Pregnancy 2011 - March

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    My doctor said it was okay to take warm baths, though some of my pregnant friends were forbidden to take baths in their late third trimesters and I'm not sure why. I didn't take the time to ask. I also asked my doctor about green tea. He said that it is fine and that it is good for you. I mentioned that I read about a study that said green tea prevents folic acid absorbtion. He said he hadn't heard of that but as long as you take your prenatal at a different time of day it should be fine.

Welcome back Heather! Oh I had a time picking names with my in-laws. They were impossible and very mean about ripping apart all of my favorite names. We finally excluded them from the process and told them exactly why.

Going to the doctor today for my monthly check-up. I'm hoping I don't pass out this time. I can't believe I passed out for no reason last time. I always get so nervous when I'm there and they had kept me waiting in that stuffy room for way too long. I think my new plan of attack is not to get on the examining table first thing. I'll take my ipod and sit on one of the chairs in the corner til the doctor gets there. I'll also make sure I have water and a fiber bar just in case I feel nauseous.

After the appointment I'm going to work for a few hours before meeting up with the hubby and leaving town for the weekend! We spontaneously decided to go visit his brother in Charleston. I'm so excited to take my puppy to the beach!

I don't get on the exam table until the doctor says get on the table:laugh: I usually read a magazine. But they do make those rooms stuffy. One time I opened one of the magazines wiht all the smelly perfumes in them so I started smelling them since I can't have them at home b/c of my DH's allergies, by the time the doctor walked in her eyes were watering. It smelled like a perfume counter. I was so embarrassed.

They shouldn't be doing too much at the docs now except listening to HB and measuring belly (maybe) and answering questions. I hope you don't pass out. Have a great trip.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Rachael -- Have our due dates seriously always only been a day apart or did your OB change your due date? :laugh: Maybe I'm really just that unobservant.

Heather -- HCG levels vary GREATLY. Here's a chart that puts 446 on the high side of what is expected at 4+1so I'd guess you don't need to freak about multiples *yet.* :wink: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html There are tons of BS "dos and don'ts" of pregnancy. I'd say use common sense but I guess the problem with that is that it's not all that common. :laugh:

Sheri -- Getting clamped open is how it felt last time I tried to do the deed, too. Not sure why but I haven't had any desire to give it another go since then. My cervix was checked on u/s Wednesday & was still good and long and closed so I don't think that has anything to do with it for me.

Rachel -- Your hubby having a family history of twins doesn't make you more likely to have twins. If there was a family history of fraternal twins in YOUR family, however, you may be more likely to have twins (because there's supposedly a genetic link for women who release more than one egg at a time on a regular basis). Identical twins don't make any difference.

Brittony -- Yay for Charleston! Have fun! Wave hi to me if you're passing through Columbia. :tongue: (I just assume you could be since I see mountains in your avatar)

Oh yeah, as for me I'm up a pound from last Saturday. This is the first week I've really tracked my calories & exercise & I've been at what should have been a small (100-300) calorie deficit nearly every day. I did eat pizza Wednesday and Thursday though, so I have a sneaking suspicion I'm retaining some extra water. I think my weight will be back down a pound or two if I keep my sodium intake in check over the next couple of days.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much to catch up on even since yesterday afternoon! I'm loving how busy this board has become :happy:

I am definitely in for the 4 days a week / 30 mins of exercise challenge! I'm already feeling really motivated about it. What should we check in with on Mondays? The days we worked out and what we did? I'm interested in hearing some of the different ways that people might get their 30 mins in, so it'd be nice to hear what others are doing.
  • LynnW52
    Options
    I know there are a lot of posts on here about people who's doctors may or may not handle addressing weight gain very sensitively - but I was wondering - I don't necessarily think it is wrong for the Dr to tell you that you're on the high end, or you should try to not gain any or much more (key word TRY). I know that we're all on this board in the first place because we want to lose weight and be healthier - and that, very often, comes with a lot of emotional baggage. Weight-conscious predispositions, combined with the emotions of a pregnant woman - it could be likely that some might be projecting their own thoughts on the issue onto what they think they are hearing from their doctor?

This has absolutely crossed my mind. I do have a lot of emotional baggage regarding my weight and self-esteem and I do feel like I project some of my own thoughts onto the issue, and maybe I hear her saying things that she really isn't saying, or I perceive a tone from her that isn't really there.

Definitely something I need to work on.
  • LynnW52
    Options
    It should not be that way. Have you thought about a new care provider?

It's funny you should mention this Annabelle. I haven't really thought about a new provider, but I did think about a whole new birth plan.

Lastnight hubby and I watched "The Business of Birth" on instant Netflix and I HIGHLY recommend anyone that hasn't seen it to watch it. What an eye opener!!

After watching this, I am seriously contemplating home birth. Not sure I am going to switch at this point in my pregnancy, but it is definitely going to be a top option for any future pregnancies.

I am SO GLAD we watched this, it made me really think about all of the interventions used in hospitals and how quickly they are all brought on. At one point, they were showing the patient board with all of the women in labor and next to almost every one of them it said "pit" with a circle around it. They draw up pitocin like oxygen, and once they start that.....ah never mind lol I won't spoil it! But definitely watch it if you can!
  • LynnW52
    Options
    It goes along with common sense, my grandmother thinks you shouldn't have sex, hang out clothes, lift your arms above your head, run, exercise, lift weights, etc....on and on and on.

I was gonna ask about "raising your arms above your head".... I had never heard of this til someone yelled at me for it the other day....

I look like such a board-*kitten* for posting so many times in a row :laugh: Sorry guys!!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I am definitely in for the 4 days a week / 30 mins of exercise challenge! I'm already feeling really motivated about it. What should we check in with on Mondays? The days we worked out and what we did? I'm interested in hearing some of the different ways that people might get their 30 mins in, so it'd be nice to hear what others are doing.

I agree -- I think that's it's a wonderful idea to share what we did!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Heather- I get your concern considering what you have been through. I would probably exercise on the side of caution in your shoes too which is probably why I stayed away from hot baths until I hit my late 2nd trimester. This is my 3rd baby though so my body experiences lots of pain. Mamatoabunch is on # 11 so she is our expert with pregnancy here.

Debnu- so exciting, all of us ladies have been in this group together for so long.. I noticed that the postnatal group seems to have died off but we all should start one up since we are coming to the end of our pregnancy. I know that Katrina and I are looking to loose 100lbs or so afterwards so I definately want to have a post pregnancy weight loss group.

Annabelle- I am a little freaked out about checking out stuff down there, especially not knowing what I am looking for. I think I will try another position as I feel that my tummy has grown quite a bit in the last week making it even harder to find a good position. As far as how you usually handle the discomforts of this prodromal labor, any suggestions on making one self a little more comfortable? I have only really done hot baths and tylenol, the contractions have gotten stronger but ofcourse go away. I have not lost my mucus plug yet so I know that I have some time... does that change with each baby? With my other 2 I lost it about a week or so before delivery.

I never lost my mucus plug with my first or third. With my second I did and I didn't have her until two weeks or so later.
  • Marceen
    Marceen Posts: 14
    Options
    I posted in the beginning of my pregnancy but haven't had much time since then to get in here...
    Hope I can jump in from here. I am 28 weeks along, and so far not much to report.
    I have two little girls, 6 and 3 and expecting a third... girl. Working on a name, but my husband is Spanish and we live in Spain and so we are trying to pick something that works in both languages. We have a Sofia and an Alicia; and for the third we are throwing around Olivia. But still not sure. Lots of "advice" on the name from good intentioned in-laws :) and I've decided to not bring up the topic with them. I'm going to try and stay updated on all the news from here on out. Good luck to the ladies who are coming close to the end :) and sending out strength and patience for those who are just beginning :) I'll see if I can post a pic that's better than the generic one I have now.
    Heather

so here is another suggestion :)

I don't know if it works in Spain, but I know my youngest daughter has a latin name... It is Sabina and we love it. The meaning you usually find is derived from the Sabine tribe (area of Germany during Roman Empire) but I have a German friend who has told me the tribal name meant "deeply spirited" and that is the meaning I go with :)
  • dragonfly74
    Options

I also had a mini panic attack...what it if it twins...and what if they are both boys....Lord please let there only be one healthy, perfect baby inside of me!

The first question I asked the ultrasound tech today was, "there's only one in there right?" :laugh:

I can't wait for my first ultrasound!! What if there are two in there??? My father in law is a twin, my hubby has cousin's who are twins (my father in law's brothers kids). Not sure if that will make any difference for me.

Edit- thought i should also mention- when my mother was pregnant with me they told her she was having twins. But at her next ultrasound there was no sign of the 2nd baby. I assume that the technology used in sonograms has changed a lot since 1984.

I did do some research and my FIL should do effect our chances at all. Twins would be exciting!!

My mom is a fraternal twin and no twins for me. Your husband's side doesn't affect your chances of conceiving twins as littlespy said.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Rachael -- Have our due dates seriously always only been a day apart or did your OB change your due date? :laugh: Maybe I'm really just that unobservant.

No, It just barely got pushed up to July 17 on Monday. :happy: It really could be that day for me. 17 has been my lucky number. My birthday is the 17th (of Jan ). Anyway, the dr. said my little girl had long legs for her age. That might be why it got pushed up. She didn't get them from me. :) But my MIL is pretty tall, and so is my sister.
  • Mamatoabunch
    Options
    It should not be that way. Have you thought about a new care provider?

It's funny you should mention this Annabelle. I haven't really thought about a new provider, but I did think about a whole new birth plan.

Lastnight hubby and I watched "The Business of Birth" on instant Netflix and I HIGHLY recommend anyone that hasn't seen it to watch it. What an eye opener!!

After watching this, I am seriously contemplating home birth. Not sure I am going to switch at this point in my pregnancy, but it is definitely going to be a top option for any future pregnancies.

I wish I had stuck w/ transferring care and continuing w/ my HB plans w/ my first pregnancy.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Alright, just got home from my appointment and I gained 4 lbs in two weeks. All the exercise talk on this board has me yearning to walk again. So I am going to try to walk 2 miles right now on the treadmill with my air cast on. If my ankle doesn't give me too much trouble I will go for 3 miles.
  • ckmama
    Options
    It goes along with common sense, my grandmother thinks you shouldn't have sex, hang out clothes, lift your arms above your head, run, exercise, lift weights, etc....on and on and on.

I was gonna ask about "raising your arms above your head".... I had never heard of this til someone yelled at me for it the other day....

I look like such a board-*kitten* for posting so many times in a row :laugh: Sorry guys!!

They think it wraps the cord around the baby's neck. From what I understand a third of baby's born have the cord wrapped around them.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Alright, just got home from my appointment and I gained 4 lbs in two weeks. All the exercise talk on this board has me yearning to walk again. So I am going to try to walk 2 miles right now on the treadmill with my air cast on. If my ankle doesn't give me too much trouble I will go for 3 miles.

Sorry. DON't hurt your foot. I walked yesterday and played the WII because I was so frustrated about my weight gain. I don't think I would lose weight, LOL, but it does help mentally.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

Oh my.... Joonz when is your first US? I asked my hubby before we went for ours what he would do if it were twins... I told him I would cry... he said he would go back to work lol (needing more overtime ;D)

My first ultrasound is on March 25th. I will be exactly 20 weeks! I am soo looking forward to it, as is hubby. We are not going to find out the sex though.
  • LynnW52
    Options

Hope your ankle cooperates and you can at least get 2 miles in!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Thanks Annabelle for the advice

Dragonfly I also gained 4 lbs at my last 2 week visit... muffins from costco are brutal! I have been logging all week so hopefully it will stay at no more than 2 lbs at my next visit.
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My first ultrasound is on March 25th. I will be exactly 20 weeks! I am soo looking forward to it, as is hubby. We are not going to find out the sex though.

Either will we... We're rare breeds these days it seems!
    We didn't find out the sex with our first baby either...and after 46 hours of labour it was the BEST surprise of my LIFE!
  • heathercrist1
    heathercrist1 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Rachel and 911girl I have NO idea how you aren't busting at the seams to find out what the sex is. I tried to go buy stuff for the baby but everything is so gender specific that I ended up walking out of the store with nothing! I think it is awesome that you have that much self control! lol!

911Girl you look fabulous! I read that you had done Insanity. I started it (and it was intense) but it was so boring for me and I ended up not looking forward to working out (and that's not me). That is awesome that you finished it though. How much have you worked out since becoming pregnant. People always think I'm weird cause I do an hour of strength training/toning (I do Tracy Anderson Method) 6 days per week and an hour of cardio 4 days per week. I was doing cardio kickboxing/TKB 3 days per week and Spinning twice per week in addition to the strength training and cardio. I only cut that out cause I'm so tired! lol! I'm a fitness fanatic but lately it has been harder only because I'm so sleepy. What did you do to stay motivated to workout throughout your pregnancy?

After hearing how high my HCG levels were I decided to go ahead and tell my family. It was hard to hold it in as long as I did (all 6 days! lol!). The highest my levels ever got were 46 when I had miscarried back in October. I'm very optimistic and hopeful that this baby is here to stay. 12 more days and I get to see my little peanut (well at least a black blob on the screen hopefully with a little flutter)! I can't wait!

Feeling a little bit more queasy today. I did do my hour of strength training but have given up on the idea on doing an hour of cardio today. My husband and I are leaving to go out of town. He has some army convention thing to go to...and I will be spending my time shopping at the outlet mall! :) They have a Motherhood I plan on hitting up. Hopefully I'll find some good deals!

Hope you ladies have a wonderful day!