C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 2

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Yesterday morning I did Wk6 D3. I actully did the 5 min Warm up and then ran for 35 min and then another 5 min cool down. I did 5K+ in that time. I feel powerful and relaxed when I run....Still can't believe that I can actually say that.... Enjoy. I have my first 5K on May 7th..:)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Jenyfur - that is awesome!!! I'm almost there. My friend and I went to a park with a ~1 mile trail. We did over three laps in about 30 minutes - I couldn't believe it. I only took two walking breaks. Feeling great, too!!! :bigsmile: :drinker: First 5K on Saturday, 4/23!! I think I'm ready! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    WOW Kath! That is great! Good luck on your 5K! Let us know how you did.:bigsmile:
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Anybody still here????? *echo*

I got my new shoes..... *echo*
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Hey Bif! Congrats on your new shoes!!! I am still here... I am going to "practice" a 5K this weekend. I will let you know hpw it goes. I am getting ready to start Week 8.. Nothing but straight running now....It relaxes me...
    I will check back in tomorrow.
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    So I did it!!! I ran with a friend of mine this morning!! I am so excited. I feel like i have accomplished something. It was the first time that I have run outside since I started the program I really liked it. It was not nearly as boring as running on the treadmill. There are 2 more weeks until I run the real race and I know that I can do it now. I am so glad for this thread...
    BIF!!! Where are you??!!!
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    I'm here Jeny!
    That's so awesome you ran 5K !! :drinker: *cheers* And you ran the entire thing? Have you signed up for any 5Ks yet? I'm doing one at the end of June.
    I'm in week 4 - and on my SECOND pair of shoes! The first pair were awful to run in (felt great when NOT running) so I went back to get refitted and ran with that pair and it was great!
    I have one more day of week 4 and I kept thinking I wouldn't be ready to move to week 5 (8 minute run) but Wednesday when I ran one of my 5 minute runs ended up lasting for 7.5 minutes (I find I do better if I don't look at my watch, but pick a mailbox, etc. in the distance to run to, and THEN I get to check my watch. By doing this I usually run longer than I'm supposed to). I'll be glad when I can just RUN instead of starting and stopping.
    Anybody else find the first few minutes of running are the worst? That's when I'm thinking to myself "okay, WHY am I doing this??" But after the first five minutes or so, things are definitely better...
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Hey Bif!
    Glad you traded your shoes... I have signed up for a local 5k that is 2 weeks away. The start has a HUGE hill. The course is up hill the first 1/2 then down hill a little then flat the rest. I am nervous about that. Fear not abbout running week 5. It is not too bad at all. I hope that your training goes well for your upcoming 5K. I will be running again on Monday. Chat at ya later!

Oh and yes.... The first 5 min are like that for me too! :bigsmile:

Kath,
    How was your race??? Been thinking about you.....
  • Kath712
    Options
    It's official! # 336 out of 644. Chip time 35:49, gun time 36:02. Pace 11:33/M. whatever that means... lol

It was a miserable morning - steady rain, 50 degrees. I had no idea how it was all going to work. The energy at the race was definitely high, despite the rain. It was a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House, so it felt great to be there for a good cause. We all lined up in the starting lines. I had no idea there was a mat that you were supposed to run over at the starting line. Fortunately, there are two 'cause I missed the first one. As I said, I had no idea what I was doing! To top off my cluelessness, I forgot to start my HRM until about 2 minutes into the race! Ahhh!!! :noway: :grumble: But I just kept running... in the rain and wind. The weather was miserable, but the energy of the other runners and organizers truly kept me going. After a while, I got into a rhythm and really didn't notice the time. Then I realized that I had run a mile, then another mile. By the time I got past mile 2, I thought, "Why walk now? You're almost done!" I jogged, albeit a slow jog, THE WHOLE THING! I have never run so far or for so long ever before!! Then came the last stretch when I could see the digital timer. It was ticking away 35:55, 35:56, 35:57. I tried to give it a final push to get under 36:00, but didn't quite make it. SO close though!!

My friend was just ahead of me the whole time. I love running with her because it keeps me at a regular pace. Her time was 35 minutes. The other thing that helped us today was the course was flat, on city streets and sidewalks. I have not tackled any hills yet!! A little scared to. :embarassed: But today was awesome! I've been on cloud nine ever since this morning. You really do get such a sense of accomplishment! C25K is AWESOME!! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be running a 5K.

Bif - that's EXACTLY how I feel!!! I often wondered if I was the only one. I do the same thing as you - set distance goals, or tell myself I will check my watch at the end of this song. It definitely keeps me going! You are doing great!!
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    Congrats Kath!!! I am sorry that the weather was bad, but now you have something to really be proud of..... I am not sure that I would have been able to run in that....
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    Kath .... YAY !!!!! :drinker:

Look what you did. You must be so proud. You ran the whole thing in that awful weather - what an accomplishment!

So.... have you signed up for another one yet? From what I understand, it's addicting :bigsmile:
  • Kath712
    Options
    Thanks Jeny and Bif! And thanks for the encouragement along the way! :flowerforyou:

Bif - I sure did! June 12 is my next one at the same location. So, again, it will be flat city streets/sidewalks. I signed up for it yesterday. It's funny... I've known about the June 12th one for a while, but I put off signing up for it until I ran yesterday's. I wanted to make sure I didn't hate it before I committed to the next one. I didn't hate it, in fact I loved it! I can see how it can be addicting. LOL :drinker: :bigsmile:

Oh, BTW, I didn't indulge, but they did have beer after the race. Water was all I wanted! :drinker: They also had a ton of snacks - bananas, oranges, bagels, soft pretzels, cookies, etc. My goodness, I probably could have eaten back all the calories I burned in the run. I didn't, though. I had two yummy oatmeal raisin cookies and several cups of water. But then I was starving the rest of the day! :laugh:
  • Jenyfur1
    Options
    LOL!
    Love the new Pic!! Congrats on your new addiction! :flowerforyou: :drinker: