What do YOU put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    I mix dry in a large container: oats, chopped walnuts, cinnamin, Stevia; take to work and mix with vanilla soy milk and frozen blueberries. Top with flax seed mix after cooking (I didn't realize you were supposed to add after cooking for a long time).

Those who add protein powder, how much?
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit (usually berries) and a drizzle of agave syrup.
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of runny oatmeal - I add just enough water so it looks like cookie dough, cook it then throw in a few mini-chocolate chips, some chopped walnuts. I feel like I'm cheating with my mom's raw oatmeal cookie dough that I grew up with! YUMMMM a great afternoon snack!!
  • denisel321
    Options
    Chia seeds and Trader Joe's chocolate almond milk. I make it as an overnight oatmeal and eat it cold. It might sound a little weird but it's really tasty!
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    I like Quacker Old Fashioned. I always eat the heart healthy serving. I add 2 tsp. sugar, lots of cinnamin and a 1/4 cup of 2% milk. That fills me up real good and I don't crave a snack before lunch. i don't get hungry for at least 5 hrs.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, Splenda, cinnamon, and raisins or apple bits softened in the microwave in a bit of water for 20 seconds. :)
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make baked oatmeal with applesauce, blueberries and crushed pineapple. Breakfast made for the week and it is soooo good.

Need this recipe, please! :)
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump need recipes!
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK, BERRIES, FLAX SEED AND A DASH OF CINNAMON :)
  • boboette1
    Options
    I put a few walnuts and cinnamon, cinnamon helps regulate your blood sugar. Nuts are high in calories but a few broken up aren't bad ,and gives that crunch I like.
  • ShelleyRollison
    ShelleyRollison Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but I like eating my oatmeal raw. I warm Almond milk and then pour it over the oatmeal meal (like cereal). Then I add the toppings you have read. This way my oatmeal is not mushy or slimy.
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll have a 1/2 cup of quick oats with a banana and about a half cut of blueberries. I used to use sugar, but after doing this a few times I find that it satisfies my sweet tooth perfectly!
  • eden2760
    eden2760 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Heheh... it's what I put my oatmeal in. I LOVE blending it to flour (with my Vita-mix <3) and mixing it with milk, whey, PB for a healthyish protein shake.

When I eat it "straight" I like to add dried apricots. It adds a little chewiness... as I'm not too terribly fond of the texture of oatmeal by itself. Helps it go down easier for me. :d
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't eat oatmeal much... I haven't in a long time, anyway. I used to just buy those little packets of maple and brown sugar oatmeal and make it with vanilla flavored almond milk. = yum.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I read through the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned my ingredient for super creamy oatmeal. No one did. Before my year and a half off of all things fitness and putting on this ten pounds, I was very involved in fitness and several fitness message boards.

Many of us swore by using.....wait for it (channelling Barney Stinson).....cottage cheese in our oatmeal after the oatmeal was cooked. I know, I know. Cottage cheese!?!? It sounds strange. But listen first before you toss it out the window. You cook the oatmeal in water. One part oats to two parts water. I'll give you my usual measurements below. Then you stir in the cottage cheese. What it does is make the oatmeal really creamy and flavorful. The heat from the oatmeal melts it. If it doesn't melt it enough, you can always pop it back in the microwave or add the cotttage cheese in while you're heating the microwave...maybe during the last part of heating. Then you add in your sweeteners and whatever else you want to flavor the oatmeal with. Many people who thought it sounded crazy tried it and loved it.

Oatmeal Made with milk or water with just add-ins is very carb heavy and can cause some people (like myself) to get hungrier faster than a breakfast that has some more protein in it. It's a great way to get some good protein and to stay fuller longer.

Recipe:
    1/2 c oats mixed w/ 1 c water and heat (150 cals)
    Stir in 1/4 to 1/2 c 2% cottage cheese (45 or 90 cals)
    Add in your preferred items

Sometimes I add in 1 T almond slivers and some raisins and brown sugar.
    Sometimes it's 1 T peanut butter and half a banana
    Sometimes it's blueberries and almonds
    The options are endless

And here's a recipe for protein pancakes that were very popular. You can add bananas or berries or peanut butter or whatever or leave plain. Left plain and using no-calorie sweeteners, calorie content comes to 255. You can make in bulk ahead of time for the week or the night before for a to-go breakfast the next day, etc:

1/2 c oats (ground into a powder with a blender if you can...they come out better this way. You can leave them whole also)
    4 egg whites
    1/4 c cottage cheese
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 cap vanilla
    4 Splenda or stevia or sugar or whatever you want to use to sweeten
    --mix or blend all ingredients and cook! I find I need to keep the temperature a bit lower than with regular pancakes. Since they're denser, the middle takes a tad bit longer to cook.

Alternatives:
    1 c oatmeal
    1 c cottage cheese
    2 eggs
    1/2 t vanilla
    2 t Splenda
    (I have not tried this one. It looks like it makes two batches. If you try this one, let me know how it is)

1 c oatmeal
    6 egg whites
    1 pkt Splenda
    --easy and quick!
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I cook my old fashioned oatmeal plain then I add 1/2 banana, about 1 tbsp walnuts, 1 small scoop kal stevia, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and about 1/2 tsp vanilla. I top the oatmeal with about 1/2 cup almond milk ( the unsweetened kind) I have this almost every day with my coffee
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I usually use light Alpro soya milk, a little honey, cinnamon and half a banana! It's delicious, and really fills me up!

Great Choices :):)
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I read through the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned my ingredient for super creamy oatmeal. No one did. Before my year and a half off of all things fitness and putting on this ten pounds, I was very involved in fitness and several fitness message boards.

Many of us swore by using.....wait for it (channelling Barney Stinson).....cottage cheese in our oatmeal after the oatmeal was cooked. I know, I know. Cottage cheese!?!? It sounds strange. But listen first before you toss it out the window. You cook the oatmeal in water. One part oats to two parts water. I'll give you my usual measurements below. Then you stir in the cottage cheese. What it does is make the oatmeal really creamy and flavorful. The heat from the oatmeal melts it. If it doesn't melt it enough, you can always pop it back in the microwave or add the cotttage cheese in while you're heating the microwave...maybe during the last part of heating. Then you add in your sweeteners and whatever else you want to flavor the oatmeal with. Many people who thought it sounded crazy tried it and loved it.

Oatmeal Made with milk or water with just add-ins is very carb heavy and can cause some people (like myself) to get hungrier faster than a breakfast that has some more protein in it. It's a great way to get some good protein and to stay fuller longer.

Recipe:
    1/2 c oats mixed w/ 1 c water and heat (150 cals)
    Stir in 1/4 to 1/2 c 2% cottage cheese (45 or 90 cals)
    Add in your preferred items

Sometimes I add in 1 T almond slivers and some raisins and brown sugar.
    Sometimes it's 1 T peanut butter and half a banana
    Sometimes it's blueberries and almonds
    The options are endless

And here's a recipe for protein pancakes that were very popular. You can add bananas or berries or peanut butter or whatever or leave plain. Left plain and using no-calorie sweeteners, calorie content comes to 255. You can make in bulk ahead of time for the week or the night before for a to-go breakfast the next day, etc:

1/2 c oats (ground into a powder with a blender if you can...they come out better this way. You can leave them whole also)
    4 egg whites
    1/4 c cottage cheese
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 cap vanilla
    4 Splenda or stevia or sugar or whatever you want to use to sweeten
    --mix or blend all ingredients and cook! I find I need to keep the temperature a bit lower than with regular pancakes. Since they're denser, the middle takes a tad bit longer to cook.

Alternatives:
    1 c oatmeal
    1 c cottage cheese
    2 eggs
    1/2 t vanilla
    2 t Splenda
    (I have not tried this one. It looks like it makes two batches. If you try this one, let me know how it is)

1 c oatmeal
    6 egg whites
    1 pkt Splenda
    --easy and quick!

Thank you for sharing great ideas:):)
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump :happy: