A lot to lose & over 40? Lets start a group(20 memebers max

Options
Please join us if you are 40 years old or over and are working on losing a lot of weight. A few members on here and myself became friends since joining MFP and we would love to find some new friends to support and lose weight with. We would like to keep this group small (between 10 - 20 members) so we can stay focused on ourselves as well as have the time to get to know one another and have the time to support each other on this journey. If you would like to be in a small group and are very supportive please join us.

Replies

• Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am so in! I'm 48 and have lots to lose :) Please send a fr if you want.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I am in and think this is a great idea because that is why I can not keep up with other groups, too many people and friends to keep up with. That is why I keep my friend list under or right at a 100. Thanks Linda!
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    please can I join too! Feel free to add me ,we can encourage each other x Joanna
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    Count me in! Thanks for starting this group. Some of the other threads I participate in have gotten so large, I can't keep up. I feel that I can't be as supportive of others, and sometimes I feel that my posts get lost in the crowd.

Let's do it!!

katzpawz
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm over 40 and have a lot to lose and I try to be supportive. I would be happy to join the group friend me if you want me, so long as the group doesn't get too big :flowerforyou:
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to this site but have over 150 lbs to lose. Is it too late to join your group? I am over 40 and I could really use the motivation and support and promise to return the same! I am already encouraged by the posts on this topic! Please friend me. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm in..... please!?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you. I am over 40 started mfp in july and have lost 61 lbs but still have a ways to go....
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Its so nice to see so many of us who would like to have a smaller group to support and get support from. I will be sending you all a friends request soon and once we reach to top 20 number I will be sending the names to each of you of our 20 members to support on here. I am really focused on only keeping 20 members max. I hope you can all understand that.:heart:

Since this is a new group some input would be great. How would you like this thread to be run? Do you like the thought of daily challenges or topics? Weekly? What would you like to get out of this thread? Any thoughts would be great. Do you just want a place to come home and post daily what sort of day you are having!

Take Care
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    I think I would enjoy either weekly or monthly challenges. I seem to stay better motivated if I'm working on a short term "do-able" in addition to the longer journey I'm on.

I also enjoy reading posts about how folks handle the challenges they encounter. I like posting those sometimes myself...it's good to vent every now and then.

And of course, we all like to post (and read about) each others' successes!

That's my two cents (or "pence" as they say in England).

katzpawz
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I think it's a great idea keeping the numbers down, we can all really root for each other that way but also be there when we hit any stale patches.

I think a daily topic would be good.? We can get to know each other better that way and be more comfortable with each other when we need support ?

I am interested to hear what everyone is doing to get to their goals, what plans they are following. Joanna x
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I think I would enjoy either weekly or monthly challenges. I seem to stay better motivated if I'm working on a short term "do-able" in addition to the longer journey I'm on.

I also enjoy reading posts about how folks handle the challenges they encounter. I like posting those sometimes myself...it's good to vent every now and then.

And of course, we all like to post (and read about) each others' successes!

That's my two cents (or "pence" as they say in England).

katzpawz

I would not mind weekly or monthly challenges also. I would not be able to keep up with daily themes and challenges for sure.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    So, might there still be room? I also agree that the other forums are helpful but I find it hard to keep track of people coming and going. I am just over 40....ha ha ha (54) lol
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I would love to see a day where we post NSV's, it doesn't have to do anything with food or exercise (though it can!) but something positive.

I also agree with short challenges, I just finished a personal 2 week no-eat-out challenge. It was hard but worth it!
  • christyrussell2
    christyrussell2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I love the idea of a small close knit group!

I like to have a daily topic & a monthly challenge. Daily topics to talk about allow us to get to know each other & monthly challenges help us work to get healthier.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Its so nice to see so many of us who would like to have a smaller group to support and get support from. I will be sending you all a friends request soon and once we reach to top 20 number I will be sending the names to each of you of our 20 members to support on here. I am really focused on only keeping 20 members max. I hope you can all understand that.:heart:

Since this is a new group some input would be great. How would you like this thread to be run? Do you like the thought of daily challenges or topics? Weekly? What would you like to get out of this thread? Any thoughts would be great. Do you just want a place to come home and post daily what sort of day you are having!

Take Care

Oh THANK GOODNESS!! I can not keep up with that other thread! Although there is one "small" problem. I am not quite 40 yet. 9 months to go until I hit it though. Let me know if there is room and if you'll take me! :bigsmile:

Oh, and if you are taking my opinon into consideration, I ditto what Christy said!
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello, I would love to join this group. Im 46, and want to lose about 50 pounds. Did you get more than 20 requests yet? If not...please add me as a friend!

• cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Am I still one of the first 20? Obviously I didn't take time to count - wanted to get my reply in :bigsmile:
    Thanks,
    Cathy
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Ummm how to 'work' the group? Another group on here has different topics attached to each day (although anyone can say anything they want). For example:

Monday's = CHECK IN = everyone checks in (how has the week gone, did you loose, did you gain/stay same, what you feeling about how the last week went weight wise)
    Tuesday's = EXERCISE CHAT = what exercises are you planning to do/doing this week, DVDs, walking, gym etc etc and what you like about it what you don't like about it, how many times are you planning on going this week etc
    Wednesday = FOOD CHAT = Exchange what you have made for lunches, or breakfasts, or any new receipes etc this week, what you have tried and hated food wise
    Thursday = BIG CHANGE CHAT = How is being on MFP and the healthy eating plan affecting your life, (fitting into those jeans again this week, being able to walk longer than every before this week, this week I went swimming for the first time in 5 years, giving up chocolate for this week, introducing x into my diet this week etc)
    Friday = CHALLENGE FOR ME CHAT = what are you challenging yourself to do for the next week /how did last weeks challenge go (give up diet coke for the week, get up earlier to exercise, etc)
    Saturday = SHARE = Anything about you and your life, tell each other something (My mum was in hospital this week and I was worried and it affected my eating.... or my boss is putting pressure on me and I have been comfort eating.....or, I am going through a divorce etc etc) As all events can impact on emotional eating.
    Sunday = WEEKEND = What I did this weekend (self explanatory, about you saturday and sunday..... grand kids birthday party, weekend away etc etc)
    and back to monday again and so it goes....

Just an idea, feel free to disgard or other ideas?
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    I'm in it for the long haul! About 200lbs to lose here. Thanks for doing this Linda. Gotta go plug in before my battery dies.
    Will chat more later.
    Cassie