• jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    home made cheese cake. o boy I dont even want to know how many calories
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    things on my banned list:
    sweet tea at resturants or sodas that are not diet. Rather have a beer if I am going to drink my calories
    chicken taco shell salad (about 1000 cals) . just did this today...so its newly banned
    Chips and salsa at a mexican resturant. (300-400 cals for 10-15 chips)
    almost all gluten free sandwich bread (finally found one that is under 100 cals a slice and its like 2 inches big).
    EVOO unless ABSOULTELY necessary. (doesnt matter that its "good fat" a calorie is a calorie)
    Margaritas: 500 cals for a 12 oz ..and 12 oz is a tease
    McAlisters Spuds: (full size) 1500 calories or more

You Crack me up!! My husband always wonder why I always get h20 at restaurants and I always tell him, "If I'm drinking my caloriesI'm going to get something stiff!!" I thought I was the only one who thought in terms of alcohol calories when using up extras!!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    my answer to that was gonna b everything! lol...at least everything u dont cook yourself

Its SICK how bad takeout and convenience and restaurant food is!!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My gripes are with the 'healthy' high calorie foods.... you know, the kind you ought to be able to stuff your face with but then realise you're going to have to run a marathon to burn off. And what gets me, is that they are 'little'... so they aren't even filling you up! My main culprits are:

Nuts (love em, but once I've started, I can't stop!!)
    Dried fruit
    Muesli
    Bread/ wraps (ok, not little but I just thought of it)
    Beans!! 5 servings in a tin? Give me a break
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Edited to add: 20 oz. (the hot-drink Venti size) of whole milk is about 370 calories... that means that the other 330 comes from the syrup/flavoring and whipped cream. Good grief!

Hahaha, that was my favorite drink at Starbucks too until I found out how many calories. I now drink the skinny vanilla latte. I think the venti only has a little under 150? It's not as good but I like it. :)

It's depressing finding out that some of my favorite foods have high calorie amounts. The chips and salsa amounts suck and I love my chips and salsa. :(
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ITS SO CRAZY HOW THERES SO MANY HIDDEN CALORIES IN IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING! I RECOMMEND READING THE "EAT THIS NOT THAT" BOOK! SINCE EVERYTHING IS FILLED WITH CALORIES AT LEAST IT HELPS YOU CHOOSE THE BETTER OF THE CHOICES! IT REALLY OPENS YOUR EYES TO WHERE YOU CAN SAVE 100 CALORIES HERE AND THERE!
  • anastasiapai
    Options
    Starbucks Venti Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha, full-fat milk with whipped cream - 700 calories! For a drink!

Edited to add: 20 oz. (the hot-drink Venti size) of whole milk is about 370 calories... that means that the other 330 comes from the syrup/flavoring and whipped cream. Good grief!

As a former Starbucks barista, I can assure you that it is all syrup. Think of it this way. Small drinks have 3 pumps of syrup, med have 4 and large have 5. So you want a peppermint white mocha? Venti will have 5 pumps of white chocolate AND 5 pumps of peppermint right on top. So even skim milk won't help much. You can ALWAYS ask for half pumps. If you really want to skip cals. Get a Misto/ cafe au lait (coffee with steamed milk) and get two pumps of white mocha and two peppermint. Cheaper and definitely cheap on calories.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    anything from Applebees! yikes! and the sodium count...yeesh.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    omg everything this sight opened me eyes wide .i love it
  • PrairieRoseNE
    Options
    And isn't it totally frustrating at how much more it costs at the grocery store to buy fresh fruits & produce versus canned and/or frozen!

At my local grocery - a head of lettuce is now $3.95 per head (supposedly because of a big "freeze" that occured in the region where they grow lettuce??) It nearly breaks my budget to buy healthier ingredients & foods.

A friend & I were just discussing that we might have to start planting bigger gardens and grow our own fruits & veggies!
  • ErinJ1981
    ErinJ1981 Posts: 72
    Options
    Caramel Frappe from McDonalds :(

How many? ;)

about 1500
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    an Oberweis chocolate shake. I want to cry just thinking about it. 1300 calories and 76 grams of fat. :sad:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, great source of protein, but way high calories.

The quinoa I eat (Ancient Harvest) only has 172 calories in 1/4 uncooked. Cooked that fluffs up to 3/4 cup. That isn't a lot of calories. It only has 31 carbs too. That isn't much compared to pasta or rice.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm with the chips and salsa crew (140 for like a handful? :noway: ). And movie theater popcorn ( small is about 600). If I could eat those, nuts, and gluten free brownies ad libitum I'd be really compliant with my diet... :grumble:
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    Milk Duds. I ate the little tiny Halloween size. Which has 3 or 4 milk duds in it. Guess how many calories...wait for it, wait for it...170 calories. For 3 milk duds. That's more calories than half of a giant snickers bar! Try to do the right thing by having a tiny bite size thing, and bam! They fool you. Next time, I'm having a junk food craving...I'll just have half of a snickers bar.

You were misinformed. The teeny box only has 54 cals in it. (Which is still a lot for 3 or 4 milk duds, but much better.) The bigger box (comparable to a full-size single serving candy bar) has 230, and there are supposed to be 13 pcs in there, so about 18 calories per ball.

ETA, sadly, I might be the world's foremost expert on how many calories are in chocolate Halloween candy. Years of experience.

Well. I must be the only person posting/reading in this topic to be *relieved* by what I've read! 54 calories is more like it! I think I got tripped up by how the serving size got multiplied. But thanks! I guess now, however, I don't have an excuse to just go ahead and eat a snickers bar...
  • MiketotheJ
    Options
    I don't have a massive sweet tooth, but I love carrot cake with a fiery passion. Used to crush a whole cake (the double layered kind) in 2 or 3 days. Now I know one slice of a single layer cake is 330 cals. I knew cake was bad and expected a big number, but that one hurt.

I use a slice as a reward if I stayed under my cals for a whole week and have room to spare nowadays.

I also work for the corporate office of a small restaurant chain and we're in the process of getting all of our menu items' nutritional information worked up by a third party. I kindly informed my boss that the stuff he thinks is healthy is going to come in really high on the calorie count. He's trying to lose weight, so the numbers will be humbling for him since he eats at one of our locations at least twice a week.
  • Ersten512
    Ersten512 Posts: 1
    Options
    I thought fish was relatively benign but the calories in flounder? Really?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream. 230 in half a cup. ;_; ...I still ate it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Longhorn's 7-pepper steak salad: 510 calories before dressing. So much for being good by having the salad with some protein.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't have a massive sweet tooth, but I love carrot cake with a fiery passion. Used to crush a whole cake (the double layered kind) in 2 or 3 days. Now I know one slice of a single layer cake is 330 cals. I knew cake was bad and expected a big number, but that one hurt.

I use a slice as a reward if I stayed under my cals for a whole week and have room to spare nowadays.

I also work for the corporate office of a small restaurant chain and we're in the process of getting all of our menu items' nutritional information worked up by a third party. I kindly informed my boss that the stuff he thinks is healthy is going to come in really high on the calorie count. He's trying to lose weight, so the numbers will be humbling for him since he eats at one of our locations at least twice a week.

I was looking up Baker's Square carrot cake calories. It was more than any of their pie. But soooo good.