aim for no more than 1800 calories per day.

I am going to do my best, but this just seems unrealistic. My fitness pal puts me at 2500 calories per day to maintain 270lbs. I am likely to lose weight if I do what she says,... but as she said "that is ok because I have so many stores". Hmmm... I thought she had just told me that it was most important to maintain??

Also, if I am hungry, I am to drink a glass of water first. And then wait 10 minutes. If I am still hungry, I am to have fruits and veggies only. If I am still not satisfied, I am to eat more fruits and veggies. I am to avoid granola bars/cookies for snacks, sugary stuff.

I feel down about this, because 1) I know it's all my fault for gaining so much weight in the year before getting preggo (see my before pics in my profile) and 2) I know its going to be really hard to follow her plan, but if I gain more weight I am going to be in trouble.

GAHH!!

This is absurd. I would not care what they said, you cannot just eat fruit and veggies and not gain any more weight. Mama listen to yourself, you know you need to eat. No one can live off of one food group, that isn't even acceptable. I have been much heavier than I am now in many of pregnancies, 250 plus. Some pregnancies I gained just 11lbs and one I gained almost 50lbs. This is the only pregnancy I have exercised through and watched my calories yet I have already gained 25lbs. Pregnancy weight gain I have found is not 100% dependent on calories in, calories out. Mama eat, be reasonable, try a lower calorie range if you want, but do not deprive yourself.
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    We are naming him Wade and I looked up the meaning not too long ago and it means "mover." So far it fits him perfectly!

I love that!

Thank you!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    It used to be I was the one eating "bad" food and craving it, overeating. I have slowly, through the last several years changed much of how we eat. Before, while our diet was whole foods, it was heavier. My dh was freaking out at first, but over time he has really adapted. He now loves things like lentil tacos, hummus, spinach salad, couscous. The problem is he still can eat heavier food and not gain like I will, plus he grew up on that food. I pack him a lunch for work, but others at his work just eat out. He likes our food, but is tempted by everyone bringing in junk. He does like to go out to eat and I refused often most of the time not pregnant b/c there was just too much temptation there or I would feel deprived w/ him ordering anything he wants and me having to stick to lower calorie options. He does have a habit of bringing home things to me that I desire, but I just can't eat a bunch of chocolate or ice cream. It makes me sick b/c I tend to overeat it. Luckily I have lots of kids so a tub of ice cream is gone when everyone has a serving. I just tell dh to bring me home strawberries and such instead of other things since it makes me feel better. We never eat fast food, we and the kids anyway, so he would never bring that into the house and I don't chastise him for eating it away from home if he has the desire. It gets on my nerves sometimes b/c he will eat out at work, maybe once every two weeks, but we pack a nutritious lunch of nuts, cheese, fruit when I take the kids out.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Who is an epic failure you ask?

<
    this chick right here........ :ohwell:

Just got done with my Dr's appointment. Baby is doing great! Mom, she's in trouble.... 24 weeks, 4 days, 25 lbs.... that's an 11lb gain since Jan 27th.

Dr. wasn't as much of a biotch as I thought she would be. She just really encouraged me to watch my sodium intake (check), no more soda (down to one a day so, half a check), avoid takeout and boxed/canned food (don't really do takeout, I'll work on boxed food, so half a check), and exercise 30 mins a day (definitely need to work on this one). She said she would really REALLY like for me to not gain any more weight at all, so we'll see.....

Ugh....I hate to admit that I cried when I left....I've just been overweight my whole life and now I have someone pointing it out to me on a monthly basis.... Time to put my big girl pants on and get over it :ohwell:
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Went to see the nutritionist today at the health clinic as advised by my dr about weight management during pregnancy. While she was nice enough, she basically told me that I am morbidly obese and have gained wayyy too much weight so far (9lbs). Recently I have been good though, I have only gained 1lb in the past 3 weeks. Anyways she does not want me to gain any more weight at all and says I must focus on maintaining my weight.

My eating plan is 6+ servings of fruit and veggies, 6 servings of grains, 2 servings of protein, and 2 servings of dariy daily. That is what the "Canada Food Guide" recommends for an average weight, healthy women aged 18-50. (however, my weight is far from average) I am also to aim for no more than 1800 calories per day.

I am going to do my best, but this just seems unrealistic. My fitness pal puts me at 2500 calories per day to maintain 270lbs. I am likely to lose weight if I do what she says,... but as she said "that is ok because I have so many stores". Hmmm... I thought she had just told me that it was most important to maintain??

Also, if I am hungry, I am to drink a glass of water first. And then wait 10 minutes. If I am still hungry, I am to have fruits and veggies only. If I am still not satisfied, I am to eat more fruits and veggies. I am to avoid granola bars/cookies for snacks, sugary stuff.

I feel down about this, because 1) I know it's all my fault for gaining so much weight in the year before getting preggo (see my before pics in my profile) and 2) I know its going to be really hard to follow her plan, but if I gain more weight I am going to be in trouble.

GAHH!!

This is absurd. I would not care what they said, you cannot just eat fruit and veggies and not gain any more weight. Mama listen to yourself, you know you need to eat. No one can live off of one food group, that isn't even acceptable. I have been much heavier than I am now in many of pregnancies, 250 plus. Some pregnancies I gained just 11lbs and one I gained almost 50lbs. This is the only pregnancy I have exercised through and watched my calories yet I have already gained 25lbs. Pregnancy weight gain I have found is not 100% dependent on calories in, calories out. Mama eat, be reasonable, try a lower calorie range if you want, but do not deprive yourself.

HERE HERE!! :drinker:

(Whew, so much to catch up on in this thread!)

Had my NT Scan yesterday which meant new US pics of baby. Already such a profile for nearly 12 weeks. NT scan results will be available in once I've completed my two SIPS blood tests (at 12 +1 and 18 +1 weeks).
  • LynnW52
    Options
    We went so far as I made him lunch every day (he won't make his own. he's lazy.) and I found out he was just leaving it in the fridge to rot and ordering fast food anyway. :angry:

Wow, that sounds all too familiar to me.... I started packing hubby a lunch to save some $ since he was eating out every day. Like two months later we went to clean out his Jeep and I found almost every single packed lunch in the back of it, barely touched...I coulda killed him! Especially since he was the one picking out what was going in his lunch, it wasn't like I was putting things in there that he didn't like :grumble:
  • brittonymiller
    Options

<

Just got done with my Dr's appointment. Baby is doing great! Mom, she's in trouble.... 24 weeks, 4 days, 25 lbs.... that's an 11lb gain since Jan 27th.

You are not an epic failure! I don't think it's that bad at all. I mean you might gain the 35 recommended pounds or even a little more, but it's not going to be the 50lbs that some women gain. Plus the more that I hear about different pregnancies, the more I realize that 50lbs isn't even that terrible. We're all going to still be on MFP working out and eating healthy once these little ones arrive. We will be sexy mamas... eventually :laugh:
  • brittonymiller
    Options
    I'm really enjoying watching the show One Born Every Minute on Lifetime. Usually the hubby and I watch it together. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I prefer it over those baby story shows.
  • LynnW52
    Options
    Amanda - Hope your shower goes well!

dragonfly - Love the name, so cute!!

Heather & Ron - I'm glad that your appointments went well!
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

Wow, that sounds all too familiar to me.... I started packing hubby a lunch to save some $ since he was eating out every day. Like two months later we went to clean out his Jeep and I found almost every single packed lunch in the back of it, barely touched...I coulda killed him! Especially since he was the one picking out what was going in his lunch, it wasn't like I was putting things in there that he didn't like :grumble:

Whatever leftovers we have goes into dh's lunch, but I do find at least once a week he does not eat it. I get so irritated as it could have been food we could have eaten. Plus he we have to ask him to bring home his containers and they are gross by the time they arrive home, but that is another vent, LOL.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

<

Dr. wasn't as much of a biotch as I thought she would be. She just really encouraged me to watch my sodium intake (check), no more soda (down to one a day so, half a check), avoid takeout and boxed/canned food (don't really do takeout, I'll work on boxed food, so half a check), and exercise 30 mins a day (definitely need to work on this one). She said she would really REALLY like for me to not gain any more weight at all, so we'll see.....

Ugh....I hate to admit that I cried when I left....I've just been overweight my whole life and now I have someone pointing it out to me on a monthly basis.... Time to put my big girl pants on and get over it :ohwell:

Ok, hold on here! First no care provider should make you feel bad about your gain in pregnancy, ever! I don't drink soda, eat any boxed food and workout 4-5 days a week at least and I am 25 weeks today and have gained, after todays weighing, 25lbs. Like I said in another post, being pregnant 10 pregnancies, pregnancy weight gain is not solely based on calories in, calories out. One pregnancy at over 250lbs starting out I gained 11bs and I ate from the tub of ice cream everyday. Yet my last pregnancy I was a much lower weight and ate less, but gained almost 50lbs.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

<

Lynn, You're not a failure at all! I think we should figure out some sort of challenge for each other, especially about exercise. I've been in limbo waiting for my new gym to open (was supposed to open this week but they got held up by the city). I should really wake up 30 minutes early & exercise but for some reason I haven't been making myself do that. Maybe I would if I felt like someone else was counting on me to do it? I would love to not gain more weight but I feel like that my be unrealistic. So my more reasonable goal is to only gain 10 more pounds which would make my total gain between 30 and 35 pounds. Anyone else want to join me with this or have any suggestions?
  • brittonymiller
    Options
    Lynn, You're not a failure at all! I think we should figure out some sort of challenge for each other, especially about exercise. I've been in limbo waiting for my new gym to open (was supposed to open this week but they got held up by the city). I should really wake up 30 minutes early & exercise but for some reason I haven't been making myself do that. Maybe I would if I felt like someone else was counting on me to do it? I would love to not gain more weight but I feel like that my be unrealistic. So my more reasonable goal is to only gain 10 more pounds which would make my total gain between 30 and 35 pounds. Anyone else want to join me with this or have any suggestions?

I'm in! I would like to feel like I'm letting my group down if I don't exercise at least a certain number of times per week. Some weeks I do really well and others (like this week) I have no motivation at all. I think that more exercise will lead to better food choices and less gain naturally.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options

I'd love a challenge for exercise, but the weight for me and keeping my gain at a certain number is unrealistic. I could do this kind of thing not pregnant, but I have found that is just not the same pregnant.
  • LynnW52
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys - I obviously need it today.

I know weight gain is normal, and that my range isn't as awfully terrible as it could be, but like I said, I HATE hearing her get down on me about it every month. I can't believe how excited I was for my first appointment, now I literally dread going cause I don't want to hear about how big I am, and how I shouldn't gain any more....blah blah blah.... I think I feel like a failure because I had high hopes of staying within 15-20 lbs total gain for my pregnancy, and I effin blew that....

LittleSpy - I'd love to start some sort of challenge or something along those lines to keep each other motivated. I feel like exercise is the missing piece of my puzzle. I may have to resort to becoming a mall walker until the weather warms up, but I suppose there are worse things I could become :tongue:
  • dragonfly74
    Options

<

Hang in there! You are doing just fine. As I have mentioned before my doctor is awful in handling weight issues. Hence his red circles when he feels you have gained too much. My first pregnancy I cried after almost each appointment since I usually got a red circle. Now that this is my fourth I couldn't really care less about what he thinks.

Tomorrow I have another appointment and it has only been two weeks since my last one and I know I will be getting a huge red circle tomorrow :noway: He is like a broken record to me now. My eating choices have gone way downhill since I have been unable to exercise and I haven't been good.
  • dragonfly74
    Options

<

Now this makes me want to cry. I so wish I could be exercising still and do this with you all. My ankle is not cooperating though and it makes me sick.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys - I obviously need it today.

I know weight gain is normal, and that my range isn't as awfully terrible as it could be, but like I said, I HATE hearing her get down on me about it every month. I can't believe how excited I was for my first appointment, now I literally dread going cause I don't want to hear about how big I am, and how I shouldn't gain any more....blah blah blah.... I think I feel like a failure because I had high hopes of staying within 15-20 lbs total gain for my pregnancy, and I effin blew that....

It should not be that way. Have you thought about a new care provider?
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    I'm really enjoying watching the show One Born Every Minute on Lifetime. Usually the hubby and I watch it together. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. I prefer it over those baby story shows.

Thanks for the reminder. I have been wanting to check this out and keep forgetting. Is it on in the mornings?